• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Joy of Walking Alone

Yoga Girl

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016) Camino Portuguese
(2017) Ingles
(2018) Primitivo
This post made me even more excited to walk alone!
Geraldine walked the Camino Francés in 2013, and is currently recapping the experience on her blog.
“The Joy of Walking Alone” caught my attention because I plan to walk alone—to the bewilderment of my family and friends. Ger honestly discusses the initial fear she had, and the inevitable solace and camaraderie that the Camino provided. She relished it.
http://thecaminoprovides.com/2015/12/11/the-joy-of-walking-alone/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Geraldine walked the Camino Francés in 2013, and is currently recapping the experience on her blog.
“The Joy of Walking Alone” caught my attention because I plan to walk alone—to the bewilderment of my family and friends. Ger honestly discusses the initial fear she had, and the inevitable solace and camaraderie that the Camino provided. She relished it.
Hi Laurie , thank you for sharing.
My wife and I we both loved to walk the Camino Frances alone. It was a great experience. She walked in 2013 and I this year. And last year we walked a part together.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Walking alone is: I was going to say IS OUT OF THIS WORLD, but no it is really in this world now! Living now, seeing now, more than seeing observing details now. Discovering things for the first time in this very moment, being alive. Being grateful , singing with no words, joyfully smiling, weeping unable to put a finger on why.Perigrina b and me set off together but gradually she outpaces me, we love walking alone or is it walking alone we learn to love everything!DSC04739.078.JPG

Last edited:
Many of us here would find absolutely nothing bewildering about that, Laurie. It's a joy...to walk alone, in silence, opening to the mystery and magic that the Camino offers.

+1 and loving every moment of it, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Camino is not just the Way, it is also the Journey, ie part of our journey. A journey we all take and ultimately we must do that by ourselves. Yes we have lots of much needed help along the way but we must journey through life under our own steam at some point if we are to live this life to the full. I cannot think of a better way of journeying through this life than on the Camino by myself. Such freedom to have whatever experience the Camino brings to us. This can be the joy of solitude or the joy of fellowship. Our choice.

Walked two by myself, will be walking the third in 2016 by myself, but I never am alone I seem to talk to my wife and have a chat every time I see a castle a house or look down a winding path. My thoughts carry those that I love. But I enjoy that feeling of not having to keep up or stop and start to someone else's pace.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've walked five times, 17 weeks all told so far, of which 1-1/2 weeks had planned walking companions and an unplanned companion for a different 1-1/2 weeks. Walking alone can be a completely different, fulfilling, and satisfying experience. You can keep your own schedule for waking, walking, meals, and sleeping. You can stop where you are interested. You can enjoy quiet times of prayer and meditation. You can interact with the locals.

That being said, walking alone can also be a depressing, exhausting, frustrating grind. There is no one to backstop you on routefinding. No one to help with difficulties. No one to share the equipment burden (ie, guidebooks and first aid kit). No one to offer encouragement when you're feeling down.

Both are very valid modes of making the journey. Pilgrim, know thyself.

The nice thing about all the Caminos in Spain is that there are many variations to the tune "walk alone." On the Camino Frances, at least if you are walking in spring, summer, or fall, "walking alone" means that although you may not have someone at your side, you will probably always have someone in sight and will never be far from a cafe or town. So if you are looking for a total disconnection and solitude, that would not be the way to go.

Some caminos have fewer people than the Frances, but are heavily traveled nonetheless, so there is more of a chance for hours alone (Norte, Primitivo, Vdlp). Other caminos offer a solitary walk, caminos where you will not meet another pilgrim for days and days, but you will almost always be within shouting distance of some human being (Levante, Madrid). Still others are even more remote, but you can always be assured that you'll find human habitation at the end of the day (Olvidado, Vadiniense, Invierno). But if you are looking for something like the Appalachian Trail or the Pacific Crest Trail, where you walk in wilderness for days, you will not find that on any Camino I know of. When I walk on the Camino Frances, I enjoy the companionship, but I also love the solitary caminos where there is no one else around and it's just me, my god, and the natural beauty.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had an amazing mystical time of it walking alone. I felt free, joy, rage, loneliness, lost, found. When all hope was completly lost, I found an unwavering, profound presence of God. I had walking companions here and there. I even found another ukulele player for a bit and we sang in churches together along the way. Oh, then there was Jacob. He was the young German kid walking with his trombone. He and I also played together a few times. I met sages, teachers, philosophers and other eccentrics. I even found some sweet, sweet, lovin' wink, wink, nudge, nudge. I NEVER expected that to happen.
Walking alone, I had neither my or anyone else's agenda to impede my journey. As such I was totally open to what the Universe had in store for me. Walk alone and savor it...

I just let things be. You shouldn't plan these things in advance.

