• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The dreaded blisters

Time of past OR future Camino
CFx5
Norte
Primitivo
CP
Le Puy-SJPP
Via F
Dear all, seen today in daily newspaper " a new study from Stanford university in USA found that only 30 runners out of 128 got blisters in taped areas compared with 81 of those who had not taped. Surgical tape is adhesive but easy to remove so it won't damage blisters if they do form. Can be bought widely from chemists.
Simply place a strip over vulnerable areas before you run(or walk) to protect against rubbing and friction "
So true. We have been doing this for years on our walks on the Camino and elsewhere and it really does work.
Can leave the tape on for weeks or when it comes off in the shower.
Has worked for us anyway. Hope this is helpful for all those who walk the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Do you wrap only in the places there is a problem?

Do you wrap only in the places there is a problem?
That's what we tend to do. We kind of know our hotspots now before we start. We tend to use Leucoplast tape( a brownish tape on a roll) and it works for us. However the last Camino, we saw a lady from Brazil who had put the thin white paper like surgical tape on all her toes and this worked for her. The secret is however I think, not to put too much on as this will give less space in the boots and cause friction in other places.
This I learned on our first Camino, when I had too many dressings on the feet and walked into Santiago on my knees as the more I put on, the tighter the boots got. Will never forget the pain!! And all my sins were wiped out I think!!! Now I wear thin socks------ change them about 6 times a day when they get wet from sweat and no blisters thank god. Best wishes

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's my fail-safe. I wrap toes and blister-prone areas as prevention. Learned about it on Rebecca Rushton blister prevention website.
Check it out. Brilliant.

Dear all, seen today in daily newspaper " a new study from Stanford university in USA found that only 30 runners out of 128 got blisters in taped areas compared with 81 of those who had not taped. Surgical tape is adhesive but easy to remove so it won't damage blisters if they do form. Can be bought widely from chemists.
Simply place a strip over vulnerable areas before you run(or walk) to protect against rubbing and friction "
So true. We have been doing this for years on our walks on the Camino and elsewhere and it really does work.
Has worked for us anyway. Hope this is helpful for all those who walk the Camino.

What tape do you use specifically? There is tape...and tape ;)

I use non elastic fabric tapes (Leukotape) and they work well for me, but these are for muscle/tendon support rather than blister prevention.
Then of course there is the type of tape that took the skin off Pat's legs when I pulled it off! :eek:

Is there a particular tape that is good for blister prevention?

Though I have to say, using vaseline and sheeps's wool, I didn't get any blisters.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What tape do you use specifically? There is tape...and tape ;)

I use non elastic fabric tapes (Leukotape) and they work well for me, but these are for muscle/tendon support rather than blister prevention.
Then of course there is the type of tape that took the skin off Pat's legs when I pulled it off! :eek:

Is there a particular tape that is good for blister prevention?

Though I have to say, using vaseline and sheeps's wool, I didn't get any blisters.
Hi Robo, Leukotape sounds the same as the Leukoplast we use.Its a German make and sometimes hard to find. It's 1 inch wide and light brown in colour.Another one we've used comes under the name of GALENO -- same thing really. On a hotspot toe,will stay on for ages.
Have also used this tape as strips on the ball of my husbands foot when sore. Works wonders. Don't know why!!! If it works, we don't try to analyse it too much!!
Also, always wet any kind of plaster before taking it off-- no pulling now!!!
As said above, some folk use the paper type surgical tape used mostly to keep on dressings but I find it too fiddly so keep to the Leukoplast and if it comes off just replace it.
Also, from experience think that sweaty feet is a major cause of blisters and I change the socks numerous times when walking( I take a bag of them with me!!)
So far, so good anyway. we have just hiked in the Alps for 12 days-- some hard and long walking and no blisters!
God bless Leukoplast!!
Best wishes Annette

The article--and the great blister website from OZ--recommends pain old paper tape.
I have to say it works very well for me. With the added advantage of being cheap, easily available pretty much everywhere, and nothing very high tech.

Everyone has their own best form of blister prevention. For me it was paper tape every morning on potential trouble spots (especially around toes). At first I was also applying glide and wrapping trouble toes with lambswool...but gave these up as extra. For me the tape was enough.

I also liked some tape called Omnifix that I got at a pharmacy in Leon (A surgeon from OZ told me about it). A total godsend, it worked for blister prevention, and to protect/treat pressure ulcers that I'd gotten from my pack's hip belt.It can stay on for day sat a time, but is breathable.

My daughters and I used nylon (popsock) stockings under cycling socks (decathlon own brand) and an occasional Compeed. One of my daughters got small blisters under her baby toes (she tends to get them there when she gets new trainers). In all, this method worked really well for us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Desperation is the mother of invention - last spring I had an infected blister on my achilles tendon (excessive friction from a footgear failure) but was too fixated on finishing to let it heal properly. Slathered it in ointment, covered it with gauze, then covered the whole thing with duct tape. Did an amazing job protecting and preventing further damage. I've since gotten in the habit of taping problem areas before I start, not a problem since.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A foam ear plug cut down the middle will act as an effective buffer between toes that rub together . As the foam is malleable and assumes the shape of its surrounds there is no need to tape it into place . One of these is perfect for between the little and next toe that is most prone to rubbing after your feet expand under load .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been using a K tape that was too cheap for K tape function but working well in blister prevention
BUT by day 3 even though they are well adhered the glue ( my sweat and dander) begin to smell. Off with them

I used the taping method and can attest to the fact it does work. If you are coming from England, Boots sell it. I brought two rolls and neede fresh supplies by the time I arrived at Burgos. Spanish pharmacists sell it at half the price Boots charge.
Taping is only half the solution though. Two pairs of socks is the other half of the solution to blister prevention. A thin pair next to the skin and a thicker merino wool sock on top. Bring three sets as sometimes you can't get the first set dry before they need to be put back on!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.