• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Dragonte Option

Sanchezac

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2011, 2012 & 2013
Hi all, APOC member Patrick Eibergen and I have spent a few days last week waymarking the whole Dragonte route from Villafranca del Bierzo to Las Herrerias for those intrepid enough to walk it. We believe that it's now doable without getting lost, and for those looking for the correct exit in Villafranca del Bierzo (which is not marked) you cross the pilgrim bridge in town, ignore the right turn up for the Camino Duro, and when the road sweeps right to follow the regular Camino Frances - bear left and continue passing the N-VI tunnel to your right and crossing the main road (carefully) then proceeding towards Corullon until you see a sign to Dragonte up to the right which you should take.

Buen Camino to all, and I would love to hear from pilgrims who have navigated the Dragonte route since October 1st 2016 with our new waymarking to give feedback!

Matt

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks! Maybe next time. It was just too hot last August to try something new and more demanding and it was also a bit late in the day.
But it is definitely tempting! :)

Many thanks for doing this! Any chance you could write up a sweet and short guide for the resources section here? That would be so helpful! Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many thanks for doing this! Any chance you could write up a sweet and short guide for the resources section here? That would be so helpful! Buen Camino, SY
Nice idea, I know Patrick has kept a blog so I'll link that in. I used John Brierley's written description as a rough guide, however there were 3 mistakes that would send a pilgrim well off course - I have emailed him with correction, so hopefully that'll make the 2017 edition.

I've walked the Dragonte option on all three of my caminos and plan on walking it again when I hit it this November, currently in Toulouse on the Arles way, I never got lost or saw another pilgrim on the route. It's a nice quiet beautiful option but not for everyone I suppose. It definitely wasn't well way marked and without the Brierley guide I would definitely had gotten lost the first time. The second and third time I remembered the way without the guide. Looking forward to seeing your handy work, thanks :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Dragonte option is one of the few remaining ways to make one's Camino unique. A map and markings may make it easier. Adding some cafes and beds would be even better!
The owner of the Albergue Leo in Villafranca have a museum house in Dragonte that they are thinking of opening up as an albergue in the near future! I have also heard that in Villasinde they may have one in 2018

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked the Dragonte yesterday (Oct 13) without getting lost once, and probably due to your well placed little arrows, Matt! Thanks to you & Patrick for taking the time to do it.

The one place I had doubts about was OK the second ascent after the old ruins at the bottom. The hairpin path up the hill pops out at a junction about halfway up and I wasn't sure whether to go left or right. There was actually a digger there so the extra path may be quite new. The answer for anyone else doing it is GO RIGHT!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who keep the paths and arrows fresh for all us other pilgrims.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Dragonte yesterday (Oct 13) without getting lost once, and probably due to your well placed little arrows, Matt! Thanks to you & Patrick for taking the time to do it.

The one place I had doubts about was OK the second ascent after the old ruins at the bottom. The hairpin path up the hill pops out at a junction about halfway up and I wasn't sure whether to go left or right. There was actually a digger there so the extra path may be quite new. The answer for anyone else doing it is GO RIGHT!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who keep the paths and arrows fresh for all us other pilgrims.

Great stuff, there should be an arrow on a rock there by the new digger path on the ground - you may have missed it, or it may have been moved! I'm really glad you found it ok and I hope many more will be encouraged to take this beautiful route!

Hi all, APOC member Patrick Eibergen and I have spent a few days last week waymarking the whole Dragonte route from Villafranca del Bierzo to Las Herrerias for those intrepid enough to walk it. We believe that it's now doable without getting lost, and for those looking for the correct exit in Villafranca del Bierzo (which is not marked) you cross the pilgrim bridge in town, ignore the right turn up for the Camino Duro, and when the road sweeps right to follow the regular Camino Frances - bear left and continue passing the N-VI tunnel to your right and crossing the main road (carefully) then proceeding towards Corullon until you see a sign to Dragonte up to the right which you should take.

Buen Camino to all, and I would love to hear from pilgrims who have navigated the Dragonte route since October 1st 2016 with our new waymarking to give feedback!

Matt
I'll be taking this route around the back end of June 2018. Spent the last few days reading up on it so I don't get lost. Good to hear some arrows have been placed. I'll be making notes along the way to post when I get back. Hopefully all the work you did is as you left it.

Matt

Hi Matt and Patrick, my friends and I walked the Dragonte in May and wrote thank you notes to the both of you. I'd like to send them your way. Can you send me your addresses in a DM (if that's possible on this site? I registered to be able to send this message :)) Bye! Irene from Amsterdam

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.