• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The hardest camino route? Need advice!

AngieOttawa

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - Leon to Santiago (October2017)
Portuguese de la Costa - Tomar to Finisterre (May 2018
I was planning on walking the Camino Del North (starting in late-April) but I am getting very worried with the description of extreme hills and highway walking. Is this still the case? Ideally, I'd like to follow the coast line as much as possible.

I am a bit out of shape due to recent illnesses (pneumonia that put me in bed for a month).

I've walked from Leon to Santiago, from Santiago to Finisterre and from Tomar (Portugal) to Santiago (the coastal route) - to kind of give you a bit of my experience).

Any other suggestions of routes to take, if indeed this camino is could be too much for someone who's spent the last month in bed? I'm walking as much as I can at home in the meantime but 3 weeks isntt much.

Thank you in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know a few people who had to abandon a walk because they pushed too hard after injury or illness. My advice is to consciously "under-achieve." Be the tortoise not the hare.
Start with small stages at first - Plan short stages, or use public transportation to cover partial stages.
Build distance up gradually - Don't expect to walk distances in the first two weeks that you would consider "normal" when you were at full strength
Be extra cautious when you feel tired - Ignore the voice that tells you to push through the wall. Take rest days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am walking the Camino Norte as well my pilgrimage beginning May 27th. I plan to be kind to myself and rest when needed. My plan is to do 15 miles a day broken up into 3 segments of 5 miles each then rest. If that turns out to be too much I will reduce down to 10 miles a day. I feel this is more of a marathon than a sprint and it should be glorious NOT painful. GOD bless. BTW I'm 70.

I was planning on walking the Camino Del North (starting in late-April) but I am getting very worried with the description of extreme hills and highway walking. Is this still the case? Ideally, I'd like to follow the coast line as much as possible.

I am a bit out of shape due to recent illnesses (pneumonia that put me in bed for a month).

I've walked from Leon to Santiago, from Santiago to Finisterre and from Tomar (Portugal) to Santiago (the coastal route) - to kind of give you a bit of my experience).

Any other suggestions of routes to take, if indeed this camino is could be too much for someone who's spent the last month in bed? I'm walking as much as I can at home in the meantime but 3 weeks isntt much.

Thank you in advance
My wife and I walked the Norte last year, as part of a longer walk. My wife was recovering from cancer, and we walked an average of 16km per day.
We didn't find it "extreme" at all, and we enjoyed it. We didn't blindly follow the yellow arrows, we took many coastal alternatives.
We also stayed more in pensiones and casa rurales, so that we could have a decent rest.
Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are many coastal deviations you can take and there are lots of descriptions from pilgrims here if you search for it. There are a lot of up and downs and as someone else said there are no where near as many choices. You cant compare caminos very well but Leon to Santiago is very hilly and the O'Cebreiro is the toughest day by far. I thought there were some days as hard as that one . The walk to Finisterre and the Coastal Portuguese are much easier walks for sure. Take it slow and if you need to take a taxi sometimes do it. Just walk it and dont push yourself and end up in the hospital. It is a beautiful camino but only you know your fitness level and what is tough for one person is another's cakewalk.

You may find that there are areas where you have to walk farther than 10 miles a day, as the towns aren't as close together as they are on the Francés.
There are only a few places where there are no accommodations for 10 miles or more. If in those situations you feel you cannot go quite that distance, have a taxi at the START of the day drop you off a few kilometers down the trail to the point where you can walk the rest of the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can begin from Bilbao. From there there are not that much ups and downs as From Irun to Bilbao.

Thank you in advance
I walked Del Norte to Finesterre last year. There is a lot of pavement but it was beautiful. In all but a few places it was possible to break it into shorter stages. Buen camino!

