• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The electric coil changed my life on the Camino!

We will definitely be bringing a coil and a stash of teabags. I couldn't talk my wife into joining me on the Camino without these essentials, nor would I want to. The question is what to bring in terms of cups.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We will definitely be bringing a coil and a stash of teabags. I couldn't talk my wife into joining me on the Camino without these essentials, nor would I want to. The question is what to bring in terms of cups.

Hi, Kuznitz,
If you can stand scrolling through the many posts, you will see a lot of discussion about that topic on this thread. The first year I brought an old tin camping cup that stayed too hot. Since then I have brought something like this, http://www.rei.com/product/884337/g...D=120217890000757630&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

It is very light, and you can put the coil right into it. I threw out the top and just carry the cup. Works great.

Hi, Kuznitz,
If you can stand scrolling through the many posts, you will see a lot of discussion about that topic on this thread. The first year I brought an old tin camping cup that stayed too hot. Since then I have brought something like this, http://www.rei.com/product/884337/g...D=120217890000757630&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

It is very light, and you can put the coil right into it. I threw out the top and just carry the cup. Works great.
Thanks. That looks like a great option.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Coilers? I have just spent a rather enjoyable half an hour reading through this thread... I don't even really remember which path led me to you but I'm mighty glad I found you.

On the CF I did take tea bags, soup and decaf coffee... I just cant handle the full blow coffee :oops:

As I'm now decided on the VdlP (YEAH) I feel that maybe I should ask to join your club. I'm currently searching for calentadors, immersion coils and thermoplongeurs de voyage... I'll then get started on the cup. Just out of interest how long would it usually take to boil? Is 3 minutes a good average?

many thanks indeed :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@mspath or @peregrina2000 - Darty are selling the same item as the spanish shop quoted here... is this one of the recommended coils? It's 200gm... do you know of lighter options or would this be about right?

many thanks!

Which Spanish shop? Quoted where? 200 grams weight seems right.

Sorry - that was a bit vague of me :D

I was refering to this reply by @peregrina2000

Update from the Ferretería Julio. You can now order the electric coil directly from them, without using ebay.

Their new online store is here: http://www.ferreteriajulio.com/es/index

Up on the right where it says "buscar" type in "calentador de vaso". The products will come up. I see that they have two made by the same German company Marux. One is about 15 euros, seems comparable to what most of us have. But for 30 euros you can get one that can heat 15 liters of water to boiling in about 5 minutes. Seems like that might be overkill even for the most fanatic of the coil fanatics!

Buen camino, Laurie.

On reading back through again I also saw that the coil used to boil eggs is the same as the 'spanish shop' coil.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
OK, call me old fashioned. I have done a fair amount of mountain climbing and backpacking. While the Camino is not an isolated trail/road-system, there is always the potential for someone to get lost, hurt, or caught out in very bad weather. In the PNW where I live we are schooled to always take the 10 essential with you. Earlier someone commented on a jet-boil as a way to have something hot to drink anywhere, but kind of heavy (and not air transport friendly either).

I am planning on taking a metal cup and and Esbit pocket stove. I have literally saved a person who was exhausted, cold, wet and starting hypothermia, but sitting them down in the middle of a trail and cooking them some warm beef bouillon soup in the Cascade mountains. Not for use inside a building for a warm cup of coffee, but something that could really save the day if someone gets hurt and is out in the middle of nowhere in a cold rain.

https://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove

Ok. I got one for the Madrid route. Now I guess I should practice with it.
I also got a smaller 28L pack.
I suppose I can tie it to the outside! :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you, Coil Club, for a very entertaining and enlightening read! I have actually had one since 2000, when I used it to make cups of coffee and tea in my room which had no kitchen. That and a sandwich grill made life so much more comfortable. I have heard that some of you take it on the camino but I have never really seen the need, as I have mainly walked the Frances. I don't really mind starting the day on an empty stomach and just stopping when I find a bar/café. However in April I am walking with a newbie and she likes having a hot cup-a-soup before bed. I told her about my coil and she has now bought her own (in yellow!). That - and this thread - has convinced me that I should take my coil and cup this time. And green tea bags. And maybe some emergency cup-a-soups or stock cubes for a warming savoury brew on a cold and wet day. I have reduced my kit volume so much over the last couple of years that I have got room for little luxuries like that. And I like the idea of being able to boil an egg! So - where do I get my membership card?

