• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Five Pound Camino Pack

Jo Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
One of the spiritual lessons my wife really learned on her first Camino was how little she needed to carry. We've been on four Caminos now, and heading off for a fifth (Salvador to Primitivo) this September. At this point, her packing list is pretty dialed in, and we thought we'd share it in case it might of help other pilgrims to walk lighter and easier. Her base weight (total weight less worn weight and consumables) is less than 5 pounds (about 2kg for those of you outside the U.S.), with a total weight of about 8 pounds (3.6kg).

The link is to LighterPack, which is a website to create your own gear lists. It is really useful and free to sign up (we are not affiliated with it; there is no revenues we gain from clicking--it's just the best of such websites we've found). Whether you use that website, another, or just a piece of paper and pen, our strongest advice is to weigh everything in grams (to make the differences really pop out) and be scrupulous about listing everything you are taking.

Buen (y ligero) Camino,
Jo Jo and Nery

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks....this is great

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only thing I see missing is a foot bag. I was happy to have my own supplies of bandaids, alcohol wipes, small scissors to take care of my feet...
With the Injini Toe socks and the Hoka's my wife (annoyingly) does not really get foot issues. I do, and carry paper tape and small pair of titanium sewing scissors (8g) I got off Amazon. I'll post my list later. It's a bit heavier (if for no other reason than I usually carry a second pair of shoes--my feet like to change out shoes during the day).

I would add a first aid kit and a larger 1l metal (Sigg) water bottle.
The shop 500ml bottles can crack and 500ml is not enough unless you can guarantee frequent replenishment

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would add a first aid kit and a larger 1l metal (Sigg) water bottle.
The shop 500ml bottles can crack and 500ml is not enough unless you can guarantee frequent replenishment
I had very similar thoughts when I first started walking with her. But I had her to show me a different way.

First aid supplies (if needed) are bought at the farmacias along the way.

Sure the plastic bottles get cracked--she just buys another bottle of water and replaces it (usually to use a bathroom at some bar/restaurant along the way).

As for water, she just chugs 500ml at the water source, fills up again and goes. I've seen her do this on the Frances in July (it does not get much hotter) and never run out of water. For long stretches of the Frances, where you have towns every 5-7km, I've seen her just chug water at each fuente and then carry her bottle empty. Her point being that 500ml of water is about a 20% increase in pack weight for her, and if you carry a full water bottle past a fuente, you are carrying unnecessary weight. I've learned a lot from watching how she walks.

One of the spiritual lessons my wife really learned on her first Camino was how little she needed to carry. We've been on four Caminos now, and heading off for a fifth (Salvador to Primitivo) this September. At this point, her packing list is pretty dialed in, and we thought we'd share it in case it might of help other pilgrims to walk lighter and easier. Her base weight (total weight less worn weight and consumables) is less than 5 pounds (about 2kg for those of you outside the U.S.), with a total weight of about 8 pounds (3.6kg).

The link is to LighterPack, which is a website to create your own gear lists. It is really useful and free to sign up (we are not affiliated with it; there is no revenues we gain from clicking--it's just the best of such websites we've found). Whether you use that website, another, or just a piece of paper and pen, our strongest advice is to weigh everything in grams (to make the differences really pop out) and be scrupulous about listing everything you are taking.

Buen (y ligero) Camino,
Jo Jo and Nery

Wow love it THANKS. I’ve done 4 Caminos now and my pack weight including the pack is 5kg plus water, food etc as needed. I noted that she doesn’t have a second walking show like sandals which I’ve found useful if foot issues arise but then I too switched to a Hoka One (Aref) my last camino and didn't need to wear my sandals. Thanks again.

I’ll admit it, I can’t be the only one, I never weighed my pack. I took what I knew I needed, replenished what I used as I went and returned home with everything I left with. I carried my pack from Pamplona to Santiago without any issues. I wouldn’t dream of walking without water IMO that is weight worth carrying.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[ Her base weight (total weight less worn weight and consumables) is less than 5 pounds (about 2kg for those of you outside the U.S.), with a total weight of about 8 pounds (3.6kg).

Jo Jo and Nery
[/QUOTE]

A 500ml water bottle wouldn't provide a lot of hydration. I couldn't find the weight of the water in your list. 500ml should weigh around 1.1 lbs, and most of us carry at least twice, if not four times, that. Granted, the weight diminishes as we consume the water, but the starting weight would be 4.4 lbs if we're carrying 2 litres, right?

[ Her base weight (total weight less worn weight and consumables) is less than 5 pounds (about 2kg for those of you outside the U.S.), with a total weight of about 8 pounds (3.6kg).

