• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The endless search for just the right boots.

skilsaw

Veteran Member
I have walked the Camino Frances and the Via de la Plata twice... about 2800 kms.

If you don't like reading long posts, here is the conclusion first: Purchasing boots and breaking them in is a crap shoot (american slang for "a gamble"). Ya pays yer money, and ya takes yer chances. But suffering is optional. If your feet are blistering or otherwise hurt, experiment.
Try different socks. Use vaseline or other grease on your feet... Or stop using vaseline. Same goes for foot powder. Buy new shoes altogether. Keep experimenting until you find the right combination shoes, socks, and lubricants. Love and care for your feet. You owe it to them, after what you are putting them through.

Before each camino I bought new boots and broke them in.
I completed the first camino without blisters, but with feet that ached when I put weight on them. The first steps of the morning were the most difficult. It took several months after the camino for the ache to go away. Decided the boots were too tight so passed them on ...

Second Camino I got blisters the first week but on the advice of fellow pilgrims, bought new socks and had no further problems. These boots were not up to the task and the sole wore out before reaching Santiago. I was able to finish in them though, and then tossed them in the garbage.

Third Camino, I bought boots 3 months ahead and did a lot of walking on relatively rough forest paths, but never carried a pack. I had no blisters during the training. The camino was another matter. The balls of each foot developed big blisters, but they never tore open which was a blessing. Once again, on the advice of fellow pilgrims, I bought a 35 Euro pair of Nike running shoes that were a size too big (on purpose, mind you) and mailed the boots home. The blisters dried up without a problem and the skin later peeled after new skin had formed underneath. Upon arriving home, the boots sat, unused in my closet for a year and then I gave them to Goodwill. They had bad karma.

This week I'm going to purchase new boots again because I'm planning a couple big walks in 2013. Like the times before, I'll try them on in the store and wear them around the house for a couple of days... The store will let me return them if I've kept the box and not otherwise marred the boots new appearance. But I won't marry the boots. I'll discard them in a flash if they give me any problems.

Buen Camino,
And Happy Feet!
David, Victoria, Canada.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
David, I had a pair of Vasque boots I have been breaking in all summer for my upcoming camino in Portugal...then about a month and a half ago, I started getting spot on my right ankle where the boots started to rub just on my ankle bone...no where else. I decided these would not be going with me if they were already causing problems...just bought a pair of Keen Alamosa hiking shoes and hoping they don't give me any problems. Haven't had time to test them out too much but they are a size too big with plenty of room for my feet to swell, as they did on my first camino. If I ever find the perfect boots it will be a miracle!!!!

Great post!!!!

David,

It seemed to me on my last Camino that it was the weight of my pack that dictated whether or not blisters would form. I was fine with what I had and basic food/water but if I stocked up on fruit or added anything else that was heavy, blisters would start near the balls of my feet. There was a fine line of 1 pound too many... I just learned to keep the pack as light as possible and the feet moisturized.

allison

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In addition to the other variables already mentioned, let me add (commercial) insoles and (custom) orthotics to the discussion. The insoles that come with most boots, even expensive ones, aren't worth much. In my experience, the addition of quality insoles or orthotics makes a huge difference. Look for firm stuff, not squishy soft foam.

I buy a new pair of Asolo TPS 535 for each camino. I generally get about 2000 km out of them before the soles become too worn. The boots are one size (UK) larger than my normal shoes. I wear them for about 100 km before the camino, but doubt that this is necessary because of the gortex lining. No problems.

This year they wore out in Burgos (I started in Rome) so I had to replace them. The shop only had one pair of boots big enough: Chiruca, made in Spain, one size (EU) smaller than my Asolos and costing 60 euros. I was afraid, very afraid. My fears were groundless, the boots were fine, no problems!

Renegade,
Good luck with your Keen shoes. I've never tried them, but hear good reports.
I think a lot of footwear is suitable for the Camino. It is just a matter of finding "the right footwear" for you. Good call on not taking boots that cause even a minor problem before you start. I've seen backpackers use duct tape on rub spots before blisters develop. It seems to take the abrasion and stay stuck in place if your feet are perfectly dry when you stick it on.

I see Compeed mentioned in the forum frequently, but my experience with it has not been good. It rained hard the day I put the compeed on and my boots got soaked through. The compeed turned to gooey mush that continued to stick where I put it.

Alli,
I agree that pack weight makes a difference. I've started training for a backpacking adventure where we carry everything. Tent, stove, pots and pans, and all our food as well as the usual Camino pack contents. I've started hauling 20 kg. (45 lbs) and will slowly add weight until I'm carrying 27 kg. (60 lbs) My knees and feet have to learn to like it, because that is what I'll be starting out with on our adventure next year.

Kit,
We are on the same wavelength when it comes to insoles. I picked a pair of firm insoles with a top layer of resilient "Memory Foam." I have been lucky before with some made of "gel" But the insoles picked for the last 2 Caminos have been rubbish.

AJ,
I've been lucky with Asolo boots before so today chose their "Power matic 200" Who thinks up these names? It is very similar to the 535 that you have found so successful.

Thanks all, for you replies.
Boots and footcare are discussed endlessly on the camino.
We really depend on our feet to get us through.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Returned to the store today to take back yesterday's boot choice. After wearing them for 4 hours in the house last evening, my feet felt squeezed. I need something wider.

As luck would have it, the store had the same boots, same size but "wide".
After wearing them this evening in the house, I'm ready to take them outside. The store doesn't like taking back scuffed up boots so wearing them on an actual hike in the woods is a risk. But I feel confident that I've got the right ones.

Good Luck on your hunt for the right Camino kit. Footwear, packs, quick dry clothing, etc.
The good news is that Spain is a developed country, and the camino takes you through a major city every week, or ten days. There you can replace any kit that is not working for you.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.