A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The forum - talking about donations

As everyone knows Ivar has been asking for donations and I hope he has had a good response.

I hope Ivar, you don't mind me addressing the issue a little further...

Since the Forum started Ivar has met every cent of expenditure himself albeit this has been mitigated a little by the paltry sums that he get for advertising. Ivar has had no other source of money to cover costs apart from this and occasional donations from users.

As well as responding to the current appeal which will give a one time injection of cash I've been wondering if Ivar ought not to look at a system of more regular subscriptions. For example if after a new user has been here for say, a month or three months or whatever to continue there could be an annual subscription of say 5€. Of course others may feel this wouldn't work and Ivar might not want to do impose but I'd subscribe more than that for this valuable resource.

What do you think?

John

Advertisment

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I am not sure about an annual subscription, we might lose some folk who have a lot to offer but very little money. However I do think that the Donations button, which disappeared along with the Ads could re-appear, maybe between Camino Calendar and Ivar's name and CC logo. Also that Ivar could update occasionally with his needs. Either that or when funds run short he could put all the Ads back on donors pages with a post explaining why :)

Maybe a 'one off' 5 euro joining fee would keep spammers at bay?
or 10 euros fee with the badge included? (I wonder if only members should be able to buy the badge? although it may be an important source of income for the forum so making it members only could be a bad move)
Would more then need putting behind the members log-in?

Raises a number of interesting and thought provoking questions. Meanwhile we too hope folk are being generous and donating. Every little helps and Ivar deserves our support

tyrrek

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-SdC (4-5/2011), Ferrol-SdC (9/2011), Pamplona-SdC (3-4/2012), Camino Finisterre (10/2012), Ourense-SdC (5/2014)
Yes, and maybe an imbalance could develop between those who are planning their Camino and those who have come back and have info to share. It might be tempting to cancel your subscription as soon as you got back.

I don't know what the solution is. In a way the site is already set up for charging in that you have 'guest' and 'registered' users, the latter of which could pay. However I know Ivar has said he doesn't want to charge for it in the past.

I think very visual reminders on the pages might just be the best first step. Just like an advert. Something along the lines of;
'About to leave for your Camino? Learned from the forum? You can donate here so future pilgrims can also benefit.'

Buen Camino!

aeveling

Thanks for posting this Johnnie. I'd been procrastinating on making a donation and now I've made one. I've no idea of the statistics regarding subscriptions for forums and whether it puts people off but I've no doubt there's plenty of research out there. I remember there was a lot of controversy recently when one or more of our newspapers discussed charging online readers. Not sure how it turned out.

Maybe regular posts on the subject from us lot might be help to generate funds (it certainly helped in my case). It might work better than just having a donate button which I would tend to 'tune out' after a while.

Andrew.

Advertisment

Abbeydore

Veteran Member
Yes your idea is OK John, I like the idea of donativo more :wink:

If Ivar felt he was getting too much,
my feeling is he would just give it to a good cause,
& I would be happy with that.

PS it's great not to see google telling me what I am thinking or have been think'n! :D

& the first Albergue I went to was one of yours in Rabinal, & yes it made me feel good giving & also meeting some people who slept outside & were looked after the following morning, with some bread etc, got our camino after a grand start!

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I think the best is if a donation give you "no ads" in the forum forever. This way, the new pilgrims that join us each season will be the ones that keep the donations/income flowing.

Subscription is not ideal (in my opinion) since it puts too much cost on one member.... right now we have 3 levels:
1) Visitor that has not registered => See quite a bit of ads + do not have access to the "Pilgrim Introduction" section
2) Registered member that has logged in => See some ads, but less than 1)
3) Registered member that has logged in + that also has donated => See no ads

I think this works for now.

Saludos,
Ivar

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Is there a payoff from ads if no one clicks them; does the revenue increase if we click the ads and go to the resulting site?

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I hate to make a profit on my friends, but I have discovered that my enemies won't do business with me.
If your supporters don't see the ads, they cannot click them. I am willing to endure the ads, which occasionally I click. If a click is profitable to the Forum, I will do it more often!

End result: more revenue.

Abbeydore

Veteran Member
Becareful, I know a chap who got bared by google for being silly, he got all his american followers to click, so they(google) ZAPPED him, he had earnt a fortune, he got greedy!

& you could do both donate & still see the adds, just tell Ivar & I'm sure he'll keep the adds just for you falcon :mrgreen:

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
falcon269 said:
I hate to make a profit on my friends, but I have discovered that my enemies won't do business with me.
If your supporters don't see the ads, they cannot click them. I am willing to endure the ads, which occasionally I click. If a click is profitable to the Forum, I will do it more often!

