• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The differente between doing it by foot or by bike?

Marcel234

“Not all those who wander are lost.”
Time of past OR future Camino
2009/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 and this June 2017
Has anyone done both. I've been on the camino several times, always by foot. This year I wanted to do the same. I am going to walk with my father, my sister and a friend from Pamplona to Logrono ( last year we did st jean - Pamplona ). After this I wanted to walk from Logrono to Santiago in 12-14 days with 2 friends. They say its to much for them so we decided to do st jean - Santiago by bike. We are all experienced on doing the camino. But has anyone done both by foot and cycling? What did you like better? What's the difference. Do you have the 'camino feeling' when doing it by bike?

Grtz

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We met a woman who was biking the Camino with her husband after she had walked it solo the year before. Her comment was that biking required far more attention to the mechanics of actually moving along; concentrating on where the bike was going, constantly having to avoid obstacles, checking maps, fixing punctures. She said she was always having to watch the ground in front of the bike and she felt she was missing the surrounding sights and landscape. She also missed walking and talking with other pilgrims. And the meditative aspects of walking. The good side was the ability to go "off Camino" to see side attractions and find alternative food and accommodation. All in all it was a very different experience.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ihave biked many caminos, walked some sections. I would somewhat agree with the above post, but it is relative to bike skills and experience. We have not had a flat for two years with my tubeless tires, the map is in the GPS on my handlebars, and we both bike like it is an extention of our legs. We talk to lots of pilgrims, walkers and cyclists.

You do get a longer look at things walking. Sometimes that is good, in the Meseta it is open to debate. Biking gives you freedom to push on extra km's to find the right place to stay.

I you are not skilled at mountain biking with a load, and don't have top quality gear, you might find it a bit of a struggle, at least to start,and that might dominate the "camino experience". For us, we love the simple life, with endless trail from one historic spot to another laid out in front of us, shared with an international group. We find that on our bikes just fine.

We are starting our Francigena ride today.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Camino by bike is a bit quick... but not much.
Advantages:
- Your feet and knees will thank you. Your back too.
- If you have a few days, but you want do more distance that it is posible by foot
- It mean a challenge, too
- It allows you trying other way for trip
- You decide the speed. You can ciclyn more slowly when you want. Sometimes you can go like on foot pilgrims, but ir you need, you can acelerate.

If you need a bike at the start point, and you want return it in Santiago, this page can be of your interest: http://www.bikenbabia.com

Marcel234 said:
After this I wanted to walk from Logrono to Santiago in 12-14 days with 2 friends. They say its to much for them so we decided to do st jean - Santiago by bike. Grtz

From Logrono to Santiago in two weeks??? 620km - that's average of 44km/day!!! Wow, that's completely insane :lol:
It's really better you chosed the bike!

In 2011 I've met a guy from Manchester (we were talking at Acacio y Orietta in Viloria de la Rioja) which was walking the CF at that time. But he knew everything on Camino because a year before he did it on the bike. I asked him why this change from bike to foot. And he answered very simple - it was too fast by a bike for all the beauties of the Camino :)

I'm not a cyclist, but just thought of pass this anecdote on.

Ultreia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have huge respect for those who cycle the Camino. I saw many of them last year battling against strong headwinds and driving rain, carrying all their gear on the bike. Also walking through deep heavy mud that clogged wheels, brakes and forks. Doing the Camino on a bike is not an easier option IMO. I'll stick to walking.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back