• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The days after Santiago

19SY69

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguēs (2015), Primitivo (2016), del Northe (2018), Del Salvador/Primitvo (2020)
Hi all,

After arriving in Santiago I still have some days left :). Plan is to arrive in Santiago July 20th and leave the 22th. I will be flying back from Porto the 26th late in the evening. Anyone suggestions for those four days? I will walk the coastal on my way to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A quick trip to Finisterre or better still Muxia.
Buen Camino.

I was thinking about that as well, but want to be away from Santiago before the 25th. I don't want to get stuck there because of the festivities on saint James day.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was thinking about that as well, but want to be away from Santiago before the 25th. I don't want to get stuck there because of the festivities on saint James day.
As you are on your way back to Porto the other place I would recommend would Baiona, you will probably walk through it on your way to Santiago but it is a beautiful town with friendly people and lovely beaches. There is a Camping ground just outside the town where you can rent small chalets or permanent tents at a reasonable price. This is where I would chill out for a few days.
https://www.google.ie/maps/@42.1160418,-8.8231237,2757m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Will you get to spend some time in Porto before you walk? If not, there is a lot to see and do there, if you want to get out of the Santiago area and just chill in Porto before flying home. Let us know if you'd like some recommendations.
Buen Camino! I've heard the coastal way is beautiful - enjoy it all!
Faith

As you are on your way back to Porto the other place I would recommend would Baiona, you will probably walk through it on your way to Santiago but it is a beautiful town with friendly people and lovely beaches. There is a Camping ground just outside the town where you can rent small chalets or permanent tents at a reasonable price. This is where I would chill out for a few days.
https://www.google.ie/maps/@42.1160418,-8.8231237,2757m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Yes its on my route! I actually planned to walk from Mougás to Baiona on the way to Santiago, and find me a place to stay there.

Will you get to spend some time in Porto before you walk? If not, there is a lot to see and do there, if you want to get out of the Santiago area and just chill in Porto before flying home. Let us know if you'd like some recommendations.
Buen Camino! I've heard the coastal way is beautiful - enjoy it all!
Faith

I've already been to Porto, and I really love the city. But recommendations are always more than welcome :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Cool that you've already been! If you haven't previously done these things, our family enjoyed:
1) Crossing over to Vila Nova de Gaia and taking a boat tour of the river Douro
2) Taking a Teleférico ride (skyline car ride, also in Vila Nova de Gaia)
3) Visiting the historic Majestic cafe in Porto (although it was pretty pricey!)
4) Just walking around and enjoying the town.

We also wanted to visit the Lello and Irmão bookstore but it was closed for inventory when we were there. Next time, then! As you can see, we were total tourists when we went to Porto but we found that those "attractions" were actually well worth the money :)

Have fun, whatever you decide to do with your extra days!
Faith

Hello 19SH,
If you want to go to Porto by bus to catch your flight, don't forget to get your busticket in advance (maybe after you've decided what to do the last days) to be sure to be on board.
On the route from SdC the next one goes 4 hours later.
Bon Camino,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello 19SH,
If you want to go to Porto by bus to catch your flight, don't forget to get your busticket in advance (maybe after you've decided what to do the last days) to be sure to be on board.
Bon Camino,

Very usefull. Thanks!!

Hello 19SH,
Bon Camino,
Good to know. Thanks:)

Hello 19SH,
Bon Camino,
In addition to @GeraldD From the cathedral it is an about 20 minutes walk to the busstation.
We booked the bus two days in advance at the tourist information in Santiago, by then close by the pilgrims office at the rúa do Vilar

Other item about buses in common in Spain. Allready discussed here on the forum several times but better be warned on before hand.
Once being at the bus station or a station on route e.g .in Vigo or Porto airport the busdriver opens the luggage compartment underneath the bus but leaves it unattended while you are sitting in the bus waiting for the departure.
It happened already that luggage was stolen..
So keep an eye as long as possible at your belongings by waiting outside the bus.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Braga, guimaraes and barcelos are all easy and great one day trips from porto.
Hi all,

After arriving in Santiago I still have some days left :). Plan is to arrive in Santiago July 20th and leave the 22th. I will be flying back from Porto the 26th late in the evening. Anyone suggestions for those four days? I will walk the coastal on my way to Santiago.
a

Hi all,

Hi,
You have a nice tour for traditional food
http://www.tasteportofoodtours.com

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back