• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino The Glorious Coastal Path

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just looked at the photos on the blog - Your Photos Are Amazing And Illustrate The Beauty of Porto so Well

Nice song by Bill - Lovely Day Indeed !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What a very special post and blog💜 I walked out of Porto Sept. 29, 2019!Your music selection made the memories even sweeter! Muchas Gracias! Dee

They are indeed lovely photos on your blog. I have been trying to convince the metro riders out of Porto to Matosinhos, skipping this senda litoral section to rethink their decisions, for what seems like forever! Maybe it is finally catching on!

Attachments

• 10-Ponte-da-Arrabida.jpg
    10-Ponte-da-Arrabida.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 15-angel-on-the-Rua-de-Sobreiras.jpg
    15-angel-on-the-Rua-de-Sobreiras.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 11-Reflections-Ponte-da-Arrabida.jpg
    11-Reflections-Ponte-da-Arrabida.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 16-open-plaza-Rua-do-Passeio-Alegre.jpg
    16-open-plaza-Rua-do-Passeio-Alegre.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 31
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked this route with friends in 2017. My husband has wanted to walk it since... but slowly. So we're meandering our way to Santiago.

View attachment 110097

View attachment 110096

View attachment 110098

There are a few more photos in my blog https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/09/29/how-was-your-day/
Your photos complement your text so well. Don't you love the pointy peaks on Bill Withers' shirt! I hope the toes are doing well. What a great idea, right and left foot socks...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
They are indeed lovely photos on your blog. I have been trying to convince the metro riders out of Porto to Matosinhos, skipping this senda litoral section to rethink their decisions, for what seems like forever! Maybe it is finally catching on!
I walked to Matosinhos in 2019 and loved it! Elle, your blog helped me make my decisiin to do it.

I walked this route with friends in 2017. My husband has wanted to walk it since... but slowly. So we're meandering our way to Santiago.

View attachment 110097

View attachment 110096

View attachment 110098

There are a few more photos in my blog https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/09/29/how-was-your-day/
Just curious. If you are meandering, can you find places to stay? We're slow walkers and we're concerned about lodging on the coastal route. Any info would be helpful.

As always, I enjoy reading your blog entries and looking at your splendid photos, Colleen. It would seem that once again you find yourself in a beautiful place to be walking. Enjoy every minute!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just curious. If you are meandering, can you find places to stay? We're slow walkers and we're concerned about lodging on the coastal route. Any info would be helpful.

We're staying in small hotels and I did book them all in advance. We have limited time so I planned it to keep days around 20km when possible. Booking our beds means we don't have to rush... and we didn't take towels or sleeping bags either. So far it seems pretty relaxed... which is just what my husband wanted.

I used booking.com for almost all the rooms... and Gronze and the Wise Pilgrim app to check distances.

I'll send you my plan when I'm home if you'd like.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much for your interesting account of your first day! I will follow your blog with pleasure as this is how I would like to walk this Camino. I have been dreaming ( and planning) walking my first Camino for so long. Next year I hope. NZ is still not open to international travel unless one spends 2 weeks in Quarantine on return home. Fingers crossed next year will be more free.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're staying in small hotels and I did book them all in advance. We have limited time so I planned it to keep days around 20km when possible. Booking our beds means we don't have to rush... and we didn't take towels or sleeping bags either. So far it seems pretty relaxed... which is just what my husband wanted.

I used booking.com for almost all the rooms... and Gronze and the Wise Pilgrim app to check distances.

Thanks.

I agree! I don't understand the advice to bus to Matosinhos, when the walk along the river is so lovely.

Could you post it here for all of us?
I'm hoping to walk from Lisbon next Spring, but don't know yet if I will cut over to the Central route or take the Coastal. I'll probably decide when I get to Porto.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We had calm seas today and more blue skies. The trail has changed a little from when I walked in 2017 and we also decided to take a variant suggested in the Wise Pilgrim app and headed to Apulia beach... it was another glorious day. Sadly rain is forecast for tomorrow but... that's another day.

More photos as usual in my blog https://thenwewalked.blog/2021/10/01/big-sky/

16331075371166.jpg16331075371447.jpg16331075372501.jpg16331075373224.jpg16331075376235.jpg16331075377911.jpg

I agree! I don't understand the advice to bus to Matosinhos, when the walk along the river is so lovely.

Could you post it here for all of us?
I'm hoping to walk from Lisbon next Spring, but don't know yet if I will cut over to the Central route or take the Coastal. I'll probably decide when I get to Porto.
I will make notes and create a post at the end with all the stops we've taken... and any options we also see. 🙂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 110097

View attachment 110096

View attachment 110098

Fab pics. Wonderful narration. Enjoyed reading. Felt transported back to Portugal. Love that country. So much to see. And I could feel the atmosphere and the sense of lingering after a meal. Been there, done that. Easy to do in the meds

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there everyone,
I am a newbie here, I am hoping to walk Camino Portuges starting the 24th of this month. I will be in La Alberca till 22nd.

