• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The force of the Camino: Hasn't everyone learnt a lesson or two?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I notice many viewpoints on this issue in here, from people coming from different walks of life: religious, spirituals, sports walkers, bicyclists, ignorants, atheists etc. They all share some common experiences learned, it seems to me.

I am just reflecting on my calling to the Camino, since my very first walk: How strange isn't it? I need to return. And so it seems that many do: I am not alone.

During 4 walks I have experienced many strange things: It seems that the Camino is a force (only within?) that is calling to people. A dirt road cannot do that by itself, so what is it? Is it the knowledge that we are walking in the footsteps of millions before us? Or is it that we are up-rooted from our hectic lives to experience something bigger/greater? I do not know. But I know the calling.

I have seen very devoted people on the Way. But I think I have seen more people like me; spiritual, in my meaning of the word: Reflecting upon this life.

And I have seen sporting people, tourists, and solely km-addicted walkers, not really caring. But I have most often seen a common denomitation: The tears in front of the Cathedral, and a deeper understanding when at the end of the Way. Maybe because they reached their goal, or because they suddenly understood that the Way was the goal, and it was now over. Or rather: To be continued from thereafter.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that everyone seen on the Way should have respect. So many start out with certain (or no) anticipations, but, during the walk, the Camino provides important lesssons for all to learn from.

The speed walking strong captain who wasn't so strong and had to abort, the non-believer who turned into an agnostic, the believer who wasn't anymore so sure and educational towards others, and so on.

From what I have seen and experienced, the vast majority of walkers come out in the other end with many new lessons, and as better humans.

Each to his own, and:
Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"YO SOY EL CAMINO QUE BUSCA VIAJEROS"

Those words are inscribed on the holy water font in the front of Notre Dame in Paris. The good people at the cathedral were nice enough to put the English translation as well.

"I AM THE WAY WHICH SEEKS TRAVELERS"

Makes sense to me. ;)

Saint Augustine said "Solivtor ambulando": "it is solved by walking". I think this is what many of us find on the camino, and often yearn for more solutions which can be found within the return to walking the camino again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know what it is, but we want to go back and walk another Camino. Before walking the Frances we could not understand why anybody would want to do it a second time. By the time we got to Muxia, we did not want it to end.

Six pilgrims on Camino

One night under the stars

Pondered at the wisdom

At settling truths in bars

What is the real reason

For walking far and wide

Let no barrier be erected

Expose what you might hide

“It’s obvious,” said the writer

The Camino holds its sway

By romanticizing suffering

As each pilgrim makes their Way

“I disagree and I can prove it,”

Declared the Catholic Priest

“It’s scripture and repentance”

God’s shield against the Beast

“Hold on,” the ageing hippie

Dead flowers in her hair

It’s spiritual not dogma

That draws me to this fair

Withdrawn until this moment

A vagabond’s drink in hand

“For me a cheap vacation”

No roots, no home, no plan

“My demons, they are many”

And war my daily bread

The Camino Calls, I answer

Cleansing heart and soul of dread

It’s all of these and none of these

The Camino ebbs and flows

The same, yet ever changing

The truths each pilgrim knows

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I notice many viewpoints on this issue in here, from people coming from different walks of life: religious, spirituals, sports walkers, bicyclists, ignorants, atheists etc. They all share some common experiences learned, it seems to me.

I am just reflecting on my calling to the Camino, since my very first walk: How strange isn't it? I need to return. And so it seems that many do: I am not alone.

During 4 walks I have experienced many strange things: It seems that the Camino is a force (only within?) that is calling to people. A dirt road cannot do that by itself, so what is it? Is it the knowledge that we are walking in the footsteps of millions before us? Or is it that we are up-rooted from our hectic lives to experience something bigger/greater? I do not know. But I know the calling.

I have seen very devoted people on the Way. But I think I have seen more people like me; spiritual, in my meaning of the word: Reflecting upon this life.

And I have seen sporting people, tourists, and solely km-addicted walkers, not really caring. But I have most often seen a common denomitation: The tears in front of the Cathedral, and a deeper understanding when at the end of the Way. Maybe because they reached their goal, or because they suddenly understood that the Way was the goal, and it was now over. Or rather: To be continued from thereafter.

I have therefore come to the conclusion that everyone seen on the Way should have respect. So many start out with certain (or no) anticipations, but, during the walk, the Camino provides important lesssons for all to learn from.