Jo Jo and Nery

A 500ml water bottle wouldn't provide a lot of hydration. I couldn't find the weight of the water in your list. 500ml should weigh around 1.1 lbs, and most of us carry at least twice, if not four times, that. Granted, the weight diminishes as we consume the water, but the starting weight would be 4.4 lbs if we're carrying 2 litres, right?
[/QUOTE]
If you read the last paragraph there are times when she chugs water at fountains the carries her bottle empty! What???

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I couldn't find the weight of the water in your list.
The list was posted to illustrate base weight, without food and water. The question of how much water to carry is a separate discussion and there are many variables including weather, distance to next source, and individual water needs.

Challenge: I purchased a Free Spirit 30L pocket pack from Gobi Gear. That will be my pack. If it does not fit, it will not be going. First Aid / Foot Care kit is #1, followed by clothing, (rain and otherwise), toiletries, water container(s) and secondary shoes.

Another option is to take the small pack with nothing in it and buy what you need as you go, maybe starting with socks, underwear and a shirt, keeping only those things that will be of benefit on the journey. When something falls apart, replace.

Jo Jo and Nery

[/QUOTE]

I think part of the confusion of inclusion stem from the two primary definitions for describing backpack weight (there are others, but they are not really significant).

1. Base Weight. This is the weight which includes all of the gear and clothing - including the backpack itself - but does not include consumables like water and food. This is what the OP was posting about.

2. Total Pack Weight. This includes EVERYTHING that is carried in the backpack at the beginning of a trip or right after a resupply. This weight will fluctuate quite significantly as food is eaten, water is drunk, and other items like stove fuel are used up.

Hopefully, this may help while reading the OPs postings. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
All these helpful folk who say that anything you need can be bought in Spain. Whatever you buy in Spain you then have to carry people! Eg shampoo, soap, toothpaste, sunscreen, socks,etc. So I would rather buy them before I leave home and make sure that I can fit them in my pack. Also prefer to spend cash before I leave rather than take extra Euros with.

All these helpful folk who say that anything you need can be bought in Spain. Whatever you buy in Spain you then have to carry people! Eg shampoo, soap, toothpaste, sunscreen, socks,etc. So I would rather buy them before I leave home and make sure that I can fit them in my pack. Also prefer to spend cash before I leave rather than take extra Euros with.

You have a good point. :)

I think of the 'buy what you need in Spain' reference being geared more toward those who take overly large quantities of the items you mentioned for 'just in case' fears. Those fears being a lack of availability.

I bring small quantities of things like wash soaps and toothpaste. If or when I run out, I can find travel-sizes of these products at various stores to resupply. Heck, you can even use those hotel sized bottles of stuff if you decide to stay at a hotel or similar type of lodging.

The same holds true for clothing or gear, like socks. For example, I take just two pair of socks to meet my direct needs. If a sock develops a hole, then I know it can easily be replaced in-country so that I do not need to carry 'just in case' pairs. I can let the stores in Spain hold my inventory of 'just in case' needs so I don't have to carry that extra bulk and weight around with me. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you mean you don't take a darning needle and spare wool to darn your holey socks???? I agree about the just in case stuff.
Xd

As long as it is comfortable and manageable weight doesn't matter. Having said that, my kitchen scales are getting a work out.lol
I’ll admit it, I can’t be the only one, I never weighed my pack. I took what I knew I needed, replenished what I used as I went and returned home with everything I left with. I carried my pack from Pamplona to Santiago without any issues. I wouldn’t dream of walking without water IMO that is weight worth carrying.

Aside from discarding unnecessary things from my pack, upon returning home, I transferred a lot of unnecessary clothes and material things to my kids and charities. It’s an approach easy to apply to your regular life after happily traipsing around Europe, living a semi-minimalist life. With time the currency of retirement, it uncomplicates your life.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
I don't think that I've ever completely filled my 2 liter hydration pack. I usually carry less than a liter. I supplement that by having something to drink when I stop to eat/rest, so I think that 500ml is perfectly reasonable. This year on the Salvador on my longest day I had about 1.5 liters in the hydration pack, plus a partially full disposable bottle - my emergency water for if the hydration pack runs out. Of course, if/when I do the Via de la Plata I will probably carry more because of the longer distances between places where I can replenish my water.

Aside from discarding unnecessary things from my pack, upon returning home, I transferred a lot of unnecessary clothes and material things to my kids and charities. It’s an approach easy to apply to your regular life after happily traipsing around Europe, living a semi-minimalist life. With time the currency of retirement, it uncomplicates your life. So true I met many people who realized how little is necessary to live where going home to declutter.

Maybe it's good for summer. But when I was during the spring my clothes for rainy weather are heavy than this. And I took 0.8L bottle. I this 0.5L is extremely little.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is true that 0.5L of water is small but it can be life saving for a pilgrim who is severely dehydrated (experience, not me). It is an important part of my first aid supplies.

