• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The dreaded blisters...

Darren John

Afternoon Camino Community,

Later this year I will be walking my Camino and have heard many variations to help against getting blisters but can anyone give there advice from the experience they've had with blisters along the Camino?

Much thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IMO, there is no reason to ever have a blister. Take care of your feet. Use Vaseline or some other similar substance, good socks, double socks, liners etc. Most importantly listen to your feet. Blisters develop from friction. If you feel a hot spot or friction, STOP and address the area of concern. Use band-aids, compeed, tape or whatever you have but deal with the issue when it begins.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Darren!
There are other forum entries giving much more information.
I'm afraid I disagree with Jo - some of us simply have 'fairy feet' which generate blisters more readily than others. I know I do, having tried all the things Jo mentions - all to no avail with me.
If you can't find the other forum, drop me a personal message.
Kind regards from grey England ..... and Wales may not be much better ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Darren - welcome to the Forum!
Back in September last year, I posted this comment:
BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to average no more than around 22-24 kms a day - occasionally down to 15 kms.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters!]

BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to average no more than around 22-24 kms a day - occasionally down to 15 kms.
Much obliged Stephen :cool:

Darren, congratulations on asking the right questions. On the Camino, I think pilgrims are little more than life support systems for their feet.

To avoid or minimize blisters, really focus on your footwear--boots and socks--and the time of year you are walking. There are lots of threads and lots of answers, and my answer would depend on the season I was walking. For a summer Camino (July/August 2014), leather hiking boots were too hot, leading to heat rash and some amazing blister. For me the ultimate answer (after several intermittent steps), was Keen hiking sandals (for the rougher bits and rain) and Merrell hiking shoes. Were I to do it again, I'd replace the Merrells with running shoes designed for concrete and asphalt (there is a lot of that on the Camino, more than I want to remember). That set up, that focused on maximum coolness and breathability, would probably have been a disaster in the spring rains.

For socks, I switched from the backpacking method (polypro liner inside wool socks) to just a coolmax sock with some extra padding on the heals and balls of my feet. Again, for a very hot, dry Camino in mid-summer.

Additionally, a word on blister treatment. When backpacking (3-5 day trips), I would never puncture a blister. Just molefoam doughnut around it to pad it. That method works for backpacking 50 miles, but did not work for 500 miles. I had use the "nuns" method--use a needle and thread, leaving the thread in the blister to drain overnight. And keeping the feet drier--changing socks every 90 minutes; using foot powder in the socks, using moisturizer after the shower and again before bed.

The biggest lesson I learned from the Camino was that you can screw up and mangle yourself pretty badly with blisters beyond words, and still manage to limp all the way to Santiago. Applies to life too, not just walking.

May you not mangle your feet so you can get to learn a different lesson,
Jo Jo

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This year I decided to use panty liners... I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP,
Saw the worst blisters ever last fall on the bottom of a man's feet - he had walked in the rain for hours, with wet feet, and then pulled the skin off! His feet were raw flesh. A fellow pilgrim suggested pantyliners as well, actually he was suggesting a thicker pad, and putting it sticky side DOWN. The logic was that the pad would absorb blood and other liquid from the wound. He would then tape the pad to the foot with ducktape. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

Afternoon Camino Community,

Later this year I will be walking my Camino and have heard many variations to help against getting blisters but can anyone give there advice from the experience they've had with blisters along the Camino?

Much thanks!

Hi Darren,
If you walk in the period between late July =August= Sept you could walk half the camino in sandals.
You would be very surprised how many people use both shoes/sandals.
The dutch will have the socks as well , but my feet come alive when i change.
Just avoid the friction in the shoes and as Stephen said , wisely, a 22km walk is a beautiful day , and when ever you feel the pressure your feet will love a short day and a rest , not a sightseeing walking day off.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'd say half my Camino's have been blister free, but half have not. Obviously the first thing is to try to prevent them but mine usually happen right on the balls of my feet, so not from anything specifically. They don't worry me unduly as long as I deal with them by popping them early and frequently (with a sterile needle) and keeping the skin intact. Keeping the skin intact is really, really important - once it tears there are real problems. If skin is very delicate it is worth preventative taping or using second skin spray or similar. I'm also going to try @Stephen Nicholls trick.