I managed it and if I can, anyone can. Break it up into short stages if necessary - eg the first day we stopped at Passajes and did not try to walk any further
Kanga
I managed it and if I can, anyone can. Break it up into short stages if necessary - eg the first day we stopped at Passajes and did not try to walk any further
Kanga thank you for the quick and direct reply. I too am planning to walk the El Norte in September and due to a dodgy hip and knee was considering starting from San Sebastian so as to miss the ascents and descents from Irun that are being discussed here. But hey ho having read your reply am starting from Irun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Kanga

Kanga thank you for the quick and direct reply. I too am planning to walk the El Norte in September and due to a dodgy hip and knee was considering starting from San Sebastian so as to miss the ascents and descents from Irun that are being discussed here. But hey ho having read your reply am starting from Irun!

I am on the Camino Norte at the moment (yup - decided to do it). I started in Bilbao for lack of time... but everyone tells me the best part is between Irún and Bilbao that i basically missed the most beautiful part.

Just a thought. Lots of options to do short stages if you have the time and don’t mind spending a bit more once in a while for a casa rural or a pension.

Here for not pushing yourself.
A golden rule, seems to easy but I worked with it on asthma rehab. Monitor your puls. It’s 180 minus your age. That’s the maximum of heartbeats per minute you should have, that means uphill you go really slow. The great thing is you will make your goal not being exhausted and only slightly slower that the runner that arrive buffed on the top of the hill. Over time you will have to walk a bit faster to reach you puls limit and so on.
Good luck

I am on the Camino Norte at the moment (yup - decided to do it). I started in Bilbao for lack of time... but everyone tells me the best part is between Irún and Bilbao that i basically missed the most beautiful part.

Just a thought. Lots of options to do short stages if you have the time and don’t mind spending a bit more once in a while for a casa rural or a pension.
My wife and I walked the first part of the Norte last year. For her it was her first Camino and she did not know what she could "manage". We decided to start in Bilbao, because that would be easier. All went so well that after 8 days walking we traveled back to Irun and walked to Bilbao and even took the high route over the Jazkibelmountain. It was beautiful. If you've got the time I would consider following the coast after Santander. It will be 25 kilometer more but we found it very beautiful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I walked the first part of the Norte last year. For her it was her first Camino and she did not know what she could "manage". We decided to start in Bilbao, because that would be easier. All went so well that after 8 days walking we traveled back to Irun and walked to Bilbao and even took the high route over the Jazkibelmountain. It was beautiful. If you've got the time I would consider following the coast after Santander. It will be 25 kilometer more but we found it very beautiful.
Is that an alternate route over the Jazkibel Mtn? I’m going to try to avoid as much pavement as I can. I’ve been training with a full pack, 2 miles up a mountain and 2 miles back every day and btw I’m 70. I do want to try to save my knees and feet as much as I can.

It is not an alternative route. After Irun you have to choose between the high and the low route. I do not know the low route, but on the high road, I don't remember any asphalt. On the point where the split occurs, the high road is called "ruta alpinista", this term might be misleading, it is a walking route. Steep in some places, but the views on top are very rewarding

Kanga's suggestion to stop at San Juan de Pasaje is useful. It has the added advantage of being a lovely place to spend some time staring at the water. I was not in great shape when I did the Irun to Pasaje stretch 2 years ago and it was quite enough for one day. As well, the ascent from the harbour the next day needs to be taken slowly-- do not sprint up the steps!

The first week on the del Norte is the most difficult on the whole Camino. I would underlined the advice others have given, to take shorter days (15-25km) and to use transport if necessary.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is not an alternative route. After Irun you have to choose between the high and the low route. I do not know the low route, but on the high road, I don't remember any asphalt. On the point where the split occurs, the high road is called "ruta alpinista", this term might be misleading, it is a walking route. Steep in some places, but the views on top are very rewarding
My plan is to start in San Sebastián. How is the route from there To Bilbao

Hi Angie - thanks for coming back and letting us know what you decided to do and what you've found. Sounds like you made a good decision based on your situation.
Forget about Irun-Bilbao - work with what you have and make it the best. Ultreya!

