• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Great Debate (Equipment) for Winter Camino

GeauxWalking

Time of past OR future Camino
The Great Debate for Winter Camino: I am walking from Pamplona on 23/2/2022, and I am struggling to find the right pack size. I have a 40L and 60L, weight difference is 2.16lb. I really want to carry the 40L but having a hard time making it work with the added bulky clothes for the winter. Question: Do I need a sleeping bag for this time of year? I have heard it is better to have one in the winter. Mine is light and compact but it still takes up more room than I would like to spare. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Great Debate for Winter Camino: I am walking from Pamplona on 23/2/2022, and I am struggling to find the right pack size. I have a 40L and 60L, weight difference is 2.16lb. I really want to carry the 40L but having a hard time making it work with the added bulky clothes for the winter. Question: Do I need a sleeping bag for this time of year? I have heard it is better to have one in the winter. Mine is light and compact but it still takes up more room than I would like to spare. Thanks!
GeauxWalking,
February can be very cold and in the past some albergues were not well heated or heated at all. Hence a sleeping bag was most welcome.
Heavy clothes are not necessary however but various layer combos are very useful.

Here are a kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in winter during happier times.
Happy planning!

Last edited:
GeauxWalking,
February can be very cold and in the past some albergues were not well heated or heated at all. Hence a sleeping bag was most welcome.
Heavy clothes are not necessary however but various layer combos are very useful.

Here are a kit list and tips
from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in winter during happier times.
Happy planning!
Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the added bulky clothes for the winter.
What added bulky clothes are you thinking of? Two thin layers are more versatile that one thick one. I travel prepared for 3 seasons, with a 31L pack. For February, maybe I would add a second pair of gloves (or maybe waterproof mitts), a wool hat, another pair of socks, an additional light weight top layer, and some gaiters.

Do I need a sleeping bag for this time of year? I have heard it is better to have one in the winter.
Assuming you are planning to stay in albergues at least part of the time, yes! Many albergues are unheated. I carry a lightweight sleeping bag (actually down quilt inside a liner) all year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What added bulky clothes are you thinking of? Two thin layers are more versatile that one thick one. I travel prepared for 3 seasons, with a 31L pack. For February, maybe I would add a second pair of gloves (or maybe waterproof mitts), a wool hat, another pair of socks, an additional light weight top layer, and some gaiters.

Assuming you are planning to stay in albergues at least part of the time, yes! Many albergues are unheated. I carry a lightweight sleeping bag (actually down quilt inside a liner) all year.
Bulky items like Patagonia Micro Puff Jacket, long johns, more wintery cloths items. I also have a Helly Hanson outerlayer rain jacket. Maybe I don't need all of these...

Yes, I am planning to stay in albergues. I may just need a compression bag.?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I take long johns and an outer layer rain jacket in spring and fall, anyway. My point is that not many extra "wintery clothes" are needed, provided that your whole set of clothes is well chosen for layering. That's why one needs to consider the whole list to know if you need one particular additional item or not.

You can wear many layers at once, but probably won't need to do so while you are walking. In fact, you want to be able to shed layers as the weather changes. You should always be sure to keep one full and adequate dry layer to use in the albergue in the evening. If you have particularly bad weather one day, you can always choose to take a rest day.

How heavy/bulky is the HH jacket? It can be quite light if you put layers underneath, so that is better than packing a bulky jacket.

I take long johns and an outer layer rain jacket in spring and fall, anyway. My point is that not many extra "wintery clothes" are needed, provided that your whole set of clothes is well chosen for layering. That's why one needs to consider the whole list to know if you need one particular additional item or not.

You can wear many layers at once, but probably won't need to do so while you are walking. In fact, you want to be able to shed layers as the weather changes. You should always be sure to keep one full and adequate dry layer to use in the albergue in the evening. If you have particularly bad weather one day, you can always choose to take a rest day.

How heavy/bulky is the HH jacket? It can be quite light if you put layers underneath, so that is better than packing a bulky jacket.
Good advice. A couple of layers, a warm hat and waterproof shell clothing really should be adequate; reserving and double-bagging a comfortable complete change for the evening.

‘wear the same clothes and have dinner with different people’ gets me through my usual October to March Caminos.

