• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Holy Year

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
I recall reading a comment about the Holy Year, possibly here or maybe on one of the Facebook groups, that suggested the combination of a Holy Year and the pent-up demands of a post-COVID Camino season in 2021 may be too problematic.

The suggestion was that the Pope might step in with a revision to the Holy Year calendar, for those reasons.

It was probably just idle speculation, but has anything official been said about next year?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nope. But you could always ask the Pope ? https://www.vaticannews.va/en/faq.html

A Holy Year in Santiago is a Holy Year in Santiago, when the festival of Santiago falls on a Sunday. Himself can grant all sorts of stuff but the last one to change the calendar was Gregory and I don't think the current Pontiff would set himself out as that much of a revisionist. What he can do is declare a year of "indulgence" where, despite the lack of "holy-ness" pilgrims can still duck out of purgatory with the usual combination of hike, hug & confession.

The only people for whom I can conceive of the combination of Holy Year and Covid-19 providing a problem are those who were rubbing there hands in glee in anticipation of the hordes. For pilgrims to the shrine of Santiago next year may well provide opportunities that none could otherwise have imagined.

Nope. But you could always ask the Pope ? https://www.vaticannews.va/en/faq.html

A Holy Year in Santiago is a Holy Year in Santiago, when the festival of Santiago falls on a Sunday. Himself can grant all sorts of stuff but the last one to change the calendar was Gregory and I don't think the current Pontiff would set himself out as that much of a revisionist. What he can do is declare a year of "indulgence" where, despite the lack of "holy-ness" pilgrims can still duck out of purgatory with the usual combination of hike, hug & confession.

The only people for whom I can conceive of the combination of Holy Year and Covid-19 providing a problem are those who were rubbing there hands in glee in anticipation of the hordes. For pilgrims to the shrine of Santiago next year may well provide opportunities that none could otherwise have imagined.

We’re still owed 11 days from the last time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I recall reading a comment about the Holy Year, possibly here or maybe on one of the Facebook groups, that suggested the combination of a Holy Year and the pent-up demands of a post-COVID Camino season in 2021 may be too problematic.
The way I understand it is that a request has been made repeatedly by the Galician government to the Santiago archbishop to ask the Pope to grant an extension. Which the Pope is expected to grant if asked. However, the archbishop hasn't asked yet and will apparently do so only if and when the time has come where such circumstances arise, or something like this.

Again, the way I understand it, the reason are not any multitudes that are expected to come in 2021 but rather the opposite: a chance to make up for lost business and the fear that not enough visitors will come in 2021 as there may be still Covid-19 related restrictions in place or considerably fewer visitors because of their fear of travelling to Spain. The archbishop is apparently determined to declare the start of the Holy Year as planned on 31 December 2020. A possible extension may already end on the saint's feast day in July 2022.

Lots of cultural events and promotion are associated with the Holy Year 2021 and the aim of the Galician government is to spread the tourist manna all over Galicia, not only along any Camino de Santiago.

A recent article, dated 4 June 2020, is here:
In Spanish
In English (translation by Google Translate)

Last edited:
I was also concerned about 2021. Not only is it a Holy Year but now there's the possibility of many extra, post- Covid pilgrims added to the mix.
But maybe I'm worrying for nothing. As of now, the U.S. isn't even on the list of invited guests. 🙁

The way I understand it is that a request has been made repeatedly by the Galician government to the Santiago archbishop to ask the Pope to grant an extension. Which the Pope is expected to grant if asked. However, the archbishop hasn't asked yet and will apparently do so only if and when the time has come where such circumstances arise, or something like this.

Again, the way I understand it, the reason are not any multitudes that are expected to come in 2021 but rather the opposite: a chance to make up for lost business and the fear that not enough visitors will come in 2021 as there may be still Covid-19 related restrictions in place or considerably fewer visitors because of their fear of travelling to Spain. The archbishop is apparently determined to declare the start of the Holy Year as planned on 31 December 2020. A possible extension may already end on the saint's feast day in July 2022.

Lots of cultural events and promotion are associated with the Holy Year 2021 and the aim of the Galician government is to spread the tourist manna all over Galicia, not only along any Camino de Santiago.

A recent article, dated 4 June 2020, is here:
In Spanish
In English (translation by Google Translate)
Thanks for that, Kathar1na - a very helpful answer, which explains all the stresses and strains at hand here.

As with all other things, patience is key.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I see now that the archbishop of Santiago gave a press conference on 8 June. The reason was the nomination of clergy (some leading positions had been filled, others are still vacant) but numerous questions from the reporters concerned the upcoming Holy Year. Galician and national Spanish newspapers reported about it (look for Barrio arzobispo "rueda de prensa" in Google News)

So the current position is quite clear: the Galician government pushes for an extension of the Holy Year, the archbishop has not yet made a decision. For the archbishop, the concern is how the coronavirus epidemic evolves and whether the people who come to the cathedral for the religious-spiritual benefits granted during a Holy Year will be able to come. For the Xunta, the concern are economic consequences en previsión de que la pandemia frene la llegada de peregrinos y turistas este año y el que viene. In contrast to what can be read on online forums, their fear is apparently not that too many pilgrims and tourists will come to Galicia and to Santiago in 2021 but the opposite: not as many as they had hoped for and had already made plans for.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The archbishop of Santiago gave another press conference yesterday but I don't think that the topic of a potential prolongation of the Holy Year 2021 was raised. The press conference was about the organisational work in preparation for an event that is called Peregrinación Europea de Jóvenes PEJ21 - European Pilgrimage of Young People. It reminds me of the World Youth Days for Roman Catholic young people, also a mass event that takes place every few years.

12,000 to 15,000 persons, aged 15-35 years, are expected to come to Santiago for this event. It is a regular event in Holy Years and this time it is scheduled for 4-8 August 2021. Groups of young people are expected from various parts of Europe to come to Santiago, and especially from Portugal. There will be a pre-registration system, and the groups who want to walk can chose between 8 routes in Galicia: Camino Francés, Inglés, Norte, Primitivo, Costa da Morte (Fisterra, Cee, Muros, Carnota, Negreira, Santiago), Vía de la Plata, Portugués and variante espiritual of the Portugués.

Source: https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...peregrinacion-europea/0003_202007S23C5991.htm and others

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back