The speed walking strong captain who wasn't so strong and had to abort, the non-believer who turned into an agnostic, the believer who wasn't anymore so sure and educational towards others, and so on.

From what I have seen and experienced, the vast majority of walkers come out in the other end with many new lessons, and as better humans.

Each to his own, and:
Buen Camino!

You ask, and make, the most soul searching questions!

Once upon a time when I was a long distance runner I read an article that was trying to explain the draw of that obsession. It was, something to the effect, that in our normal modern lives we don't have the opportunity to "go on a heros' journey". I think this is one aspect of the Camino. We leave home for the unfamiliar and return changed. We become, in some sense, a "hero" for ourselves.

I have also heard it said that we are drawn to the Camino because we have walked it before in another life.

Whatever it is--it's extremely powerful! It's been many years for me and I still obsess about it hope to get there again (God willing)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a power if you wish emanating from the Camino, attracting us almost to an obsession. However, should one be more aware since it is quickly apparent that this obsession with Saint James is often matched in return by similar feelings from the good Saint himself. Here in Jerusalem there are several places where Saint James will come to greet you-the Armenian Cathedral and their important relic, the beautifully restored prayer space just to the East of the Mosque of Omar, in Israel he is also on the ceiling of the Church of the Transfiguration up upon Mount Tabor. It is very easy to find him along any of the Camino routes but he is also waiting in many other places. My last visit to Venice, the tourist office found for me a hotel less than 100 meters from the Chiesa di San Giacomo di Rialto, the Altar of Saint James is a good reason to visit the cathedral in Pistoia; in Pisa he is depicted on the wall in a small chapel but last time I was there he surprised me by standing opposite the chapel in disguise as an immoveable street huckster wearing hat, cloak, shell, staff, and gourd who would stride and bless those who put a coin in his cup; in New York City the standard recommended tour of their Chinatown begins by the Metro station and ends -right- in Saint James Square. I have many other examples but as we chase Saint James, he is also pursuing us.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps it is about love? I don't mean romantic love or what the music industry thinks love is but .... that being self-contained yet interdependent ... that sharing with strangers who are not strangers .. that helping others or being helped, without even thinking about it .. those random acts of kindness ... that undefinable sense of belonging .. of being there .. of being ... that being away from a world that has nothing to do with being a real human, nothing to do with love that allows us - some of us, many of us - to reveal who and what we really are ... allows us to finally flower ... so, perhaps it is about love, in its most genuine sense .... or are we too embarrassed to mention that word, Love?

something like this??? is this not what we step away from when we go on Camino? and is this not what flowers from deep withing us - Love? - and, incidentally, is why I feel that connecting technology has no place on the Camino! :( because it keeps us hooked to "back there".

( I really like this rapper poet - no funny religious clothes, no meditation, no sitting cross-legged, no doctrine or dogma .. just a modern take on an eternal wisdom)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have been enthusiastic and passionate about many things in my life, but nothing even touches the quiet pull of this path. I begin in 173 days. My pack is packed. My Keen shoes are softening up as each day I walk with Spanish lessons on my iPhone. Spain. Now to prepare my blog. Address: neverlost4good.com

Ann, did you write this?
Six pilgrims on Camino ... One night under the stars

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I penned a song along the Way. It kept me going when times got hard. It contains true stories of some of the lovely Camino family I met on the way and some of the Spanish characters along the Norte.

I guess we were all trying to find the right question and an adequate answer.

THE WAY .

I've travelled this Way a long lifetime now
From cold lands in the North to deep seas in the South
From the light in the East to sunsets in the West
I've seen man at his worst I've seen man at his best

I meet a young girl who travels alone
Whose eyes sparkle like any bright star
When I ask her, " What are you looking for?'
She smiles and says, "The same things that you are"

A young working man is walking to rule
His days are all set like a well oiled clock.
" And what are you hoping to find on the Way?"
" I'm looking for peace and the ticking to stop"

A wizened old guy pulls his dog on a cart
He looks like he's chiselled from granite.
" Why sir", I ask, " are you walking this Way?"
" Why 'tis better I walked it than ran it!"

I pass a young pilgrim who's wounded by love
His heart has been stolen and shattered
" And what do you seek on the Way young sir?"
" To find someone who thinks that I mattered"

I see a poor family working their fields
Their backs are all bent with their labour.
I'm lost and I ask, " Will you show me the Way?"
They give water and food and some shelter.