Whilst I am an advocate of packing as light as possible and forgoing a sleeping bag when possible, you will definitely need one on the Camino during February and March. Mind you, if a all possible it should be one that weighs less than a kilo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation) into late fall. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 3
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Frogg Toggs
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

For the potential of February temperatures dipping into the 20's in the early mornings and at night at the higher elevations, I would add:
Mid-weight full zip fleece jacket
Wool Scarf
Insulated Hood

The additional weight would add about 17 more ounces. With my clothing, a 35F rated sleeping quilt, and the rest of my gear, it fits comfortably inside my Gossamer Gear Gorilla 40L backpack with plenty of room to spare.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts, and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt. If it is chilly out, my baselayer bottoms go underneath the shorts or I wear the pants, instead.

All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going, including up thru O Cebreiro and into Galicia.

Last edited:
I may just need a compression bag.?

You may need to edit items, but for sure you need compression bags. (plural) For your sleeping bag, yes, but also for anything that can be squished. Down vest or puffy jackets, fleece, wool knitted tops, socks, everything. I walked in shoulder season two times with a 24 liter pack, but there is no way I could have done it if I hadn’t compressed everything into bricks. 🤣

LOL...OK, I think I figured out my issue. I was packing EVERYTHING in my pack, including ALL of my clothes. oops forgot I would actually be wearing something! No wonder my 40L seemed small. When I took out what I would be wearing with 2nd outfit in the pack, things started to fit better. I also moved my sleeping bag to outside my backpack. I still need to decide on the HH Jacket. Its weight is I have a thing for jackets so may have to leave at least 1 behind. I adapted Ivar's packing list to ounces and pounds (US is metric dumb). Right now I am at 13.3lbs in pack. Few things to still wean down on but making progress. Appreciate the help!

Attachments

• Kelty 40L in oz & lbs.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 34
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe this will give you an idea of what will work during your time on Camino. Below is a list of my "closet" that I carry in my pack. Besides it being used during my Caminos, it is about the same as what I used to thru hike the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail (most of which sits above 9,000 feet / 2743 meters in elevation) into late fall. And for the thousands of other backpacking miles I have done.
  1. Pants -- REI, Classic Sahara Convertible, Zip-Off Legs
  2. Baselayer Top -- Smartwool, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1
  3. Baselayer Bottom - Smartwool, Lightweight
  4. Hat - wool beanie
  5. Windshell Jacket - Patagonia, Houdini
  6. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest
  7. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 3
  8. Extra insoles x 1
  9. Poncho --- Frogg Toggs
  10. Gloves -- North Face, polartec
The total weight is around 3.4 pounds.

For the potential of February temperatures dipping into the 20's in the early mornings and at night at the higher elevations, I would add:
Mid-weight full zip fleece jacket
Wool Scarf
Insulated Hood

The additional weight would add about 17 more ounces. With my clothing, a 35F rated sleeping quilt, and the rest of my gear, it fits comfortably inside my Gossamer Gear Gorilla 40L backpack with plenty of room to spare.

The clothing that I wear usually consists of running shorts, and a long sleeved synthetic and lightweight shirt. If it is chilly out, my baselayer bottoms go underneath the shorts or I wear the pants, instead.

All of the clothing can be used in various layering configurations to provide a comfort range from 25F to very hot. This is just an example of how a layering system can be flexible and cover a wide temperature range which is more than sufficient for the time of year you are going, including up thru O Cebreiro and into Galicia.
Thank you. Great information! I live in New Orleans, USA so I am not terribly equipped for cold weather. There are few items that I may have to learn to live without (i.e. face cream, make up, hairbrush). So far the Camino is teaching me to let go of so called things I think I need...and that is a wonderful thing. Thank you again!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also moved my sleeping bag to outside my backpack.

If you do that, make sure it is plastic-wrapped so it is waterproofed.

However, you are maybe still carrying too much.

My sleeping bag goes inside my (plastic-lined) 35 litre backpack on winter caminos.

I line my 36L Osprey pack with a sturdy, white trash compactor bag and everything except my evening/shower sandals goes inside. I do not use dry sacks, but instead use small mesh laundry bags. I can see everything and they compress as small as needed as all trapped air gets expelled. At night I roll up the top of the trash compactor bag and clip it, making my clothes a bedbug free zone and I spray my backpack with Permethrin before leaving home.
We all have our own personal little favorite things that have worked well individually for each of us...there is no right or wrong.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you. Great information! I live in New Orleans, USA so I am not terribly equipped for cold weather. There are few items that I may have to learn to live without (i.e. face cream, make up, hairbrush). So far the Camino is teaching me to let go of so called things I think I need...and that is a wonderful thing. Thank you again!
If you live in New Orleans you may have an unduly pessimistic view of how cold it would be in Spain in winter. When at high level (Foncebadon, O’Ceb and their environs) there could be snow on the ground in January/February. Otherwise it’ll probably not be what most would call ‘cold’. It will most probably be what many would call ‘wet’,

I love a challenge! Don't double dog dare:)...Here it is as of today...a work in progress. note: in oz and lbs.