Oh, and since we are all revealing our mugs, this is mine, a bright red one which I will hopefully not leave behind like I have done with the last two cups I have taken on my walks. It takes about 0.4 litres and weighs 70g, so coil+cup combo comes in at 200g. Very pleased with that! Now I'm off to research instant soups ...

Last edited:
Mug.jpg Hmm,, this is the first time I've tried to add a photo.. hope you can see my fabbo insulated press plunger mug.. can boil water in it, then add coffee/tea, add the plunger and presto-- plunger coffee/tea all in one crucible. weight.. utterly insignificant. Brand name Culinare. Gifted to me in Oz

View attachment 25250 Hmm,, this is the first time I've tried to add a photo.. hope you can see my fabbo insulated press plunger mug.. can boil water in it, then add coffee/tea, add the plunger and presto-- plunger coffee/tea all in one crucible. weight.. utterly insignificant. Brand name Culinare. Gifted to me in Oz
Oh I like that!
Any advice on where it's available from?
Regards

Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have an old coil somewhere. Will definitely get the dual voltage one.

Very entertaining thread going back to 2013! Read the whole thing.

I have titianium mug (Hot Lips concern), the larger pot, and the Vargo Triad titanium stove (1.6 oz!) that burns on alcohol or solid fuel tablets.

I do like my early morning tea and something to eat when I get up. Instant packets of flavored porridge, Ramen noodles, hot chocolate and who knows what other instant options are available. The hunt is on!!!

As someone who has done a lot of backpacking and mountaineering, fire and having something hot to eat/drink is a critical survival skill. On my biking Camino earlier this year, I took an Esbit survival stove and fuel tablets along with a metallic cup, and some instant soup mix. Had I broken down somewhere in the cold and rain, a hot cup of something would have made a world of difference until someone came down the trail.

Was it "overkill?" Yes, but just like the rather complete first aid kit I took, it was something I felt important. I took them both for me and for anyone who was unfortunate that I might come along. In the past with a slightly different camping stove, I helped someone with beginning hypothermia enough so they could hike out to a place where help was available. There is nothing wrong with being prepared.

An electric coil doesn't work on the trail, but a fuel burning stove doesn't work in an enclosed sleeping facility.

Speaking of hot lips and my titanium mug...

Amazon (USA) sells a 2-pack of Snow Peak Hotlips that clip on/attach to most mugs. $7. Free shipping with order of $49+

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm hereby confirming my membership in the Cult of the Heating Coil. It has provided hot porridge and hot tea in cold albergues, heated washing water when all the water was ice cold (it takes a while!), and weighs about the same as a couple of cereal bars.

As someone who has done a lot of backpacking and mountaineering, fire and having something hot to eat/drink is a critical survival skill. On my biking Camino earlier this year, I took an Esbit survival stove and fuel tablets along with a metallic cup, and some instant soup mix. Had I broken down somewhere in the cold and rain, a hot cup of something would have made a world of difference until someone came down the trail.

Was it "overkill?" Yes, but just like the rather complete first aid kit I took, it was something I felt important. I took them both for me and for anyone who was unfortunate that I might come along. In the past with a slightly different camping stove, I helped someone with beginning hypothermia enough so they could hike out to a place where help was available. There is nothing wrong with being prepared.

An electric coil doesn't work on the trail, but a fuel burning stove doesn't work in an enclosed sleeping facility.

My thoughts exactly. Every day, here on the streets of Los(t) Angeles, I carry a multi-tool, a cigarette lighter wrapped with a bit of hempwick, a tiny flashlight and a small compass. Sometimes I add a metal water bottle, some nylon cord and a Powerbar. These things and more will be with me on the Camino.

