• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The July experience of Camino Portuges, Coastal

Hi Laurie,
After a number of life challenges, I booked my flights a couple of weeks ago for my daughter and myself. Unfortunately my husband is no longer able to come. We will be leaving from Porto on the 8th Oct at this stage! I don't know if perhaps you have already gone, but if not please get in touch if you are planning on being there around the same time. If not, I would love to hear about your trip! I did consider because I am now going with my daughter that perhaps we should stick with the central route, but we talked about it today and decided to stick to my orginal plan!

Planning will kick into high gear now!! Any more information on this route from anyone would be most welcome!

So sorry to be delayed in responding. I just now logged in and saw your post! Wouldn't it be fun to walk together? I should be completed by Oct 8, however. I will begin my walk about two weeks from this Wednesday. I hope you do stick to the coastal route. I think it will be the most rewarding. I'm going to do it as best as I can as well.

I'm a bit confused as last night I began to think that 10 days is just not long enough, so perhaps I would do the whole Portuguese route. But 3 weeks is too long! If I could find a two-week route, that sounds perfect for a first-timer. So then I thought on switching to the French route and start somewhere a couple of weeks out. BUT, that places most of my time in Galacia, which I understand is the rainy party of Spain. Yikes.

I know it sounds crazy that I would be second-guessing what I've planned, but that's so like me. So I decided on this...I'll walk the Porto-Santiago, and if I just have to have more, I'll travel to some other place on one of the Caminos and walk more :) (Not likely, though. I believe I'll be ready to rest!)

Are you staying visiting in Europe after the walk or going home? I'm staying on to visit a little. That means I also have to figure out how to get the rest of my things which I'm bringing but not carrying along the Camino to Santiago.

I need a travel agent!!

Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
...."I also have to figure out how to get the rest of my things which I'm bringing but not carrying along the Camino to Santiago."

Laurie,

As a possible solution to your luggage problem check out this useful Forum thread describing Ivar's holding service in Santiago. >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

Bom Caminho,

Margaret Meredith

So sorry to be delayed in responding. I just now logged in and saw your post! Wouldn't it be fun to walk together? I should be completed by Oct 8, however. I will begin my walk about two weeks from this Wednesday. I hope you do stick to the coastal route. I think it will be the most rewarding. I'm going to do it as best as I can as well.

I'm a bit confused as last night I began to think that 10 days is just not long enough, so perhaps I would do the whole Portuguese route. But 3 weeks is too long! If I could find a two-week route, that sounds perfect for a first-timer. So then I thought on switching to the French route and start somewhere a couple of weeks out. BUT, that places most of my time in Galacia, which I understand is the rainy party of Spain. Yikes.

I know it sounds crazy that I would be second-guessing what I've planned, but that's so like me. So I decided on this...I'll walk the Porto-Santiago, and if I just have to have more, I'll travel to some other place on one of the Caminos and walk more :) (Not likely, though. I believe I'll be ready to rest!)

Are you staying visiting in Europe after the walk or going home? I'm staying on to visit a little. That means I also have to figure out how to get the rest of my things which I'm bringing but not carrying along the Camino to Santiago.

I need a travel agent!!

Laurie
Hi Laurie
Good luck! We have planned 14 days of walking at this stage and today started booking accommodation for the part of the trip before we leave - the 9th now it seems. We decided to have an extra day in Porto before we leave. I know what you mean about second guessing though! We have been wondering if we should change back to the central route, but decided again today to stick with the coastal route. We have also been wondering if we should book accommodation for the walk or just take info on places to stay and go with the flow...