1) Is there a way to get on to the Portuges camino from La Alberca in Salamanca, Spain?
2) Should I just try to get a ride or bus to Porto and start from there?

I hope the weather will be nice enough the later part of this month and early November.

My blog is a little behind... sadly we both suffered from a mild bout of food poisoning and whilst we've managed to keep walking it's been slow and we've been pretty exhausted... it only lasted a couple of days but I've decided to write up the remaining blogs when I get home... there's not enough time for me to catch up now. It's my husbands birthday today and we're in Combarro on the variente... tackling the big hill tomorrow 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mos to Arcade. When I first walked this route in 2017 my husband decided he wanted to walk it too because he loves the sea and he loves seafood... and Arcade is famous for oysters. Last night he had a plate of oysters, followed by crab washed down with a glass or two of Albarino white wine... he was a happy chap.

16337927509076.jpg16337927510742.jpg16337927511977.jpg16337927512539.jpg16337927513021.jpg16337927509568.jpg

I don't know how I missed your thread till this morning! Wonderful to follow your journey @LesBrass . Gosh! Incredibly gorgeous photos! They are bringing back such wonderful memories of this camino. Thank you. And ahead... one of my favourite stages of any camino, the Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua.

I don't know how I missed your thread till this morning! Wonderful to follow your journey @LesBrass . Gosh! Incredibly gorgeous photos! They are bringing back such wonderful memories of this camino. Thank you. And ahead... one of my favourite stages of any camino, the Ruta de la Piedra y del Agua.
I'm very much looking forward to the next few days... I've not walked the variente before 🙂

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mos to Arcade. When I first walked this route in 2017 my husband decided he wanted to walk it too because he loves the sea and he loves seafood... and Arcade is famous for oysters. Last night he had a plate of oysters, followed by crab washed down with a glass or two of Albarino white wine... he was a happy chap.

View attachment 110772View attachment 110773View attachment 110774View attachment 110775View attachment 110776View attachment 110777
Glad you're over your tummy trouble, so lovely to have your fantastic photos back. Take care.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Arcade to Combarro

Today was my husbands birthday... we walked to Pontevedra where we turned left for the variente. and we had a table right beside the sea in Combarro... in the most popular and highly rated restaurant in town... he was a happy chap!

16338105216175.jpg16338105214893.jpg16338105217618.jpg16338105212159.jpg16338105221316.jpg16338105223451.jpg16338105230858.jpg16338105233023.jpg16338105233755.jpg

Combarro to Armenteira

I started my journey earlier in September taking a small group from St Jean to Burgos... then I travelled to Porto with my husband and we've walked along the coast until we were in sight Spain, dropping back to the Central route at Ponte de Lima and yesterday taking the variante to Combarro... I've walked close to 700km but yesterday I had to take a taxi for 9.3km and thus no longer qualify for my holy year Compostela. I'm so sad.

After his seafood supper yesterday my poor husband yet again suffered sickness and there was no way he could walk the 9.3km to Armenteira. I considered leaving him to take a taxi and walking on alone but he really was in no fit state and it would have been a bit mean of me to leave him when he felt so poorly.

Sadly we have no flexibility in our schedule... so we had to move on 😢

We took a taxi to Armenteira where tonight's hotel owner met us... I had a little while to visit the monastery whilst he sat in the shade. I bought him a little crucifix for his birthday... the nun squeezed my hand and told me it was unique 🙂

At least he was well today and we walked onwards... they do say its the journey and not the destination that matters... I keep telling myself that 😬16339796831247.jpg16339796832801.jpg16339796833062.jpg16339796833183.jpg16339796832109.jpg16339796832620.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Arcade to Combarro

Today was my husbands birthday... we walked to Pontevedra where we turned left for the variente. and we had a table right beside the sea in Combarro... in the most popular and highly rated restaurant in town... he was a happy chap!

View attachment 110930View attachment 110931View attachment 110932View attachment 110933View attachment 110934View attachment 110935View attachment 110936View attachment 110937View attachment 110938
I too, had a table in Combarro by the sea in 2019.
Your chap looks very happy indeed!

Sorry to hear about your hubby's illness, but sounds like you are both back on track, figuratively and literally.

All your photos are gorgeous and very artistically taken. You have a "good eye".🙂

Combarro to Armenteira

I started my journey earlier in September taking a small group from St Jean to Burgos... then I travelled to Porto with my husband and we've walked along the coast until we were in sight Spain, dropping back to the Central route at Ponte de Lima and yesterday taking the variante to Combarro... I've walked close to 700km but yesterday I had to take a taxi for 9.3km and thus no longer qualify for my holy year Compostela. I'm so sad.