Does anyone know what happens if a person mindlessly puts their finger into the cup of heating water when the coil is still in there? The reason I ask is because I have known to definitely be mindless at times. The coil I am looking at is 220V for Europe and 800 Watts.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@pilgr You burn your finger! But, unless the coil is malfunctioning, you will not get an 'electric slap on the finger' if that is what you are afraid of. Buen Camino, SY

@pilgr You burn your finger! But, unless the coil is malfunctioning, you will not get an 'electric slap on the finger' if that is what you are afraid of. Buen Camino, SY
Ok. So there is not an issue of electricution. I thought the way those things work is grounding current through the water, heats the water.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ok. So there is not an issue of electricution. I thought the way those things work is grounding current through the water, heats the water.

Absolutely not! That would be far to dangerous and also wouldn't heat the water at all. BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

That espresso machine is a little heavy for my mochilla. My goal is hot water for soup and other vegetarian friendly foods. I felt awkward several times asking baristas in Spain to provide some hot water from their espresso machines. If this immersion heater is a viable option (without me getting electrocuted), great!

... If this immersion heater is a viable option (without me getting electrocuted), great!

These are very safe, just make sure that the cord isn't damaged etc. Also, in Germany and also in Spain (scroll in the article) we have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technischer_Überwachungsverein, I am not sure if you have something similar in the US?

Also, to avoid accidents, it is very important that the coil is always submerged in the liquid when working and that you supervise it closely so it doesn't 'steam away' all the liquid and gets dry. In Short RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual) Buen Camino, SY

If you didn't bring a container big enough to submerse the coil and there's nothing in the albergue kitchen, the tall glass jars of asparagus that all Spanish supermarkets sell are just the right size. Bonus: asparagus as a starter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also a good stable cup is a 'must'. Our travel mug is straight sided and so wide bottomed. Our melamine cup is narrow bottomed and would be far less stable.

So glad to see more aficionados in the electric coil club. :):pThough I am walking a highly trafficked camino this year, the Norte, I have been extremely happy to have my coil for making coffee. I doubted about whether to bring it. But it turns out there are still lots of places where nothing opens before 8.

I bought an Esbit mug off of EBay. Works well and made of aluminum with a stay-cool rim. Not sure of the weight but seems light and cost about $15 US. Would go well with a Esbit stove, heat tabs, etc.for those who like matching ensembles! Used it camping for several years, (mug, not the stove) w/o any problems. Have the stove but seems like overkill for a Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So glad to see more aficionados in the electric coil club. :):pThough I am walking a highly trafficked camino this year, the Norte, I have been extremely happy to have my coil for making coffee. I doubted about whether to bring it. But it turns out there are still lots of places where nothing opens before 8.

I took my coil on my first two Francis Caminos but left it at home the next two as I found plenty of coffee to fill my needs. I'm headed for the Portuguese however this Sept 2018 and wonder if I need to take it along because of fewer services for coffee?>

Well, if weight is not an issue, consider what my French friends Raymond and Etienne brought with them. They had a jet boil, http://www.jetboil.com/, and routinely made coffee out in the middle of nowhere. They had instant coffee and always carried a half liter of water just for that purpose. The only problem was finding gas canisters. They bought two in Valencia, two in Toledo, both at Decathlon. But they were running low by the time we hit the Sanabres.

Actually, the thermos flask is a good idea, since once the coffee is done you can just use it as a water bottle, no?

A Biolite will boil water with local fuel, dry leaves, sticks, grass, meadow muffins etc, no gas canisters required if weight is no option.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned cold brew coffee. It lacks the cozy warmth of a traditional coffee but can be made the night before with considerably less equipment. At least it staves off the 'ache.

Jetboil also makes a French Press kit, which is satisfying when you are on a mountaintop without an enchufe.

I'm headed for the Portuguese however this Sept 2018 and wonder if I need to take it along because of fewer services for coffee?

You’ll be able to find coffee every morning without any problem on the Portuguese.

