• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The last priests left Herbon -- but they are back!

peregrina2000

Staff member
EDIT on Jan. 26, 2017 -- as this old thread has popped up again, I've edited the title to reflect the current status as of 2017. The albergue will be open in 2017. I don't have any updated information on the status of the priests, but haven't heard anything to suggest that they have left for a second time. Buen camino, Laurie

I have received this news from a friend who has been a hospitalera at Herbon several times.
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2013/07/31/ ... 91115.html

The last two Franciscan priests will leave the monastery immediately, and the future of the albergue is unknown at this time. AGACS, the Galician Friends group that runs the albergue, apparently plans to continue staffing the albergue until further notice. The article linked above describes nastiness and conflicts between those who want to turn the monastery into a luxury hotel and those who wanted to preserve it as a BIC (bien de interes cultural -- roughly translated as a "culturally significant place"). The government's refusal to classify it now apparently means that its days as a monastery are numbered.

I don't think many forum members have taken the short detour from Padron to this albergue, but everyone I know who has stayed there has always described it as "magical", etc.

So, the clock is ticking, get thee to the monastery before it's too late!

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The famous "pimientos de padron" (peppers of Padron) were introduced by the priests in this monastery when they brought them back from the New World.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's sad whent this monetary things goes over things like National History, Patrimony and Culture. We have the same problem here in Portugal, the Government tends to look more for the monetary purposes of the thing, than to the common sense.

And it's stupid, because we all know that we should conserve this "little" pieces of our past.

Best Regards
Diogo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a visitor to Padron for some years and the first grower in the UK of Pimientos de Padron in 2004, I am so, so sad to learn of this news. I wish more could be done to protect this beautiful, peaceful and historic location - is no where safe any longer? Below, a photograph of our crops growing and our Padrons -

Attachments

• pdp16.07.2005.jpg
    pdp16.07.2005.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 42
  • PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 42
Oh, Shelley, if I lived in the UK, I'd beat a path to your door. I love these peppers. One of my favorite places in Santiago to eat them is the Bodeguilla de San Roque, http://www.labodeguilladesanroque.com/ Turns out they opened a second venue that is also in the link -- it's right on the way into Santiago on the Frances, not too long after entering town. But I've never eaten there.

I have heard no more news about this, but I believe the albergue is still open even though that can't be a sustainable situation with the rest of the monastery empty. Laurie

Oh, Shelley, if I lived in the UK, I'd beat a path to your door. I love these peppers. One of my favorite places in Santiago to eat them is the Bodeguilla de San Roque, http://www.labodeguilladesanroque.com/ Turns out they opened a second venue that is also in the link -- it's right on the way into Santiago on the Frances, not too long after entering town. But I've never eaten there.

I have heard no more news about this, but I believe the albergue is still open even though that can't be a sustainable situation with the rest of the monastery empty. Laurie

haha - you and the 12000 who used to view our website each month!!! They are still 'my babies' and this weekend we shall be enjoying a massive plate of them!! They are very precious to me and so is the name Padron and the Monastary - I am just so, so sad. I've not eaten at la bodeguilla de San Roque but hope they carry on serving the delightful dish! Thank you for your lovely comments Laurie!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a visitor to Padron for some years and the first grower in the UK of Pimientos de Padron in 2004, I am so, so sad to learn of this news. I wish more could be done to protect this beautiful, peaceful and historic location - is no where safe any longer? Below, a photograph of our crops growing and our Padrons -
Perhaps we are the first growers of Piementos de Padrón in Costa Rica! Adriaan bought back seeds with him this May. The little plants are now about 50cms high and are just beginning to show their first tiny fruits! We leave for Spain on 17th Sept, so I guess that by the time they are ready to eat, we will be walking the Camino Primitivo! However, after the Primitivo we will walk thePortugués from Porto, so, at least once in Galicia, we can enjoy them there! Anne

I regret not diverting to the monastery in June this year, there were posters promoting it all along the CP.
Shelley, that's quite a greenhouse you have there! For those of us with a vegetable patch in the UK, are they possible to grow outdoors or only undercover ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One more update from the Amigos Galegos who run this albergue. They are working on the "full steam ahead" model -- they have their full contingent of hospitaleros for this year, and communal dinner and breakfast are always served.

