• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Fire That Burns Within The Pilgrim. It's a Long Way from Tipperary to Santiago

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
The Fire That Burns Within The Pilgrim. IT’S A LONG WAY FROM TIPPERARY TO SANTIAGO:

Just a few days before Santiago, walking just before dawn through the hilly forest between Triancastela and Sarria., my body fatigued, the feet aching, but at least the infected decaying tooth better after a week of antibiotics. This is my 6th Camino but the feeling is different. Sensing connection to the pilgrims of hundreds of years ago as I am closing in on 3000 kilometers walking. As well with my friends, Falko of Germany, Per of Sweden, and Tom of Austria who walked from their homes in previous years, only now starting to understand their journeys. I passed through Villafranca two days ago where there is a church of Santiago just a day before crossing over the mountain pass O Cebriero. In 1186 the local bishop received a Papal disposition to offer Compostelas to those pilgrims that were sick or dying and likely to die making the climb. Sensing their pain makes me wonder about the fire that burns within the pilgrim. That burns within me. Long ago anybody that had walked from deep in Europe here would very likely have lost friends and or family who perished on the dangerous pilgrimage.
1A64B991-CD02-4395-A50B-7FE82D0AC682.jpeg
(The grave of cousin John Kevin Scanlon with his shell on top of my pack)

The Camino today is a more joyous journey but I have a new respect for my friends and the old pilgrims that walked long distances. I didn’t know why but there was a growing sense that the journey must be completed, that I would crawl if necessary. There was no choice. Passing the Church of Santiago in Villafranca I felt some clarity. I was not just walking for myself but feeling the weight of ancestors as well. My start in Ballina, Tipperary and walk to my ancestral homes in Clare seems an eternity ago. I had forgotten about it but I stopped to look deep in my pack and still have the small shell from John Kevin Scanlon’s grave that I picked up back in Carrigaholt, Clare, Ireland in May.

So I lift my pack and strap it on my back and walk on thinking that reaching Santiago this time will be truly special. But knowing that this journey, pilgrimage will end in Muxia where I will return John Kevin’s shell to the sea.

Ultreia!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you, thank you for sharing your deep understanding of the pilgrim heart. I recently bought tickets to walk on the Camino for the 5th time. My family response has been noticeably reserved. My husband who does support me considers my time on the Camino as "vacation" despite my efforts to explain otherwise. And so I will go this fall and future Caminos for reasons sometimes unknown even to myself. The fire that burns within is real!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Pilgrim heart!!! That's so true..
I walked the Ingles in the memory of my dad.. this
It is only shared by other pilgrims, for my acquaintances too they think is a holiday as they cannot evaluate what a pilgrimage is.
I hope one day they will too understand, as I prayed for them in the cathedral..
Buen camino David, may God always look over you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Up Tipp and buen camino!

Pilgrim heart!!! That's so true..
I walked the Ingles in the memory of my dad.. this
It is only shared by other pilgrims, for my acquaintances too they think is a holiday as they cannot evaluate what a pilgrimage is.
I hope one day they will too understand, as I prayed for them in the cathedral..
Buen camino David, may God always look over you.
Who will understand, not having walked?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back