• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The famous German yellow book about the Camino Frances is now available in English

Anke w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (1995)
Camino Frances St. Jean - Muxia (2012 -2013)
Camino del Norte (Irun - Santander and Santander - Gijon) 2014 -2015
Hello everybody,
all information needed before and during the WAY can be found in one book....
Finally the very detailed book about the CAMINO FRANCES got translated into the English language.
If you want to find out what the book is about follow the link below:

http://www.camino-de-santiago.de/e-book.htm

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello everybody,
all information needed before and during the WAY can be found in one book....
Finally the very detailed book about the CAMINO FRANCES got translated into the English language.
If you want to find out what the book is about follow the link below:

http://www.camino-de-santiago.de/e-book.htm
The book looks like a great resource - when I used your link, I can find it only in an ebook or kindle format. Any idea if it's available in paper book form?

Hello Leah,
I am sorry but there is no paper version in English planned yet. If you are interested in a print version we would recommend you to contact the publisher directly: info@conrad-stein-verlag.de and encourage them to make a print version...but until then we can only offer apps and kindle versions over the links on the page....

Anke

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now I want the German book for the Northern routes available in English!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I guess, have a look at the book yourself to form your opinion if you like it.....or if you want to compare it to Brierley's book.:confused:
The link is meantioned above to view the book and then you can decide which one you like better.
I like a lot about Raimund's books that they are always updated regularly and I walked the Caminos listening to my body and when it told me it was enough for the day, there was always a place described by Raimund to stay nearby without planning ahead or reserving. That made things relaxing and very nice to experience to rely on that someone will take care of you and make sure you will find a place to stay one way or another... That is how our feed never got screwed up walking. No blisters and no pain....:)but the glory of arriving in one piece :D I also followed his tip to use a special food crème before putting on my socks to reach that aim...
Packing my bag especially when I did my first Camino:rolleyes: was easy with his listing in the book and his explanations made prepping so much easier for me back in the day. ;)

You can contact Raimund about your wish getting the books on the Northern Camino in English via email. His contact data is in his book. I used his books on that routing too and it was a really good experience for me....

Last edited:
I have bought and downloaded the book and will take it with me on my phone in October. I don't have much experience with Kindle books, so I'm having to figure out how to look things up, jump around with bookmarks, etc. Hopefully by October, I'll be more comfortable using it, since it does seem to have lots of good detail. One nice thing it has (unlike some other guide books) is an index at the back listing the towns in alphabetical order.

This is very good news. I have often been jealous of those German pilgrims with their red or yellow guides (can't remember which is which, but I remember hearing that one had better maps and one had better information).

It would be great to get some actual feedback from pilgrims who use this guide and hopefully it will encourage the authors to start translating more of them. I know they exist for a number of Caminos. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The best guide is the list of albergues you get at the pilgrim office in St Jean and then the yellow arrows. Carried Brierley's guide but quite frankly, I seldom used it

Thanks Anke. I love the look of this book, and the maps and altitude charts look great. Glad to hear that English speaking pilgrims now have this option open to them.
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just had a look at the book. Very good as long as you are staying in an Albergue, but nothing for the pilgrim who wishes to stay in a private room. Looks like I will have to rely on my old Brierley's guide.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used this famous yellow guide on my very first Camino 1999 and even if it is not perfect, but what and who is?, it is still my go-to guide for the Camino Francés. Used it also last year when arriving in Spain. So yes, I just outed myself as a happy customer of 15+ years ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I just had a look at the book. Very good as long as you are staying in an Albergue, but nothing for the pilgrim who wishes to stay in a private room. Looks like I will have to rely on my old Brierley's guide.

The yellow guide does indicate the towns where there are hotels, pensions, hostals, etc. with a symbol of a bed, but you're right that it doesn't provide name, phone, etc. It also describes the private room options available in private albergues, so there will be many instances in which the yellow guide will give adequate info for people wanting private rooms, but not all.

My impression was that the print version of the yellow book is forthcoming, but I'll PM the authors and see if they have any update.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I downloaded a pdf of hotels and pensions here http://caminoteca.com/en/camino-frances/pensions-and-hotels, and that site also has an up to date list of albergues.
I've thought that I'd like a physical book on my first camino, both for ease of reading and in case my phone battery dies. I tried Brierley and returned it, as his philosophical musings were weightier than I wanted to carry, and the maps seemed confusing. I bought "A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino" instead. Clear and with clean graphics, but it's fairly heavy--so maybe the new Yellow Book is the way to go, if I don't mind squinting at my phone screen.....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I downloaded a pdf of hotels and pensions here http://caminoteca.com/en/camino-frances/pensions-and-hotels, and that site also has an up to date list of albergues.
I've thought that I'd like a physical book on my first camino, both for ease of reading and in case my phone battery dies. I tried Brierley and returned it, as his philosophical musings were weightier than I wanted to carry, and the maps seemed confusing. I bought "A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino" instead. Clear and with clean graphics, but it's fairly heavy--so maybe the new Yellow Book is the way to go, if I don't mind squinting at my phone screen.....

Brierley also does a Maps-Only version of his Frances guide: http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...oducts/maps-only-guide-to-the-camino-frances9

If only they had a version of the camino del norte. I know have the cicerone version for northern caminos, but find it wayyyyto heavy and not very userfriendly. Really dont want to use it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would thoroughly recommend the Brierley Maps only Guide for the Camino Frances. I used it this year in conjunction with the Albergue list from SJPP, and it worked very well. Less weight and less cost.

The only problem I had was when I was in Negreira on my way back to Santiago. I did my washing, and when washing my trousers found I had left the Brierley in the side pocket. o_O

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Used this book Sept 2015, very good( kindle version).

Just bought and downloaded the Kobo version. Very impressed with what I've seen so far. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back