• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The "Full English"*

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
I'm pondering on walking the Ingles in May this year and I know some of you have done the whole of the "Y" in one camino so . . .

I was thinking of flying into SdC, transport up to Coruna and walking down to the meeting point (Hospital de Bruma?) then catching a bus back up to Ferrol and starting again for the walk down to SdC.

Or would it be better to start at Ferrol, walk to Bruma then upto Coruna then SdC?

Any views?

* For the non-Brits amongst us a "Full English" is our version of a plato combinado for breakfast (also known as a Ulster Fry or a "heart attack on a plate" in other quarters)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pilgrims of yore were very goal oriented, so I would guess that a "Y" never entered their mind. Either you walked from A Coruna or Ferrol. I have done the Ferrol route twice without using the bridge shortcut, and it is a very nice camino with some interesting towns. I would suggest a bus to Ferrol, then start walking. I think that an A Coruna start may now qualify for a compostela, but I do not know if that is now official. Leaving Ferrol even using the shortcut is more than 100km, so qualifies for a compostela.

Or would it be better to start at Ferrol, walk to Bruma then upto Coruna then SdC?
From a purely logistical point of view there is a direct bus from Meson do Vento (nearest town to Bruma) back to Coruna. To return to Ferrol you would need to catch the same bus then transit at Coruna bus station to get to Ferrol. There are also a few trains a day from Coruna to Ferrol, with the rail station being relatively close to the Coruna bus station for transit.

I have walked both arms of the Y on several occasions, although not both in a single walk and they are both beautiful in their own way. A Coruna is a lovely city and it is worthwhile spending a day there if you have time in your schedule.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've done this and it is very simple. It doesn't really matter whether you start in Ferrol or Coruña - there are regular bus services from Meson do Vento (beside Bruma). I very much like Coruña which is well worth a visit particularly if you like seafood!

'Johnnie, do you know which bus company has the Bruma - Coruna and Bruma - Ferrol routes?

Also, do you know if route and scheduling information is available online?

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
* For the non-Brits amongst us a "Full English" is our version of a plato combinado for breakfast (also known as a Ulster Fry or a "heart attack on a plate" in other quarters)

Jeff, sometimes when presented with the "standard" Spanish breakfast of "carbs and coffee" I long for a Full English breakfast. All that protein on one plate! Especially since I can't have any wheat! Sounds so good. :rolleyes:

[Q:DUOTE="Jeff Crawley, post: 488836, member: 41083"]I'm pondering on walking the Ingles in May this year and I know some of you have done the whole of the "Y" in one camino so . . .

I was thinking of flying into SdC, transport up to Coruna and walking down to the meeting point (Hospital de Bruma?) then catching a bus back up to Ferrol and starting again for the walk down to SdC.

Any views?

* For the non-Brits amongst us a "Full English" is our version of a plato combinado for breakfast (also known as a Ulster Fry or a "heart attack on a plate" in other quarters)[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, I only know of the British movie "The Full Monty" and it wasn't anything about breakfast! :D
However, I'm from the USA.

[Q:DUOTE="Jeff Crawley, post: 488836, member: 41083"]I'm pondering on walking the Ingles in May this year and I know some of you have done the whole of the "Y" in one camino so . . .

Any views?

Hmmm, I only know of the British movie "The Full Monty" and it wasn't anything about breakfast! :D
However, I'm from the USA.[/QUOTE]

upload_2017-3-4_21-33-1.jpeg

It looks like this, sometimes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've done this and it is very simple. It doesn't really matter whether you start in Ferrol or Coruña - there are regular bus services from Meson do Vento (beside Bruma). I very much like Coruña which is well worth a visit particularly if you like seafood!

Please don't mention A Coruna and seafood to me in the same breath - last year I arrived late into A Coruna, and tried the local shellfish and some lamb before bed. I spent 2am to around 6.30am evacuating said dinner, and then catching the 7am train from A Coruna to Ferrol. I walked most of the day with a handful of paper towels in the pockets just in case!

Next time I will be more careful about where to try the seafood, but I didn't let it put me off, and after a few days on the bland stuff was back on the octopus and various other seafood, and there is one place in Santiago which has a nice squid ink paella, though I'm not sure how authentic it is!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back