• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Lush shampoo bar review thread

Ungawawa

Time of past OR future Camino
2017-20: Francés, Norte, Francés, Portuguese Lisbon Coastal, Portuguese central
Like many pilgrims here I’ve become a fond user of the Lush shampoo bars on the Camino since being introduced to them via Lindsey Cowie‘s YouTube channel [links below]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCigYNejORbBd55GkidyBByw
https://www.lushusa.com/hair/shampoo-bars/

The problem is there’s about 15 different types of bar and their suitability for use on the Camino varies greatly. With so many different bars to choose from it’s very difficult and expensive to try them all out, so i’m starting this thread to collect reviews specifically of this Lush range.

I’ll post two of my reviews to get you started. Please follow the same format more or less if you post a reviews too - thanks!

Also - please - no generic posts about why these products suck or why I shouldn’t be washing my hair at all, or why don't I use bottle shampoo, or any other such tangents. I’m hoping to collect reviews of a product line, here not start a discussion about the pros and cons of shampoo bars ;-)

Big thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Montalbano (yellow citrus) bar

Hair: best for greasy hair, but fairly gentle. Has a light conditioning action too.
Body: 4/10 - could be used at a pinch for body washing, but does leave a bit of a greasy film behind, which is hard to wash off.
Clothes: 8/10 - worked brilliantly on my t-shirts and socks. Smelled good too.
Shaving: 8/10 - lathers and lubricates excellently as a shaving soap
Transportability: 7/10 - keeps its form well and doesn't leave goo.

HIT! All in all a great compromise if you need one bar for everything,

Last edited:
Seanik (blue seaweed) bar

Hair: best for greasy hair, leaves hair quite stripped after. Harsher than the yellow Montalbano.
Body: 8/10 - excellent for body, no residue and smells fresh
Clothes: 5/10 - untested but suspect the blue colouring could potentially stain light coloured items. Otherwise seems it would be quite suitable.
Shaving: 4/10 - Seems suitable but lather a little thin
Transportability: 2/10 - terrible. Gives off goo and seaweed pieces go rancid if left wet for too long.

MISS! Although promising as a body and hair solution, it's impracticality if you can't keep the thing dry means it's useless for the camino :(

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dr. Bronner's bar soap worked for me and much less expensive!

Lush is ~$12 for 2 oz.
Dr. Bronner' is ~$5 for 5 oz.

That's $24/ounce vs. $1/ounce.

-Paul

Dr. Bronner's bar soap worked for me and much less expensive!

Lush is ~$12 for 2 oz.
Dr. Bronner' is ~$5 for 5 oz.

That's $24/ounce vs. $1/ounce.

-Paul
Soap and solid shampoo have some differences, especially in pH, how harsh they can be to your scalp and hair, and how well they lather. Could you address the sort of points I've made about the Lush products in relation to your experiences with Dr Bronner?

Cost is not a huge factor for me when I will only use one bar per Camino, but performance is a deal-breaker.

I have used Dr Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap for backpacking. On a 15 day trip on the North Boundary Trail of Jasper National Park I bathed daily and washed out garments as necessary with this soap. I also used it for tooth brushing. When I reached the highway, I locked myself in a gas station washroom for a warm wipe down and a thorough hair wash. By then, I did not need cream rinse (lots of natural oil in the hair). I pronounce it fully satisfactory, except for the tooth brushing; in spite of the peppermint, it tasted strongly of soap.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Lush shampoo bar favourites are the Brazilliant (the orange one) and Karma Komba (the green one), both work well for my hair as well as body and clothes and have pleasant and not too overwhelming smells. Both are pretty unisex too as they smell of oranges (Brazilliant) and orange and fresh patchouli (KK). I use both a lot at home too and so far haven't found anything better, though I have tried. I would recommend these two.

The Montalbano (yellow lemony one) is my favourite smelling shampoo bar and works well, but over time it, Seanik (blue one) and Jumping Juniper (purple one) are too drying for my hair, especially when washing every day. They are heavy on lemon which is good for cleaning greasy hair, which I rarely have and never on the camino. Jason and the Argan oil (dark pink one) sounds a lot more conditioning than it is! I also found it tends to crumble easily, which isn't ideal when you are travelling. All these are fine though I personally won't buy again.