I'm assuming that where there are no weight values that means those are not part of your camino gear.

I see some repetition, like having both a rain jacket and a poncho, and both a poncho and a rain cover. I am also wondering about the inclusion of a sleeping bag liner plus your sleeping bag.

Given you your present southern acclimatization, how 'tolerant' are you to cooler temperatures, as that will affect your cool weather clothing choices? For instance, temperatures at 48F are shirt sleeve weather for me, and at 75F I would be happier if it were cooler.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
LOL...OK, I think I figured out my issue. I was packing EVERYTHING in my pack, including ALL of my clothes. oops forgot I would actually be wearing something! No wonder my 40L seemed small. When I took out what I would be wearing with 2nd outfit in the pack, things started to fit better. I also moved my sleeping bag to outside my backpack. I still need to decide on the HH Jacket. Its weight is I have a thing for jackets so may have to leave at least 1 behind. I adapted Ivar's packing list to ounces and pounds (US is metric dumb). Right now I am at 13.3lbs in pack. Few things to still wean down on but making progress. Appreciate the help!
Tell me more about this sleeping bag that only weighs 8.8 ounces!

Tell me more about this sleeping bag that only weighs 8.8 ounces!
I think that I answered my own question by going to the product page - you are listing the weight of the fill, not the overall weight of the sleeping bag, which is 1 lb. 4 ounces.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked Jan-Feb 2017 and definitely needed a good sleeping bag. Some of the albergues had no heating. When I got to O Cebriero there was no electricity so no heating or lighting or hot water. Better to
be safe than sorry.

I Have a 42 l pack for winter caminos. And a siniliar list of items as mentioned above including a good sleeping bag. Plenty of space left in it for buying food every day!

@GeauxWalking

You look relatively young.
It might be worth remembering that, for some women, tolerance of the cold diminishes after a certain age. 😉

I used to wear a ME Lightline Goretex jacket (down filled) and a short sleeved tech t-shirt, with Rohan hot bags in the very coldest weather, in my 30s.
Now, I would probably suffer from hypothermia at a rest stop in those clothes.
(and I wouldn’t take an all-in-one jacket, either, or trousers.)

You do seem to be taking more jackets than you‘ll need.

And, as @jsalt says … no makeup 😉
If you really do miss it one day, you can go into a store in the larger towns and cities and smile sweetly at the staff on the cosmetic counters … they have been known to take pity on female pilgrims in the past!! 😉
(with a ‘make-over’.)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

My experience on the French way from St Jean, I ended up carrying a 60L and let go of a lot of weight along the way, and found myself wishing I’d had a 35 or 40L pack. That happened during the first 2 weeks. I started in mid March, and absolutely like other’s have said, found many albergue’s to be quite chilly at night! Then, when walking the Primitivo a year later in December/January, I carried a 30L pack that weighed almost 2lbs, & definitely carried a lightweight sleeping bag. It was a much better experience learning to go without, and walking with less. My feet & spirit thanked me. What do you absolutely need, and what is of most value to you while you’re on your way? I found myself sleeping in my jacket sometimes, and also in private albergues at other times due to some municipal albergues being closed. The heating was typically pretty good in the private places, and some have extra blankets you can put over your sleeping bag if it gets really cold. Which I did several times:)
I’m so excited for you! And, I wish you a Buen Camino!

Merino wool layers! Very, very light weight, dry quickly, & easy to pack. It’s not inexpensive. Carried 1 light weight fleece zip up layer that I wore daily, which was very inexpensive, and found wool socks to be the thing I packed extra of. Again, Buen Camino!