My advice would be:
Wear trail runners, not boots (unless you already have a well-broken in pair of boots that you have walked MILES in)
(I see a LOT of new boot wearers with blisters not only on their feet but around their ankles where the boot tops rub).
Shower at night so your feet have time to dry out.
Slap on the Compeed as soon as you feel a hot spot starting.
Never take it off... let it fall off

I am like Kanga.
I get blisters sometimes, depending on where I'm walking and how much I'm carrying.
I have one little toe that sits under the toe next to it, and that is generally where my issues lie, so I try to tape that toe up before I start out each morning.
Also, I have gotten blisters from cutting my innersole wront, and so my foot is pinched just a bit between the innersole and the shoe, making a tiny, but painful blister.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keep your feet dry
Keep yourself hydrated
Do not use compeed, just ordinary tape on the hotspots

In 2012, my wife and I both suffered blisters and black toe nails. Used correctly sized boots and thick hiking socks.
In 2014, we used medium weight smartwool socks, half size larger boot (with largest toe box we could find, but well fitted heel), started the day with dry feet, changed socks at midday and more often if needed, taped at the first sign of hotspot, stayed hydrated, and we went 750 km without an issue. We had liners and creams etc., but never used them.
Our last 3 days were in soaked boots, but the dry socks worked for us.
We were fortunate.

Buen Viaje

Rub some vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rub, Bag Balm or St-John's wart oil before heading out in the morning. I also apply after my shower at the end of day, but have to be careful since my feet then slip around in my Crocs ;0)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rub some vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rub, Bag Balm or St-John's wart oil before heading out in the morning. I also apply after my shower at the end of day, but have to be careful since my feet then slip around in my Crocs ;0)

Paw Paw cream great after the days walk

Saw the worst blisters ever last fall on the bottom of a man's feet - he had walked in the rain for hours, with wet feet, and then pulled the skin off! His feet were raw flesh. A fellow pilgrim suggested pantyliners as well, actually he was suggesting a thicker pad, and putting it sticky side DOWN. The logic was that the pad would absorb blood and other liquid from the wound. He would then tape the pad to the foot with ducktape. I thought it was a brilliant idea.
Sounds like a good idea if the blisters have already formed and are open.
Interesting idea, Anemone, but I hope my blisters never reach that stage!!! :eek:

Sounds like a good idea if the blisters have already formed and are open.
Interesting idea, Anemone, but I hope my blisters never reach that stage!!! :eek:
Would not wish that on my worst ennemy. The poor man. And that was in Deba, and he decided he was walking the next day, one of the toughest stretches on el Norte. Never saw him again, sorry to say.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
BLISTERS:

Stephen, I agree with you that some people have feet that simply seem to be prone to blisters. Also, sometimes walking conditions are such that you have no control (your hot spot develops 5 km between albergues and the rain will never end).
Oh, well.
I, however, knew about the panty liner solution before my camino and used it religiously. They really felt GOOD and I know they helped. I use them in my boots to this day. Get the big, cheap, cushy kind, not the slim, modern ones.
Just sayin'
:rolleyes:
Darren, welcome to the forum!
Listen to your feet. Take it easy and don't be afraid to pause.

Hi Darren,

I agree with Stephen - I had only one minor blister which caused me no pain on our Camino, but my wife struggled and had to resort to sandals at times.

The main blistering was on the front or just under the 2 smaller toes. The best prevention was taping them up with plaster every morning to minimise the friction. It takes a few minutes and a day or two to figure out how exactly how to place them best, but is worth the extra time.

I'll also second taking sandals along as a backup - having sandals means that you can possibly keep on walking on the days your blisters are recovering, instead of having to stop completely.

If you have the time, limit your walking to 20-25km a day - the risk of blisters grows exponentially on long days.

A last point than many people overlook - pack light! Every extra kg increases the pressure on your feet and your chance of blistering.

Regards,
Drew

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Darren,

I agree with Stephen - I had only one minor blister which caused me no pain on our Camino, but my wife struggled and had to resort to sandals at times.

The main blistering was on the front or just under the 2 smaller toes. The best prevention was taping them up with plaster every morning to minimise the friction. It takes a few minutes and a day or two to figure out how exactly how to place them best, but is worth the extra time.

I'll also second taking sandals along as a backup - having sandals means that you can possibly keep on walking on the days your blisters are recovering, instead of having to stop completely.

If you have the time, limit your walking to 20-25km a day - the risk of blisters grows exponentially on long days.

A last point than many people overlook - pack light! Every extra kg increases the pressure on your feet and your chance of blistering.

Regards,
Drew

Ecco or Merrell sandals have completed between 60% to 100% of all our camino's.
The feet love it.
Sandals with socks in the early morning, socks off by the second coffee stop.
Don't forget the vaseline or glide @ the start of each day....VIP
Her Majesty rubs paw paw cream on the feet @ the end of each day.

** 20-22km a delightful day enjoying the people and villages with less aches.
How many times when home did we think about the wonderful walk/camino we just had?
Very , very , very often .
** Then why hurry.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.