• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The last 100 km traffic report!

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, 2023; CI 2019; CP 2022, 2023
I am now 60 km from Santiago on a Sat evening, enjoying a marvelous week of 23 degree afternoons with no rain in sight. I am finding that weekends are much busier, especially Fri and Sat, and would recommend either arriving before early pm to get a bed or call ahead the night before. I also find there are more beds available by phone, as not all available beds are listed on booking.com.

We were passed by a group of 50 university students from Italy, I imagine they will have quite an impact on bed availability. Also crossed paths off and on with a family of 4, with a 4 year old and 6 month old, who seem to acquire a new "abuela" everywhere they stop!

Life is good, as I manage with my shattered ankle. I am excited and blessed to be here!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am now 60 km from Santiago on a Sat evening, enjoying a marvelous week of 23 degree afternoons with no rain in sight. I am finding that weekends are much busier, especially Fri and Sat, and would recommend either arriving before early pm to get a bed or call ahead the night before. I also find there are more beds available by phone, as not all available beds are listed on booking.com.

We were passed by a group of 50 university students from Italy, I imagine they will have quite an impact on bed availability. Also crossed paths off and on with a family of 4, with a 4 year old and 6 month old, who seem to acquire a new "abuela" everywhere they stop!

Life is good, as I manage with my shattered ankle. I am excited and blessed to be here!
As one with a recently doubly shattered ankle, who am currently feeling that camino days are finished, can I ask how long it took you to get back to full walking strength?

As one with a recently doubly shattered ankle, who am currently feeling that camino days are finished, can I ask how long it took you to get back to full walking strength?
It has taken me 2 years,and I am only doing 13 km/day, and my right knee is weaker than the left and definitely complains more on the down hill stretches. It took 15 months before I could do even a 3 mile hike. But it gets better. Take good care of your ankle and you should be back on the trail! Fortunately for me, because they kept me non-weight-bearing for so long, all the ligaments healed very strongly. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tonight we are at 47 km out, the only Americans in a hostel only half full as of 5 pm. Today I walked for long stretches by myself. It's the end of the weekend and the weekend-trippers are going home.

We are in Azura tonight and passed and the Italian students a couple of times since Sarria. We finally got off their walking pace. Today was pretty quiet

@Jbirk, we lunched in Arzua today. Watch out for Father Steve and his 3 young men from Alabama, they were also in Arzua last night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked with one of the young men yesterday. I’m sorry I can’t remember his name. I also went to mass with them last night

It has taken me 2 years,and I am only doing 13 km/day, and my right knee is weaker than the left and definitely complains more on the down hill stretches. It took 15 months before I could do even a 3 mile hike. But it gets better. Take good care of your ankle and you should be back on the trail! Fortunately for me, because they kept me non-weight-bearing for so long, all the ligaments healed very strongly. Buen camino!
Oh, bless you for your answer. The surgeon (who pinned and plated the fractures) wanted me to be weight-bearing very quickly, and so the much-damaged ligaments and tendons didn't get much chance, and are still painful. But I can hobble well with hiking poles for an hour at a time. patience is not my strong point!

I arrived in Santiago on Wednesday, May 23. We stayed off the Brierley stages particularly from Sarria on. The last few days we saw very few pilgrims and then on our final day into Santiago from Lavacolla it seemed that pilgrims appeared in hordes. Where did they all come from?
Just an FYI for future planners, the week of May 1st Spanish National Holiday it was very crowded and accommodations were difficult to find coming out of Burgos. I was able to secure only a private room by calling ahead 30+km from Burgos and they were completo by noon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Galicia it's not uncommon for local groups do sections of the camino on weekends. An article I read this week told of one municipality that organized such a walk. Starting last October, people from the area had walked the Camino in stages from O Cebreiro on various Saturdays, with as many as 100 people participating as they walked the final stage into Santiago last week. It didn't seem that folks like this would probably staying in albergues since they only walk on Saturdays, but certainly would contribute to the feel of traffic on the way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back