• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The day is upon us

darronb

Today i finally leave for my camino. It is with much excitement and just a little trepidation i sit this morning drinking tea patiently waiting for the next 10hrs to start the journey. This forum has been very helpful in so many ways and i would like to say thanks to all for your guidance and input even though we may never have actually met or spoken the posts have been most helpful.

I find myself thinking about the journey ahead everything is ready to go, but as always one finds a little niggle in the back of your head. It isn't the weather or the thought of not really having a plan regarding accommodation or much else for that matter on route, what absolutely scares the hell out of me is getting from kingscross station to Heathrow airport via the underground. It has been many years since I ventured into the capital let alone on the tube ☺

So there it is all the planning has payed off and the disappointment of having to cancel are forgotten, let the adventure begin. The road to Santiago awaits.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
darronb,

Oh happy day as you leave to begin your journey!

Have a wonderful Camino! May all your dreams and planning come true.

As Sir Walter Raleigh wrote in the 16th century in His Pilgrimage

"GIVE me my scallop-shell of quiet,
My staff of faith to walk upon,
My scrip of joy, immortal diet,
My bottle of salvation,
My gown of glory, hope's true guage;
And thus I'll take my pilgrimage....
"

Ultreia!

I am sure you'll be fine once you buckle up your backpack and walk out the door. Check for your passport/identification, credit card and phone (assuming you intend to take them), take a deep breath, and you're off! Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
darronb, buen camino. Looking forward to the first report, including the traumatic underground journey! Go safely, and take mspath’s quote as your mantra for when the feet are singing!

Kings Cross to Heathrow is easy. Just take the Piccadilly line straight, but note which terminal you are going to (I imagine, either 2 or 3 - which means get off at terminals 1, 2, 3 stop, or the later Terminal 5 stop). If you allow yourself 1.5 hours from Kings Cross (the journey will not take that long), it will help calm nerves that you may be late.

Some things for Ferrol that I did the afternoon I arrived, as I was dead nervous the evening before.

1. Realise that unless you venture to McDonalds, it is almost impossible to find an evening meal before 8.30pm.

2. I spent the late afternoon time walking the first 2 km of the Camino Ingles from the harbour through the old town, which meant that I could then just step out of my hotel next morning and join the Camino from where I left off, and it also cut 30 minutes off the long day to Pontedeume (if you are going that far).

3. I obtained a stamp that afternoon (dated next day if you want) from the tourist office next to the harbour (open 4 till 6pm in the afternoon). The tourist office only opens at 10am in the morning - too late for starting the Camino tomorrow. The tourist office also has credencials if you need

4. For good measure, I also obtained a sello in the morning from my hotel in Ferrol. Most hotels should be able to do this, and many in Ferrol also have credencials.

5. Went to the large supermarket at El Corte Ingles, to stock up on drinks and other provisions for the next day. The supermarket opens till 9pm, but again, only opens at 10am in the morning.

6. Looked round Ferrol, including the cathedral, which the Ingles walks by.

7. If walking all the way to Pontedeume, consider taking the short cut over the N-651 road bridge to Fene, as the first stage is very long. If you do this, you will still walk 100km from Ferrol to SdC and be eligible for a compostela (provided you have the minimum of 2 stamps per day).

I was also completely nervous on the first day. I am in my 50's, did no special training, and therefore, if I can do the Ingles in 5 days, anyone can. The stages are long, but the uphill bits, in the main, come at the start of the day. The one thing I found was that shops, bars and restaurants were not as frequent as you imagine encountering, so I needed to stock up on things to eat on the way (including some bread and meat for sandwiches), and with ample rest, you make it. The longest stage was 9 hours, but at a steady, not fast, pace

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen Camino @darrenob. Walked this route in May 2016 and really enjoyed it. After a couple of days on my own, met the most amazing people and we're still in touch. If you are not going too far on your first day, I would recommend Hotel Kensington in Narón for cheap and cheerful-very kind people there and lovely food. Also El Rey de Bacalao in Betanzos. Smiling to myself here just thinking about that trip. Enjoy.

Today i finally leave for my camino. It is with much excitement and just a little trepidation i sit this morning drinking tea patiently waiting for the next 10hrs to start the journey. This forum has been very helpful in so many ways and i would like to say thanks to all for your guidance and input even though we may never have actually met or spoken the posts have been most helpful.

I find myself thinking about the journey ahead everything is ready to go, but as always one finds a little niggle in the back of your head. It isn't the weather or the thought of not really having a plan regarding accommodation or much else for that matter on route, what absolutely scares the hell out of me is getting from kingscross station to Heathrow airport via the underground. It has been many years since I ventured into the capital let alone on the tube ☺

So there it is all the planning has payed off and the disappointment of having to cancel are forgotten, let the adventure begin. The road to Santiago awaits.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wishing yo a wonderful adventure!!! Buon Camino! Enjoy the camino and let us know how you are doing!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back