I walk with a man who has long lost his God
He's spent his whole life with his grieving.
" What kind sir do you see on the Way?"
" I see nothing. And seeing's believing"

An American couple fifty years wed
Walk this Way like a hand in a glove.
" What is the secret of your journey so long?"
" 'Tis no secret, just a warm tender love"

And Francesco can chisel magic from rock
Lets his music and his tools do his talking.
" What can you tell me about the Way you work on?"
" Your Way will not end. Just your walking"

Two sweet Austrian girls are walking with Jesus
I'm not sure who is leading or who's being led.
" Can you tell me the secret of your Camino?"
" The shells always point straight ahead"

Jurgen and Judith are Camino 'vets'
They walk it and talk it together.
" Can you tell me how I might finish this Way?"
" Just put one foot in front of the other"

Stefan 'the Snail' has his home on his back
He loves to sleep on the floor.
" And why do you sleep outside on the Way?"
" I can't stand peregrinos who snore!"

An old Spanish lady of ninety-three years
Only joy in her eyes; never sorrow.
" And what is the secret of your long Camino?"
" Drink chipitos today - live tomorrow!"

The handsome young couple walking from Spain
So funny and free from all greed.
" And what can you tell me about your Way?"
" The Camino provides all you need"

Yes, I've travelled this Way a long lifetime now
From cold lands in the North to deep seas in the South,
From sunrise in the East to sunset in the West
I've seen many to discover their best.

And all these good pilgrims turn round to me.
" Please answer this if you care.
" What is it YOU look for, wending your Way?''
I hope to find out when I get there.

http://caminotim.wordpress.com

Last edited:
This thread is wonderful and I've felt a tear or two slide. I remembered myself walking, and felt my heart, deep and wide. Today I struggled and walked out of my front door. I walked through the problem; the camino remains with me in my journey through the story of my life now. I'm grateful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This thread is wonderful and I've felt a tear or two slide. I remembered myself walking, and felt my heart, deep and wide. Today I struggled and walked out of my front door. I walked through the problem; the camino remains with me in my journey through the story of my life now. I'm grateful.
You are in very good company. Just look at David's response, filled with love. He is correct, IMHO, and I fullheartedly stand by him and his beautiful post.

And for any others: The Camino is a very quiet, but very strong force.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps it is about love? I don't mean romantic love or what the music industry thinks love is but .... that being self-contained yet interdependent ... that sharing with strangers who are not strangers .. that helping others or being helped, without even thinking about it .. those random acts of kindness ... that undefinable sense of belonging .. of being there .. of being ... that being away from a world that has nothing to do with being a real human, nothing to do with love that allows us - some of us, many of us - to reveal who and what we really are ... allows us to finally flower ... so, perhaps it is about love, in its most genuine sense .... or are we too embarrassed to mention that word, Love?

something like this??? is this not what we step away from when we go on Camino? and is this not what flowers from deep withing us - Love? - and, incidentally, is why I feel that connecting technology has no place on the Camino! :( because it keeps us hooked to "back there".

( I really like this rapper poet - no funny religious clothes, no meditation, no sitting cross-legged, no doctrine or dogma .. just a modern take on an eternal wisdom)

Thank you David

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Seems appropriate A_n
I think an introduction is in order so, with your permission, I will add to the above these additional lines:

“Two chairs for late arrivals.

It’s Arn and Ann the twins!”

They’re identical, but different

Now the real fun begins

Arn’s a browbeat master

While Ann cajoles and sways

The perfect alter egos

Brilliant lights on darkest days

“The Camino,” Arn quips forcefully.

“Both provides and takes away.

As each pilgrim seeks to answer.

Why is it I walk the Way?”

Ann, with soft words whispers,

“Is your need now satisfied?

Are new truths and commitments

Safely nesting deep inside?”

Eight pilgrims on Camino

Sitting underneath the stars

Have made a revelation

Wisdom can be found in bars

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank-you Arn and Tim for sharing your poetic talents with us! Beautiful insightful words!

