• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Ireland Way

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
There are a few youtube videos of people who have covered the entire route - one under "Challenge your life" and another under "Tough soles" - there are others too I just remember these ones -definitely worth watching to get a sense.
To be honest the Irish Way is a mishmash of different existing routes and a few bits of connecting routes put together. I have some experience of parts of the Ulster Way - and just walked the Cavan Way and Leitrim Way recently. Its is a real mixed bag of some road walking, some scenic sections, some gravel forestry tracks, some through fields and open ground. The Guidebook is passable, some sections are definitely better signposted than others - but you will probably will want some other source of maps, and the guidebook is starting to get out of date in regards to accomodation (And the Leitrim Way is now re-opened and marked which the Guide advises to taxi past). The Ulster Way which I have some more familiarity with involves quite a bit of road walking - the issue is was that it was designed in mid-1970s when roads were way less busy - now there are several sections that are on busy roads, and there is advice on the Ulster Way website to skip some of these sections.
One final comment - I walked the Cavan and Leitrim Way in September and they were getting overgrown as due to Covid they hadn't been maintained this year. And talking to the ladies in Blacklion tourist office (on the border) their comment was that very few had walked this year - but to be honest very few walk the whole thing in a go...but as it is still a fairly "new" trail it is still gaining traction...so you will probably meet few other long-distance hikers but day-hikers and locals are friendly!
Okay - one more comment - there is a booklet to collect stamps - lots of villages have a specially designed stamp for it (there is a list of were they are available - sometimes in pub, shop etc)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Has anyone walked The Ireland Way lately? (1,000km/620 miles)
If so, could you share details..as in way marker coverage, accommodations; general infrastructure.
It sounds incredible and I'd love to have more personal observations about it.
Hi

I walked the Kerry Way and the Dingle Way in 2016 on my own. At that time the markings were not great. I followed the guide book, which would have been great had the physical markings been clearer. Fortunately, there was always someone around with a hiking GPS or just a group to join and together we figured out the way. As for accommodation, I recommend that you pre-book as there is not a lot, and sometimes it's quite a distance from the town that you're in. However, the taxi service ( which you ask for in any of the numerous pubs in each town) is good and fairly reasonable. If it is raining, the paths are extremely muddy and slippery. Many of the "paths" are very narrow roads - a bit tricky when a car comes by... Make sure you have a really good waterproof poncho to cover you and your backpack and waterproof shoes. I was fortunate in that it didn't rain much during the 2 weeks I walked - but I was very grateful for good protection. The scenery and little towns were really beautiful and I highly recommend those 2 trails.

Hi

I walked the Kerry Way and the Dingle Way in 2016 on my own. At that time the markings were not great. I followed the guide book, which would have been great had the physical markings been clearer. Fortunately, there was always someone around with a hiking GPS or just a group to join and together we figured out the way. As for accommodation, I recommend that you pre-book as there is not a lot, and sometimes it's quite a distance from the town that you're in. However, the taxi service ( which you ask for in any of the numerous pubs in each town) is good and fairly reasonable. If it is raining, the paths are extremely muddy and slippery. Many of the "paths" are very narrow roads - a bit tricky when a car comes by... Make sure you have a really good waterproof poncho to cover you and your backpack and waterproof shoes. I was fortunate in that it didn't rain much during the 2 weeks I walked - but I was very grateful for good protection. The scenery and little towns were really beautiful and I highly recommend those 2 trails.
Unfortuntely these two lovely trails are not part of the Ireland way.
But the comments about narrow roads and rain are true for walking anywhere in Ireland.
However, part of the Dingle Way is known as the Kerry Camino - and can be used as part of the Celtic Camino - walk an "approved" camino route in Ireland and then do the camino ingles from A Coruna (which is under the normal 100km limit for a compostela) - and you can get a compostela

Unfortuntely these two lovely trails are not part of the Ireland way.
But the comments about narrow roads and rain are true for walking anywhere in Ireland.
However, part of the Dingle Way is known as the Kerry Camino - and can be used as part of the Celtic Camino - walk an "approved" camino route in Ireland and then do the camino ingles from A Coruna (which is under the normal 100km limit for a compostela) - and you can get a compostela
Thank you for that information - I just assumed that they all linked up :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think that could be some lovely trails like Kerry and Dingle Ways on the West Coast that could be connected up to create another long-distance trail in Ireland... maybe Covid with a renewed push for people to be outside might spur on some more long distance trails in Ireland

Hi Joyce.