The albergue does close for the season on October 30 but if anyone goes by before then, consider taking the extra 2 kms for this opportunity to stay in the monastery with dedicated volunteer hospitaleros.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I stayed there a few days ago - it was MAGICAL! What a relief after a long hard Caminho! I really hope the albergue continues, because it is a true resting place, and if it were a fancy hotel the likes of me would never be able to afford it!

Thanks, lauriejean, posts like yours may encourage others to take the short detour to visit this very special place. I'm assuming there were no masses or vespers or anything like that, now that the priests are gone. Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
lauriejean,

thanks for that, I'm now kicking myself for not turning right back in June when I passed that way. delighted you enjoyed your experience.

The Franciscans have decided to keep on keeping on at Herbon after all, according to Judit from AGACS, the Galician Amigos group that staffs the albergue. Three new friars are there now, she says, "keeping the candles lit and the wolves from the door."

The Franciscans have decided to keep on keeping on at Herbon after all, according to Judit from AGACS, the Galician Amigos group that staffs the albergue. Three new friars are there now, she says, "keeping the candles lit and the wolves from the door."

Great news.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hallo Laurie

Do you have an update on the status of the Herbon monastery? Was hoping to stay there in May 2014.

Liaane

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We stayed there at the end of October, just before the albergue closed for the winter break. There were only four peregrinos and we were looked after by a wonderful volunteer hospitallera who provided a lovely warm welcome There was no suggestion that the albergue would not be open again next year.

Lauriejean’s earlier comment that this is a MAGICAL place is absolutely correct.

Dear peregrina2000, i often watch your entries all over the forum, thank you so much you are very wise and helpful i think. Im a 55 year old australian and would like to ask whether you think there is frequent enough accomodation along the portugese route to do 20km days and still find somewhere to sleep or do we generally still need to do the 30ish km days as seen in john brierleys guide book.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear peregrina2000, i often watch your entries all over the forum, thank you so much you are very wise and helpful i think. Im a 55 year old australian and would like to ask whether you think there is frequent enough accomodation along the portugese route to do 20km days and still find somewhere to sleep or do we generally still need to do the 30ish km days as seen in john brierleys guide book.

@wendyjoy
Look at our webblog http://nel-en-albert-op-pelgrimreis.reismee.nl
However in Dutch ,google translate helps a bit, you can see how we divided our caminho ,resulting about 20 kms a day.Maybe this is a help for you.
Bom caminho

Hi, Wendy,
Albertinho's blog will help you see the stages. BTW, Albertinho, where did you stay in Moscavide?

Have you looked at the online Confraternity guides? http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

There is one for Lisbon-Porto and another for Porto-Santiago. I am currently updating them and have drafts I could send you.

Where will you be starting? In my memory, some of the stages south of Porto are inevitably longer than 20, but I may not be remembering correctly. If you tell me where you plan to begin, I can take a look. Buen camino, Laurie

Dear Laurie
i hope to do the lot from Lisbon to santiago in june after doing the Le Puy to St jean camino in france( i have previously done this and the spanish bit and the finisterre/muxia bit.)
I would love it if you sent your drafts (i am quite happy to pay for them as you clearly deserve it for all the assistance you give).
I have Brierleys guide, I will look again on the csj site.

My email is wendy.busch@bigpond.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Was there last week (early October, 2014). Glad to report it's still open. One of the best memories of the Camino Portuguese. It's a lovely, well marked walk mainly along a river from Pontecesures. Lovely location and buildings, friendly helpful volunteer hospitaleros, good sleeping arrangements, restful surroundings, places to read, be alone with your thoughts or chat if you want to, got evening mass (think Sunday only), communal meal evening and breakfast. Donativo! Also the nicest sello in my pilgrim passport. It's really not much of a diversion especially as you can bypass Padron afterwards - I made Santiago next day in lots of time to collect my Campostela, and the Franciscan Cotolaya. The only negative is the contrast between beautiful, spiritual Herbon and grubby grabby secular Santiago is depressing.

Hi, Wendy,
Albertinho's blog will help you see the stages. BTW, Albertinho, where did you stay in Moscavide?

Have you looked at the online Confraternity guides? http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

There is one for Lisbon-Porto and another for Porto-Santiago. I am currently updating them and have drafts I could send you.

