• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Jesus Trail

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Yes, there really is a trail called The Jesus Trail. It is a 65km trail that begins in Nazareth and passes through relevant sites including Zippori, Cana, Arbel Cliffs, Tabgha, and Capernaum, culminating at the Mount of Beatitudes.
An optional return route of equal distance passes through Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, Mount Precipice and returns to Nazareth.
The return route looping to the south adds an additional 3-5 days.

http://www.jesustrail.com/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
sillydoll said:
Yes, there really is a trail called The Jesus Trail.

Thanks - I've often thought about visiting Israel and walking in Christ's footsteps, and this would be the perfect way to do it. :arrow:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you want to be a real pioneer on a new trail, subscribe to the e-news of the Abraham Path initiative.
http://www.abrahampath.org
Individuals cannot walk it yet but they are considering taking a group of interested pilgrims on a guided trail.

Attachments

• Jesus Trail.jpg
    Jesus Trail.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,096
Up-date on The Jesus Trail

http://jesustrail.com/updates/blazing-t ... he-galilee

One year ago, the Jesus Trail, a Galilee pilgrimage hiking route, consisted of little more than a track of GPS points and an idea. Now, just one year later, the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel (SPNI) is marking the trail with painted blazes, hundreds of diverse hikers have come to hike the trail, and locals are launching business initiatives in preparation for an increase in hikers. As word spread about the trail in the past year, over 300 hikers have made their way to Nazareth to hike all or a portion of the trail. Many are taking advantage of free guiding on the first day of the trail provided by volunteers in Nazareth. An experienced pilgrimage hiker from South Africa came to experience the feel of the land and visit historical sites of the beaten track. One pastor from England came to pray from the high points of the trail. A group of four hiked the trail as part of a much larger trek from Germany to Israel. A conservative Mennonite family hiked the first day of the trail with their six children, including a 3-year-old. After running half the trail in one day, an American man reflected that his experience was, “quite surreal as [his] mind often drifted to the religious history [he] learned from the Bible.”

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Happy Christmas Sil,

I've booked flight and plan to walk at Easter. Only walking four days and then heading to Jerusalem.

Buen Camino, Brian

Brian, many of us will be so interested to have your impressions of the trail.

Now. go get 'em - or whatever one says to a Holy Land pilgrim.

Rob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How wonderful, Brian!
Have a happy and blessed Christmas and wishing everything that is good for the coming year.

Yeah Sil, bring it on. Rob you might get us the arabic or hebrew version of Buen Camino.
I know it can't be the Camino as walk is so short but everything (in the enviorment) will be new.
I have decided to treat the walking days just as those spent in Spain. Although I'll pass through very historic and important places I may not have the luxury of stopping.
Best wishes and strength to you Sil for 2012............so you can continue giving guidance and encouragement to all.

Happy New Year.

Hola Sil,
Opened up this thread to give you "a like" but it looks like it's not possible to back date ;). We have many fond memories of our short time in the Holy Land. Recently I got back from quiet rural Camino de Invierno where I encountered many similar situations. Local people would stop to speak, offer cool drinks, offer advice & "guardian angel phone numbers" AND invitations to stay for dinner plus siesta...................but hey, the way beckons.
Hopefully others will follow this trail in due course.
Buen Camino,
Brian.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, there really is a trail called The Jesus Trail. It is a 65km trail that begins in Nazareth and passes through relevant sites including Zippori, Cana, Arbel Cliffs, Tabgha, and Capernaum, culminating at the Mount of Beatitudes.
An optional return route of equal distance passes through Tiberias, the Jordan River, Mount Tabor, Mount Precipice and returns to Nazareth.
The return route looping to the south adds an additional 3-5 days.

http://www.jesustrail.com/

Prior to walking the Camino de Santiago, I walked the Jesus Trail in February of 2013. It was there I learned more of the Camino, and decided to settle matters at home in the states, not return to work for awhile, and press on to Spain. To think it began there, only to end in December upon reaching India. I am back at work now, but work now at my profession only to fund the next trek with the love of my life, who I met there in Israel. We have been travelling together ever since.

Below is an image taken from Mount Arbel on the Jesus Trail, overlooking the Sea of Galilee. The ruins of Mary's village of Magadela is below and to the right. Capernaum is straight ahead along the shore, as well as the Mount of Beatitudes. I slept there on the hill with my love for 5 days.
MeMountArbelIsraelFeb2013a_zps46001ca3.jpg

Last edited:
Just walked the Jesus Trail a couple of weeks ago and then returned to Nazareth on a loop. Very few walkers. In eight days, we only saw one walker on day 3, and 2 walkers on day 4. There was also a couple that walked the same time as us, but they always left later in the morning so only saw then in the evening. Accommodations are limited as is food. Not impressed the with guide book by Anna Dintaman and David Landis. It was a very interesting journey and we are glad we did it, but it just made us want to go back to Spain and walk.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
مرحبا that's just arabic for hello according to Google! Salam Alaikum or maybe it's salam a laikum. I'm not sure but Salem Lakum got human hearted genuine welcomes for me on a special walk after the Easter period. Everyone you meet loves to tell their story.
Buen Camino.​

I'm walking this trail from Nazareth this Sunday (21st Feb, 2016) with a group.

...enjoy the Trail, Hikoi! There are some fine moments between Nazareth and Cana ...wish I was there...
I followed the Jesus Trails in January, 2013. As I arrived in Cana I heard the sound of voices humming Mendelssohn’s Bridal March, Da-da-dada…. I looked through the side door of the Wedding Chapel and saw a bride & groom, a priest and a witness about to begin. No guests, no musicians-how-sad. So I pulled out my flute, waved it at the priest, he nodded, the couple grinned and suddenly, still covered in sweat and grime I was playing a pilgrim’s blessing. Afterwards we laughed and smiled. It was so spontaneous….

Cheers

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just back from finishing the Jesus Trail. And it was great, despite three days of intermittent rain and mud. And what mud! The sticky gluey type that adds centimetres to one's height and kilos to one's weight. By and large the trail is well marked, meandering around the Galilean countryside. The accomodation options are fine if somewhat limited and a wee bit expensive (to my tramper/hiker's mind). The friendliness of the locals was greatly appreciated. Leaving Cana uphill in a rainstorm (trekking umbrellas rule!) a man motioned us over to his quite impressive house for shelter. He and his daughter served us Arabian coffee - hot and bitter - on the verandah. Impressive hospitality that was greatly appreciated. That hospitality combined with the fabulous views, millennial history and spiritual significance make this a great trail. It's not challenging physically - the stages are short and one could short cut the marked trail by judicious study of the map. It's just great to be able to get off the tourist trail where so many run where Jesus walked - and actually walk!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back