Wonderful!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Al,

Keeping with the topic of this thread (H/T Alex) and with the most sincere regard for Ivar and the many members of the Forum; here is my heartfelt commentary on what I have learnt while both on and off the Camino.
I joined the Forum back in 2007 and after lurking for several months...began the "Class of 2008" thread. This was my first attempt to get inside the heads of those who have or would walk the Way.
Without retelling the up and down story of my first Camino...I'll just say that my disappointment of not being capable of twisting the Camino to my way, led me to soul search for some time. I opened my heart to several Forum members. No, actually I bled freely (Sil, Deirdre, Sabine, etc) returning to my former “lurking” past.
Through the efforts of, and in my absence, William and Falcon269 kept the “Class of…” thread going as I struggled to get my head back on straight.
I was not use to failure.
And, yes, I did complete that first CF, but not on my terms.
Now fully vested in the Forum by my completing a Camino, I offered to assist Ivar should he need any additional mods. This turned out to be a mixed bag for all concerned.
As is my want, I threw myself into moderating full Monty by attempting to be all things, to all members mixing carefully researched responses/information with pithy rejoinders. Not all of which were well received.
In early 2009, while at my semi-annual physical, it became clear that I needed a major check-up from the neck up. The results conclusive: I had PTSD (although we prefer PTSSurvivor).
Part of my therapy was intense one-on-one counseling where it became quite evident that, because of incidents throughout my life, both inside and outside the military, I was highly functional on many levels. There were two areas where I was lacking: 1. An inability to recognize when to accept a less than stellar performance from myself and others, and 2. a tendency to avoid any outward display of empathy.
Somewhat broken in spirit, I sat down and drew up a contract with myself that did it’s best to right what wrongs I had done to others (family and friends), return to the Church in a more active role and do more positive things that supported those goals. The one constant thread throughout is the Camino.
I came to realize that while involved with planning for another walk along the Way and sharing my experience, excitement and enthusiasm with others, I was in a good place. I was happy, I was vital, I was home.
This change in attitude was obvious to others and my strengths in the counseling arena went from participant to lay practitioner. My strongest credential being my training on the battlefield and not the classroom. Add to that important point of entry with fellow veterans my experiences on Camino and we now had a bridge between military and civilian life.
To be successful in any endeavor you need to have a clear objective, the resources and quality people to carry it out. The Camino, in general and the Forum in particular provides that in spades.
Witness this specific thread, it has it all: members from every walk of life, the Camino savvy and the neophyte, each contributing in their own unique way with an interactive, expertly run, social platform that provides near real time contact.
So, yes Al, it is VERY normal to allow our creative juices to flow in whatever direction it may lead with the goal to help every member grow with the experience. Exposing ourselves (Joey out of the gutter please) to others you have never met, but hope to along the Way.

I came to realize that while involved with planning for another walk along the Way and sharing my experience, excitement and enthusiasm with others, I was in a good place. I was happy, I was vital, I was home.
First "The Force of the Camino" and now you post such a personal history with such a wonderful outcome. You express your life and in this particular part me as well. Bless you for sharing Arn.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with Al...bless you for sharing Arn.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arn,

Your heartfelt and well-written essay on why the camino was and continues to be important to you was the kind of sharing that (I believe) many wish could share as candidly and beautifully as you have; thank you. I'm near to Ft Bragg, and have great concern and compassion for friends and husbands of friends that struggle to find a way to come to terms somehow with their experiences. I have said more than a couple of times in conversation that I, for one, feel that it should be only referred to as PTS. The D to me is the odd word - perhaps it is more of a disorder when one is emotionally untouched by the experience of war or trauma?
I would love to see soldiers with PTS have the opportunity to discover the gifts and insights so abundant on The Way.

