• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"The Last Jew"

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
On the VDLP, I visited several medieval Jewish quarters, including Hervas and Cordoba. Since returning home, I've been reading "The Last Jew" by Noah Gordon. This concerns the expulsion of Jews from Spain in 1492. The hero travels all around Spain in disguise. This book is highly recommended if you are a fan of historical fiction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting that you would call it historical fiction, the families of those dispossessed might think differently.

Interesting that you would call it historical fiction, the families of those dispossessed might think differently.
It IS historical fiction, by definition. The characters are fictional (created by the author), but they are put in setting that is described in a way that is generally consistent with historical fact. However, the author may play with historical details a bit, so it cannot be relied as a non-fiction history book. For example, does anyone really know if King Whoever actually had that conversation with his mistress on that day? Or a rainy day might be invented for some date in history, in order to help the author with the story line.

The term "historical fiction" in no way suggests that the historical context is a fabrication. Au contraire - the historical context is generally true but the details of the characters' lives and conversations are invented, and the historical details may also be adjusted for convenience.

The families of the dispossessed would surely prefer that we understand what is fact and what is fiction. There is a valuable role for both, but it is good to understand the distinction.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many of the Sephardi Jews from Spain ended up in Istanbul, where they prospered. It is quite strange to hear people in Istanbul speaking a version of Spanish called Ladino on the streets. They are quite happy to show you round their Synagogue. There are also Sephardis in Gibralter, which may have made them the only legal Jews in the Iberian peninsular for a period of time.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back