• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The History of Spain: Land on a Crossroad

jayree

Time of past OR future Camino
CdS 2012, CdN 2013, Shikoku 2015, CP 2016.
Last Fall I saw a one-time ad in the NYT for this course on sale. I bought the deeply discounted audio download (to my iPhone) and listened to it while walking each day. It is a comprehensive and fascinating history of Spain, “covering the centuries from the first prehistoric settlement of the peninsula to Spain’s 20th century civil war … an overview of Spanish history, culture, artistic achievements and its stunning contributions to the modern world.” I note that it is now on sale again, but only until December 12. Highly recommended. The best overview I have encountered. More info at

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-history-of-spain-land-on-a-crossroad.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Great Courses typically does a well, great job of talking about/teaching whatever the subject is.

I just downloaded the digital version for USD 19.99! That is 24, half-hour lectures. Here is the direct URL:

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-history-of-spain-land-on-a-crossroad.html

FYI - the non-sale price is USD $149.99...wow!

In the off-season, I spend an hour or two daily on the forum. Then I walk for another 90 minutes or so. As I do, I do two 30- minute Pimsleur Spanish lessons. After I finish the 30 lessons on that course, I repeat them in a cycle. Lastly, once back at home, cooling off, I do another 45 minutes or so, almost daily, on my FREE Duolingo online Spanish course.

Adding this course to the mix will improve the results I think.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We get the Great Courses streaming on our TV with our Roku device. Have been working through the History of Spain one and agree it is good. We've also been working through the Spainish language one to augment our halting language abilities. We also do Duo Lingo Spanish.

I just downloaded the digital version for USD 19.99! That is 24, half-hour lectures. Here is the direct URL:
I'm not very experienced with podcasts, etc. Does this download as 24 different files that I can put on my phone like music?

Thanks for the help.

On point 5 I read "As Rome's empire waned, Germanic and Iranian tribal groups besieged Spanish territories"

Maybe they wanted to say "Germanic and Arian" instead of "Germanic and Iranian".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On point 5 I read "As Rome's empire waned, Germanic and Iranian tribal groups besieged Spanish territories"

Maybe they wanted to say "Germanic and Arian" instead of "Germanic and Iranian".

No, I think he DOES mean Iranian - a reference to the Roman-Persian wars, which lasted for centuries and ultimately brought both empires to their knees.

You can also sign up for Audible for their 30 day free trial and download the audiobook version for free.

I'm not very experienced with podcasts, etc. Does this download as 24 different files that I can put on my phone like music?

Thanks for the help.

Yes! In fact, after I purchased it, Great Courses sent me a link to access my online library. Clearly, their system is designed for online streaming. But, I do not want to burn through my data allotment when away from home. HOWEVER, they do offer the ability to download each, individual lecture. That would be 24, mp3 or m4b formatted files (your choice).

First, I downloaded each file, in m4b format for my various Apple devices. Then I placed all 24 file into a folder I created for this purpose. Because Great Courses does not have an option to download the entire course in one download, you must create the folder yourself.

Once I was certain I had got everything downloaded and sorted properly, I then copied the entire folder to my iTunes library on my Mac. From there, I copied it to my iPhone.

It showed up on the iPhone and in iTunes as an audiobook. This is important. It took me a while to locate it.

This sounds far more complicated than it really was. The trick to organizing it was to create a folder on my home computer (Macbook) to store all the 24 lecture files in.

I hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No, I think he DOES mean Iranian - a reference to the Roman-Persian wars, which lasted for centuries and ultimately brought both empires to their knees.

Yes. I don´t know if this has to do with the Roman- Persian wars, but the thing is (I found out on Internet) that the Alans had Iranian origin. Actually, there is still an ethnic group in Irak called the Alanis.
So the invaders were Germanic (Visigoths, Suabians and Wandals) and Iranians (Alans).
So, point 5 is correct.

I want to bump this thread... I got this series, The History of Spain: Land on a Crossroad, and am now halfway through listening to the series for the second time. Of course I listen while I am out walking. I have never used audiobooks before, and it took a bit of getting used to, but now I am really enjoying it. I've found the lecturer to be very effective in keeping my attention. I'm learning a lot and may listen a third time before I go to Spain again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back