It is true that 0.5L of water is small but it can be life saving for a pilgrim who is severely dehydrated (experience, not me). It is an important part of my first aid supplies.
Maybe I misunderstood but for main bottle 0.5L is small. That's what I told.

Maybe I misunderstood but for main bottle 0.5L is small. That's what I told.
You are absolutely right, 0.5L is much too small for a regular water bottle. Many of us carry something around that size, in addition to our regular bottle, for emergency use and do not consider it to be excess weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You are absolutely right, 0.5L is much too small for a regular water bottle. Many of us carry something around that size, in addition to our regular bottle, for emergency use and do not consider it to be excess weight.
But if it works for someone else, why worry about it?

During April I walked with 0.8l main bottle. That's all. But I understand your point of view.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Buen (y ligero) Camino,
Jo Jo and Nery
Gracias, muy informativo. Pienso en mi 2ndo Camino el próximo septiembre. Trataré está mochila para mi esposa y yo la Osprey Talon 11. Buen Camino!

I do love my Injinji socks as well, did 2 Caminos with little foot trouble.....
The pack, well take what you think you need, and ditch / give away stuff on the way when you realise you wont use them, like my sleeping bag on the last trip
Buen Camino a todos

You have a good point. :)

I think of the 'buy what you need in Spain' reference being geared more toward those who take overly large quantities of the items you mentioned for 'just in case' fears. Those fears being a lack of availability.

I bring small quantities of things like wash soaps and toothpaste. If or when I run out, I can find travel-sizes of these products at various stores to resupply. Heck, you can even use those hotel sized bottles of stuff if you decide to stay at a hotel or similar type of lodging.

The same holds true for clothing or gear, like socks. For example, I take just two pair of socks to meet my direct needs. If a sock develops a hole, then I know it can easily be replaced in-country so that I do not need to carry 'just in case' pairs. I can let the stores in Spain hold my inventory of 'just in case' needs so I don't have to carry that extra bulk and weight around with me. :)
Where does one look for "travel size" containers in Spain?

Where does one look for "travel size" containers in Spain?
I find them mostly in the parafarmacias in the larger towns. These are stores that have toiletries, first aid supplies, cosmetics, etc., but not medicines like farmacias have. They will usually have a viaje (travel) section. Some of the larger supermerados also have travel size toiletries.
Instead of body lotion, which usually only comes in larger containers, I buy hand lotion, which comes in a smaller tube. I'm pretty sure that they all have the same basic ingredients. I use it on my body, hands and face as needed.

Many toiletries in full-size bottles are quite inexpensive in Spain. If you can't find travel sized ones, just buy large containers and refill your small ones! I've been quite successful squeezing toothpaste from a full-size tube into a travel-sized one (just don't squeeze too hard!), and leave the extra for another pilgrim to use...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
OK, so what if you were staying in hotels only and going in the summer. You could carry a rain jacket, water bottle, charger, toothbrush, and toothpaste. Wash your clothes in the sink when you go to bed and let them dry overnight. Only downside is that you'll not be clean until you go to bed. Anybody ever gone this minimalist?

Impressive. I admire your ability to pare down to the essentials. I really do. I get the spiritual lesson too. Clothes for me are the easy part. Don’t need much. It’s all the gadgets I think I can’t do without. It’s the Boy Scout in me, I guess; to “be prepared”. Going to give your pack list due consideration for next time to compensate for the camera gear I plan to take. I know what you’re thinking; “this guy’s incorrigible.”

Impressive. I admire your ability to pare down to the essentials. I really do. I get the spiritual lesson too. Clothes for me are the easy part. Don’t need much. It’s all the gadgets I think I can’t do without. It’s the Boy Scout in me, I guess; to “be prepared”. Going to give your pack list due consideration for next time to compensate for the camera gear I plan to take. I know what you’re thinking; “this guy’s incorrigible.”
Yes the lesson is real. But (because I'm a wimp) my fam is very concerned that we'll vanish from the face of the Earth traveling without an organized tour with guide, so I post to the blog and that way they know we're alive. Which requires the electronics to do the posting, so...Samsung brand "kindle" (has books too), and for when we get back in the States, my phone to announce it. And of course the camera to record things in addition to what gets put into the "kindle" pictures and later recapped on the blog after return.

I was inspired by this thread, and DH also, and we weighed stuff... still need to weigh cameras and phones and "kindles" and the paper guide books. Because for us the paper is still very useful. And we're looking at maybe trimming some of the webbing at the XS ends of the straps on packs. And sending some things to Ivar, too.

Thanks for provoking thoughts!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.