If I happen to walk with good friends, so be it. If I walked alone, again, I was happy. I haven't intentionally walked any Camino with the purpose of being alone. That said..it is nice, but I value social interaction too.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am very fond of walking alone some days, at the start of my pilgrimages. After some time with my own thoughts and memories (most of them -but not all- good) my mind is clearer, I feel refreshed and ready for enjoying company again. So, this year I decided to do the Piedmont way in October, knowing beforehand that it would be magnificent, but very lonely. It was good, with long solo walks -8 to 10 hours with nowhere in sight- but meeting with other pilgrims for dinner in the albergues. I was the only one walking alone, so some fellow pilgrims used to help me with practical issues and I noticed that they were watching for my arrivals. And some people along the way came to talk to me when I was having a rest in the town squares, or stopped their cars to give me some advices or directions -and I think it was because I was alone. It was nice, a very "Camino" experience.
The downside: a couple of times, facing a difficult trail with probable bad weather, I decided to go by the easier, less interesting roads, because I was afraid that I would be in trouble if I had some problem or walking in the hills after sunset (I am a quite slow walker...). I arrived well, but I felt a bit dissatisfied.

Thanks for that, I look forward to reading it. I will set off alone on April Fools Day of 2016, right now my fears and concerns just revolve around my search for footwear, I haven't had any time to look at any internal concerns!

I am very fond of walking alone some days, at the start of my pilgrimages. After some time with my own thoughts and memories (most of them -but not all- good) my mind is clearer, I feel refreshed and ready for enjoying company again. So, this year I decided to do the Piedmont way in October, knowing beforehand that it would be magnificent, but very lonely. It was good, with long solo walks -8 to 10 hours with nowhere in sight- but meeting with other pilgrims for dinner in the albergues. I was the only one walking alone, so some fellow pilgrims used to help me with practical issues and I noticed that they were watching for my arrivals. And some people along the way came to talk to me when I was having a rest in the town squares, or stopped their cars to give me some advices or directions -and I think it was because I was alone. It was nice, a very "Camino" experience.
The downside: a couple of times, facing a difficult trail with probable bad weather, I decided to go by the easier, less interesting roads, because I was afraid that I would be in trouble if I had some problem or walking in the hills after sunset (I am a quite slow walker...). I arrived well, but I felt a bit dissatisfied.
I have those late walking concerns also. I think that may be my biggest fear, being a slow walker, out there alone, it's getting dark, wondering how far I have still to go before a place to stay for the night. Any advice on how to calm those fears? Anyone?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
All, thanks for sharing your perspectives. I am excited to walk alone because I know the Camino will provide. With that said, I will feel safer with my mobile phone and a whistle on my backpack's chest strap. I have also ordered a small personal safety device called Roar which I will review in a future post.

I have those late walking concerns also. I think that may be my biggest fear, being a slow walker, out there alone, it's getting dark, wondering how far I have still to go before a place to stay for the night. Any advice on how to calm those fears? Anyone?
Gypsywind, If you book your bed ahead, you won't have to worry. A couple I met who just finished Frances in May said it completely changed their Camino experience. They would ask the current albergue owner to reserve a bed at an albergue at their next stop. They just wrote their names clearly. For their next Camino they'll have this pre-printed on a small piece of paper with blank lines for date and albergue name.
Also, study the day's route so you have an idea if the terrain, gain, and villages along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Mantra is key when you are trying to calm a frightened mind.

Be prepared with at least one.

“Take a course of good water and air, and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you.”

John Muir, 1888

Do be prepared though. For example, when I walked the CF recently--October through mid November--there were several people who befell mishaps along the way, falls that led to sprains and breaks. This I would consider harm! Take walking poles. Be fit. Be a well-practiced walker, and don't be afraid to listen to your inner voice if it tells you that today might not be a walking day.

I love the romanticism of the John Muir quotation, and incidentally--love him and all he stands for, but take all such advice with a practical grain of sol (salt ;))

there are many variations to the tune "walk alone."
I agree with peregrina in this respect. I have trekked the Camino and many trails through out the world and usually with at least one travel partner, but seldom walking together. Yes, often you are at the same pace or want to discuss some logistical topic or just need some companionship. However, I find that we all have a normal walking pace, a rhythm. That pace will change somewhat day to day (biorhythms I guess). But different paces, if you don't force yourselves to walk together, lead to "walking alone" even when in a group. I may be 100 meters or a half kilometer ahead or behind the group, completely in my own little world, in walking meditation, enjoying the view.
Hope this makes sense.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I couldn't imagine walking WITH someone! :) Though next year I have too :eek:

Laurie, When I did my first Camino... it wasn't my decision. A dear friend literally pushed me into it. I was probably the WORST pilgrim EVER during the first week asking myself "have I really gone MAD?? What am I doing here"??? But as I went along, met and talked to many others, I began to FEEL the difference and then... at the end of the CF, I didn't want to go home !! I have enjoyed solitude and the fantastic companionship of other pilgrims. Some have become FRIENDS... for life. "Camino Magic"...?? Oh yes.. it exists. Buen Camino :)

I came to my first Camino alone and was glad that I did. That enabled me to walk with others when there was chemistry, and by myself when I felt like it. On Camino Frances during the season there is always a choice.