Kerstin

Al,

Keeping with the topic of this thread (H/T Alex) and with the most sincere regard for Ivar and the many members of the Forum; here is my heartfelt commentary on what I have learnt while both on and off the Camino.
I joined the Forum back in 2007 and after lurking for several months...began the "Class of 2008" thread. This was my first attempt to get inside the heads of those who have or would walk the Way.
Without retelling the up and down story of my first Camino...I'll just say that my disappointment of not being capable of twisting the Camino to my way, led me to soul search for some time. I opened my heart to several Forum members. No, actually I bled freely (Sil, Deirdre, Sabine, etc) returning to my former “lurking” past.
Through the efforts of, and in my absence, William and Falcon269 kept the “Class of…” thread going as I struggled to get my head back on straight.
I was not use to failure.
And, yes, I did complete that first CF, but not on my terms.
Now fully vested in the Forum by my completing a Camino, I offered to assist Ivar should he need any additional mods. This turned out to be a mixed bag for all concerned.
As is my want, I threw myself into moderating full Monty by attempting to be all things, to all members mixing carefully researched responses/information with pithy rejoinders. Not all of which were well received.
In early 2009, while at my semi-annual physical, it became clear that I needed a major check-up from the neck up. The results conclusive: I had PTSD (although we prefer PTSSurvivor).
Part of my therapy was intense one-on-one counseling where it became quite evident that, because of incidents throughout my life, both inside and outside the military, I was highly functional on many levels. There were two areas where I was lacking: 1. An inability to recognize when to accept a less than stellar performance from myself and others, and 2. a tendency to avoid any outward display of empathy.
Somewhat broken in spirit, I sat down and drew up a contract with myself that did it’s best to right what wrongs I had done to others (family and friends), return to the Church in a more active role and do more positive things that supported those goals. The one constant thread throughout is the Camino.
This change in attitude was obvious to others and my strengths in the counseling arena went from participant to lay practitioner. My strongest credential being my training on the battlefield and not the classroom. Add to that important point of entry with fellow veterans my experiences on Camino and we now had a bridge between military and civilian life.
To be successful in any endeavor you need to have a clear objective, the resources and quality people to carry it out. The Camino, in general and the Forum in particular provides that in spades.
Witness this specific thread, it has it all: members from every walk of life, the Camino savvy and the neophyte, each contributing in their own unique way with an interactive, expertly run, social platform that provides near real time contact.
So, yes Al, it is VERY normal to allow our creative juices to flow in whatever direction it may lead with the goal to help every member grow with the experience. Exposing ourselves (Joey out of the gutter please) to others you have never met, but hope to along the Way.
I salute you Arn !
PTS (with or without the D, it's still hell on wheels either way) and to me, the scariest and most terrifying experience there is. (Sometimes worse than the initial incidences, for 'memory' tells me it had an end. With an episode, i never know how long it will last. A day, a few days.... Or weeks.)
I salute you for having placed one foot in front of the other - on and off camino.
I salute you for reclaiming life ...a step at a time. Perhaps a camino at a time :)
And how fun that the creative juices flow along with it. And thanks for sharing that too. The sense of restored vitality and engagement with life is precious beyond belief!
Salute, Claudia

If there was one person I would like to walk the whole Way with, it would be Arn. Thank you, sir. I would be honoured to walk beside you. Honesty is an own language. When spoken, we share deep truths and insights. I salute you, sir. I shall quote a Norw. songwriter: " I cannot walk the Way for you: You will have to do it by yourself. But I can walk with you".

In this context, "the Way" means "life", not only the Camino. But you all understood that, yes ?

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
From my experience walking the Frances, the vast majority of pilgrims walk 'the way' because they are in search of something. When I left Boston on May 21, 2012, I believed I knew what that something was, but with each step across that magical 800 plus kilometer transcendental tunnel, I came out the other side with greater perspective and understanding. My reason for walking the Camino Frances, and this is hard to admit sometimes, but I was there to heal myself. When I was almost nine years old, I watched my father pass away from a heart attack while cutting the lawn. The next thirty five years were spent mourning the loss of a great husband to my mother, father to his children and friend to all who knew him. The Camino gave me peace and after all that time, I was able to reconcile my father's death and move on with my life. The Camino is an extremely personal experience and for me very spiritual as well but also one that is shear emotion. You can feel it coursing through your body and understand what it means to you, but try to explain it to someone back home and you become tongue-tied. One last thought, the Camino is simplicity, the very thing Henry David Thoreau learned during his time in that tiny little cabin in the woods by Walden Pond. Our world today is so complex, so busy, and so utterly confusing, it is no wonder that those lucky few who have the time to walk the Camino find it nothing short of a sanctuary for themselves. When I compare my time in Spain walking the Way of Saint James to the day to day experiences of the 21st century world I live in of 24 hour news cycles and life passing before your eyes at light speed, it is no wonder I want to get off this runaway train and go back...and I will someday. John

The Camino has changed my life too. I am very grateful to now know what it means to walk on the Camino. My toe nail finally fell off today. So now it is time to return.

It has been five months since since I reached Santiago. I met some wonderful friends from France along the way. We continue to exchange emails almost every day.

I am presently visiting with them in their home. We are planning our walk from Le Puy in April. That is our excuse to be together. We are spending most of our time just reliving the experiences we enjoyed.

Alexwalker and David have managed to express my feelings better than I ever could about this amazing journey.