End result: more revenue.
I guess the idea is that if you have donated you have supported the forum, so the ads are not needed.

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
I donated to get rid of the ads (and of course to help Ivar out), but if this is a good revenue-producer, I wouldn't mind having them back, and would even click on them. So Ivar, you can put them back on mine if you want.

lynne

fraluchi

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
One every year since 2007
JohnnieWalker said:
[...] Ivar has had no other source of money to cover costs apart from this and occasional donations from users.[...]... there could be an annual subscription of say 5€.[...] I'd subscribe more than that for this valuable resource.
What do you think?
The resource is extremely valuable to anyone interested in planning a Camino to Santiago de Compostela: members' experiences are an essential ingredient for subjects to be timely and well documented; the database is exemplary.
It would not be misplaced to "suggest a donation" from new members to the Forum's caretaker. A yearly donation will probably be made gracefully by long standing members, who are eager to support Ivar, and therefore the Forum.

Hola

The reason I raised this is because I suspect Ivar is uncomfortable telling users that he has personally had to pay for the forum in addition to the amount of time he spends maintaining it. As we can see from his post he doesn't want to do anything more than invite a donativo in exchange for removing ads. I think that's very Ivar :)

I think all we can do is for regular users to raise this from time so that we all remember to make a contribution if we can.

John

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, Oct.( 2012), Pamplona to Santiago Compostela. Camino Finisterre, Oct. (2015)
Trusting Ivar, great resource, hate commercials...will donate!

soch

Camino(s) past & future
Camiño Portugués 2012
lynnejohn said:
I donated to get rid of the ads (and of course to help Ivar out), but if this is a good revenue-producer, I wouldn't mind having them back, and would even click on them. So Ivar, you can put them back on mine if you want.

lynne

I'm in complete agreement with Lynne's view above, and in similar position re donation. Put the ads back in Ivar by all means if this helps Fund the Forum.
soch

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for you willingness to support!

If it is all the same to you, I would rather have the ads removed for all donors... and then for those that would like to contribute more, maybe send me some coins every 6 months/year/.. ?

Having another list of people who donated, but still wants ads adds another layer of things to remember, and complicates things a bit :)

Thanks again!
Ivar

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I am glad the Ads have gone, but at some time we would willingly donate again. If the no Ads is permanent will we miss anything we would want to see?
(Note; We can see them if we want by not logging in)

We can see the donate button if we are not logged in so two questions for you Ivar:-
Can non-members, or those not logged in, donate?
If we donate without logging in do you know it is 'us'?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Tia Valeria said:
I am glad the Ads have gone, but at some time we would willingly donate again.
For all donors, after the first post there is a line of text that says:
"Thank you for your donation to the forum!" ..the word "donation" is now blue and a link to the donation page. All donors can click it if they are interested in donating again.
Tia Valeria said:
If the no Ads is permanent will we miss anything we would want to see?
No... not from me anyway, unless you are interested in general advertising that may show up. (This is all administered by google, I do not control this)

Tia Valeria said:
Can non-members, or those not logged in, donate?
Yes, they will see the link after the first post of each thread.
Tia Valeria said:
If we donate without logging in do you know it is 'us'?
When you donate, you give PayPal your e-mail... I search for you in the forum and find you if that is the e-mail address you have used in the forum.

Saludos,
Ivar

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
(This is all administered by google, I do not control this)
Google scans your cookies and chooses ads to fit places you have been! For example I use Sierra Trading Post, so I get ads from them on this Forum. I get ads for camino related sites in Spain because I visit the Forum and Spanish sites.

I would click the Sierra Trading Post ads and enter from the Forum. If my activity results in a sale, lots of ad revenue is generated. If I check out the tour offerings for the camino, then it generates a lot less ad revenue, but does generate a hit from an interested consumer.

You should be distressed that the internet collects all this information. You should be even more distressed by the information Facebook collects including every "like" you hit!

fraluchi

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
One every year since 2007
falcon269 said:
You should be distressed that the internet collects all this information. You should be even more distressed by the information Facebook collects including every "like" you hit!
Maybe I am a strange internet bird :lol:
Never have seen or received any advertising on this Forum. On a daily basis I eliminate all cookies, use PC Cleaner Pro and wipe out all the garbage that floats into the computer. This is particularly important to protect information concerning on-line banking. :evil:
Facebook? I don't need more stress than my simple living at home :)

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
I've been wanting to make a small donation again ivar- but I imagine the donation button is still on your 'to do' list. I think this new forum set-up allows us to do far more things more readily- once we all get used to the changes. I know you have put a huge amount of work in, and I am very grateful.
Margaret

Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
I too am grateful for all your work Ivar and would like to make a donation. Am I waiting on a button or is there another way?