We will be spending another week and a half in Spain and will have a couple of days on Paris before we fly home! We spent the day going through our gear - trying to work out what of our normal hiking gear to take and what different things we will need. We are also trying to work out if we should hike with all our gear or send some ahead. At this stage we are thinking of just keeping it light and maybe doing a little shopping when we finish walking! :)

You must be getting excited now... We are now! I hope you have a great trip and if you get a chance to send any updates along the way they would be appreciated!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers
Ella

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
nwlaurieb
Ella_leah

I haven't walked the Portugese coast but have walked from Tui to Santiago de Compostela ( July 2004 and June 2013). From this limited experience I would suggest that accommodation should not be a problem, and I found the private Villa San Clemente in Tui excellent, we would have stayed in the municiapl Albergue but it was full.
Albergue in O Porrino is wonderful, as were those in Redondela, Pontevedra, and Teo.
I look forward to your updates and wish you ( a slightly envious..) Bom Camihno !

nwlaurieb
Ella_leah

I haven't walked the Portugese coast but have walked from Tui to Santiago de Compostela ( July 2004 and June 2013). From this limited experience I would suggest that accommodation should not be a problem, and I found the private Villa San Clemente in Tui excellent, we would have stayed in the municiapl Albergue but it was full.
Albergue in O Porrino is wonderful, as were those in Redondela, Pontevedra, and Teo.
I look forward to your updates and wish you ( a slightly envious..) Bom Camihno !
Thank you, Steven. You've been helpful & encouraging!

Laurie

Hi Laurie
Good luck! We have planned 14 days of walking at this stage and today started booking accommodation for the part of the trip before we leave - the 9th now it seems. We decided to have an extra day in Porto before we leave. I know what you mean about second guessing though! We have been wondering if we should change back to the central route, but decided again today to stick with the coastal route. We have also been wondering if we should book accommodation for the walk or just take info on places to stay and go with the flow...

We will be spending another week and a half in Spain and will have a couple of days on Paris before we fly home! We spent the day going through our gear - trying to work out what of our normal hiking gear to take and what different things we will need. We are also trying to work out if we should hike with all our gear or send some ahead. At this stage we are thinking of just keeping it light and maybe doing a little shopping when we finish walking! :)

You must be getting excited now... We are now! I hope you have a great trip and if you get a chance to send any updates along the way they would be appreciated!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Cheers
Ella
Hi again Ella: Oh I understand the internal debates you are having! I encourage you to stay with the coastal route. Everything I've read says it's worth it. And that the signs will keep trying to pull you East away from the water, so watch out!

I have received some wonderful information about specifics of this route - recent information. If you would like it, send me a private message, and I'm glad to share it.

Shopping sounds fun! I've heard only wonderful things about Portugal and the Portuguese people, so you will most likely have the time of your lives buying things! I certainly should plan to shop, too.

Yes, I'm excited. I bet you & your daughter are, too! My plan for being there is to Tweet, and that's it. I'm committed to staying off the Internet as much as possible. I really need this time to decompress :)

Cheers to you both and to the three of us for a fun-filled adventure!

Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...."I also have to figure out how to get the rest of my things which I'm bringing but not carrying along the Camino to Santiago."

Laurie,

As a possible solution to your luggage problem check out this useful Forum thread describing Ivar's holding service in Santiago. >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/

Bom Caminho,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you, Margaret. I just emailed them. I love the idea of supporting a local business!

Cheers,
Laurie

Hi everyone, Thanks so much for the information on this thread. My daughter and I are in Porto and will start walking the Coastal route tomorrow. We are really looking forward to pulling on the boots and heading out! I am blogging the trip here in case anyone is interested www.ellaleah.wordpress.com . Johnny Walker if there is anything in particular you would like us to get information for your guide let me know!

cheers
Ella

Hi everyone, Thanks so much for the information on this thread. My daughter and I are in Porto and will start walking the Coastal route tomorrow. We are really looking forward to pulling on the boots and heading out! I am blogging the trip here in case anyone is interested www.ellaleah.wordpress.com . Johnny Walker if there is anything in particular you would like us to get information for your guide let me know!

cheers
Ella
Bom Caminho hope you have a wonderful time . You might like to consider the Monastery at Herbon as a stop, slightly off the camino , but only 2.5km.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back