I would just like to add that you have received some really great advice here form very experienced pilgrims, C CLeary, davebugg, Trecile, Camino Chrissy to name a few. I think it is important for you to have a realistic idea of your cold tolerance. I would just add that i walked in temperatures in the 20's with wind and slush and snow, well in lots of foul conditions. If you keep your head, neck, hands and feet warm you will be fine. A good buff to wear over your beanie that can cover your face, neck and add another layer on your head does the trick every time. I strarted out cold many mornings. Walking on the Meseta or the northern coast in the driving rain or in snow and wind in Galicia. I can tell you in the cold I learned pretty quickly to judge how quickly I warmed up. Early on I would always have to stop after 10 or 15 minutes because even in those cold temperatures I was getting hot. So I wore a little less and was a little colder for a few minutes knowing i would warm pretty quickly.
I had a super light sleeping bag that was insulated to 40 degrees. It did the trick almost every night. On the few nights it didn't I just wore some extra clothes and I slept like a baby.
Less is more just be realistic of what you think you can handle. You can always pick up what you need along the way. You are not walking along the Arctic Circle ;) :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I still can't comment on your clothes, because I can't tell whether you are planning to take all those zero weight items. Some comments on other items from your list:
  1. For comparison purposes, I wouldn't include poles in the weight.
  2. Sleep mask, ear plugs, creams - That must be over a pound of creams. What are they, and do you need a pound's worth?
  3. Two dress shirts - How many would you wear at once? :)
  4. Make-up 6.6 oz. I don't think you will be worried about impressing anyone on the camino in February!
  5. Ibuprofen - 2 oz is a big bottle. Why so much? It is readily available in Spain.
  6. Moleskin and alcohol - 8 oz of alcohol is too much. Take 1 oz or a few little packets of alcohol wipes. Replenish your supply if needed, at any pharmacy.
  7. New Universal outlet - 5 oz, but have you abandoned the charge station. You don't need a bulky universal outlet - either buy a USB charger in Spain, or take one of these little adaptors, which is all that you need for your electronics. (Duct-tape it to your charger plug, or else you are certain to leave it behind within a week, and they are harder to find in Spain, so you would then need to buy the charger with a European plug.)

If it's an issue of not enough space, you can get a compression stuff sack. I can fit a lot of clothing into a 10L stuff sack and compress it way down in size.

I use a compression stuff sack for regular travel too when I am going somewhere with just a carry-on.

An option instead of a 2nd gatoraide jug is a quart ziplock bag. If needed, just fill with water; otherwise keep for when more than one quart of water is needed--probably not many times on the Invierno. Placing in an outside side pocket and using first before the jug of water would be best.

Also a rain skirt, or kilt, weighs about 2.9 ozs instead of the rain pants. Most rain pants cause a lot of wet legs since they trap presperation. ULA-Expedition has the kilts and there are reviews by folks who like them. I've used one for years and plan to have it with me on the Olvidado/Invierno and Dos Faros. Also usuful if washing clothes and need something to cover below the waist line.

Wonderful to learn you're from NOLA! I assumed you were somewhere in southern Louisiana because of your use of "Geaux". I live in the greater New Orleans area. Enjoy your camino!
Bob

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am for taking rain pants: for warmth and dryness. I have never sweated in my breathable rain pants, which keep my boots dry, as well as my lower body. But it would, I admit, be a little challenging trying them out in New Orleans. Getting cold and wet is your greatest risk travelling in winter in a northern climate. And your trousers are not likely to dry overnight unless the albergue is a lot warmer that can be expected. Don't risk hypothermia.

I would recommend taking a slightly larger than usual pack. My typical Camino pack is a 40 litre daypack and it works fine for spring/summer but not winter.

While the bulkier winter clothing and sleeping stuff takes up more room, I had multiple occasions where packing extra food became necessary and my 40 litre just wasn't large enough. January is a darn sparse time on the Camino when many, many of the regular stops for food, drink and bathrooms are not available.

I am moving up to a 50 litre for my upcoming 2022 Jan/Feb Camino just to have a bit more expansion room.

Second on rain pants! I got hit with multiple fast moving squalls that came out of nowhere and my pants saved me a lot of cold, wet walking. Mine are from Little Donkey Andy and fit and look like regular cargo pants.

Cheers!

M

Take the hairbrush, take the moisturizer....you maybe ONLY need mascara but you can leave that too. One issue I had when i did this before was the "stuff I needed" my pilgrim friend literally emptied my entire pack on the bed and moved half of it into a postal box. We mailed it for a nominal fee to the next big city. I literally didn't even need that box at the end. :). Also I did NOT need the number of underwear I packed or shirts or anything else. I learned in the evenings one of the things i did was laundry every 2 or 3 days. You find once you leave "your regular life" and don't pick up the phone and social media you have a LOT of free time to do the "mundane" tasks you find pleasure in - like laundry. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.