Cherie

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Primitivo September 2013
For all donors, after the first post there is a line of text that says:
"Thank you for your donation to the forum!" ..the word "donation" is now blue and a link to the donation page. All donors can click it if they are interested in donating again.

No... not from me anyway, unless you are interested in general advertising that may show up. (This is all administered by google, I do not control this)

Yes, they will see the link after the first post of each thread.

When you donate, you give PayPal your e-mail... I search for you in the forum and find you if that is the e-mail address you have used in the forum.

Saludos,
Ivar
Just so everyone knows, you don't have to use PayPal......for instance, I went there, saw the paypal option but realized I had it linked to another, older email that I don't use for this forum...............so just slide over to the option to pay with a CC, and you can out your current email in,etc....................

As someone who likes/needs to be reminded so that I can decide whether to keep on giving, I'm wondering if there is any way we could get an automatic reminder that our last donation was a year ago (or some other timeframe). I'm not sure when I last donated, and I definitely want to keep on donating so that the forum continues.

Thanks Ivar, this forum is such a great place. Laurie

K

karenfromcali

I am a new member and have gained such valuable information from this forum. I have no issue with a yearly donation/subscription. Most people won't mind if it's not a big amount. Perhaps you could do a tiered system that if you give over such an amount you get a forum badge etc. Or would that be extra work for you Ivar? Thank you for all you do.

K

karenfromcali

I also don't mind clicking on ads if it helps generate income. They may even be useful to us newbies who may be looking for gear etc.

piogaw

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances (05/06 2012) sjpdp-sdc; vdlp/camino sanabrea (02/03 2013) sevilla-sdc; hospitalero sdc june 2013, august-september 2013; caminho portugues (03 2014) lisboa-sdc
Thanks john for pointing out the tremendous expenses incurred for setting up the website. I have a chat with ivar in his office a few days ago and, i have suggested he should actively provide more info in donating money for his website, maybe a regular direct debit mandate every month. I have also asked him to give us an indication as to what is considered to be a normal donation. Some of us might think our donations are too little.

But we all know ivar is a very humble guy, he feels uncomfortable in actively seeking donations. So let us all do we can and give what we can for this noble cause.

Ivar, i hope you don't mind me mentioning this.

Good to see you again. God bless.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you all!

I don't feel comfortable pushing the donations too much... although I do appreciate them a lot! I spend a lot of hours every day keeping this forum up and running. I will think about how I can organize this better in the future.

Thanks all!

KentuckyJay

Camino(s) past & future
Hiked Leon to Santiago in May, 2014.
Hiked Porto to Santiago in May, 2016.
As everyone knows Ivar has been asking for donations and I hope he has had a good response.

Since the Forum started Ivar has met every cent of expenditure himself albeit this has been mitigated a little by the paltry sums that he get for advertising. Ivar has had no other source of money to cover costs apart from this and occasional donations from users.

As well as responding to the current appeal which will give a one time injection of cash I've been wondering if Ivar ought not to look at a system of more regular subscriptions. For example if after a new user has been here for say, a month or three months or whatever to continue there could be an annual subscription of say 5€. Of course others may feel this wouldn't work and Ivar might not want to do impose but I'd subscribe more than that for this valuable resource.

What do you think?

John
How does one donate?

Camino(s) past & future
C/F: 2013, 2014
C/M: 2016
C/P: 2015, 2017
C/I: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2018
Hey YOU! Out there - you know who you are. Ante up and help Ivar run this thing. He is always there for anyone who needs a helping hand, and to my knowledge has NEVER failed to offer assistance when indicated. Pass on that vente expresso drink at your local Starbucks and donate the money to Ivar instead.

Cough it up! Pretty please?

I think it's a good idea for the old forum regulars to bring up this post every now and then, because many of the new members won't even know there's a financial cost to Ivar for running this forum unless we tell them.

