• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The excuses not to go have started!

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
Less than a week out from leaving now, and the excuses not to go have started:
I'm not fit enough.
I've peaked with my fitness.
My leg hurts from my last 32km training hike.
I can't get my pack weight down to below 9 kgs.
I've eaten too much over Easter.
It's snowing over there – I didn't sign up for snow.
I really shouldn't be taking so much time off work.
I've read so many blogs, watched so many YouTube videos, I feel like I've already done it.
I like Australia.
I'll miss five rounds of the footy season.
But the kicker is: Why am I doing this?
Which is the reason I have to go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Billbennettoz !!
After 93 posts, and your whole process, PLEASE just go! Can't wait to hear how you get on :)
If you didn't have cold feet, you wouldn't be human.
Buen camino :)

fortview said:
Billbennettoz !!
After 93 posts, and your whole process, PLEASE just go! Can't wait to hear how you get on :)
If you didn't have cold feet, you wouldn't be human.
Buen camino :)
Haha - thanks Fortview. Yes, getting last minute jitters. But I guess this is usual!
After this many posts, can't NOT go!
:? Bill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Pieces said:
well, there's always the choice of not going...
The original post was meant to be humorous... :)

Your going because if you dont you will never be able to post here again without us kicking you. :D

I'm a little behind you and this will be journey No 11. This is the 15th year since I first walked.

I've just entered the "why the hell am I doing this phase." It will last till I get on the plane. After that there will be no turning back.

The only part of my that is 100% healthy are my lungs so stop whining. :roll:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
not sure I am the one without humor....

If Bill had used a couple of these :D we would have known that he was not serious.

Your comment is entirely justified. Bill has been a naughty boy. :roll:

billbennettoz said:
I've read so many blogs, watched so many YouTube videos, I feel like I've already done it.

That's exactly the reason why, since deciding I was doing the camino, I haven't watched videos/photos or read blogs, except for the stories posted in this forum. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
don't expect it to make sense.....yet

buen camino

Pieces said:
well, there's always the choice of not going...
I know that this OP was joking but last minute doubts are a very common, very normal concern.

I agree with Pieces.

The thing is, that at a certain point the choice that's worse than going, is not going.

Two days before I leave for France, and suddenly I have become, in my mind, physically unfit, my boots don't fit properly, I made a mistake with my back pack choice, the weather in Spain is the worst it has been in decades!!!......So I say to myself...Suck it up Princess, build a bridge and get over it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I should have put smilies all over my post, for those that don't get the Australian sense of humour!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That said, I do have last minute jitters, but I guess that's not unusual for a first timer.

This is going to be an extraordinary experience, and I can't wait to start!

billbennettoz said:
I'll miss five rounds of the footy season.

Your probably a Collingwood supporter, you can afford to miss the whole season!
But wait, you can't be a Collingwood supporter because you mentioned you had a job.

You were concerned that some forum members didn't get your Aussie humour, trust me some Aussie members don't get Aussie humour as I recently found out:). :)

Good luck with the icy blizzards, driving rain, snow, and mud :). I will be following you at the start of June, I hope that it is dryer and warmer by then.

ffp13 said:
Your probably a Collingwood supporter, you can afford to miss the whole season!
But wait, you can't be a Collingwood supporter because you mentioned you had a job.
That's funny. :) Actually I'm a Swannies supporter (Sydney Swans - Aussie Rules footy to those of you not acquainted with this weird code of football, unique to Australia.)

April last year was sunny, by all accounts - this year with snow and storms, it will be a bracing introduction to Camino life. I have my layers, going to buy some gaiters on Navarricano's suggestion, so I should be ok.

Good luck with your trip in June - the mud should have dried by then! Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A Swans man! I could tell from that small fragment of face visible in your photo that you were an intelligent type.

I'm a cold weather pilgrim. I take layers, advice and plenty of time. If one does that, and keeps dry, where's the prob?

It's going to be great, Swannie.

Carry something red-and-white. (I'm assuming you're also a St. George man.)

Rob

robertt said:
A Swans man! I could tell from that small fragment of face visible in your photo that you were an intelligent type.

I'm a cold weather pilgrim. I take layers, advice and plenty of time. If one does that, and keeps dry, where's the prob?