I usually take my electric coil when staying in hotel rooms in Europe, as they rarely have a tea/coffee maker in the room, and being able to make a cup of coffee in my room, without having to go out and buying one, is worth the extra weight.

But I never take it on the Camino Francés or the Portuguese Caminos. I wouldn’t use it enough times to warrant carrying it.
Jill

You’ll be able to find coffee every morning without any problem on the Portuguese.

I usually take my electric coil when staying in hotel rooms in Europe, as they rarely have a tea/coffee maker in the room, and being able to make a cup of coffee in my room, without having to go out and buying one, is worth the extra weight.

But I never take it on the Camino Francés or the Portuguese Caminos. I wouldn’t use it enough times to warrant carrying it.
Jill
I agree that you don't need coils on the heavily traveled caminos. But I had one with me this year on the Norte, because I had started on the Baztán with few options. I was kind of surprised to find that I wound up using it a lot on the Norte, too -- in albergues where the kitchens are not equipped, or out in the several beautiful rural places I stayed where there was nothing around and where breakfast wasn´t served till 8 or so.

Jill
Thank you!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Jill
Do you think we will need an electric coil on the Madrid?

Do you think we will need an electric coil on the Madrid?

I am still undecided!
In another thread I asked Laurie, and she suggested I should. But after the first few days I hope to stay in albergues every night, where there are usually microwaves or kettles.
But I have never done the Madrid before, so I don't know those albergues.
I DO know that there may be several mornings when there is no cafe or bar open, and if the albergue has no microwave or kettle . . . . :eek:
Jill

My Camino packing list has been basically unchanged for the last decade. But this year, after reading the words of wisdom of iconic posters like sil, mspath, and anniesantiago, I decided to buy an immersible electric coil (plus plug adaptor) and a tin cup to bring on the Camino. I also brought a plastic baggie filled with instant coffee and in Spain bought a tube of condensed milk. I don't take sugar in my coffee usually, but I can't drink black coffee, so the condensed milk was the more palatable alternative. Altogether it probably weighed 500-800 g, so this was a considerable addition to the pack. But I had had too many coffee-free mornings on the Camino Vadiniense, Invierno, etc, and was looking for a solution.

I can't tell you how many times I thanked Sil, mspath and Annie for the tip. If you're in an albergue with a kitchen, you won't need it, but the caminos I've walked lately don't have a whole lot of those. Of the 44 days of my last camino, I'll bet I used it more than 35 mornings. I will never walk again without it, thank you thank you thank you!

Can you buy the coils on the prilgrimage?

Can you buy the coils on the prilgrimage?
Sorry, Maryvk, I really don’t know. I know they are called “calentador de vaso” and the kind of store you would find them is a ferreteria (kind of like a hardware store but broader). I see them online for sale at Amazon’s Spain site, amazon.es, so I imagine they are available. One place I would not recommend getting the coil or any electronic device is in one of the ubiquitous “tiendas de chinos.” (Kind of like what we would call dollar stores in the US, they are always owned by Chinese people and tend to have a little of everything). I know several people who have bought phone chargers there and found that they were terrible quality.

Hope you find the coil — you don’t say which camino you are walking but if it is the Frances, a coil might be overkill since there are cafes everywhere that are open at all hours to cater to pilgris! Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my trips to different countries my husband and I have brought a small french press and a small electric kettle. This has always been very enjoyable in countries where morning coffees are not the norm and always very important also to keep our daily costs down. When planning for the Camino Frances I know that these would be too large and the weight too much, so I love the idea of a coil and a mug. Also, although my favorite brew is Cafe Bustello, I am fine with instant. I know that I will be able to find coffee everywhere on the CF, but again, one of my main reasons for bringing my own would be cost. A few cups of coffee at bars in a day can really add up I'm sure My question is ...about how much is a typical price for a cafe con leche in Spain?

The price of a cafe Americano (black, more like a mug of coffee rather than a tiny thimble), was running at about €1.20 two years ago. Away from the camino it was usually about 1€.