What I was wondering though was whether my "ad free" experience on the forum will end after a certain period of time. That would be an easy way to remind us to continue to contribute to the forum. So, Ivar, I hope you will figure out a way to send contributors "friendly reminders" like my dentist does -- I find it a lot more enjoyable to donate to the forum than to go to the dentist anyway. Buen camino, Laurie

indyinmaine

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - SJPdP to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2013
I'm a new member. It has taken me 38 years, since I had what I called a "life" attack, to finally get to walk the Camino. In the one month since I signed up I've already saved 40 euros on a shared taxi ride. Members of this forum shouldn't ever think of them as "donations", ads or not. They should think of responding in kind for the savings they have reaped be it Euros, lack of blisters, or even just peace of mind.

Indyinmaine

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a good idea for the old forum regulars to bring up this post every now and then, because many of the new members won't even know there's a financial cost to Ivar for running this forum unless we tell them.

What I was wondering though was whether my "ad free" experience on the forum will end after a certain period of time. That would be an easy way to remind us to continue to contribute to the forum. So, Ivar, I hope you will figure out a way to send contributors "friendly reminders" like my dentist does -- I find it a lot more enjoyable to donate to the forum than to go to the dentist anyway. Buen camino, Laurie
Hmm... keeping track of when a specific user donated and then reminding him/her would not be easy since I would have to do it manually... and that would be quite a lot of work.

But here is an idea... I could send out an e-mail to those that have donated with a reminder every 6 months or so? That is easy since the forum can generate a list of e-mail addresses easily. Would this work?

By the way, I have added advertisement to the mobile apps today... I need it to pay for the costs I have related to them. Donors have no ads on the website or in the mobile apps. I know a lot of you don't mind the ads, but I feel like I want to give people who offer their hard earn €'s to get a premium experience. At the end of the day, the ads are a bit in the way... and if you donate you deserve a better experience. At least that is how I see it. :)

Thank you to all of you that have donated!
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
I agree with Laurie about this, provided it's not the unhelpful 'HEY YOU' approach that we were subjected to earlier. I found that a deterrent, not an incentive.
Regards

lynnejohn

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2005), VDLP(2007), Madrid(2009), Ingles(2009), Sur (2011), VDLP(2011)-partial, VDLP(2014)
A reminder that is not labor/cost intensive to you, Ivar, would be welcome. I would be more than happy to donate annually.

Camino(s) past & future
VDLP to Finisterre 2009
Le Puy to SJPDP 2013
Frances 2014
Ivan, I agree with all the others and appreciate your 'priceless gift' given to all. I was happy to donate today and apologise for not doing so earlier. This forum is an amazing tool and I thank you and those who continually give their time contributing. Cheers

Hi, Ivar,
I certainly hope you can find an EASY way to remind us about contributing. I am not trying to make life more difficult for you. I think that an annual or semi-annual reminder to those who have already contributed is a good idea, but I also think that a periodic post in the forum would be helpful to alert newcomers to the situation. As we've seen on this thread after my most recent question, a lot of people just aren't aware of the cost to you or of the possibility of contributing, and are happy to contribute when someone gives them the opportunity.

Thanks again for all you do. Laurie

P

Pattii

What do you think?

John
I think its reasonable and actually a good idea.

indyinmaine

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - SJPdP to Santiago - Sept/Oct 2013
I'm a new member. It has taken me 38 years, since I had what I called a "life" attack, to finally get to walk the Camino. In the one month since I signed up I've already saved 40 euros on a shared taxi ride. Members of this forum shouldn't ever think of them as "donations", ads or not. They should think of responding in kind for the savings they have reaped be it Euros, lack of blisters, or even just peace of mind.

Indyinmaine
I'm now well over 100 euros! Time to donate again!

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for all your feedback on this.

I have now had another look at how donations can be done, and I think I have found a way that will work better. This new forum software actually had this built in, and I did not even know it... I have set up a few levels of donation here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades
..each one with some benefits, and each one will expire after x months. The forum software takes care of "Who donated when", so the donation time will expire automatically without my intervention.

The people who have already donated to the forum the old way will get the "No Ads" benefit until the end of march 2014, then they will start to see ads again.

Please let me know if you have any feedback/concerns/...

Have a good weekend!
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean 2017.
I think the best is if a donation give you "no ads" in the forum forever. This way, the new pilgrims that join us each season will be the ones that keep the donations/income flowing.

Subscription is not ideal (in my opinion) since it puts too much cost on one member.... right now we have 3 levels:
1) Visitor that has not registered => See quite a bit of ads + do not have access to the "Pilgrim Introduction" section
2) Registered member that has logged in => See some ads, but less than 1)
3) Registered member that has logged in + that also has donated => See no ads

I think this works for now.