Where will you be starting? In my memory, some of the stages south of Porto are inevitably longer than 20, but I may not be remembering correctly. If you tell me where you plan to begin, I can take a look. Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, more good news on the Herbon situation. Though the albergue never closed, staying in a monastery with no permanent inhabitants (like Cornellana) just isn't as great as staying in one that is still functioning with its original purpose (like Oseira, Samos, Sobrado dos Monxes, Zenaruzza, etc.).

According to a newspaper article, which I have read but cannot now find, the order will be sending Franciscans back to live in the monastery. I know that some have had problems getting to the monastery from the Camino, and that the dates of its operations are misstated in some guides (it's June 1 - end of October), but it is a place much loved by everyone who goes there.

Buen camino, Laurie

On the website from the AGACS, this is what it's currently displayed:

Owner: Comunidad de Franciscanos
Management: AGACS - Asociación Gallega de Amigos del Camino de Santiago. Hospitaleros voluntarios de la AGACS
Number of places: 20
Don't accept reservations, organized groups or pilgrims with support vehicle
Avaliability: from June to October
Opening time: 16:00
Closing time: 22:00 (Community dinner and breakfast)

Stayed there in June 2015 and was certainly worth the detour.

Is it still open?? Just reading the thread in preparation for my April 2017 Caminho; sounds wonderful!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have a Spanish friend who volunteers there most summers and says it is one of the earth's most special places. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get there yet.
It's time for you to examine your priorities!!!!! I just spent an evening trying to convince family walking form Porto that they MUST stop there. I think they've listened (and the photos helped)
IMG_2850.JPG IMG_2852.JPG IMG_2853.JPG IMG_2865.JPG IMG_2866.JPG

It's time for you to examine your priorities!!!!! I just spent an evening trying to convince family walking form Porto that they MUST stop there. I think they've listened (and the photos helped)
View attachment 31405 View attachment 31406 View attachment 31407 View attachment 31408 View attachment 31409
You are absolutely right, Rachel. The photos are beautiful. The Camino Portugues may be getting saturated, but this is a detour that will restore that Camino feeling.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There were forty or so who set out that day but only six of us made the detour to Herbon.
Was there a pilgrim mass when you were there? Or benediction or communal meal?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
EDIT on Jan. 26, 2017 -- as this old thread has popped up again, I've edited the title to reflect the current status as of 2017. The albergue will be open in 2017. I don't have any updated information on the status of the priests, but haven't heard anything to suggest that they have left for a second time. Buen camino, Laurie

I have received this news from a friend who has been a hospitalera at Herbon several times.
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2013/07/31/ ... 91115.html

The last two Franciscan priests will leave the monastery immediately, and the future of the albergue is unknown at this time. AGACS, the Galician Friends group that runs the albergue, apparently plans to continue staffing the albergue until further notice. The article linked above describes nastiness and conflicts between those who want to turn the monastery into a luxury hotel and those who wanted to preserve it as a BIC (bien de interes cultural -- roughly translated as a "culturally significant place"). The government's refusal to classify it now apparently means that its days as a monastery are numbered.

I don't think many forum members have taken the short detour from Padron to this albergue, but everyone I know who has stayed there has always described it as "magical", etc.

So, the clock is ticking, get thee to the monastery before it's too late!

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The famous "pimientos de padron" (peppers of Padron) were introduced by the priests in this monastery when they brought them back from the New World.
I would really like to volunteer at this monastery (having stayed there in 2017). Who should I contact?

I just stayed their with brother José and there other priests a magical place and I was deeply moved by our pilgrim blessing

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Stayed here in 2016. Magical place. Worth the detour. I remember we had to ask for directions in the market. The consensus between the locals was it was about 400 metres away. 2km later and we were there......

I stayed there in June 2019. I finished my camino from SJPdP to Santiago, but still had two weeks before I had to return home. So I took the Fatima route from Santiago. I can say that the monastery in Herbon really is magical! The property is beautiful, but it was the people there who stole my heart. Friar Jose and his pet goat, Manuel the gardner, and especially, my favorite hospitalero, Felix. Pilgrims (including myself) cried when it was time to leave in the morning. I can't wait to go back.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back