I thought I would revive this post by asking permission to join the rather exclusive Coil Club! Back in the winter when everything felt bleak, I stumbled across this thread and then bought an immersion coil for my next Camino, whenever that would be. Well, the time is here, and I'm soon off to Spain! One item on my long list of to-dos before the journey was to practice with the coil, and I think I've got it... under no circumstances should I plug or unplug if the coil is not immersed in water!! I have about three weeks to walk and I might end up on the Invierno, so I thought the coil could come in handy. Thanks for all of this great advice, and I'm hoping this new addition to the pack will be worth the weight! (honestly, if I only use it once and it saves me from the dreaded no-caffeine haze, it will be worth it)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I thought I would revive this post by asking permission to join the rather exclusive Coil Club! Back in the winter when everything felt bleak, I stumbled across this thread and then bought an immersion coil for my next Camino, whenever that would be. Well, the time is here, and I'm soon off to Spain! One item on my long list of to-dos before the journey was to practice with the coil, and I think I've got it... under no circumstances should I plug or unplug if the coil is not immersed in water!! I have about three weeks to walk and I might end up on the Invierno, so I thought the coil could come in handy. Thanks for all of this great advice, and I'm hoping this new addition to the pack will be worth the weight! (honestly, if I only use it once and it saves me from the dreaded no-caffeine haze, it will be worth it)
We have a very secret ritual initiation process, but it has been suspended during covid. So I’m sure I speak for all the membership — welcome to our ranks! If you are on the Invierno, you can be sure you will have many opportunities to use it. Even on the Primitivo, because there are places where the pilgrim traffic is not heavy enough to get Spanish bar owners out of bed at pilgrim breakfast time.

Buen camino, @nadineK!

Hi Nadine and welcome to the club!

I use the immersion heater to make coffee, tea, instant oatmeal, chicken bouillon
and even soft boiled eggs. In Europe , the eggs in the store are not cold. I boil the water in my titanium cup and gently put the egg in for a 3 minutes. Then I take the egg out, and reheat the water and put the egg back in the cup. Leave it for a 3 more minutes and it is ready to eat!

Last edited:
Our coil was in use when we finished our walk to Trondheim this summer. This is our second coil - the first one got rusty after I put it away wet, this one will not suffer the same fate!

Many hotel rooms in Norway do not have facilities for heating water - hah! We had tea and porridge every time we wanted them!

Hi Nadine and welcome to the club!

I use the immersion heater to make coffee, tea, instant oatmeal, chicken bouillon
and even soft boiled eggs. In Europe , the eggs in the store are not cold. I boil the water in my titanium cup and gently put the egg in for a 3 minutes. Then I take the egg out, and reheat the water and put the egg back in the cup. Leave it for a 3 more minutes and it is ready to eat!
Soft boiled eggs! This might end up being a Camino of little luxuries... ;)

Our coil was in use when we finished our walk to Trondheim this summer. This is our second coil - the first one got rusty after I put it away wet, this one will not suffer the same fate!

Many hotel rooms in Norway do not have facilities for heating water - hah! We had tea and porridge every time we wanted them!
I'm learning that I need to treat my coil just right! This is a good tip, to make sure it's completely dried off before packing it away- thank you!

Soft boiled eggs!
😫
Hard for this peregrina, please.

But I'm sure a coil would happily do that, too.
I am thinking to petition for entry to the club, depending where I go next.

(But how to carry raw eggs to whatever far-flung pueblo where one would need a coil to do this?
😂🥚🥚🥚

I find Nadine that the best thing you can do is wait a least 20 seconds after you pull the plug out to remove the heater from the water. If you remove the heater immediately, it is still very hot and they burn out quicker. It will still be hot but won’t, then, damage the coil, and so don’t touch the metal when you do. I suggest you bring two on your first trip. There are many a pilgrim who burnt one out because of a lack of concentration! 😀😀😀. Including us!

