• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Garden of Happy Endings

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago 2012-13; +++; Somport-Burgos 2023
I just finished reading the novel, The Garden of Happy Endings, by Barbara O’Neal. The story’s main female character is a former Catholic, now Reverend in a Unity church, who had walked the camino 20 years before with her fiancé. The fiancé ended their betrothal on arrival at the Cathedral, when he announced he had been called to become a priest. Because of an evil event affecting her church, she is now facing a crisis of faith and returns to her hometown, where the former fiancé is now the priest and is her friend.

It’s a pleasant enough read. The story has love, goodness and evil, angels, and search for redemption and for faith. The references to the camino are frequent and folks may find it a good read.

There is just enough detail about the camino to make me think the author may have walked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just finished reading the novel, The Garden of Happy Endings, by Barbara O’Neal. The story’s main female character is a former Catholic, now Reverend in a Unity church, who had walked the camino 20 years before with her fiancé. The fiancé ended their betrothal on arrival at the Cathedral, when he announced he had been called to become a priest. Because of an evil event affecting her church, she is now facing a crisis of faith and returns to her hometown, where the former fiancé is now the priest and is her friend.

It’s a pleasant enough read. The story has love, goodness and evil, angels, and search for redemption and for faith. The references to the camino are frequent and folks may find it a good read.

There is just enough detail about the camino to make me think the author may have walked.
We have a Camino book club (Book Club 3.1 thread) on the Forum, and the selections for the next several books will be fiction (as opposed to memoirs). You are welcome to post a recommendation on that thread with your review, and we may select it for a future read. Fiction books about the Camino are a more limited, so we would welcome your recommendation. Bob

I suspect many of us have read the "Walk, Eat, Sleep, and Blisters" memoirs, there are many out there. Some are pretty good, some not so much. Happily, I have been finding a number of Camino related novels of late. Here is a list of three of the novels that center around the Camino. 1) 'Merchant's List' by A.N. Caird. Actually I have not read this one yet but I will soon. 2) 'The Way, Through a Field of Stars' by Brian John Skillen. This is the first of a series of three (the other two are not out yet). I would call this book a work of historical fantasy that I very much enjoyed. 3) 'Revenge on the Camino' by Ken Privratsky. This too is the first of a series of three, and the other two are not out yet. This is a modern who dun it that was also a good read. 2 & 3 are both written by authors who have walked the Camino. If you are looking for books like this, like I was, there seem to be a growing number -- yeah!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Stevelm1, Merchant’s List is the current Camino Book Club 3.1 selection. Would love to have you post a review on that thread. And thank you for the other fiction books. We’ll consider them for the BC3.1. Bob

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
*Barbara is a dear friend of mine"

When you next see her, could you ask her if an editor or the publisher pulled her to one side before publication and said,

"Listen Babs. 'Bout the title of your new book ....."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Barbara is a dear friend of mine and yes, did a short Camino in 2010.
Congratulations, and best wishes for her writing success.

(Schoolboy snigger) a book is called that? Really?
Sorry. I don't get what's so funny?
I don't relate to immature male humor I guess.
(No need to explain. TMI.)

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back