Thanks for the update,,, my wife and I are starting August 23, it’s good to know there are many options for short stages! We plan on taking our time. I am a bit worried about that first day from Irún. I hope there are beds available in Pasajes!
Burn Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are only a few places where there are no accommodations for 10 miles or more. If in those situations you feel you cannot go quite that distance, have a taxi at the START of the day drop you off a few kilometers down the trail to the point where you can walk the rest of the way.

Are taxis available in all the towns?

Are taxis available in all the towns?

They are - but in the remote towns they charge you from wherever they leave to pick you up... so the meter may start before you get on....

Also LOTS of city bus options even in most remote towns since the Norte is almost always close to a small highway.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for that info. At 70 I might need to take a bus now and then. I certainly won’t rule it out😉

Thank you in advance
I didn’t think ir was difficult at all but I only hike up mountains and volcanoes

They are - but in the remote towns they charge you from wherever they leave to pick you up... so the meter may start before you get on....

Also LOTS of city bus options even in most remote towns since the Norte is almost always close to a small highway.
So tell us how was it? Or are you still in the planning stage. Maybe I am bit behind the power curve?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you in advance
I finished the Primitivo recently and have done the Salvador (Leon to Oviedo) and the Norte. Camino Norte was the most difficult one for me probably due to the length. With that said, I agree with many replies. If I had to do it over again, I would have walked less each day. As it is I’m not the one who logs many days of more than 25-27 kms. The first few days were the toughest for me and I had found my “trail legs” having hiked before starting. You walked from Leon. Imagine days back to back like the climb to O’Cebrario or that level of difficulty but longer more gradual ascents perhaps. The idea of cutting the harder days in half is a good plan. I will add that it is the greatest one in terms of scenery in my opinion because of the way the ocean comes in and out of view with some beaches to access that feel like little private ones. Unbelievable. The Primitivo and the Salvador are also spectacular if you like mountains and awesome views.

Norte is the best. Go for it. Buen Camino
Looking at your bio and where you've been -

Could I ask:

For a first timer on the Way (and in Spain) would you recommend doing the full Norte or the Norte-Primitivo? I know a northern way is for me, so I will be starting at Irun regardless. Still haven't decided on an April or late September start....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The OP asked her question 4 years ago and hasn’t been on the forum since a couple of months after she posted, so it looks like we’ll never know how it went for her.

But there are some live questions going on now, so I’ll leave the thread open.

For a first timer on the Way (and in Spain) would you recommend doing the full Norte or the Norte-Primitivo?
I think you might want to leave that undecided for now. Both options are great. Weather, crowds, the people you’re with —all may be relevant to your decision. It’s been my experience that more people drop down to Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. But the Norte after that point is really very nice. You just can’t go wrong!

Hello, ANFK
I walked the first half of the Norte before turning onto the Primitivo several years ago and loved the combination of the two; both are wonderful Caminos.
This past spring I completed the Norte by walking the 2nd half and thought it somewhat less difficult. It felt like a whole different Camino and each one is special in its own way.

Last edited:
I think you might want to leave that undecided for now. Both options are great. Weather, crowds, the people you’re with —all may be relevant to your decision. It’s been my experience that more people drop down to Oviedo to walk the Primitivo. But the Norte after that point is really very nice. You just can’t go wrong!
I agree. My first time on the Norte I waited until I got to Villaviciosa to decide. I was there in July that year, and it was busy on the Norte, so there was a bit of a bed race. Since so many were turning off onto the Primitivo I decided to continue on the Norte. It became much easier to find a bed after that.

This year I walked the Norte again, but this time I switched to the Primitivo. I felt a bit sad leaving the coast because I remembered all the beautiful places I had passed through on the last part of the Norte, but I did enjoy the Primitivo.

Some people decide to finish on the Norte and save the Primitivo for a shorter, stand alone Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.