Copperhead smells of coffee and has coffee in it - not good for washing clothes I would have thought?

I once bought the Godiva (the one with conditioner blobs in it) but that didn't work at all, and wouldn't be great for washing clothes! Also it has a very strong smell, so I would definitely avoid that one and New (reddish one) and Soak and Float, which both have very strong smells and wouldn't make you any friends. Would advise against these.

I would suggest you don't buy the round tin as they can tend to get stuck in them and they are not leak proof. Lush do however sell creams in shallow black tubs with screw lids which fit perfectly! Ask nicely for one if you are in a shop? Body Shop small body butter tubs also work very well. Take a bit of neoprene, bubble wrap or something to put in the bottom to stop it sticking. They also sell solid conditioners which I have never used.

Oh and try them at home a good few times before you go!

My favourite is 'Honey I washed my hair'. It is a neutral cream colour and smells nice but not overpowering. I was given a deep berry coloured lush shampoo bar recently and would not recommend any dark coloured bars as they leave dye behind - not in the hair but on any surface where it is put down.

My Lush shampoo bar favourites are the Brazilliant (the orange one) and Karma Komba (the green one), both work well for my hair as well as body and clothes and have pleasant and not too overwhelming smells. Both are pretty unisex too as they smell of oranges (Brazilliant) and orange and fresh patchouli (KK). I use both a lot at home too and so far haven't found anything better, though I have tried. I would recommend these two.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Nidarosa. Did you have any issues with Karma or Braziliant decomposing into goo if left wet too long? This was a big problem for me with Seanik!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Breaking the OPs rules here, of course, but you can get better shampoo bars than Lush: made without sodium laurel sulfate, harder and longer lasting, but NOT soap (which damages hair) Shampoo bars, including Lush, are made with ingredients specifically for shampoo.

Happy to try other brands if you can supply links to find them for sale in Europe? Please supply a little review with each link saying what you do and don't like. Thanks!

@H Richards - actually I took the Seanik too when I walked from St Jean to Santiago, and gave up on it in Santo Domingo because it had turned into goo. The Brazilliant seems better, and I have started cutting them in half or even quarters now so there is less to get wet and gloopy on the way. Works for me. The one that seems to stick together best, is Karma Komba, and I know for a fact the Jason and the Argan oil tends to crumble rather than dissolve.

@JillGat - I have tried to find other shampoo bars but so far none of them have worked for me. That's solid shampoo, not the soap ones, which definitely don't work. And I saw the pic of the bar drying, and have copied it at home! I put normal elastic bands horizontally around the tub, then put them vertically/across the tub afterwards to stand the bar up - brilliant!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Note that Dr. Bronner's soap is available in both liquid and solid bar.

I've only used the Dr. Bronner's solid bar soap. The solid soap lathers nicely when used as a shampoo, which I think is due to the inclusion of coconut oil.

-Paul

@H Richards - actually I took the Seanik too when I walked from St Jean to Santiago, and gave up on it in Santo Domingo because it had turned into goo. The Brazilliant seems better, and I have started cutting them in half or even quarters now so there is less to get wet and gloopy on the way. Works for me. The one that seems to stick together best, is Karma Komba, and I know for a fact the Jason and the Argan oil tends to crumble rather than dissolve.

@JillGat - I have tried to find other shampoo bars but so far none of them have worked for me. That's solid shampoo, not the soap ones, which definitely don't work. And I saw the pic of the bar drying, and have copied it at home! I put normal elastic bands horizontally around the tub, then put them vertically/across the tub afterwards to stand the bar up - brilliant!

Love the hair-band idea, and cutting them into quarters. Great!

