Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The Lone Borracho

Book your train ticket here

Joe Walsh

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Aragonés, VDLP, Madrid, Portugues, Norte
Expressions of love and light abound on the Frances confirming the expectation of the presence of angelic forces. Yet one should expect there also to be occasional encounters with the balancing experiences of less-than-benign energies. A point of view that includes the awareness of the potential for these opposing encounters can tend to insulate one from over-reaction to either when potential becomes actual.

We love Navarra and marvel at the sublime character of its geography as well as the beauty of its civil achievements as exemplified in Pamplona which is famous for its Fueros as well as its celebratory character. And while Navarra is only one facet in the diamond of the way along the field of stars, when asked which part I enjoy most —images of Navarra invariably come to mind.

It is recognized that nightlife in the Pamplona casco will linger long into the morning hours and when we sleep there, say above the bars of Calle San Nicolas, we know the celebrants of joyful life will be loud and exuberant at least until closing. From time to time we have even been among their number especially during the many years of younger days. We have thus come prepared with good earplugs to ensure a sufficient period of sleep now that our younger years have passed.

After the tapas bars close, there is a lull in the hum of the white noise that emanates from the celebrants of the street and one is tempted to remove the earplugs and give the ear canal relief from the constrictions plugs provide. We recognize it is the experience of many that this is a temptation to resist.

This morning at 3 am, we roused from dream momentarily and relaxed at the calm and quiet in the street below which invited the temptation mentioned above. I asked Annie if she thought it was safe to remove the earplugs and drift off to sleep again.

She responded with journeyman-like caution that The Lone Borracho was still to be expected. In less time it takes to draw 3 breaths, caution proved to be prediction and the call of The Lone Borracho began to ring in deep bellows from the empty street below.

Annie’s coining of the title and the immediate appearance of the person produced in me a levity that washed away any annoyance from the insistence of attention The Lone Borracho will always seek from innocent, and previously unconscious, by-standers. I laughed myself into a deep and earplug enhanced sleep while our acquaintance below continued their obligatory performance that satisfied the rule that invariably balance will be enforced by the attraction of opposing forces.

With this rule in mind the pilgrim can often triumph over any excess of ecstasy or agony. Amen.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
"Lone" Borrachos often attract others of their kind, and way too often spontaneously burst into two or three-part harmonies and variations on popular tunes. They are horrifying at the time (when you're trying to get some sleep!) but like any adventure they are wonderful to look back upon.
My most hair-raising experience of the phenomenon was a 3 a.m. bagpipe solo in the street below my window. Pure Galicia. Pure awfulness.

JCarpenter

Past OR future Camino
The Lone Borracho made his way to middle America, just outside my window while in college. Three full rounds of the Hawaii-Five-O theme songs of Bah bah bah bah baaaah Baah until someone yelled from their bedroom window, "Pick a new song, dude!" Silence.

Last edited:
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Joe Walsh

Past OR future Camino
Frances, Aragonés, VDLP, Madrid, Portugues, Norte
The Lone Borracho made his way to middle America, just outside my window while in college. Three full rounds of the Hawaii-Five-O theme songs of Bah bah bah bah baaaah Baah until someone yelled from their bedroom window, "Pick a new song, dude!" Silence.
🕺🎉🕺

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings