• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The greatest challenge so far...

Rob the Slob

A slob
Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid to Santiago (May 2016)
I have three cats. One of them is called Inara, but in hindsight should perhaps have been called Puffball: she's large and white, and every time you touch her a cloud of white fur bursts into the air. And I just discovered that she's been sleeping on my hiking gear.

So I've just been vigourously brushing away at my clothes. And still my black 100% merino vest is now a salt-and-pepper 90% merino/10% cat fur vest.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And who knows, maybe you will make the earth shattering discovery that cat fur repels bedbugs. :p

With reference to cats and bedbugs, please remember that permethrin can be deadly to cats. If you have treated your sleeping bag with permethrin, you don't want your cat sleeping on it. I don't know if this risk diminishes with time, if your sleeping bag has been sprayed some time ago and not washed since.

@Albertagirl and others the significant risk to felines and fish (and to some extant humans but can we please not go there again) is while Permethrin is in a liquid or aerosol state. Once dried into fabric it should present no threat to a cat. Obviously a dry cloth environment is not particularly good for fish other than Bombay Duck and Manx Kippers. And please pay particular attention to the aggregated scientific research that demonstrates that if you consume 25% of your body-weight in Permethrin you might feel a bit poorly. (Though that might have been Pyrethrum and 2.5% but hey, its the Internet so it must be true (or at least a really funny mash-up)).

Rob, please assure me that you have discovered that sellotape (other sticky-back plastics are available) will successfully remove Merino Wool from your cats....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Albertagirl and others the significant risk to felines and fish (and to some extant humans but can we please not go there again) is while Permethrin is in a liquid or aerosol state. Once dried into fabric it should present no threat to a cat. Obviously a dry cloth environment is not particularly good for fish other than Bombay Duck and Manx Kippers. And please pay particular attention to the aggregated scientific research that demonstrates that if you consume 25% of your body-weight in Permethrin you might feel a bit poorly. (Though that might have been Pyrethrum and 2.5% but hey, its the Internet so it must be true (or at least a really funny mash-up)).

Thank you for clarification. I was unsure of the details but felt protective of the OP's moggie.

Those "sticky" brushes never worked that well for my two long-haired cat's. I have a Rubbermaid brand brush that kind of looks a little like velcro material. Even then you may need a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers.! Inara must know quality, and bet she never laid on top of your synthetic gear :)
Janice

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Rob the Slob" ??? LOL.....There you go.....it's meant to be...you can't look perfect on the Camino :) just kidding ...Buen Camino !

I have three cats. One of them is called Inara, but in hindsight should perhaps have been called Puffball: she's large and white, and every time you touch her a cloud of white fur bursts into the air. And I just discovered that she's been sleeping on my hiking gear.

So I've just been vigourously brushing away at my clothes. And still my black 100% merino vest is now a salt-and-pepper 90% merino/10% cat fur vest.
Ok, now that made me laugh out loud and I scared my 2 dogs, plus the 3 I do daycare for.

Just reading this gives me the sniffles. But then, I carry along the white hair of my wife's Jack Russel terrier--everywhere I go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ahhh, the white cat/dark garment phenomenon. I've long wondered about some kind of magnetic property which attracts the two. Similar to the yogurt/dark garment and red wine/white garment phenomena. I have an ancient dark blue fleece (not merino) which still carries white hairs from a friend's (now long-dead) Siamese. Kind of a memorial, really.... Face it, Rob - those hairs are there for good. You're going to have to learn to love them! And I agree with @Tincatinker - you should absolutely look into patenting that fibre combo.

I have nothing to add, other than these posts made my "crappy" day turn into a great day! Fun posts are needed sometimes! buen Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.