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the Karma one will be worth testing out. Of your two recommendations, which of the two strips oil from the hair less? I have quite frizz-prone dry curly hair!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
sounds like the Karma one will be worth testing out. Of your two recommendations, which of the two strips oil from the hair less? I have quite frizz-prone dry curly hair!
The Karma Komba is available in shops again so you can see it, smell it and even take the tester one and wash your hands with it in store to see how it works and feels. The Brazilliant is online only, so is more of a risk. Try a few if you have the opportunity, like the Honey one which I haven't tried but should be milder than the lemony one. Good luck!

My guess is that all of the Lush shampoo bars are very, very similar to each other, ingredients-wise, and there are a lot of them mostly for marketing purposes. I recommend finding a shampoo bar in which the ingredients are melted together instead of just pressed (you can tell by the visible noodles in the Lush bar). It is a better way to get the benefits of all the ingredients and the bar will be harder and lasts longer.

My guess is that all of the Lush shampoo bars are very, very similar to each other, ingredients-wise, and there are a lot of them mostly for marketing purposes. I recommend finding a shampoo bar in which the ingredients are melted together instead of just pressed (you can tell by the visible noodles in the Lush bar). It is a better way to get the benefits of all the ingredients and the bar will be harder and lasts longer.
I'm not so sure, Jill.. The two I tried were completely different to each other in many ways. One was great, one was useless. Perhaps I just found by chance the two most different!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My favourite is 'Honey I washed my hair'. It is a neutral cream colour and smells nice but not overpowering. I was given a deep berry coloured lush shampoo bar recently and would not recommend any dark coloured bars as they leave dye behind - not in the hair but on any surface where it is put down.

Thanks for the review Magwood. Did you try them on clothes, body or for shaving as well?

There are many small cottage makers of shampoo bars on Etsy. Look for "syndet" bars. I have bought from GetLathered that Jill linked to above. My current favorite is from Qua Organics on Etsy. I only use bar shampoo now, and my hair looks better than ever.
I recommend finding a shampoo bar in which the ingredients are melted together instead of just pressed

I have actually been melting down my shampoo bars in order to fit into small plastic containers that I have bought. I just kind of break it up and put it into the container then microwave it until it melts, then let it re-solidify. And when my bar is down to a little sliver I can just melt it onto a new bar.shampoo.jpg Qua sells a really big bar that I cut up and melted into smaller bars. It should last me forever!

I'm sure that there are Etsy sellers in Europe with similar bars.

Here's some pictures of the type of container that I use, and also showing the hair elastic drying method mentioned above.

There are many small cottage makers of shampoo bars on Etsy. Look for "syndet" bars. I have bought from GetLathered that Jill linked to above. My current favorite is from Qua Organics on Etsy. I only use bar shampoo now, and my hair looks better than ever.

I have actually been melting down my shampoo bars in order to fit into small plastic containers that I have bought. I just kind of break it up and put it into the container then microwave it until it melts, then let it re-solidify. And when my bar is down to a little sliver I can just melt it onto a new bar.View attachment 50935 Qua sells a really big bar that I cut up and melted into smaller bars. It should last me forever!

I'm sure that there are Etsy sellers in Europe with similar bars.

Here's some pictures of the type of container that I use, and also showing the hair elastic drying method mentioned above.

Looks good! The only problem I can see is that there is a heated stage and a cooled stage in making syndet shampoo. If you heat it all, this may cause problems with some of the ingredients.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can you please tell me what the name is of the shampoo bar that you buy from this company?

Looks good! The only problem I can see is that there is a heated stage and a cooled stage in making syndet shampoo. If you heat it all, this may cause problems with some of the ingredients.
I've never made my own like you have so I don't know the chemistry, but so far it's worked fine for me. 😊

Thanks for the review Magwood. Did you try them on clothes, body or for shaving as well?
Yes, used the honey one for all purposes, but I found it was disappearing too fast so stopped washing clothes about half way through (there almost always seemed to be bits of soap available for use at albergues). Now I always take two bars, but then I always walk longer caminos. Wouldn’t wash light coloured clothes with the deeply coloured bars.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re. the tins, a guy here once posted a genius picture of how he dried his shampoo bar. He used rubber bands or bungies to hold the round shampoo bar perpendicular to the square tin and hung it from his bed. Hard to describe, but great idea.
I put my wet Lush (the citrus one) soap bar in that little mesh bag that you buy 3 heads of garlic in. Then i safety pinned that to my travel towel when I hung the travel towel over the end of the bunk to dry. Dried nicely. After drying, I put it in the metal container. I would not use this soap again as the bar fell apart and did not last more than 3 weeks. It was only used for hair and body washing. My husband’s lasted even less time.