I spent some time yesterday looking through my storage closet and eventually bringing out my electric coil, which had been hiding in obscurity since my last camino two years ago. Then, the sierra cup,a souvenir of my early backpacking days: a lightweight stainless steel cup/bowl, in which to prepare a beverage, a soup, a light meal (noodles, etc.). The plug, to connect the coil to Spanish electical outlets, is not to be found. I shall purchase another in the next few days. Then ready to go, with a supply of Starbucks instant coffee and a handful of tea bags: all in, about 350 g., 500 g., if I add a small bag of powdered milk (can I take this on the airplane?) I shall probably be purchasing pastry in Spain, to add a few calories for my early morning starts. No more breakfasting on a madalena or two and yesterday's lukewarm coffee from a thermos, or waiting a couple of hours for a communal breakfast of about the same materials, I can be on my way when I wish.

if I add a small bag of powdered milk (can I take this on the airplane?)
When I first started using the coil, I bought a small tube of condensed milk in Spain to add to the coffee. I don’t like sweetened coffee, but I like black coffee even less.

On my last camino I packed up a small bag of powdered milk in the US and had no trouble taking it through US security. Canada may be different, but I don’t think it’s likely to be a problem.

When I first started using the coil, I bought a small tube of condensed milk in Spain to add to the coffee. I don’t like sweetened coffee, but I like black coffee even less.

On my last camino I packed up a small bag of powdered milk in the US and had no trouble taking it through US security. Canada may be different, but I don’t think it’s likely to be a problem.
P.S. I have now located the plug, already in my backpack, and have plugged it in to my electric coil (now also packed), so that it will be ready for its primary task when I need it.

You can even use a thin plastic cup from your Knorr noodles to boli water with this electric coil tool. It may seem it will melt but it won't! I use it like that all the time including today at 6 am in O Cebreiro albergue :)

On the side note: electric coil heaters are illegal in the EU. Because they have no protection from overheating in case you forget to switch it off. Many fires have been started with those coil heaters. Please don't use them after a few glasses of wine or when you are sleepy in the evening. Or even better, have a coffee con Leche in Hospital de Condesa ;) greetings from CF!

20210723_073508.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the side note: electric coil heaters are illegal in the EU. Because they have no protection from overheating in case you forget to switch it off. Many fires have been started with those coil heaters. Please don't use them after a few glasses of wine or when you are sleepy in the evening. Or even better, have a coffee con Leche in Hospital de Condesa ;) greetings from CF!
I don't understand this. My electric coil does not function unless immersed in water, and is designed to die at once if taken out of water when plugged in. This is a hazard to the coil, but it cannot start a fire.

I don't understand this. My electric coil does not function unless immersed in water, and is designed to die at once if taken out of water when plugged in. This is a hazard to the coil, but it cannot start a fire.
I agreed with Albertagirl. My coil which worked as Albertagirl described was purchased from Darty a very réputable French company. After all these years I am still using it and they are still selling it. See this thread

Last edited:

€83,-
I also have my doubts that electric coil heaters are illegal in the EU. Not only can you buy imports on Amazon, you can also buy them from companies who not only sell them in the EU but even produce them in the EU, for example these attractive models for travel and office. All of them have overheating protection.

It would take clear indications on an europa.eu website to convince me that electric coil heaters are illegal in the EU.

On the side note: electric coil heaters are illegal in the EU. Because they have no protection from overheating in case you forget to switch it off.

I bought my current one in a hardware store in Portugal.

I had burnt out the last one by leaving it plugged in by mistake.

I thought I had pulled it out, before I got into bed to read my book before going to sleep, but I had unwittingly unplugged my cellphone instead.

I was all alone in a small thatched reed hut.

Fortunately I had to get up to switch off the light as there was no bedside lamp.

A red glow on the far side of the bed caught my eye.

The coil was just about to set fire to a little wooden table.

I still go cold when I think about it.

My current coil also has no automatic switch-off. It stays on until I unplug it.

