• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The dice is cast - Camino Ingles july 2017

Purky

Intermittent Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Reality is frequently inaccurate
After I convinced my wife to three weeks hiking the Dutch Pieterpad this coming summer, I still felt I hadn't planned enough. I knew there was room for another week somewhere, so a solo hike in Spain on one of the shorter caminos was very possible and also very tempting.
But I was also feeling worried about my 16 year old son, who has developed a case of teenage depression. He does well in school and engages in sports at least three times a week, so it's not a full blown clinical depression, but it still feels like more than teenage growing pains, so that had to be adressed.
And suddenly it clicked. He had earlier expressed some (remember: teenager) interest in my camino last year, so why not bring him along for a week? Get him out of his room and away from his computer and introduce him into the world of the pilgrim. Broaden his horizon. I presented this idea to him and he actually liked it!
I gave him a choice between walking the Camino del Salvador, Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia or the Camino Ingles, all doable in a week. He chose the Ingles, because he wanted to walk toward and into Santiago. A perfectly acceptable rationale, so the dice was cast.
I'm now into full planning mode so I will be looking at whatever I can dig up from this forum regarding our upcoming camino. I already found the Johnnie Walker Guide, so that is most of it covered, and I can feel the anticipation getting a firm grip. He laughs at my enthusiasm, so that is already a step in the right direction as far as I'm concerned. Onwards and upwards!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Purky,

Perfect choice. Long enough for a Camino feeling and not too long for him to get maybe bored.
Seeing the schoolholidays you might bump into other teens !
All the best with the planning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Purky,

Hope you are enjoying planning for the trip...having been said grumpy teenager with a father who could walk for 8 hours without stop, be gentle with the rest breaks! Really though, the memories I have of being on camino with my father are just about the most treasured I hold, so hope you can make it a special time for the family.

In terms of practicality, as a mainly English speaker with limited Spanish, don't expect the kind of common mastery of English you will find in people living along the Frances. The 28 km day in the middle is a bit of a challenge, so the pickup service to the hostel at the top might be worth considering if his stamina doesn't quite match yours. Nonetheless, it is a great Camino, and I enjoyed greatly last year. Hope it is great for you.

if his stamina doesn't quite match yours

My son is a former rugby player, now boxes and does some sort of cross-fit training extra, just for fun. I'm in good shape, but still hope he will take pity on me... ;)

My son is a former rugby player, now boxes and does some sort of cross-fit training extra, just for fun. I'm in good shape, but still hope he will take pity on me... ;)

I've played a fair amount of rugby too and regularly went to the gym, but I found that the stamina for walking for hours is a different type of stamina for running around for an hour. I maintain my go easy on him comment! Hopefully you both enjoy!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Booked the tickets to SdC today. Me and my son will arrive on mondag july 10th, probably stay the night and bus to Ferrol bright and early the next morning. Most likely off to Neda that tuesday as well. Maybe we'll see you down the road somewhere!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Beautiful walking weather on the Camino Ingles today
On one of the FB forums, someone asked about detouring to Fragas do Eume, just outside of Pontedeume, and it looks amazing. Since I'm splitting up Ferrol - Pontedeume into two days (taking the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back