Saludos,
Ivar
Thanks Ivar for this advice. I am one of those in category 3; but I do not remember seeing ads before I donated. On the question of donations - as I am not really aware of your operating costs I don't think I can recommend a policy. I will be attempting to donate something similar to the amount I donated a few months back. A registration fee (once only) of (say) E5 might work but not overly fussed one way or the other. Keep up the good work. Cheers

MichaelB10398

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago de Compostela, Lourdes to SdC, SJPP to SdC
I tried to donate one time and it was an unfruitful experience for both of us. If that system does not work well, almost perfectly (it has been several months), donations will not be as high as they could be. Nothing is as frustrating is to try and give money to someone and the computer keeps telling you that you are wrong.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I tried to donate one time and it was an unfruitful experience for both of us. If that system does not work well, almost perfectly (it has been several months), donations will not be as high as they could be. Nothing is as frustrating is to try and give money to someone and the computer keeps telling you that you are wrong.
Hmm... sorry about that... I use PayPal, not sure if it was payPal that was giving you problems... My problem is that there are not really that many alternatives to PayPal, so i am stuck with them... Will keep my eye open for new and better ways of doing it.

Thanks all!
Ivar

wawpdx

Any advice on how to donate if someone does not use PayPal?

The initial screen gives me a choice of language but the minute I select the country I actually live in, all of the sign-up info reverts to the language here and there are no other language options. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable enough with my language knowledge to be setting this up or using it in another language. My credit card bill comes here so I'm pretty sure I have to put in the country that matches my billing address. I have been through this attempt before so I have given up on PayPal as an option for me. It didn't appear that there was any other option except PP. Suggestions?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Any advice on how to donate if someone does not use PayPal?

The initial screen gives me a choice of language but the minute I select the country I actually live in, all of the sign-up info reverts to the language here and there are no other language options. Unfortunately, I don't feel comfortable enough with my language knowledge to be setting this up or using it in another language. My credit card bill comes here so I'm pretty sure I have to put in the country that matches my billing address. I have been through this attempt before so I have given up on PayPal as an option for me. It didn't appear that there was any other option except PP. Suggestions?
Does this happen if you click the "Don't have a PayPal Account" link as well?
Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 10.26.51 PM.png
... there is not really that many alternatives to payPal out there for me to use.. if anyone has a better suggestion, I am "all ears" :)

Thanks!
Ivar

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2014
This is great Ivar, I was the same as Laurie and was unsure of when and how often I have donated. The new software is working out really well.
Thanks again for all you do
Alex

wawpdx

wawpdx said
Ivar said
Does this happen if you click the "Don't have a PayPal Account" link as well?
Yes. When I enter Poland as my country, all of the text is in Polish and there is no "other language" option. I played around with just entering an English speaking country but then the billing address section does not include a place for the country or a format that is appropriate.

Thank you for all your feedback on this.

I have now had another look at how donations can be done, and I think I have found a way that will work better. This new forum software actually had this built in, and I did not even know it... I have set up a few levels of donation here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades
..each one with some benefits, and each one will expire after x months. The forum software takes care of "Who donated when", so the donation time will expire automatically without my intervention.

The people who have already donated to the forum the old way will get the "No Ads" benefit until the end of march 2014, then they will start to see ads again.

Please let me know if you have any feedback/concerns/...

Have a good weekend!
Ivar

Hi, Ivar, I had it in my mind that I was going to get an automatic reminder that it was time to give again. But searching through the forum, I think I've found out why I haven't gotten a reminder. Does this post mean that anyone who gave a donation before the date of this post will not get a reminder? If so, I assume that when I make my next donation, I will be in the "new system" with an automatic reminder. Is that right?

In any event, since we're heading into US Thanksgiving, what better way to show our gratitude to Ivar than giving to the forum to ease his financial burden?

Buen camino, Laurie

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Ivar, I had it in my mind that I was going to get an automatic reminder that it was time to give again. But searching through the forum, I think I've found out why I haven't gotten a reminder. Does this post mean that anyone who gave a donation before the date of this post will not get a reminder? If so, I assume that when I make my next donation, I will be in the "new system" with an automatic reminder. Is that right?

In any event, since we're heading into US Thanksgiving, what better way to show our gratitude to Ivar than giving to the forum to ease his financial burden?

Buen camino, Laurie
Hi there,

So right now we have two types of donors.. the ones that gave before the "new system" (the new forum) and people that gave after. The "Donating member" tag under usernames shows up right now for anyone who has donated any time.