The only disadvantage of going alone is that there is nobody back home to reminisce about your experiences.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always travel alone because I like to go at my own pace, I like to linger at interesting places, I like to make my own mistakes. I'll be walking the Camino alone but look forward to meeting people along the way. Two people I know have already expressed interest in going with me but there is no way I will do that.

I spent a total of about 4 weeks in Italy and Spain this year, mostly walking. I realized later that it was like going on a silent retreat. I was on my own and I know only the bare basics of Italian and almost no Spanish, so when I spoke it was only for the basic necessities of transport, accommodation and food. I only had one fluent conversation all that time.... and I'll have to admit that I would have welcomed a little bit more conversation than that. That won't be a problem on the Camino.

[QUOTE

/QUOTE]

I think that family and friends probably don't understand the difference between doing something independently and doing something with no one near by.

Last year I bicycled the Seattle to Portland 205 mile bicycle ride without going with any friends or family. I hardly felt alone being on the road with nearly 10,000 other bicyclists. Still there were times, briefly where I was on a stretch of road or trail and didn't see anyone else. But was that really being alone? I don't think so.

A few years ago, I was on a bus from Santiago to Porto that was full of pilgrims. Even though they didn't know each other they got into fantastic discussions with each other about how the Camino changed them and provided for them. Even thought they didn't know each other they were friends.

To me doing the Camino independently will not be "alone." There is a real infrastructure and at least during the high season, people will be in sight or within a few minutes, should one need support or help. The Camino infrastructure and fellow pilgrims will make any Camino anything but "alone."

There will be time for solitude, but also lots of time to share with others who you don't know but are sharing a common goal/struggle.

Thank you for that !! As my excitement increases, my fear decreases!!! I have my boots & Socks & Fleece, now looking at backpacks and sleeping bags. Anyone know of a good source for affordable travelers bags (the combo sleeping bag/ blanket.)?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
T....now looking at backpacks and sleeping bags. Anyone know of a good source for affordable travelers bags (the combo sleeping bag/ blanket.)?

There are two real approaches based on your pocket book. One recommendation would be to find the most comfortable backpack that fits you and the amount of gear you intend to take. More gear requires more substantial shoulder and hip straps to carry the weight. So in some respects the backpack should be your last purchase.

The other way is to choose a class of gear. I have done ultra light backpacking and the Go Light backpacks are about as light as are comfortable, from my perspective. They can be found on Amazon and E-bay. I bought mine in a mall outlet store near Palm Springs. For ultra light backpacking an essential element is an electronic postal or food scale to weigh everything.

As to sleeping bag/blanket, there are some other threads on that. In making my decision on that element of my gear, I will be going at a time of year when it isn't the coldest and I will have warm clothes that I can sleep in within my "sack." I am going to take a thermal sleeping bag liner, as it is very light, and very compact, so it will not require a lot of space.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/ultralight-backpacking.html

Still, I am going to go by bike not on foot. Good luck and enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It depends on where are you walking. In the Frances you are almost never really alone -sometimes it seems so, but you stop for a rest or a coffee and you will be surprised about how many people were a short distance behind you. It is completely another thing late in the winter, or in less traveled routes, especially mountainous ones. Safety becomes a primary concern (I probably would not have felt this way twenty years ago, but with time I became painfully aware that human bodies are wonderful, but not invulnerable).
These times I carry a cell phone (I usually avoid them), study carefully my journey in advance, made sure others fellow pilgrims know my plans, and avoid (if possible) too risky paths when there is bad weather. This may sound as a lot of fun killer, but after a while it becomes routine.
And, in diffcult moments, I remember what an hospitalero told me: "Don't worry, Saint James tend his flock as a good sheperd". And really, sometimes, it seems so.

Unfortunately GoLite has gone out of business :(

Surprised and sorry to hear that. I was never one who could use their packs because my lower back needs the support of an internal frame, but I know there were lots of people who swore by their ultra-light products.

The little bit I've read about their bankruptcy proceedings suggests that the problem was an over-ambitious expansion into retail stores and making the decision to expand into casual clothing. As someone with absolutely no entrepreneurial skills, I am frequently surprised when what looks like a solid company bites the dust.

All, thanks for sharing your perspectives. I am excited to walk alone because I know the Camino will provide. With that said, I will feel safer with my mobile phone and a whistle on my backpack's chest strap. I have also ordered a small personal safety device called Roar which I will review in a future post.
Be careful not to project too much fear...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I can't wait to be there walking alone. I have never done something like the Camino before, but I have traveled alone a lot. I love the feeling of arriving in a foreign country where I don't know anyone and I am completely on my own.

I can't wait to be there walking alone. I have never done something like the Camino before, but I have traveled alone a lot. I love the feeling of arriving in a foreign country where I don't know anyone and I am completely on my own.
You will be right at home ratyoke, BUT....should you reach a point where you find yourself wanting a bit t of company, they will appear. Wish you Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back