• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The hardest leg?

SPQR

And so it begins...I just started my camino an hour ago when I left my front door. I'm reasonably content with figuring out things on the way, but I am worried about the first part of my journey. I'm arriving in Biarritz at 2:45 June 19th (tomorrow) and I'm worried about getting to SJPP. I think that I should be able to take a bus/train, but does anybody have any tips or better suggestions? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And so it begins...I just started my camino an hour ago when I left my front door. I'm reasonably content with figuring out things on the way, but I am worried about the first part of my journey. I'm arriving in Biarritz at 2:45 June 19th (tomorrow) and I'm worried about getting to SJPP. I think that I should be able to take a bus/train, but does anybody have any tips or better suggestions? Thanks!
Check with Carolyn at Express Burricot, http://www.expressbourricot.com/. She'll pick you up anywhere (almost!). As for the "first" part, it's probably too late to book in Orisson. There is also a gite just below. That splits up the climb. And IMHO, keep your boots on until you're "home" at night unless your feet sweat.
Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
for me the hardest leg was my right one with a 6 day post dislocation of my patella and i did Roncesvialles to Zubiri that last 5k was mentaly and physically one of the hardest things i have done.......

sleep early and well at all costs the snorers can be very loud, walkeearly to beat the sun, eat well and at all costs always have more fluid than you think you may need and re hydration tablets i learned a very hard lesson!

This thread discusses how to get from Biarritz Airport to Saint Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP)

Biarritz Airport is the closest airport to SJPdP.

Biarritz Aiport (BIQ)
http://www.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Chronoplus #14 from Airport to Gare de Bayonne
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

SNCF TER Aquitaine. Train service from Gare de Bayonne to SJPdP #62. Sometimes train service is replaced by a bus that operates on the same schedule with the same stops using the same tickets. Note the station name is 'Saint Jean Pied de Port' ... the website does not recognize 'SJPdP'.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/regions/aquitaine/fr/default.aspx

Transport64 - Bus service from Gare de Bayonne to St Palais #811. St Palais to SJPdP #810.
http://www.transports64.fr/transports-64?lang=fr

Express Bourricot, based in SJPdP, offers 'person transportation' service to and from Biarritz Airport as well as any other location in the region. This service is essentially a private hire taxi and must be arranged in advance. The cost goes down as the number of passengers goes up.
http://www.expressbourricot.com/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tape every other toe before you leave the albergue the first day, use tape or glide on the bottom (ball area) of your feet and possible around heels. Use this mantra as you’re getting passed...walk in a relaxed manner. Stop for breaks, take pictures, visit with fellow pilgrims. Try to remember how long it has taken you to be on this journey and don’t rush. So many people that passed me were hobbled for several days at some point, wearing knee braces and had shin splints. It is not a race. There will be a cold beverage, food and a bed for you. Buen Camino. Most difficult for us: down hill into Zubiri was slick and hard to walk, and also after Cruz de Ferro there is quite a bit of rocky, slick, downhill

Tape every other toe before you leave the albergue the first day, use tape or glide on the bottom (ball area) of your feet and possible around heels. Use this mantra as you’re getting passed...walk in a relaxed manner. Stop for breaks, take pictures, visit with fellow pilgrims. Try to remember how long it has taken you to be on this journey and don’t rush. So many people that passed me were hobbled for several days at some point, wearing knee braces and had shin splints. It is not a race. There will be a cold beverage, food and a bed for you. Buen Camino. Most difficult for us: down hill into Zubiri was slick and hard to walk, and also after Cruz de Ferro there is quite a bit of rocky, slick, downhill
Good advice, but the Member has not visited the Forum since July 2014, so is unlikely to benefit from it.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.