• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The "German Guide"...where does one find it

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
I live on the other side of the pond, but as a child lived in Germany for five years...
I keep hearing reference to this "German Guide", I'm willing to pay shipping etc... so where is one to find this guide? An idea of author/publisher etc... a few hints might help me sniff it out.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Raimund´s working on an English edition, but wants to find a publisher first before he goes too far with it. His really is the very best trail guide out there -- probably because it is so faultlessly German!
Anyone want to go into the publishing biz?

The only problem with the Conrad Stein guide is it gives the route via Gijon but not Oviedo and virtually all the German reading people i met with that guide would not consider doing anything that was not in it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The red and yellow German guides found with the links above, it should be noted, apparently cover only the Camino Francés and (for the red) Camino Aragonés. I understand there are German guides for the northern and other caminos, but I have not managed to find them yet.

I bought the Rother guide (english translation) to the Camino Frances from UK Amazon the other day. It seems pretty good, although I wonder if the suggested stages match the Brierly guide. I guess I'll find out when I get stuck in a peregrino traffic jam. Having a collection of old Baedekers, I like he precision and attention to detail of German guide books.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The red and yellow German guides found with the links above, it should be noted, apparently cover only the Camino Francés and (for the red) Camino Aragonés. I understand there are German guides for the northern and other caminos, but I have not managed to find them yet.
Orafo we just might be neighbors :)
I noticed that too and what I just did was go to the amazon link and where it shows the author i pressed the name to give me a buffet of their books and figured out what I wanted from there.
I could not translate the german in the order form well so I can only assume I ordered ONE and that indeed it will come to my house:)
The OUTDOOR book gave me notice that it would not ship and wonder if it was due to the sender not shipping abroad, anyway ended up ordering red book and a purple folded map and hoping for the best.
I also have dave's book.

I live on the other side of the pond, but as a child lived in Germany for five years...
I keep hearing reference to this "German Guide", I'm willing to pay shipping etc... so where is one to find this guide? An idea of author/publisher etc... a few hints might help me sniff it out.

Thanks in advance,
Hi shefollowsshells.
I hope this is the guides you are looking for
https://www.rother.de/index_k_wf.htm Find "Jacobsweg - camino del norte"
http://www.cicerone.co.uk/search/?keyword=northern+caminos&submit.x=0&submit.y=0
Buen camino
Best regards
Trond

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I found the guide of Raimond Joos ( the outdoor guide) useful but sometimes too complicated. Sometimes he gives up to 4 alternative routes and not always in a clear way. He gets lost in details sometimes. In one situation for instance he advices to go left of a church instead of following the arrows that pass the church at the right. In the end the difference is 20 meter at the max.
I used the digital version that should be available I think in other countries

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.