• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Importance of Symbols

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
As I trod the long and ancient Roman Road (Via Trajana) after leaving Carrion de los Condes I reflected on the long-vanished legions that had also travelled here before me.

In the deep blue sky of that crisp early morning, the slanting sun illuminated a perfect christian cross formed by two vapour trails from jets passing far overhead.

While was praying for divine help before the important battle of the Milvian Bridge in 312 AD, the Roman Emperor Constantine also saw a cross of light in the sky, with the inscription in hoc signo vinces (in this sign you shall conquer).

He decreed that the cross would be the symbol that represented his army in battle. He won the battle of the Milvian Bridge and converted to Christianity, paving the way for Christianity to replace the old Roman gods throughout the Roman Empire.

Symbols can have important meanings and consequences, not only for long-dead Emperors, but for all of us. Look for the symbols that resonate with you as you tread your own Camino.

Regards

Bob M

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
SYMBOLS IN THE SKY

Thanks for that post. I know exactly what you mean. Here is an extract from my diary, last June in VĂ©zelay;
We walked, our days marked by gentle conversation and prayer, gradually approaching our pilgrimage destination of Vézelay. At the foot of the steep hill on which Vezelay’s Basilica is perched, we noticed a little wooden cross someone had left hanging on an iron cross which served as a Pilgrim marker post. It was “T” shaped; I had never seen one like it before. My sister explained it was Tau cross from the Franciscan order. We continued our way, climbing upwards in the heat, it was muggy and cloudy. I stopped because I felt so sad and emotional and I looked to the sky; the sun was shining through a cloud of exactly the same shape as the Tau cross. I was amazed; I had never seen that cross before and now here it was again, its image repeated in the sky. There was no doubt in my mind that it was a sign for me. I mentioned it to my sister that night thinking she’d seen it too, but she’d been looking at me and not the sky.
Next day, as we walked away from Vézelay we discussed its significance and, after a good three miles came to the conclusion that that little wooden cross was intended for me and so turned all the way back again to return to the Pilgrim’s iron cross. It was still there and we made Morning Prayer there where we found it.

I took the Tau cross with me to Santiago, could the person have ever known that it would have ended up over 1000 miles at its intended destination?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back