• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The finish line

sitges54

Time of past OR future Camino
As I peruse the forums I find so many who cherish their camino experience but find Santiago as somewhat of a letdown or anticlimactic. I am wondering if it is because these same people are doing the way for reasons other than religious.
That is not the point I am trying to make but rather a segue into my personal reasons for this incredible urge (calling?)
Being non religious (but spiritual) my plan would be having Finestere and Muxia as a finishing point, and feel if I didn't get that far my journey would not be complete. I know the obvious answer for everyone not going all that way is the time restraint, which I understand. Is there other reasons you don't continue on, considering how everyones journeys are so special and memorable. The "end of the world" just seems "so right".
I have not done the Camino yet so I cannot question those who have and I am not trying to outdo anyone, or make any enemies or sound inconsiderate. I am just curious.
I understand the religious pilgrimage finishing in Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All I can say is that you just have to walk it and then see for yourself. For me it didn´t matter where I was or where it ended....all that mattered to me was every single day with myself and the people I met.
I had several moments on the Camino that were rather emotional and ´Spiritual´ and Santiago de Compostela was one of them.....but not the only one.

Buen Camino.
Michael

Hi sitges54,
Speaking only from my own personal experience, Santiago de Compostela (and its Catedral) is, and always will be, a very special place for me. I hope to continue "finishing" Caminos there every year that I am able. This year I continued on to Finisterre and that provided a whole other, quite overwhelming "finish". It had been 6 weeks since I saw the ocean (at Biarritz) and walking onto the beach at Finisterre was a very emotional moment. I think part of it was the realisation that I had actually walked across the entire Country of Spain (at least the North). Another highlight was that my son had come out from London to walk the last, long stretch from Negreira with me. I hope to recapture some small part of that feeling next year in Muxia after walking from Porto to SdC. Two "finishes" are better than one! :);)

Attachments

• IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Camino is pretty complex and paradoxical... :)

Santiago is a very special place to whom has walked the pilgrimage and at the same time, it is a big city (with everything it implies) that is highly touristy (especially in summer-time, fiestas days and holly years like ie. 2016).
I think whatever the means and purposes of the journey, coming from nature and a simple way of life to enter a city and a "normal" way of life is anticlimactic. There are so much fuss, noise, movement, waiting lines, goods to buy, souvenirs shops, hawkers (and so on) everywhere that it's only natural to feel uncomfortable. Add to it the impact of a Camino on a pilgrim's mind, heart and soul and Santiago will only become both wonderful and odd at the same time :)

From a religious point of view, Santiago is a main sanctuary and the traditional ending point of the contemporary Camino. Both Fisterra and Muxia are Galician sanctuaries too. It's likely they were also visited by ancient pilgrims because of these. Originally and still a Catholic route, the whole Camino is going from one sanctuary to the other... If it's possible to do it without a religious intent, it's impossible to ignore its religious inheritance. At the end, whatever people's motives (the most religious as well as the least religious ones), a very small percentage goes to Fisterra (even less to Muxia) by foot.

That's a lot of interesting waffle to finally get to the main point: the end of the Camino is where you feel it should be! I've done 3 Caminos, 1 ending in Muxia/Fisterra and 2 ending in Santiago. I have no religion either and believe to be a spiritual person anyways, but each 3 times, I ended where I felt I had to end. It was very clear to me and had no regret going or not going to M/F, but I believe if I didn't follow my inner voice, I'd have a feeling of undone business. Not having time is a common good/bad reason not to go there, but I believe some one who truly feels like ending there will find time somehow...

So, up to you where you'll stop! If you feel your end is in the end of the World, I'd suggest you go there! :) If you chose to end in Santiago despite this feeling... it's ok too, just another experience for you on the Camino! ;)

full

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I live in the other side of the Big Pond. So, to me Fisterre is not "the end"...it is at most a middle point of the Earth. Nothing particularly special. A pleasant walk, probably; as there are many in Europe.
Maybe when I walk it (if I do) , my ideas will be different.

I will be arriving in Santiago very soon - probably tomorrow, possibly tonight. I've never felt any particular pull towards Finisterre or Muxia. I will stop in Santiago and return home from there. I have sometimes experienced joy on arrival. I have also experienced that sense of anticlimax. In both cases I am sure that the source of emotion was inside me and not in the granite walls and pavements of that beautiful town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think people may feel let down at the end (where ever it is), or not, but I think there are many things that contribute to such feelings, totally unrelated to one's religion or spirituality. For one thing, people shed most if not all of their other responsibilities for the length of their walk--perhaps 30 days or more where all you need to do is eat, sleep, and walk outside (hopefully at least some of the time in the sunshine). Sunlight elevates mood, exercise elevates mood, release from the hundreds of nagging big and little responsibilities of life elevates mood. Some people come because there are things missing in their life back home, and for a time forget that because they are meeting people and seeing new things. It can be very much like a return to childhood, when you don't worry about what to wear or eat, you play with your friends all day, and you don't get bills in the mail. And then--it's over, and you are facing a return ticket. I think feeling let down may be a signal to look for what you feel you are missing, and trying to find a way to create it back home.