I have decided to let donations made before september 14th 2013 "expire" the last day of april 2014. So May 1st 2014 members who donated before sept 14th 2013 will see that their "Donating member" tag will go away and they will start seeing ads again. There will not be an e-mail reminder, but the fact that the tag goes away (I hope this is enough since I am not sure how to remind people by e-mail). At that time, it would be optional to make another donation, but then using the new system here:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades/
... and as you can see, these donations also expire after some time. Same thing happens when these expires, no e-mail.. but you will start to see advertising in the forum + your "Donating member" tag will be gone.

I hope I explain myself well. I really do want to stress that donating is optional. But it is appreciated.

Greetings from a cold, but sunny Santiago,
Ivar

brawblether

Camino(s) past & future
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
Wow, not sure I'm a fan of the "Donating Member" tag. I can see that there would be benefits to it but I feel it comes across more as "name and shame" than prompting people to donate for the right reasons.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
I think its more a case of "name and acknowledge". Many people didn't even know about donating to the forum, I for one didn't for a while untill I started exploring the forum outside the CF section.

Camino(s) past & future
April (2014) starting in Roncesvalles

What do you think?

John
Hi there,

So right now we have two types of donors.. the ones that gave before the "new system" (the new forum) and people that gave after. The "Donating member" tag under usernames shows up right now for anyone who has donated any time.

I have decided to let donations made before september 14th 2013 "expire" the last day of april 2014. So May 1st 2014 members who donated before sept 14th 2013 will see that their "Donating member" tag will go away and they will start seeing ads again. There will not be an e-mail reminder, but the fact that the tag goes away (I hope this is enough since I am not sure how to remind people by e-mail). At that time, it would be optional to make another donation, but then using the new system here:
... and as you can see, these donations also expire after some time. Same thing happens when these expires, no e-mail.. but you will start to see advertising in the forum + your "Donating member" tag will be gone.

I hope I explain myself well. I really do want to stress that donating is optional. But it is appreciated.

Ivar
I am not sure about an annual subscription, we might lose some folk who have a lot to offer but very little money. However I do think that the Donations button, which disappeared along with the Ads could re-appear, maybe between Camino Calendar and Ivar's name and CC logo. Also that Ivar could update occasionally with his needs. Either that or when funds run short he could put all the Ads back on donors pages with a post explaining why :)

Maybe a 'one off' 5 euro joining fee would keep spammers at bay?
or 10 euros fee with the badge included? (I wonder if only members should be able to buy the badge? although it may be an important source of income for the forum so making it members only could be a bad move)
Would more then need putting behind the members log-in?

Raises a number of interesting and thought provoking questions. Meanwhile we too hope folk are being generous and donating. Every little helps and Ivar deserves our support
I'm happy to donate as I find this Forum invaluable, but I hate the ads.. and even though I have donated they still appear on my iphone app. How do I get them to disappear? I don't know where else on this Forum to ask this question, because, with Safari (and Google Chrome) at home, I can't seem to contribute. I'm doing this at work using Internet Explorer.
I leave in 3 days for Barcelona, then to Pamplona and then to Roncesvalles hopefully..

Camino(s) past & future
April/May 2014
Hi there,

Ivar
I received a message at the top of every page to say that my donation will expire soon. This was really handy and instantly reminded me to donate again.
Thanks so very much Ivar
Cheers
Alex - only 3 weeks until departure :D

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I'm happy to donate as I find this Forum invaluable, but I hate the ads.. and even though I have donated they still appear on my iphone app. How do I get them to disappear? I don't know where else on this Forum to ask this question, because, with Safari (and Google Chrome) at home, I can't seem to contribute. I'm doing this at work using Internet Explorer.
I leave in 3 days for Barcelona, then to Pamplona and then to Roncesvalles hopefully..
It sounds like you have not logged in to the forum on the app. If you log in, you can contribute and the ads will go away (since you have donated).

To log in with your forum username and password in the app, do the following (these instructions are for the iPhone/iPad app):

1) Open the app
2) Click the 3 horizontal lines icon (top left)
3) Click "Log in"
4) Type in your username and your password (from the forum)
5) Now you are in...

..if you have donated the ads will go away and you can now respond and participate in the forum using the app.

Thanks for your donation!

Let me know if you have questions!
Ivar

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I have now set up a new way for accepting Forum Donations. It does not require PayPal, it only asks for your address, name and credit/debit card number.

It is available over at the Camino Store, and I will apply your donation privileged manually (might take a few hours after your donation).

The new donation page is over here:
http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/products/camino-forum-donation

Thanks in advance!
Ivar

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.5%