• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Difference between water and beer on Camino

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
Hi - now, we all know that we need to hydrate throughout the day - most important - but when the walking is done it is also important to know the difference between water and beer.

This is actual footage taken in a bar in Los Arcos (works with Rioja too) ;);)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi - now, we all know that we need to hydrate throughout the day - most important - but when the walking is done it is also important to know the difference between water and beer.

😂😂😂

Beer, it's what's for breakfast... OR Beer, the breakfast of champions...

But seriously, beer was invented way back in ancient times, so the water quality or lack of same would not kill you. So, in that context, beer is ALWAYS safe to drink. Water, depending on the sourcing, MAY be safe to drink.

At least that is my rule. Also, I avoid drinking ANY alcohol if I have much more walking to do. I have a hard enough time staying vertical sober... Why add a further complication...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As we all know, beer is nothing more than water infused with some flower buds (hops), grains (barley) and a pinch of sugar to make the medicine go down... I mean, seriously, the health food label practically writes itself!!! Drink Beer - Be Healthy 👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When birthday is celebrated in Germany during the day, not in the evening (mostly "round" birthdays like 75 oder 80), the celebration often starts at 11:00 or 12:00 am. So a tradition has developed, after which beer may be drunk only after listening the church bells at noon.

That's how we did it on the Camino;).

If I have still something to walk, I like to drink Radler, a mixture of beer and lemonade (Sprite), which is very popular in Germany. At my first camino this was almost unknown in Spain and it could happen that I ordered "cerveca con lemon" and got, after a confused view, beer with a slice of lemon:eek:.
Meanwhile, Radler is well-known in Spain as "Mixta" and you even get it freshly tapped, even with a beer without alcohol. Ideal for a break during the walk.

I don´t know if this mix is known in the "English-speaking world", but it's worth to try it.🍺

Last edited:
A Radler is called a "shandy" or lemon shandy" in the US

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This lemonade and beer mixture is also known as a "clara" in Spain. It has become my new, favorite warm weather drink. Typically it is a half glass of Kaz lemon soda, topped off with the local beer. A good friend from Bilbao, who lives in Ireland, turned me on to these. They are pretty much the same as a shandy.

One way to save money, is to order a bottle of Kaz with a glass, and a beer also with a glass. That will give you the necessary components to mix at least two "claras..." In some places carbonated sodas actually cost MORE than beer... Go figure!

I am also partial to Tinto Verano... This is a similar mixed drink with half a glass of Kaz lemon soda topped off with a decent red wine. Very refreshing... Be careful though, they sell pre mixed Tino Verano in supermercados. It is not as good as the fresh mixed type, at least iMHO...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When birthday is celebrated in Germany during the day, not in the evening (mostly "round" birthdays like 75 oder 80), the celebration often starts at 11:00 or 12:00 am. So a tradition has developed, after which beer may be drunk only after listening the church bells at noon.

If I have still something to walk, I like to drink Radler, a mixture of beer and lemonade (Sprite), which is very popular in Germany. At my first camino this was almost unknown in Spain and it could happen that I ordered "cerveca con lemon" and got, after a confused view, beer with a slice of lemon:eek:.
Meanwhile, Radler is well-known in Spain as "Mixta" and you even get it freshly tapped, even with a beer without alcohol. Ideal for a break during the walk.

I don´t know if this mix is known in the "English-speaking world", but it's worth to try it.🍺
Michael, one of my brothers is quoted as saying, it is always 12 o’clock somewhere... so drink up!

Great tip, @t2andreo 😊 . 🍻

I first learned of clara, aka cerveza con limon, last fall on the Camino. Apparently it has now become quite popular and no wonder. Very refreshing. Never a problem or odd look ordering it.

I haven't tried running my finger around the rim of the glass, though, to see if an orchestra strikes up. Guess I'll have to go back. 😄

That result was so unexpected 😂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A Radler is called a "shandy" or lemon shandy" in the US

"Each country has its own name. In France and Switzerland, they call it Panaché. In Germany, the name is Radler and the Spanish call it Clara." In Portugal, you may find it called "Radler"--the bottled kind made by Sagres beer has this name--but also Panaché. Excellent in hot weather--not so boozy as beer.

Hilarious you all! I had a German friend on the Camino Primitivo who always ordered a "Shandy sin alcohol" and she always got the Shandy without alcohol, no questions asked. When I googled it, this is some of the images I got:

00118604600348____1__600x600.jpgdownload.jpg3.jpgdownload (1).jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

We call it a shandy or beer shandy. A most refreshing drink!

Beer, it's what's for breakfast... OR Beer, the breakfast of champions...

But seriously, beer was invented way back in ancient times, so the water quality or lack of same would not kill you. So, in that context, beer is ALWAYS safe to drink. Water, depending on the sourcing, MAY be safe to drink.

At least that is my rule. Also, I avoid drinking ANY alcohol if I have much more walking to do. I have a hard enough time staying vertical sober... Why add a further complication...
I envy those people who can stop for lunch and enjoy some alcoholic beverages. I would be asleep under the table and done for the day!

Ok. So far, so bad. Think dehydration! (by the way, I am wearing my bicycle helmet for protection from the onslaught of responses!)
Dehydration is your friend when there are no bathrooms to be found. Just sayin'!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This lemonade and beer mixture is also known as a "clara" in Spain. It has become my new, favorite warm weather drink. Typically it is a half glass of Kaz lemon soda, topped off with the local beer. A good friend from Bilbao, who lives in Ireland, turned me on to these. They are pretty much the same as a shandy.

One way to save money, is to order a bottle of Kaz with a glass, and a beer also with a glass. That will give you the necessary components to mix at least two "claras..." In some places carbonated sodas actually cost MORE than beer... Go figure!

I am also partial to Tinto Verano... This is a similar mixed drink with half a glass of Kaz lemon soda topped off with a decent red wine. Very refreshing... Be careful though, they sell pre mixed Tino Verano in supermercados. It is not as good as the fresh mixed type, at least iMHO...

I hope this helps.
We had tinto verano in the south of Spain and it was more of a Sangria spritzer. Very refreshing and less headache inducing in the August heat!

In one city, several places will likely have a slightly different formula. BUt it is still the ONLY permissible use of ice cubes in red wine...;)

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back