• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The fastest way to get to SJPP from biarritz airport

Jules67

Starting my Camino April 2017
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP in April 2017
Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help me out here.. This is my first camino and i'm so excited but sooo nervous too.. (is this normal)

This will be my first time away on my own and i'm nearing 50!

I am flying to Paris on the 10 April 17 and then from Paris to Biarritz.. I land in Biarritz at 9pm and so i'm not sure of the quickest way to get to my hostel for that night, which i have booked. I've also just emailed them to ask if my arrival time is OK as i'm assuming ill be an hour away and so wont get to st jean until approx 10pm.

Hopefully i meet other pilgrims on the flight were we can share a cab..

Thanks anyone who can help..

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I land in Biarritz at 9pm
It is about an hour by taxi from the airport to SJPdP, but allowing for delays and baggage pickup, you probably will get to SJPdP at around 2230. Many gites will be closed by then, so be sure to let your hostel know of your late arrival. Hotels will let you in at almost any time!!

It is about an hour by taxi from the airport to SJPdP, but allowing for delays and baggage pickup, you probably will get to SJPdP at around 2230. Many gites will be closed by then, so be sure to let your hostel know of your late arrival. Hotels will let you in at almost any time!!
Thank you falcon for your message. I've had a think and I've now reconsidered my plans. I am now booking a cheap hotel near the airport then will take the early train into SJPP the next morning where i will stay in SJPP for the night before i begin. My hostel there have just changed the date for me. Phew....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes thats much better than trying to rush from Biarritz. Its actually nice to relax in SJPDP because its actually one of the most picturesque gorgeous towns on the camino.. if you take the early train.. (i think from memory there are just 2 trains per day) then you will have all day to explore SJPDP and mentally prepare for the early start the next morning.
Worth noting that most of the hostels dont open their doors until mid afternoon.. so you might end up waiting with your pack for the doors to open.. some places will let you store your pack until later when the beds are made and you can be allocated a bed. SJPDP is a laid back kind of place and they dont often keep to any schedule.. shops and hostels open when they feel like opening :) and close at strange times also. We ended up spending an extra day there (2 nights) as its such a lovely town with an old castle ruins to explore and so on.
Also worth noting is that the first day leaving SJPDP is one of the hardest days early on in the camino, so start nice and early :)
We got one of the last beds at the monastery at Roncesvalles, because we were quite slow. We never booked ahead and just went on faith and it always worked out.. sometimes just some floor space to sleep on..
There is something magical about just walking without having every day and every accomodation booked in advance..
Trust and faith will always find you something :)
Buen camino!

Yes thats much better than trying to rush from Biarritz. Its actually nice to relax in SJPDP because its actually one of the most picturesque gorgeous towns on the camino.. if you take the early train.. (i think from memory there are just 2 trains per day) then you will have all day to explore SJPDP and mentally prepare for the early start the next morning.
Worth noting that most of the hostels dont open their doors until mid afternoon.. so you might end up waiting with your pack for the doors to open.. some places will let you store your pack until later when the beds are made and you can be allocated a bed. SJPDP is a laid back kind of place and they dont often keep to any schedule.. shops and hostels open when they feel like opening :) and close at strange times also. We ended up spending an extra day there (2 nights) as its such a lovely town with an old castle ruins to explore and so on.
Also worth noting is that the first day leaving SJPDP is one of the hardest days early on in the camino, so start nice and early :)
We got one of the last beds at the monastery at Roncesvalles, because we were quite slow. We never booked ahead and just went on faith and it always worked out.. sometimes just some floor space to sleep on..
There is something magical about just walking without having every day and every accomodation booked in advance..
Buen camino!

There are 4 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP ... daily ... all year.

oh yes there was a strike on when we were there.. limited trains in the whole area including Lourdes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buen camino!
Thank you for your message. I slept better last night knowing I'm going into this stress free now with no panicking and rushing to get to the hostel in SJPDP. A lot of pilgrims have said the same, to relax and enjoy SJPDP.
My nervousness is diminishing now and my enthusiasm is increasing again. I think for the first part, Ie booking flights and first hostel and working out the logistics for the first time has been a mind blowing experience for me as I'm so organised and meticulous in every thing I do. This Camino will sort that side of me out as its already making me think of 'just go into it as see what happens' kind of approach. Like you say.. Trust and have faith. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I think I have my plan now.
I land in Biarritz on the 10 April so on the 11th I'll be heading to SJPDP by train but if anyone is starting off from the airport on the morning of 11th and want to share a cab/taxi then I'm ok to share. Otherwise, does anyone know where the link is for the train times?
Julie

Thanks everyone for your help.
I think I have my plan now.
I land in Biarritz on the 10 April so on the 11th I'll be heading to SJPDP by train but if anyone is starting off from the airport on the morning of 11th and want to share a cab/taxi then I'm ok to share. Otherwise, does anyone know where the link is for the train times?
Julie

Here is the link for the TER line 62 train schedule from Bayonne to SJPdP.

https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

The link for TER line 62 shows service on 11/04 from Bayonne to SJPdP
at 07:45, 11:10, 14:55, 18:06

Bon voyage and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen camino!
I'm glad you said All that
I'm going end April
&'I haven't booked Accommodation after I leave Paris ( flying from Australia) I feel I want to look around & get into the Time Zone before heading off
Are the Trains easy enough for an English only speaking SOLO,Woman

I'm going end April
&'I haven't booked Accommodation after I leave Paris ( flying from Australia) I feel I want to look around & get into the Time Zone before heading off
I will let you know once i'm there Annie. I'm new to this too.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm going end April

There are generally four trains a day from Bayonne to SJPdP. The Bayonne station is small and the staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. Multiple video screens throughout the station display arrivals/departures as does a large board in lobby. You can buy your TER line 62 ticket to SJPdP either from a machine using a credit card or from a live clerk with cash or card. No need to book ahead since the seats are not reserved. Journey time is roughly 1 hour.

The adjacent station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; if you have time to spare relax and have a drink.

Last edited:
There are generally four trains a day from Bayonne to SJPdP. The Bayonne station is small and the staff are helpful and used to tourists as well as pilgrims. Multiple video screens throughout the station display arrivals/departures as does a large board in lobby. You can buy your TER line 62 ticket to SJPdP either from a machine using a credit card or from a live clerk with cash or card. No need to book ahead since the seats are not reserved. Journey time is roughly 1 hour.

The adjacent station cafe boasts many handy plugs for recharging your computer or smartphone; if you have time to spare relax and have a drink.

Fab. Thank you mspath.. you answered my next questions there.. ie is there a cafe for breakfast/coffee and also is it just an hour to get to SJPDP. I've mad a note of the station address for the cab driver to take me there from the airport. Is it only about 10 euros do you know? I was also going to ask if the ticket need to be pre booked but you answered that too.. you have obviously done this before. Thanks again for your help.

Frankly, I'd suggest the slowest way -- cancel the reservation, and then walk from Biarritz to SJPP. Walk even from the airport to your accommodation in town.

The walk up to SJPP is glorious in itself, and it would be a far better preparation for the Pyrenees crossing stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles than anything else you'll have done 'til then.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back