• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The earliest week that the trails are clear

See You Soon

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles 2017
Please give guestimates about the EARLIEST date /week you hikers have been able to safely walk the Norte. I expect the mud and a lack of services, BUT - - any ideas on when the best starting date from Santander would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and peace

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
well...
I am starting from the 10th of April .
Started last year around that time on the CF and that was good.
So I hope that will be the same on the North

Not sure what you mean by "safely". You're very unlikely to get snow on the Norte, and the temperatures are much milder - in fact I just checked and it's going to be 15°C in Santander next week (I recently came back from a Norte winter walk, and the weather was absolutely wonderful!) But there's ALWAYS a chance of rain, no matter the time of year. I walked in March last year it rained non stop, to the extent that it was completely flooded and impassable in places. From my own personal experience, I think from January to March are probably worst for winter weather, so I'd recommend waiting until April - no guarantee it won't rain, but at least it will be slightly warmer so that things can dry out and you won't freeze in a heating-free albergue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I usually plan my starts for a week after the week immediately following Easter Sunday. This places the Easter break surge of pilgrims ahead of me.

It follows logically that places are open for this season-opening business and will be open when I get there. At least this has been my experience for my past six Caminos.

There is a customary slump after this Easter surge, until the end of May, when universities let out in Europe and elsewhere. Then, starting in June, the seasonal traffic builds...fast.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I'm planning a trip in march but I want to know how busy it will be as its my first time and I have no experience of travel there. Any advice on where to start and what to pack weather wise?

Hi guys. I'm planning a trip in march but I want to know how busy it will be as its my first time and I have no experience of travel there. Any advice on where to start and what to pack weather wise?

Hi Shah, I'm afraid you haven't given us a lot of information to go on. A trip where? And you say that you have "no experience of travel there," but your profile says you did a camino in 2018? Finally, it might be best to start a new thread, so as not to hijack the original poster's question. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Shah, I'm afraid you haven't given us a lot of information to go on. A trip where? And you say that you have "no experience of travel there," but your profile says you did a camino in 2018? Finally, it might be best to start a new thread, so as not to hijack the original poster's question. :)
Lol so sorry. I actually planned it in 2018 but didn't go as my dear friend backed out. I'll make a new thread

I started early in May 2018 in Bilbao and walked as far as Santander and gave up due to the constant rain. I traveled south to Fromista and found better weather.

Lol so sorry. I actually planned it in 2018 but didn't go as my dear friend backed out. I'll make a new thread
Use the search function on the forum. It's likely that all of your questions have already been answered.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back