• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Forum has become the home to "lost glasses"

naplesdon

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Multiple Caminos 2010 to 2019
Everyday someone is reporting lost and/or found glasses. Is this a testament to the number of seniors we have walking the Camino? For God sake, buy one of those strings that you strap around your neck to hang onto your glasses.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
alas! I left my dentures behind many years ago ! I simply resorted to my spares and carried on regardless :) As to the falling, I have a severe balance problem which is incurable. This means I CAN fall, DO fall and WILL fall . I have no control over this. It is challenging and painful. I am just back from 4 weeks in Spain . I handed in my boots at one place and told the proprietor to give them to the next pilgrim that needed them as my distance walking days are over. I will never go solo again either. My love was with me and was a star. I would never have made it without her. The kindness of strangers was legendary and helped pick me off the ground on several occasions. So, smartass, go easy on the sarcasm. I never thought I would wind up like this and perhaps you should be careful lest it happen to you. Dot and I did what we could and did our Camino by bus , with many stops, all the way to Finisterre and were very pleased with ourselves. We will go again next year.

Walk soft

Vaya

con Dios

alas! I left my dentures behind many years ago ! I simply resorted to my spares and carried on regardless :) As to the falling, I have a severe balance problem which is incurable. This means I CAN fall, DO fall and WILL fall . I have no control over this. It is challenging and painful. I am just back from 4 weeks in Spain . I handed in my boots at one place and told the proprietor to give them to the next pilgrim that needed them as my distance walking days are over. I will never go solo again either. My love was with me and was a star. I would never have made it without her. The kindness of strangers was legendary and helped pick me off the ground on several occasions. So, smartass, go easy on the sarcasm. I never thought I would wind up like this and perhaps you should be careful lest it happen to you. Dot and I did what we could and did our Camino by bus , with many stops, all the way to Finisterre and were very pleased with ourselves. We will go again next year.

Walk soft

Vaya

con Dios
Thanks Malingerer,
I am not generally a smart ass but this thread was begging for some sarcasm and I am an SOB when it comes to that. I have been hobbled with serious neuropathy in my right foot since 2015 but managed to walk a number of Camino until 2019. Since then NADA, I walk with a cane and fall over often enough on wet pavement and too much to drink. Right now, I have too much dignity in my situation to start using a walker but I probably should. I had a Camino hiatus for several years due to my health and family issues but I am back this summer as a hospitalero at Canfranc. Volunteering will be my gig from now on.

As someone under 50 who just stood at the supermarket checkout wondering where I'd put my shopping bags - the bags I was carrying under my arm - I'd say that all this losing things has nothing to do with seniors 🤣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Malingerer,
I am not generally a smart ass but this thread was begging for some sarcasm and I am an SOB when it comes to that. I have been hobbled with serious neuropathy in my right foot since 2015 but managed to walk a number of Camino until 2019. Since then NADA, I walk with a cane and fall over often enough on wet pavement and too much to drink. Right now, I have too much dignity in my situation to start using a walker but I probably should. I had a Camino hiatus for several years due to my health and family issues but I am back this summer as a hospitalero at Canfranc. Volunteering will be my gig from now on.
Nice one! I have often been fascinated with Canfranc so wish you all the best. I now have to use a wheelchair at airports etc and even tho I did 23 years as a social worker it still surprises me how people simply do not see me in a chair. I tried a walker but I live 2 floors up and no lift so it has always been easier to shop with rucksack! My malaise has me falling over sober which is a bit of a come down :) I still make my own mead and good red wine. I was supposed to sign up to a pre-diabetic course but at 85 I will take my chances! Keep your dignity and your pride. I do my damndest to do just that and will only give in when they are nailing the lid down :) Right now , my biggest hurt is knowing I can never be alone again on the mountain but my biggest joy is knowing Dot will be there ! Good Irish logic :)

Vaya con Dios

Samarkand

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, the wheelchair bit through the airport has certainly changed my perspective about how invisible people with disabilities become to the general public. There is absolutely no respect….

There comes a time in your life when you no longer fall over - you have a fall. I have got to the stage in life where I take care to remain upright when others are watching. But this short article will give us all pause for thought.

Attachments

• health issues on the camino-main.pdf
    148.4 KB · Views: 35
If anyone has the skills and time, a synopsis of the referenced article on the impact of footwear and packweight would be a very useful contribution to this forum.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Everyday someone is reporting lost and/or found glasses. Is this a testament to the number of seniors we have walking the Camino? For God sake, buy one of those strings that you strap around your neck to hang onto your glasses.
Funny you should say that... that's exactly what I did and yet still lost my glasses. Still hoping someone finds them. I'm just glad that there are kind people who want to help each other out. So far on my Camino Norte helpful people have returned walking sticks, hats, phone and wallets much to the owners relief. That's what this is all about, helping our fellow pilgrim out. In the end you can choose whether to read the Lost glasses threads or not.

It is funny that losing your glasses may be so common. It makes me feel better as I lost my plan-A- glasses while walking on the Camino. I took them off to rest their weight, placed them on the backpack strap hook and lo and behold, when I wanted to put them back, they were gone. Went back on the path for a km maybe, people asking me what was wrong, explaining why I was going backwards was embarrassing until I decided that it was not worth it. I was so mad at myself.
When I finally reached the next cafe con leche place, and took my plan-b-glasses out (this are the newest I had at the time and could not lose them), and reconcile with myself that I had a solution at hand, I continued enjoying my Camino. It worked out.
Now with this information from this forum, I will never go out from home without a backup pair of glasses. By the way, first thing I did when I came home was to order a new pair of glasses. I am a happy woman!

I've lost so many glasses I swapped to one day disposable contact lenses and a pair of reading glasses at the bottom of my bag for bedtime reading.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back