• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Great Westward Walk" - A must-read!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I am filled with joy tonight: I have just completed the book "The Great Westward Walk".

If you are thinking about walking the Camino: Read this first. This is, when you consider the end outcome, a heartbreaking story: The author is now dead due to ALS, a terrible disease, that I have experienced firsthand. But before he died, he managed to produce this remarkable book.

Pilgrims, firsttimers as well as us old-timers, should read this adventure before embarking on the Camino: This book is written by a young man of exceptional insight, strength, sufferings, joy, and understanding of a meaningful life, packed with both practical as well as spiritual guidances for the Camino.

Newbies will cherish all advice and stories; Oldtimers will love the familiarity of all places on the French Camino, as well as the deeper meaning/history of the places on the Camino Frances.

It has been a big success in Spain, and it has now been translated into English by one of the Dames of this forum : @Rebekah Scott Thank you for your efforts!

I urge you to get a copy of this incredible insight into the Camino Frances from a young man that is unfortunately no longer with us.

Here is some info on the young and insightful man (It is in Spanish; use Google translate):

http://www.blogseitb.com/rogeblasco/2013/08/14/antxon-gonzalez-gabarain-el-gran-caminante/

And you can buy it here (English version): Possibly the best preparation for your next Camino, whether firsttime or veterano:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/8461792874/?tag=casaivar02-20

I should also state that I have no economic interests in this whatsoever: I just want both future and experienced pilgrims to be better educated and understand more about what an exceptional voyage we embark upon. This book is exceptional. I feel sorry for his daughters who lost such a father.

Edit: Moderators, IMHO, this post/resource should be a sticky: It gives so much of the Camino spirit.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola Alex - small question - do I buy a hard copy or is the e_book format sufficient. I read nearly all books on my iPad these days. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alex:

I just ordered it from Amazon US. Yes, it is offered as a Kindle download for USD 5.95, or in large paperback for $15.95.

I too, prefer an analog book, unless it is to be carried on Camino. So, I oprted for the hard copy.

Thanks for the lead.

Kudos to Rebekah. She is named as co-author on Amazon. That cannot hurt.

Tom

Alex:

I just ordered it from Amazon US. Yes, it is offered as a Kindle download for USD 5.95, or in large paperback for $15.95.

I too, prefer an analog book, unless it is to be carried on Camino. So, I oprted for the hard copy.

Thanks for the lead.

Tom
Hi Tom,

I know you will love this one. It is shere poetry and tons of all things Camino-related. When you get the book, find your best chair and a bottle of Rioja, "return" to the Camino and leave this world for some time :)

PS: Setting out again in 4 days: You know how it is...

Edit:
@Rebekah Scott is named as translator on Amazon, which is correct, and that is all good. You can read her intro if you pre-read the first pages on Amazon (Click on the cover).

The book may need a revision due to some grammar/misspellling errors (say I, a Norwegian!), but this version is brilliant as is. She has done a great job of it.

Last edited:
It sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recommendation, and congrats to the author and also to Reb.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've just spent the better part of the afternoon and evening totally absorbed in this book.
It's more than the usual tiresome Camino memoir, no doubt about it.

@Rebekah Scott , for someone who claims to have a mediocre level of skill in Spanish...well, of course what can I tell about the accuracy of the translation? But that's not your voice in those words, it's Bolitx's - loud and clear. This is a wonderful read, and I kept forgetting it was not originally written in English. Well done, and thank you for bringing this to light for the rest of us!

Interesting to see this thread today, the anniversary of Bolitx's passing.

well gee, you guys. It was an honor to be asked to do the translating job. It took a lot longer than I thought it would, and I ended up working without a final edit, which is why there are typos... those are MY mistakes, yes. But I was working without a net!

It is an exceptional book, a real standout in what's often a pretty soggy genre.

If enough people discover the book, we can afford another, cleaner edition!

Thanks for the reminder. I bought the ebook when I first heard about it and then forgot it. It will be my next read ... as soon as I finish the one I'm on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am filled with joy tonight: I have just completed the book "The Great Westward Walk".

If you are thinking about walking the Camino: Read this first. This is, when you consider the end outcome, a heartbreaking story: The author is now dead due to ALS, a terrible disease, that I have experienced firsthand. But before he died, he managed to produce this remarkable book.

Pilgrims, firsttimers as well as us old-timers, should read this adventure before embarking on the Camino: This book is written by a young man of exceptional insight, strength, sufferings, joy, and understanding of a meaningful life, packed with both practical as well as spiritual guidances for the Camino.

Newbies will cherish all advice and stories; Oldtimers will love the familiarity of all places on the French Camino, as well as the deeper meaning/history of the places on the Camino Frances.

It has been a big success in Spain, and it has now been translated into English by one of the Dames of this forum : @Rebekah Scott Thank you for your efforts!

I urge you to get a copy of this incredible insight into the Camino Frances from a young man that is unfortunately no longer with us.

Here is some info on the young and insightful man (It is in Spanish; use Google translate):

http://www.blogseitb.com/rogeblasco/2013/08/14/antxon-gonzalez-gabarain-el-gran-caminante/

And you can buy it here (English version): Possibly the best preparation for your next Camino, whether firsttime or veterano:

I should also state that I have no economic interests in this whatsoever: I just want both future and experienced pilgrims to be better educated and understand more about what an exceptional voyage we embark upon. This book is exceptional. I feel sorry for his daughters who lost such a father.

Edit: Moderators, IMHO, this post/resource should be a sticky: It gives so much of the Camino spirit.
Where/How can I buy it in Spanish? I get the page you link to in this post, but I don't think it's set up for international sales.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I just downloaded the book to read on my flight to Spain. We start walking on September 10

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I heard some time ago in a Spanish pilgrims forum about Bolitx and read any of his older posts. Last year, when voluntering in Irun´s municipal albergue, went to Zumaia and bougt a hard copy of this book. One month later, knew his dad, how is trying to keep his son´s memory alive.
I never knew Bolitx before his dead. I dont know if he would honour me with his friendship, but I can say now, after reading his book that I feel him like the closest of my friends.
The benefits of this book will be used to pay the education of Bolitx´s daugther.
Please don´t think twice and give yourselves a great gift: The joy, the pain, the laugths, the thougths, the hope, the courage of a man, who for sure, you will never forget. The leading of a man who, for sure, will became your friend too.
Buen Camino a toda la gente honrada. ¡Que Dios os sostenga en la palma de su mano!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.