Could not agree more with Small Sparrows last posts. When on the Camino you live in a bubble of simplicity, only having to manage bery basic needs: feet, foot, sleep. Food and sleep are super inexpensive, and almost preplanned. Feet are left, and with good preparation, daily care and luck they should be fine, though tired. And living like this helps you discover who you are when not in the rat race, and this can be cathartic for many. Then there are these instant relationships that form and that become quite intimate very quickly, which seldom happens at home.

The realisation you have to go back to the rat race is not fun. Also, when you arrive in Santiago, and you don't know where you walking buddies have booked in for the night, you start wondering if you will see them again. And the search starts: walking through the cathedral hoping they will be there, walking up and down the touristy streets hoping they are sitting one a terrace. Wondering/hoping they have not walked on, as all of a sudden, after x number of days you will be trully without a friendly face, which is especially a downer since you may have had visions of ceying and celebrating together, debrifeing together.

I no longer expect anything from Santiago, Muxia, Fisterra then an opportunity to rediscover their beauty, and a plate of percebes of course.

I have the same anticlimatic feeling after spending 2 weeks out at sea scuba diving where the routine is eat, dive, eat, dive, eat, nap, dive, eat, dive, having a drink, eat, sleep. Nothing but the beauty of what nature has to offer to think about. But then I need the rat race to pay for that enjoyment, as we need it to pay for our Caminos.

Your Camino is just that, YOUR CAMINO! Your personal emotions and feelings on arrival in front of the Cathedral, after so long and arduous a pilgrimage should be YOURS and not those of a demographic, or other group association.

I recommend that as you approach Santiago, coming down Monte de Gozo for example, reflect on your original reasons for undertaking this journey. You have perhaps 90 minutes remaining until you are in front of the Cathedral in the Plaza de Obradoiro.

Reflect on the preparations you made, your expectations before you started, and how the Camino and the many people you have encountered along YOUR WAY have affected you. Consider the person you believed yourself to be BEFORE you started, and the person you believe you have become.

This is NOT Euro Disney, or some other tourist or entertainment venue where your entire experience, including the emotions they want you to feel are imagined or manipulated. This is the REAL, AUTHENTIC, pilgrimage from the Middle Ages. Your emotions on arrival are intended to be your personal and private emotions. They are public, but only to the extent you choose to share them with others.

Yes, the final 500 meters or so, walking through the ancient city towards the Plaza de Obradoiro can be bittersweet; but, only if you permit it to be. I respectfully suggest and recommend that you, instead focus on the accomplishment of a long and difficult journey.

Take it from the hundreds of us who form the core, veteran membership of this Forum, you HAVE changed. Some of the changes are apparent now. Others will not come to you until you return home and try to rejoin a culture and society that "does not get it."

Frequently, it is only after some weeks that the dichotomy of pilgrimage, your journey, and the effects it had on you begin to bubble to the surface. Learn from these realizations. Revel in the changed outlook you may well have on the world, writ large. You may well find that you are a new, improved YOU.

Personally, I find that the "Real World"is rather insignificant and largely irrelevant after I have walked another Camino, or worked as a volunteer for a month. I return home refreshed and with a new, more removed outlook toward my life, outside the Camino. I ALWAYS get more out of my Camino de Santiago (CdS) experiences than I put into them. Also, I always leave, not wanting to depart, and eager to return.

For millennia, people from all races, faith systems, and political beliefs have walked the many routes of the Camino de Santiago, as well as other major pilgrimage routes to both religious / holy places and to secular destinations for thousands of years. There are pilgrimage routes in Asia many hundreds or thousands of years older than the CdS. People all over the world continue to practice these sacrifices and walk long and arduous pilgrimages to this day.

While the largest tranche of pilgrims on the various CdS routes may well be Christians on a varying degree or depth of a religious pilgrimage, they are by no means the entirety of pilgrims headed for Santiago. Particularly since its designation by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, after more recently, following the popularity of several films and books, the numbers of pilgrims has surged.

People walk these pilgrimage routes for all sorts of reasons. They come from all points of the compass and from all walks of life. However, once they are on the Camino, they all have a singular focus...to arrive at Santiago. The simplicity of that statement, and the import of it are more evident the more you consider the statement. it reminds me of the official motto for the United States of America "E pluribus unum." Translated form the Latin, it means "out of many, one."

Nuff said, welcome to the group of veteran pilgrims...!

I hope this helps the dialog.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All I can say is that you just have to walk it and then see for yourself. For me it didn´t matter where I was or where it ended....all that mattered to me was every single day with myself and the people I met.
I had several moments on the Camino that were rather emotional and ´Spiritual´ and Santiago de Compostela was one of them.....but not the only one.

Buen Camino.
Michael
My experience, and advice, exactly. Buen Viaje.

@sitges54 my pilgrimage is always to the 'end of the world' and the chance to watch the light of the world sink beyond the sundering seas. For some interesting and fun discussions on the end of it all try searching the forum for 'pagans on the camino' or similar. I won't rehearse the discussion here but you might be minded that there were pilgrims to finis terre in the many years before the Apostle was found at Santiago.

My goal was not Santiago, but to walk across Spain, from the French border to the sea. To me Santiago was just another city on the way. The only thing that put a damper on arriving in Finesterre was the fact that I developed a bad cold after leaving Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino is definitely the working and prime example of the fact that the journey is the important part, not the destination. Just as in life, our journeys are different yet our final destination is the same.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back