• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Kerry Way

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have walked the Dingle Way aka The Kerry Camino- Tralee to Camp-Camp to Annascaul and Annascaul to Dingle, over 3 different days though, it's on my doorstep quiet literally passing by my house so I find it hard to justify taking 3 days off for it. However a beautiful walk , but again nothing in between the towns you need to bring a packed lunch and have a good breakfast. The weather at present would be ideal, I can't guarantee every September would be as good but definitely put it on your to do list! Book places in advance also :)

I have walked the Dingle Way aka The Kerry Camino- Tralee to Camp-Camp to Annascaul and Annascaul to Dingle, over 3 different days though, it's on my doorstep quiet literally passing by my house so I find it hard to justify taking 3 days off for it. However a beautiful walk , but again nothing in between the towns you need to bring a packed lunch and have a good breakfast. The weather at present would be ideal, I can't guarantee every September would be as good but definitely put it on your to do list! Book places in advance also :)

Aha..one of the sacrifices I have to make by walking in Ireland I'm afraid. Accommodation needs to be booked. I have spoken to a few people who have walked the Dingle Way. I'm hoping to walk a bit longer. What I'm looking at Killarney to Glencar to Cahirciveen down to Sneem, and up to Kenmare and finish off in Killarney. Ten days is perfect. Sure you know yourself the weather here is unpredictable at best so I will plan for all occasions. This day a few years back it was snowing in Ireland..look at it today :) Thanks for your help!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Aha..one of the sacrifices I have to make by walking in Ireland I'm afraid. Accommodation needs to be booked. I have spoken to a few people who have walked the Dingle Way. I'm hoping to walk a bit longer. What I'm looking at Killarney to Glencar to Cahirciveen down to Sneem, and up to Kenmare and finish off in Killarney. Ten days is perfect. Sure you know yourself the weather here is unpredictable at best so I will plan for all occasions. This day a few years back it was snowing in Ireland..look at it today :) Thanks for your help!
Sounds Idyllic, the Kerry routes are getting very popular, lots of ppl with back packs walking by all summer, kinda kept me on Camino. :)

Sounds Idyllic, the Kerry routes are getting very popular, lots of ppl with back packs walking by all summer, kinda kept me on Camino. :)

That's what I'm hoping it will do for me. Aiming for an September / October return to Spain next year. The Kerry Way will bridge the gap :) Might even wear my Dublin jersey haha!

My wife and I walked from Killarney to Sneem this pass August. The scenery was beautiful. People were very friendly and helpful. We stay at B&Bs along the way which were pre booked by a tour company. We found the walk was much more difficult than walking the Camino. We had rain for part of the day every day. The trails are very well marked. The trails were quite wet and boggy and some part were very muddy. Even with all the poor conditions we had a great adventure. We did not meet many other walkers on the trail. Is we seen 6 walkers a day it was unusual. Make sure you have a good pair of water proof boots and good rain gear.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife and I walked from Killarney to Sneem this pass August. The scenery was beautiful. People were very friendly and helpful. We stay at B&Bs along the way which were pre booked by a tour company. We found the walk was much more difficult than walking the Camino. We had rain for part of the day every day. The trails are very well marked. The trails were quite wet and boggy and some part were very muddy. Even with all the poor conditions we had a great adventure. We did not meet many other walkers on the trail. Is we seen 6 walkers a day it was unusual. Make sure you have a good pair of water proof boots and good rain gear.

Thanks for this. It's very helpful. I'll most certainly book ahead but there are some good hostels in Killarney, Black Valley and Kenmare (I think?) I will stay in. Other than that, I'll gladly stay in B&Bs. It is certainly more challenging than the Camino. I received a great guide book on Friday and on flicking through it, it gives great tips on packing lists and the kind of terrain. Thanks again!

@Cailin O Eire -

My wife and another couple were at the pre-planning stage of walking the Dingle Way in the first two weeks of May 2016. Just today, I am ordering a guidebook on it, in fact. However, we all know that guide books do not tell us everything!

Would it be okay if I PM'd you with a few questions in the future? (I promise not to be a pest, I tend to be a thorough researcher before I ask for advice so as to not waste an expert's time.)

B

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Cailin O Eire -

My wife and another couple were at the pre-planning stage of walking the Dingle Way in the first two weeks of May 2016. Just today, I am ordering a guidebook on it, in fact. However, we all know that guide books do not tell us everything!

Would it be okay if I PM'd you with a few questions in the future? (I promise not to be a pest, I tend to be a thorough researcher before I ask for advice so as to not waste an expert's time.)

B
Of Course, No problem I will happily share any local knowledge with you. It's stunning!
Talk soon
Rita

Thank you very much @Cailin O Eire !

I shall be in touch when I have questions boiled down to the essential few where my researches leave me unclear. Your offer of help is most appreciated!

B

Paudie and Liam Kerry Way Ultra.jpg Hi Clearskies, I have to declare my bias as I'm a Kerry woman but the Kerry Way is a cracking route. I've walked the Coast to Coast which links up with the Kerry way (Wicklow Way- South Leinster Way-East Munster Way-Blackwater/Avondu Way- Blackwater/Duhallow Way - Kerry way) and can honestly say that, while all the above marked ways are gorgeous, the KW is the jewel in the crown. I found The Kerry Way by Sandra Bardwell part of Rucksack Readers series to be handy (and waterproof!) used in conjunction with the relevant OS maps. Taking the inland option between Waterville and Caherdaniel over the Windy gap is, if you get the weather, breathtaking (literally and metaphorically)
If you dates are end of August early Sept than by taking the coastal option you might be lucky and able to get out to Skellig Michael from Bunawalla harbour which is practically 'en route' (lies just north of Derrynane and there's an old Mass path from Bunawalla to Derrynane…and the pub). If you do decide to try this then Nancy Moran at Moran's Farm house is the place to stay and Nancy will look after you and fix you up with John Lar the boatman who sails out from Bunawalla to the Rock. But you'd need to book in advance. Derrynane is a Dark Skies reserve so that's another treat in store for you! If you have any questions feel free to ask. The two beardy lads in the photo are my nephews Paudie and Liam Spillane who ran the Kerry Way Ultra in 48 hours a few weeks ago. They're hardy lads ….and yes I'm bragging here ;).

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.