• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Jazz Man of Santiago de Compostela

D

Deleted member 67185

I was going through a few souvenirs that I had shipped home from SdC, and I found a couple of CDs that I had purchased from the JazzMan while he was performing near the Cathedral. I've had the chance to spend time talking with him in while in Santiago the last two years after finishing Camino. The guy has a great performance resume that includes working at clubs and as a recording studio guitarist (same as Glenn Campbell did before he became known and famous).

Anyway, it has been great to pop them into the CD transport, crank up the volume through the Bowers and Wilkins speakers, and just sit back, listen, and reminisce about SdC.

A couple of YouTube clips I tracked down of the guy performing in SdC. They do not do justice to his playing :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Forgive me @davebugg (Not my intention to highjack the focus of your thread) I only write this because I’ve always been curious. I've watched JazzMan several times and enjoyed his playing but wonder about his use of a black face mask. Perhaps if it were just a plain black mask, it might be assumed he just didn't want his identity known but it's the large red lips that turn it into a racist "minstrel show" image. When you talked with him did he make mention of it?

Last edited:
Forgive me @davebugg - I only write this because I’ve always been curious. I've watched him several times and enjoyed his playing but wonder about his use of a black face mask. Perhaps if it were just a plain black mask, it might be assumed he just didn't want his identity known but it's the large red lips that turn it into a racist "minstrel show" image. When you talked with him did he make mention of it?

Yes, I did. Being a Native American Indian, I was curious about it. However, he is not American, and what was clear as we spoke is that what is considered 'racist' does not have the same context culturally as it has in the States. His take on it is that he feels that the great jazz guitarists were African Americans.

I do not justify how he presents himself, nor do I agree with the mask, nor do I appreciate his talent any less because of it. He is not caucasian. Each person can make their own call.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That brought back some good memories Dave. Another guitarist I enjoyed back in 2016 and 2017 was Javier Pardo. He usually set up near the stairs on the back side of the cathedral. I did record him playing, but it is on another device. I did find a YouTube of one of his songs.
I did buy his CD in 2017.
I didn't see Javier either in 2018 or 2019 after my Camino's

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back