My Camino packing list has been basically unchanged for the last decade. But this year, after reading the words of wisdom of iconic posters like sil, mspath, and anniesantiago, I decided to buy an immersible electric coil (plus plug adaptor) and a tin cup to bring on the Camino. I also brought a plastic baggie filled with instant coffee and in Spain bought a tube of condensed milk. I don't take sugar in my coffee usually, but I can't drink black coffee, so the condensed milk was the more palatable alternative. Altogether it probably weighed 500-800 g, so this was a considerable addition to the pack. But I had had too many coffee-free mornings on the Camino Vadiniense, Invierno, etc, and was looking for a solution.

I can't tell you how many times I thanked Sil, mspath and Annie for the tip. If you're in an albergue with a kitchen, you won't need it, but the caminos I've walked lately don't have a whole lot of those. Of the 44 days of my last camino, the Levante from Valencia, I'll bet I used it more than 35 mornings. I will never walk again without it, thank you thank you thank you!
Great idea, just watch out because when they get old they have a tendency to shirt out our possibly explode. I have personally seen that happen. I purchase a new one every year but there next one will be to take on my next Camino.!!

I, too, carry an electric coil which when needed is VERY useful!

For example last November at 7 am in El Acebo it was lonely and VERY COLD while waiting for the safety of dawn to continue walking. No other pilgrims had shared the Meson albergue. The day before after a good and copious mountain meal in the bar/restaurant downstairs I had taken a welcome hot shower. The water pressure seemed okay but plunked in the middle of the loo floor a large full water bucket with dipper was a surprise. Was this a new decoration in the Japanese bath-house style? I should have known.

By 7 am there was no running, only dipped, water available in the dorm. Thus a very welcome HOT early morning tea was boiled with the invaluable electric coil (the only 'luxury' in my kit); that single cup tasted especially splendid waiting in the cold for the sunrise!

Margaret Meredith

39A_single_cup_of_tea.jpg
Wonder where I can buy one small one like this one in your picture? Wish you a merry Christmas @mspath

Wonder where I can buy one small one like this one in your picture? Wish you a merry Christmas @mspath
ranthr,
My coil was purchased from Darty a very réputable French company. After all these years I am still using it and they are still selling it. See this thread.

Happy Christmas to you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
79 euros for a coil! Probably very high quality, which is why you have been using it for years, I guess!
Indeed. Actually it was a surprise gift in 2012 from my husband as I boarded the train in Paris. It certainly lasted longer than any bouquet. By the way this was my second coil since I misused the first.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Even better look at this!
That looks quite interesting, although I followed the link to their website and couldn’t actually find it listed or on a general web search. Shame, it sounds interesting, although it seems it would difficult to get a battery to produce that much heat? Just from my physics point of view?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

€83,-
I own two of these devices: one with an Australian plug and one with a European plug. I never travel without one! I know from bitter experience that you MUST remove it from the power point, before taking it out the boiling water - otherwise it is immediately kaput. This makes it very safe, as others have pointed out.

in addition to making coffee and soup, an immersion heater can heat up water in your collapsible bucket for foot soaks, sponge baths and laundry.

€83,-
Where do they ship from?

Coming back to this thread with the regrettable news that I just plugged in my electric coil before submerging it in water. What was I thinking?! Clearly I wasn’t. Here I am, on just the 4th day of my pilgrimage (currently on the Camino Vasco- what a treat! And then will keep walking on some combination of routes to Santiago)

Question for the experts: I plugged the coil in, realized what I’d done, and unplugged it quickly. Couldn’t have been plugged in for more than a few seconds. I’m assuming it’s ruined? I haven’t tried to see if it will work (I’m nervous that something will go horribly wrong!) but if anyone can assure me that it will be fine to put the coil in water and then plug it in, I’ll try it and see if there might be any life left in it. Unfortunately, from the advice given here, I fear the worst…

Please don’t kick me out of the Coil Club for this rookie mistake,
Nadine

You can't hurt yourself by trying. It will either still work or it's dead.

These devices have one-way fuses that get tripped when it overheats. Even a second out of boiling water is enough to do it, but if it was cold when you unplugged it, it might still be OK.

But since it's either dead or alive, there's no harm trying.

You can't hurt yourself by trying. It will either still work or it's dead.