On route to Spain or Portugal you could stop off in Ireland and walk one or more of our Celtic Camino routes - between 25 and 60km. All the routes have a link to Camino Ingles via A Coruna.

There is more information on the Camino Society Ireland website: Celtic Camino

jim

Thanks! Your observations and experiences are invaluable.
I did see that the latest guidebook was 2017 so assumed the info was probably a bit outdated.
I'm still in the curious, fact gathering stage. Due to
Hi

I realize it's Ireland and rain is a given, but which months might be a little less wet? And fewer vacationers? Or is that an impossible combination?🙂
, can't go anywhere for a while anyway. 😕

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks! Your observations and experiences are invaluable.
I did see that the latest guidebook was 2017 so assumed the info was probably a bit outdated.
I'm still in the curious, fact gathering stage. Due to

I realize it's Ireland and rain is a given, but which months might be a little less wet? And fewer vacationers? Or is that an impossible combination?🙂
, can't go anywhere for a while anyway. 😕
I walked the first 2 weeks of August - only had 4 really wet days - one so wet and windy (actually dangerous to walk some parts of the trail when the wind is blowing) that I just caught a taxi to my next stop and spent the day in a museum! It was fairly cold and windy at times (well.. by South African standards !) - but generally quite good hiking weather. It was not very crowded, but the accommodation is limited (unless things have changed in the last 3 years) For now I'll just look at my photos of my trip and plan my next Camino to Portugal - and as you said - can't go anywhere for now anyway!!

Trying to call the weather here in Ireland is nearly impossible - I would say that before May probably is going to be battling the weather - and from October onwards is the same. So May to October is probably the best bet... but there is still rain and wind! Apart from the section on the north coast much of the rest goes through less touristy areas, so you probably won;t be fighting the crowds anywhere. But travelling through less touristy areas means if you are relying on accomodation it is definitely more sparse...and I suspect some places may end up closed due to covid.

I walked the first 2 weeks of August - only had 4 really wet days - one so wet and windy (actually dangerous to walk some parts of the trail when the wind is blowing) that I just caught a taxi to my next stop and spent the day in a museum! It was fairly cold and windy at times (well.. by South African standards !) - but generally quite good hiking weather. It was not very crowded, but the accommodation is limited (unless things have changed in the last 3 years) For now I'll just look at my photos of my trip and plan my next Camino to Portugal - and as you said - can't go anywhere for now anyway!!
There are a few youtube videos of people who have covered the entire route - one under "Challenge your life" and another under "Tough soles" - there are others too I just remember these ones -definitely worth watching to get a sense.
To be honest the Irish Way is a mishmash of different existing routes and a few bits of connecting routes put together. I have some experience of parts of the Ulster Way - and just walked the Cavan Way and Leitrim Way recently. Its is a real mixed bag of some road walking, some scenic sections, some gravel forestry tracks, some through fields and open ground. The Guidebook is passable, some sections are definitely better signposted than others - but you will probably will want some other source of maps, and the guidebook is starting to get out of date in regards to accomodation (And the Leitrim Way is now re-opened and marked which the Guide advises to taxi past). The Ulster Way which I have some more familiarity with involves quite a bit of road walking - the issue is was that it was designed in mid-1970s when roads were way less busy - now there are several sections that are on busy roads, and there is advice on the Ulster Way website to skip some of these sections.
One final comment - I walked the Cavan and Leitrim Way in September and they were getting overgrown as due to Covid they hadn't been maintained this year. And talking to the ladies in Blacklion tourist office (on the border) their comment was that very few had walked this year - but to be honest very few walk the whole thing in a go...but as it is still a fairly "new" trail it is still gaining traction...so you will probably meet few other long-distance hikers but day-hikers and locals are friendly!
Okay - one more comment - there is a booklet to collect stamps - lots of villages have a specially designed stamp for it (there is a list of were they are available - sometimes in pub, shop etc)
Does anyone know if there is a business in Castletownbere that sells hiking gear..ie, trekking poles and tent stakes?
I'm wanting to do carry-on only.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not a town I know - but suspect getting hiking gear there may be difficult - its quite a small town. Depending where you are flying into and transport plans to Castletown it might be easier to find a stop on the way. I suspect if you are doing public transport you may well connect in Cork city and there are outdoors shops there. Alternatively, lots of places to stay in town, maybe contact to ask if they would accept a deliver for you if you had a night booked - several outdoors shops in Ireland have online shops.