It's going to be great, Swannie.

Carry something red-and-white. (I'm assuming you're also a St. George man.)

Rob
That too is funny!! :D :D
I'm thinking of wearing my green and gold Australian cricket cap, but given our recent performance in India, maybe that's not such a good idea! :oops:
The red and white Swannies cap could be handy - it'll help rescuers find me in a snow storm. :lol:
(that's Australian humour again...)

norelle said:
don't expect it to make sense.....yet
buen camino

Bill, You are not even close to be aware of what will be hitting you on the way. But it will all be good, I can promise you. 8)

Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
billbennettoz said:
ffp13 said:
Good luck with your trip in June - the mud should have dried by then! Bill

I walked in June last year, the mud had dried, but I could still see the deep footprints from earlier pilgrims, they were like dinosaur prints set in stone, I remember thinking that I'm glad I'm not walking in that, I have experienced the Camino mud for one wet day, that was enough, every step the hiking boots became heavier and looked like the platform boots worn by Kizz.

Frank

alexwalker said:
Bill, You are not even close to be aware of what will be hitting you on the way. But it will all be good, I can promise you. 8)
I'm sure that's the case Alex. That's why I'm both nervous and excited. There are many people on this forum who have done this several times. They are remarkable.

But in my view, anyone who does the Camino, whether it be by foot, by cycle, if they carry their backpack or taxi it to the next town, if they start in Le Puy or SJPP or their front door or Sarria, they all are remarkable for having done so.

Being nervous at the enormity of it all is all part of the experience. I still remember when I began walking up the long hill out of Le Puy. This was it!!! The best cure for Ozzy nerves will be when you lace on your boots, pull on your pack, and take those first few steps on the Camino itself. You will never forget that initial excitement/nervousness, (and it will never be quite the same if you go a second time!)

If you have the same kind of cheaper non-refundable ticket to Europe we get over the other side of the Tasman, you can't afford not to go. No insurance company will accept your "I don't want to go now!' excuse!
Buen Camino!
Margaret
PS I am sure we tried to tell you there might be snow.You just didn't listen! But it will all be part of the novelty for an Aussie if you get some!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At least snow is sort of dry,

Bill. Frank. I am shocked. :shock:

I thought Aussie men were meant to be real men. :D

Anyone who watches Aussie Rules Football - like my friend Norman - knows that you have to be tough, strong, resolute and fit.

For goodness sake its only a bit of snow and mud. Where's your backbone gentlemen. :wink:

You'll be telling me next you don't drink beer. :shock: :D

The only reason not to take your Aussie Cricket cap is that it will absolutely useless in the rain. The slightest bit of rain and your cricketers flee to the pavillion like a bunch of Sheila's so they don't get their caps wet. :lol:

I don't drink beer ( in winter ) I do enjoy a drop of locally produced ( cleanskin ) vino tinto, buying locally produced wine in Spain is a gamble however I have been lucky more often than not, and sometimes you find some real gems, if its bad its not a big loss.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Bill. Frank. I am shocked. :shock:
I thought Aussie men were meant to be real men. :D
Anyone who watches Aussie Rules Football - like my friend Norman - knows that you have to be tough, strong, resolute and fit. For goodness sake its only a bit of snow and mud. Where's your backbone gentlemen. :wink: You'll be telling me next you don't drink beer. :shock: :D The only reason not to take your Aussie Cricket cap is that it will absolutely useless in the rain. The slightest bit of rain and your cricketers flee to the pavillion like a bunch of Sheila's so they don't get their caps wet. :lol:
Some of us like to break the macho Aussie bloke stereotype. We drink wine from a glass, we drive with seatbelts on and we indicate when turning, and we only wrestle crocodiles when they're a direct threat to human life. 8)

That's exactly the reason why, since deciding I was doing the camino, I haven't watched videos/photos or read blogs, except for the stories posted in this forum. :)

I did the same. People would ask "oh did you see X movie, read Y book, visit Z blog?" Nope. I don't like spoilers in movies and I don't like them in real life either. I avoided several stories here on this forum as well.

Bunch of Sheilas ??? is that some kind of flower arrangement ? :? Also Oz Blokes dont... FLEE !!... we stride with purpose !!!........Vicr

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back