Thanks for the pics Trecile. Two great ideas there. Time to get me some hair bands.

With curley hair, I do not use shampoo only conditioner. The conditioner bar, Au Naturel, from Get Lathered worked great. I used it everyday.

It lasted the full 45 days of the trip with about 1/4 remaining. Towards the end of the trip, the bar started to melt a little around the edges. I kept it in a small ziplock and drained it after each use.

It does not lather up or feel like it is doing much. I generously rub it over my hair and scrub like shampooing, rinse and repeat. My hair was fresh and clean. Can’t recommend it enough for curly hair.

I did not try it on clothes.

Have heard nothing about JR Liggett bars. This is all my husband and I use on a regular basis. I have very thick hair and I don't need to use a conditioner at all. My hair is shiny and clean and as I am very allergic to scents, the original bar works best for me. Slight rose smell that does not linger at all and I am not smelling it all day. Would never use anything else now. Love the idea that I am not putting all those chemicals and fragrances on my hair and not having to mess with a conditioner. I think if people try it, they will never go back to anything else. Great idea to quarter the bar so that it does not get goopey while travelling.

Have heard nothing about JR Liggett bars. This is all my husband and I use on a regular basis. I have very thick hair and I don't need to use a conditioner at all. My hair is shiny and clean and as I am very allergic to scents, the original bar works best for me. Slight rose smell that does not linger at all and I am not smelling it all day. Would never use anything else now. Love the idea that I am not putting all those chemicals and fragrances on my hair and not having to mess with a conditioner. I think if people try it, they will never go back to anything else. Great idea to quarter the bar so that it does not get goopey while travelling.

I tried the JR Liggett bar after having it recommended, and loved it. I had previously tried the Lush bar, and it just didn't work for me. I have lots of allergies, and find the Lush products have too much fragrance and chemicals. I have to order the JR Liggett bar online (too bad I can't find it in a store) and it's pricey, but it last a long time and is well worth the convenience. I like the elastic idea for drying the bar. I put my JR Liggett bar (it's a small square shape) into a small plastic container with a snap-on lid, with a piece of bubble wrap in the bottom, and that worked well. It was easy to peel the soap off of the bubble wrap.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So many choices! Somewhere in this thread mushy bars were discussed. My solution over many Caminos has been these bags. The bag serves as a skin scrubber and the soap can be left in the bag and hung over the line, your bed, or your pack to dry. The drier the soap is kept, the longer it lasts. Here's where you can get them. BettyandBobos

Attachments

• soapsack.jpg
    soapsack.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 78
I tried the JR Liggett bar after having it recommended, and loved it. I had previously tried the Lush bar, and it just didn't work for me. I have lots of allergies, and find the Lush products have too much fragrance and chemicals. I have to order the JR Liggett bar online (too bad I can't find it in a store) and it's pricey, but it last a long time and is well worth the convenience. I like the elastic idea for drying the bar. I put my JR Liggett bar (it's a small square shape) into a small plastic container with a snap-on lid, with a piece of bubble wrap in the bottom, and that worked well. It was easy to peel the soap off of the bubble wrap.
Bubble wrap - great idea!

Like many pilgrims here I’ve become a fond user of the Lush shampoo bars on the Camino since being introduced to them via Lindsey Cowie‘s YouTube channel [links below]

The problem is there’s about 15 different types of bar and their suitability for use on the Camino varies greatly. With so many different bars to choose from it’s very difficult and expensive to try them all out, so i’m starting this thread to collect reviews specifically of this Lush range.

I’ll post two of my reviews to get you started. Please follow the same format more or less if you post a reviews too - thanks!

