A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

The group of albergues thieves has been arrested by the Guardia Civil.

Camino Badges

gmag

Camino(s) past & future
frances
It is great news!
I summarize and translate:

The group of hostel thieves has been arrested by the Guardia Civil.
108 criminal facts have been clarified. Five people have been arrested and another 7 have been charged. All domiciled in Bilbao. 66 mobile phones have been recovered.
They acted in two ways, entering some of them as pilgrims, and opening the doors at night to their friends, who were stealing quietly, and entering hours of heavy influx of pilgrims, and stealing money, jewelry and mobile phones.
They acted in Rioja and Navarra, mainly.
They also stole in hospitals, health centers, works - workers' lockers.
The leader of the group has entered prison.

The news has been published here:
https://www.larioja.com/la-rioja/sucesos/grupo-delictivo-dedicado-20190725091053-nt.html#

Thornley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
Brilliant - you gotta love the Spanish police, they never give up! If only Spain still had slave galleys!!
In Córdoba walking in the heat .
This is one of the most beautiful cities we have stayed in , splashed out and stayed in Casa de Juderia with pool.
Went for lunch near Mezquita and commented that no grafetti existed , they laughed, called over a local bobby 😇 having coffee .
He touched my forearm , smiled and then he touched his baton .
Beautiful I thought.

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
Seriously? :(
Well, the slave galleys was a joke, but criminals? Absolutely. A person chooses. I give no mercy at all to professional criminals. In Russia, if you choose to become a professional criminal and are then caught and imprisoned you lose all citizens rights, you become a non-citizen (until you are released), because by choosing against your society you chose against your society and are seen as no longer a member of it.

Spain has a huge number of police in three forces, they are everywhere and Spain has just one eighth of the crime that we have in the UK - says it all don't you think?

Camino(s) past & future
9-17: CF-SdC
4-18: SdC - Fisterra
9-18: Hosp Rvalles
4-19: Via Agusta
6-19: Hosp Rvalles
4-20: VdlP
That's great news! It was devastating in Roncesvalles to get up at 5.30am to find at least 15 distressed pilgrims downstairs, who had lost their valuables, phones, everything! Buen Camino everyone, keep yourself and your valuables safe and secure. From a hospitalera who was there when it happened.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Well, the slave galleys was a joke, but criminals? Absolutely. A person chooses. I give no mercy at all to professional criminals. In Russia, if you choose to become a professional criminal and are then caught and imprisoned you lose all citizens rights, you become a non-citizen (until you are released), because by choosing against your society you chose against your society and are seen as no longer a member of it.

Spain has a huge number of police in three forces, they are everywhere and Spain has just one eighth of the crime that we have in the UK - says it all don't you think?
My response of “Seriously?” was in direct response to your comment about slave galleys. In no way am I condoning criminal behavior.

It is extremely distressing to me when the institution of slavery or any kind of human repression is joked about or made light of. This only serves to undermine the seriousness of the horrors associated with the systematic repression, imprisonment and brutal treatment of human beings and ultimately perpetuates racism.

My response may be heading into political territory but we are living in dangerous times when eroding human rights and condoned microaggressions are on the rise world wide. We must be careful in the words we use and the context in which they are used.

MileHighPair

Camino(s) past & future
2012, '14: Frances
2015: Chimayo, USA.
2016, '17: VdlP
2018: Madrid, Ourense, Salvador, Primitivo
Great news! And a fairly confident that any discussion on this forum will have NO influence on Spanish criminal law enforcement. I just happy that pilgrims will have one less group of thieves to deal with (although it's always good to be reminded to be cautious).

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I too applaud the work of the police in cracking this ring of robbers. There are/will be others, no doubt. It is a moment to be reminded though that it is the duty of everyone to be utterly careful of her/his property. I had to go back to my bunk more than once last week to pick up my waist pack when I went to the shower room. I just hope that some of those who have been robbed can be reunited with their property.

David

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
My response of “Seriously?” was in direct response to your comment about slave galleys. In no way am I condoning criminal behavior.

It is extremely distressing to me when the institution of slavery or any kind of human repression is joked about or made light of. This only serves to undermine the seriousness of the horrors associated with the systematic repression, imprisonment and brutal treatment of human beings and ultimately perpetuates racism.

My response may be heading into political territory but we are living in dangerous times when eroding human rights and condoned microaggressions are on the rise world wide. We must be careful in the words we use and the context in which they are used.
Ah, I understand. Please accept my apologies .. so easy to do a throw away line and actually distress someone, my bad.
During the days of sail slaves were used on fast oared boats, galleys, the French sentenced prisoners to them as late as the 1740's I think, and their lives were terrible. It was very much a one way ticket.

I feel sorry for criminals, that they have so lost their way (I speak of professional criminals here) and I don't actually seek vengeance or revenge or harm against of them, only that they lose their rights and are taken out of society for a time and hopefully helped in that time to alter their lives.

I have taken your upset on board and shall not make that sort of comment again, I meant no disrespect to the history of any people, my apologies.

SteveSherry

Camino(s) past & future
2014,Camino Frances, 2016 Frances, 2018 Francés, 2016/18 Finisterre and Muxia
It is great news!
I summarize and translate:

The group of hostel thieves has been arrested by the Guardia Civil.
108 criminal facts have been clarified. Five people have been arrested and another 7 have been charged. All domiciled in Bilbao. 66 mobile phones have been recovered.
They acted in two ways, entering some of them as pilgrims, and opening the doors at night to their friends, who were stealing quietly, and entering hours of heavy influx of pilgrims, and stealing money, jewelry and mobile phones.
They acted in Rioja and Navarra, mainly.
They also stole in hospitals, health centers, works - workers' lockers.
The leader of the group has entered prison.

The news has been published here:
https://www.larioja.com/la-rioja/sucesos/grupo-delictivo-dedicado-20190725091053-nt.html#
I’ve always been careful but had a blind faith on the Way. Will be very careful in future. Note, it’s not pilgrims but rather, a gang of thieves. Thanks for the timely warning.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.5%