After his seafood supper yesterday my poor husband yet again suffered sickness and there was no way he could walk the 9.3km to Armenteira. I considered leaving him to take a taxi and walking on alone but he really was in no fit state and it would have been a bit mean of me to leave him when he felt so poorly.

Sadly we have no flexibility in our schedule... so we had to move on 😢

We took a taxi to Armenteira where tonight's hotel owner met us... I had a little while to visit the monastery whilst he sat in the shade. I bought him a little crucifix for his birthday... the nun squeezed my hand and told me it was unique 🙂

At least he was well today and we walked onwards... they do say its the journey and not the destination that matters... I keep telling myself that 😬View attachment 110939View attachment 110940View attachment 110941View attachment 110942View attachment 110943View attachment 110944
Sorry that you will miss out on your compostela but glad that you are walking again.

Oooh, those look like zamburiñas. My new faavorite Galician seafood!!!! A notch or two above the normal vieiras (scallops) in my book!

I surely hope they were not the cause of your husband’s illness.

View attachment 110964

I love me some zamburinas, too. I remember a seafront restaurant in Muxia offers a pizza with zamburinas and seaweed! Of course I ordered one... the owner remarked it was rare for anyone non-Japanese to take that on!

So fun to see the bright seaside light in these photos, and the "happy chap" with his shellfish! Enjoy these days with your partner walking by your side, my friend. They are precious indeed.

We're flying home tomorrow... it seems so long ago I started in St Jean and even Porto feels a distant memory. We have loved our camino and look forward to more planning now. Thank you for the kind words.. stay well folks... buen camino until the next time 🙂

View attachment 111124View attachment 111125View attachment 111126View attachment 111127View attachment 111129View attachment 111130View attachment 111131View attachment 111132View attachment 111133

View attachment 111137
wishing you a safe trip home. thank you for your amazing photos and blog. very much looking forward to following in your footsteps in 10 days.

There are so many good restaurants in Getaria, BUT nobody is serving dinner before 8 pm as usual. Starting their wonderful-smelling BBQ grills outside yet refusing to serve anyone before 8 pm, by which time the pilgrims are in bed, is a cruel punushment. Someone SHOULD enact the law that refusing to serve pilgrims at any time is punushiable: e.g. such restaurant owners are required to carry impacted pilgrim's backpack minimum 10 miles.

Attachments

• 20211014_192222.jpg
    20211014_192222.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi LesBrass. It’s hard to sit here in my little corner of Melbourne and to look at your beautiful pictures. I did the CP with my wife in 2019, central. I was planning for the CF again (2nd time) for April 22 but your posts have almost convinced me to do the CP coastal instead. So now I’m divided.
See the damage you’ve done!?
I wish I was following your footsteps a day or two behind you both, rather than sitting here and writing this trite response to your wonderful posts.
Ugggh.

@LesBrass Thank you for sharing. I should have been following in your footsteps from last Tuesday but, due to OH medical problem, am now looking forward to starting next Wednesday. I hope I have weather as you did.

Hello there, you live in the lovely city of Melbourn? That was one of the cities I last visited before the COVID lockdown. Since then this is my first international trip. I did love your country so much. I loved visiting the Melbourn Zoo and seeing real live Tasmanian devels. They were rarher cute as long as they had mouth closed. I love eating and Melbourn was my kind ot town. You are so lucky! My salade just arrived! This is my current priority

Attachments

• 20211016_204036.jpg
    20211016_204036.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I really enjoyed yesterday, but also almost fell off the cliff and plunged into the sea making my self available for fish. It all happened because I was determined to see la Playa de Zagonate. I will post about it when possible. The main dish just arrived Hoorey!

Attachments

• 20211016_205908.jpg
    20211016_205908.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
Wow! Fabulous photos Coleen. Thank you so much for sharing. I am not on FB, and rarely look at blogs, so really appreciate you posting them here. What smart phone are you using, and at what resolution? Your photos are stunning! You have an incredibly good eye, amazing!

Wow! Fabulous photos Coleen. Thank you so much for sharing. I am not on FB, and rarely look at blogs, so really appreciate you posting them here. What smart phone are you using, and at what resolution? Your photos are stunning! You have an incredibly good eye, amazing!

Thank you! and sorry I've just seen this - I'm just using my phone to take photos. I have a Samsung Note 10+... I do edit them in snapseed (a free app) but I try not to do very much as it can look unnatural... but its good for cropping and straightening. I watch youtube videos on how to take more interesting photos and I read other travel blogs and love their photos and get ideas from that... and I just like the challenge of trying to capture the beauty that we see in front of us. :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.