My life has now become a Buen Camino and for that I will always be grateful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Gosh, this thread has taken on a life of it's own. First, the continued enthusiasm of Alexwalker and then the heartfelt and sanguine additions to the thread...mirroring on one hand, then personalizing on the other...exactly what differentiates the Camino from all other experiences.
We come to the Camino from different motivations: religious, spiritual and curiosity. Are we looking for validation of our beliefs, support that there is more in how we live our life...or an open book where all or none is possible?
I strongly believe, the Camino is the mortar that binds the structure in our lives, both religious and secular, thus making us stronger and open to the possibility that there IS a supreme creator who loves and leads us toward the light and away from darkness.
Knowing and believing there is more than just the here and now...trumps the finality of death and fairly guarantees a life everlasting in the communion of saints.

Gosh, this thread has taken on a life of it's own. First, the continued enthusiasm of Alexwalker and then the heartfelt and sanguine additions to the thread...mirroring on one hand, then personalizing on the other...exactly what differentiates the Camino from all other experiences.
We come to the Camino from different motivations: religious, spiritual and curiosity. Are we looking for validation of our beliefs, support that there is more in how we live our life...or an open book where all or none is possible?
I strongly believe, the Camino is the mortar that binds the structure in our lives, both religious and secular, thus making us stronger and open to the possibility that there IS a supreme creator who loves and leads us toward the light and away from darkness.
Knowing and believing there is more than just the here and now...trumps the finality of death and fairly guarantees a life everlasting in the communion of saints.
All who have walked the Way; we know: We have had our lessons. Do not fear death: It is merely a transition. I have come to this conclusion as a mathematician and physics engineer for half a century: There are laws that take us over, without me laborating on this issue. But here my belief is very strong. We simply cannot leave. We will continue to exist, but maybe in another form. So relax. You are not wasted. Ever. But as for the Camino: We all know its power, strange as it is, we who have experienced it, amidst our struggles, blisters, and everyday issues. But they do not matter in the big picture. We all know they have meaning. But you have to be there (on your Way) in your mindset in order to learn your lessons. And lessons you will learn, if you can receive them.

I wish you all the best, Arn.

But back to the topic: Haven't we all got a lesson or two in life from The Camino? And how powerful is that? :cool:

Edit:
We come to the Camino from different motivations: religious, spiritual and curiosity
I have a strong suspicion that nobody leaves the Camino without something at least spiritual in their hearts, Arn. It would call for a heart of stone not to...

Perhaps it is about love?
You are spot on, as always, David...

The Camino has changed my life too. I am very grateful to now know what it means to walk on the Camino.
You are a good man, my friend. And yes: The Camino is a strong teacher.

Last edited:
If there was one person I would like to walk the whole Way with, it would be Arn. Thank you, sir. I would be honoured to walk beside you. Honesty is an own language. When spoken, we share deep truths and insights. I salute you, sir. I shall quote a Norw. songwriter: " I cannot walk the Way for you: You will have to do it by yourself. But I can walk with you".

In this context, "the Way" means "life", not only the Camino. But you all understood that, yes ?
Alexwalker, my next Camino France's has two goals: walk what I missed the first time: meseta, Cruz de Ferro and visit with Reb.
My start date is firm 6April. As I will join up with my parish priest a week later (he has 18 days) I will start in SJPDP, at Zubiri bus to Pamplona. Walk to Estrella, bus to Burgos, walk the Meseta...meet up with Father Jonathan in Leon and on to Santiago.
That's the plan, the Camino may make a change here and there. If it fits your plans or any other Forum members, please consider the journey.
Buen Camino,
Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just made my plans the last weekend: April 6th (!) to Barcelona. 7th, train to Astorga, to walk to SdC. A couple of rest days, and then on to Finisterre, or: Walk the Portuguese.

Yes:
Let us try that, my friend.

It became so because my girlfriend (!, sh*t: I am 60 and have a "girl"friend...:D my age +more...) made the decision that we should go to Creete for 3 weeks from May 30th: So I said to her OK: Buen Camino for me in April/May! :D:D:D

Edit: Hmmm... Camino force/lesson at work? ;)

But: Slightly off-topic here (again...)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some beautiful words written about lessons learned, many of which seem to be very similar and life changing too! My contribution would be that the Way taught us to be awake to each moment. To be in charge of our own thoughts and what we need to think to live in the present moment, not in our past or in the future but living each moment of our lives (just like our breathing or our footsteps) one at a time in the present. Still on our Camino! :) Oh and a 'smile' is a GIFT we can give and receive.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back