• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Easter Vigil denied.

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Now that places of worship have been closed across the world, including Australia, almost all of you Catholics out there will be denied attendance at this great celebration. I can't resist posting that my parish priest has just phoned me, inviting me to be one of two people to legally celebrate the Easter Vigil with him. For many years I have been the cantor who sings the Exultet, as indeed I shall be this year, and what a strange and memorable experience that will be.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now that places of worship have been closed across the world, including Australia, almost all of you Catholics out there will be denied attendance at this great celebration. I can't resist posting that my parish priest has just phoned me, inviting me to be one of two people to legally celebrate the Easter Vigil with him. For many years I have been the cantor who sings the Exultet, as indeed I shall be this year, and what a strange and memorable experience that will be.

No Easter service feels like Christmas has been cancelled.

Sing your heart out!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A "recovering Catholic" who remembers Latin mass and Cathecism classes, I YouTubed the Exultet and found a version in English. A powerful and clearly demanding vocal hymn expression of praise; will you sing in English or in Latin?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The Easter Vigil is my favorite night of the year. It's the night I was baptized 25 years ago and the evening brings back wonderful memories. My second (or maybe equally) favorite night of the year is midnight mass at Christmas. My church celebrates at 11:00 pm with carols from the choir starting at 10:30, and ends at midnight - Christmas Day. Surely this will all be over by then 🙏🙏

We have no Vigil but plan to stand at our front door on Easter Sunday morning at 10.00am to sing 'Thine be the glory.....' and share the proclamation 'Alleluia, Christ is risen; He is risen indeed, Alleluia '
Easter is not cancelled but sad to lose our processions this year.
Have a blessed Vigil @Peregrinopaul

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This was an interesting topic.

Jill and I will be holding a sunrise service for our household on the back deck. Later, we will listen to the streaming live/virtual Easter Service by our Pastor, since services are suspended until Shelter-in-Place orders are lifted.

I am interested in the use of the word denial in the title. I usually associate that word with two days before the Paschal event. The responses above have shown there are many creative responses to the measures that have been put in place to protect populations the world over in all walks of life. One such, which I forgot to watch yesterday but hope to do tomorrow, is an exercise session that takes place after the daily transmission of the liturgy. Two for the price of one: spiritual and physical exercises to keep us supple. Anyone who can access it, Sligo Cathedral, 10.30am Monday, Wednesday and Friday I believe. I looked on their website and didn’t find any mention of it, but I will try anyway. I will be honest though: I see this time as one for focussing on trying to support those in this time and space who are walking/ working right there with those who are ill with the virus. It is a symbolic support, but it is aimed at watching and waiting and hoping for that moment of blessed knowledge that it has been done, it has been conquered. That is the other half of my reason for marching up and down in the ugly space available to me at the back of our house, to keep me concentrating on trying to change my little effort at solidarity into some sense of support for those right in the thick of it. They will not hear about it, but it is my intention for them. Sorry, OP, if this is detracting from your Exultet. One of the most poignant cries from the human heart.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Palm Sunday link as we enter Holy Week. We stand together in prayer for Spain and our hearts go out to the nation during this time.

We plan to put a candle in our window tonight for a time, behind the little cross friends gave us for Good Friday. That will light up the cross to anyone walking past. (We are still allowed out for exercise here in the UK).
Then 'Sing Resurrection' on our doorsteps tomorrow morning for Easter Day.
A truly blessed Easter to all.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.