Has anyone walked The Ireland Way lately? (1,000km/620 miles)
If so, could you share details..as in way marker coverage, accommodations; general infrastructure.
It sounds incredible and I'd love to have more personal observations about it.
Enjoy your planning. I have glanced only at some of the replies, and will say this about the weather: Yesterday, in Dublin, it was like a late Spring day. Beautiful. I might be mis-remembering though! Today, early, miserable and wet. It is brightening up though. We do not have fixed start times for the seasons. Yes, on paper. Since when did life follow regulations?! The editorial in the Irish Times this morning ends on a hopeful note :
These are traumatic, disorienting times. The coming weeks promise little respite. But even as we endure another national lockdown, there are at least some reasonable grounds to believe that an end to this global emergency is finally in sight.
So, as I began: enjoy your planning! 👣 👣

what are options to connect from Ireland to A Coruna? Is there a ferry?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
what are options to connect from Ireland to A Coruna? Is there a ferry?
Nearest flights from Dublin would be direct to Santiago or Santander.
There is also a weekly ferry Rosslare to Bilbao but not sure if this is operating currently.

Last edited:
Aw.. interesting!! Thank you very much!

The ferry from Rosslare to Bilbao is supposed to run all year by Brittany Ferries(I think even twice a week) and there maybe a seasonal ferry from Cork to Bilbao as well. However foot passengers are not currently being accepted for booking until March 2021. These routes are on their economy type ships as I suspect they are especially aimed at lorries (of even greater importance for supplies when the land bridge route via GB becomes problematic with Brexit)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good to know. I did the CdP this July, I think I can wait till 2021. Thank you so much for the info!

Thank you for posting all of this information on the Irish Camino. Someday, hopefully soon, I will start my Camino journey in Ireland, then on to the Camino Frances. I have family in Blacklion, so I'll have to look into that part of the trek. Buen Camino!

Thank you for posting all of this information on the Irish Camino. Someday, hopefully soon, I will start my Camino journey in Ireland, then on to the Camino Frances. I have family in Blacklion, so I'll have to look into that part of the trek. Buen Camino!
Valerie, I see you are retired.
From experience, I know that does not mean idle. Be sure to have a rest before undertaking the marathon journey you have ahead of you.
I wish you the trip of a lifetime, including the deep part, of leaving the bones of your parents in their original birth places...
Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Valerie, I see you are retired.
From experience, I know that does not mean idle. Be sure to have a rest before undertaking the marathon journey you have ahead of you.
I wish you the trip of a lifetime, including the deep part, of leaving the bones of your parents in their original birth places...
Buen camino.
Thank you. Your note brought tears to my heart. The last time I was in Ireland was in 2016 for the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising. Four generations came for the celebration with my mother, whose father was in the GPO and imprisoned in Kilmainham Gaol and Frongoch. You are so lucky to live in a slice of heaven on earth. 1734DD58-714C-4AE3-BC8F-33A959207740.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.