Also - please - no generic posts about why these products suck or why I shouldn’t be washing my hair at all, or why don't I use bottle shampoo, or any other such tangents. I’m hoping to collect reviews of a product line, here not start a discussion about the pros and cons of shampoo bars ;-)

Big thanks in advance!
For my upcoming VDLP in March I have decided to try 'Heno de Pravia' Spanish soap which I understand is readily available in Spansih shops. Has anybody used it and have a viewpoint?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Re. the tins, a guy here once posted a genius picture of how he dried his shampoo bar. He used rubber bands or bungies to hold the round shampoo bar perpendicular to the square tin and hung it from his bed. Hard to describe, but great idea.

Previous Shampoo Bar Post

The only other thing I can really add is that I rub the shampoo bar a couple of times in my wash rag, and then wash with the wash rag. I put the wash rag in a dry bag to wash my clothes when I am done to use the residual soap. It seems to conserve the use of the shampoo bar.

Even though I traveled light/ 6.5kg. I couldn’t leave behind a few essential items-
Lush jasmine shampoo/conditioning bar. Didn’t quite last the full length of the Camino. I aslo took half a bar of good body soap, half bar laundry soap. To help keep the lush bar intact. I kept a ribbon lengthwise under it, so I could lift out easily. Avoid getting the tin wet helps. A quick wipe of the dry bar over your wet hair, then back into the tin worked for me.
I took two bars on my Camino last year, but ended up in hostals frequently, and they provide shampoo!
My downfall is body moisturiser....it’s cheap in Spain so I bought it as I went along.

Best advice is if you get it wrong don’t panic. Nothing in Spain is expensive and you can replace your products if you need to.
Buen Camino 🏃🏼‍♀️🎒

Seanik (blue seaweed) bar
...Transportability:
2/10 - terrible. Gives off goo and seaweed pieces go rancid if left wet for too long.

MISS! Although promising as a body and hair solution, it's impracticality if you can't keep the thing dry means it's useless for the camino :(

Agree with you about the blue bar. I like the way my hair feels afterwards but I had a tin off goo after a week, plus the goo seeped out of the tin and then I had blue goo all over stuff :(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hair: best for greasy hair, but fairly gentle. Has a light conditioning action too.
Body: 4/10 - could be used at a pinch for body washing, but does leave a bit of a greasy film behind, which is hard to wash off.

I only used this on my hair but would agree with your hair and transportability ratings. I had a purple bar yonks ago that I really liked but I don't think it was the juniper bar.

I have used both Godiva and Karma on the Camino, for all purposes. I simply can't get the top of the tin box, so I used the small black tub Lush puts its creams in and drilled a few small holes in the top to help it dry. I patted it with my towel before stowing it. I have short, curly hair and rinsed it on the days I didn't wash it. I do like the idea of the garlic bag to let it hang to dry - great idea!

I used the Lush brazilliant bar, but created a different system for transport. On my first Camino I got tired of dealing with the mess in the soap container, and/or waiting for it to dry. I cut up the bar into fingertip sized pieces then made sure they were all dry and put them back in the container. After that I just had to take one piece at a time with me into the shower. No mess, no soap bar drying systems. Worked beautifully.

Second Camino a bit trickier, since the new bar was not already softened, it didn't cut up as easily into even pieces, so i soaked it awhile, then cut. Pieces not as even, but still worked.

€83,-
I use the Karma bar and give it a 10/10 all around. I tried couple of other Lush bars (didn't bother to remember the names!) but liked Karma best as an all purpose tool.

Only problem I had was the tin I had it in started to rust so I've since found a plastic jar just the right size. I cut a bit of kitchen sponge (with the scouring pad on one side) and put it in the bottom of the tin/jar so the bar wasn't sitting in a puddle and it seems to work well to keep it from turning soft. Can then use the sponge if necessary to get stains out of cloths or, I suppose, in the kitchen!

BUT -- lots of great ideas in this thread! I might have gone with the ribbon to get the bar our of the jar but now I've put in an order for some mesh bags - I can see lots of other uses for them besides soap.