These devices have one-way fuses that get tripped when it overheats. Even a second out of boiling water is enough to do it, but if it was cold when you unplugged it, it might still be OK.
@Katherine Radeka, I hereby anoint you the “chief technical service officer” of the electric coil club. Many thanks.

Thank you all for your quick replies, and the reassurance that it would be okay to try (I’m the person who somehow set a Jetboil on fire while camping, so I can never be too careful)

In any case, this must be a bit of Camino magic because I just tried the coil again and it worked!! Let’s hope this good luck continues and I promise I’ll be more attentive in the future 😄

Thank you all for your quick replies, and the reassurance that it would be okay to try (I’m the person who somehow set a Jetboil on fire while camping, so I can never be too careful)

In any case, this must be a bit of Camino magic because I just tried the coil again and it worked!! Let’s hope this good luck continues and I promise I’ll be more attentive in the future 😄
I am waiting hopefully for you to post again on your Vasco thread, as I shall be walking that route in the fall. You have just assisted my walk by reminding me to bring my coil and a mug. Thanks for your information about the Vasco, and for the reminder.

Never knew there was a Coil Club here! I have been using the same coil for at least 15 years now, but left it out of my pack the last couple of years. I considered it too luxurous for a pilgrim and not worth the weight. But I might put it back into my pack again on the Sanabrés next month, now I know it is allowed to carry one. 😅

Never knew there was a Coil Club here! I have been using the same coil for at least 15 years now, but left it out of my pack the last couple of years. I considered it too luxurous for a pilgrim and not worth the weight. But I might put it back into my pack again on the Sanabrés next month, now I know it is allowed to carry one. 😅
Welcome to the club- this is one of my favorite spaces on the forum!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We became members whilst walking the VDLP in 2008
Meeting Klaus, a German pilgrim, we were fascinated by this little gadget he used to make coffee

On the way, it happened to be our wedding anniversary and my birthday and that evening Klaus presented us with the coil as a present
He had even made a container for it
this coil travelled with us on our hikes all over the place

Unfortunately I stupidly burned it out some place in France
Well I was so upset over this so I sent off to the USA for one
This one was much lighter to carry and lasted quite a while
Now though in watching rucksack weight we’ve given it a miss

Mind you, I still carry the tea bags ….and the plastic cup that I burned back then and get boiling water on the way
i think I might still have the American one ….I think….if anyone would like it

Just a reminder to newcomers to the club...

To avoid overheating and thus burning out the device, you must be careful to never have it plugged in, except while the heating element is submerged in water. So, you must place the coil in the water before you plug into the wall, and you must unplug from the wall before you remove the coil from the water.

By the way, although I am a paid up member of the club, I am not as emotionally invested in the society as some people seem to be! 😁🤣

Just a reminder to newcomers to the club...

To avoid overheating and thus burning out the device, you must be careful to never have it plugged in, except while the heating element is submerged in water. So, you must place the coil in the water before you plug into the wall, and you must unplug from the wall before you remove the coil from the water.

By the way, although I am a paid up member of the club, I am not as emotionally invested in the society as some people seem to be! 😁🤣
I would further suggest, to new members, to leave the coil in the water-for an additional 30 seconds after you pull out the plug from the socket.. The coil will still be hot, so don’t touch it, but it won’t melt down and will last you a lot longer. And don’t worry, your water will still be very hot!

This gear geek loves the thread. I’m also a member of the Second Coil Club…as others have said, only take the coil out of water when it’s unplugged. It’s been wonderful after freezing/rainy days, early mornings on quieter routes with few cafes, instant oatmeal or Lipton soup on those days when you just don’t feel like going out. Wonderful invention. But I wish they made one that I can’t burn out by taking it out of the water without thinking. PS: Here’s my mug: https://www.rei.com/product/189675/gsi-outdoors-infinity-backpacker-mug

I once heated around 3 liters of water at once with my coil - in an albergue without hot water and cooking facilities, but with an enormous soup tureen in the closet in the room where the kitchen had once been. Enough for two cups of soup and a quick wash!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.