I also like the idea of tossing the soaped-up washcloth into the laundry bag. Duh - I've been wasting soap rinsing out the washcloth!

The Montalbano (yellow lemony one) is my favourite smelling shampoo bar and works well, but over time it, Seanik (blue one) and Jumping Juniper (purple one) are too drying for my hair, especially when washing every day. They are heavy on lemon which is good for cleaning greasy hair, which I rarely have and never on the camino. Jason and the Argan oil (dark pink one) sounds a lot more conditioning than it is! I also found it tends to crumble easily, which isn't ideal when you are travelling. All these are fine though I personally won't buy again.

Copperhead smells of coffee and has coffee in it - not good for washing clothes I would have thought?

I once bought the Godiva (the one with conditioner blobs in it) but that didn't work at all, and wouldn't be great for washing clothes! Also it has a very strong smell, so I would definitely avoid that one and New (reddish one) and Soak and Float, which both have very strong smells and wouldn't make you any friends. Would advise against these.

I would suggest you don't buy the round tin as they can tend to get stuck in them and they are not leak proof. Lush do however sell creams in shallow black tubs with screw lids which fit perfectly! Ask nicely for one if you are in a shop? Body Shop small body butter tubs also work very well. Take a bit of neoprene, bubble wrap or something to put in the bottom to stop it sticking. They also sell solid conditioners which I have never used.

The GoTubb containers are perfect for the Lush shampoo - a little bigger than their metal container and lightweight. https://www.rei.com/product/840792/humangear-gotubb-53-cu-in-container-package-of-3

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

This is the only one I've tried and, because it meets all my needs and I love it, I've stuck with it. My only wish is that it would last longer! Thanks for the thread...very useful :)

Big thanks in advance!
I have used the camomile shampoo for many caminos. It is a small puck made to fit in the round tins. No problem with mushyness, unlike other lush soaps. I never take it out of the tin. I only brush my wet fingers over the top to get the lather that I need. Great for hair, face and body.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
saponification is the chemical reaction combining lye and oil/fat to make soap.
I've been making soaps for 15 years.
If a soap has unsaponified oil/fat in it, then it will be more of a moisturizing/conditioning bar. It would be called a superfatted soap. Most soap is slightly superfatted.

Soap made with lard or tallow, and 10% coconut oil, will be a hard soap, slow to melt, stays hard in the shower, lathers well.
Soap made with vegetable oils/shortenings will be a softer bar, faster to melt, goes mushy over time in the shower.

Combining animal fat and vegetable fats with 10% coconut oil, will give you something in the middle, not too hard or soft, not too much goo. I hope that helps.

My personal favorite is animal fats/oils with coconut oil in a soap, I use it daily. It is 5% superfatted.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A new batch of fragrance-free hiking soap and carrying bags. Take a look... Hikers Soap

Big thanks in advance!
My favorite is the Orange bar. I've used it on 5 or 6 Caminos. I use it as soap, shampoo and for hand laundry. One bar lasts the whole time.

I Was also introduced to the Lush bars through Lindsey’s YouTube channel, and saw that a number of other vloggers used them as well. So I went to the store and decided on the Godiva shampoo and conditioner bar. It barely lasted 10 days, and I didn’t was my clothes with it. I ended up with a 6 oz. bottle of grocery store body wash for € 2 that lasted the rest of the walk. Maybe it was all the bits in it. Loved the smell and the way it made my hair feel but it was definitely not value for money. Noticed other North Americans with Lush bars as well, they didn’t seem to be getting any more value out of their bars than I did out of mine.

saponification is the chemical reaction combining lye and oil/fat to make soap.
I've been making soaps for 15 years.
If a soap has unsaponified oil/fat in it, then it will be more of a moisturizing/conditioning bar. It would be called a superfatted soap. Most soap is slightly superfatted.

Soap made with lard or tallow, and 10% coconut oil, will be a hard soap, slow to melt, stays hard in the shower, lathers well.
Soap made with vegetable oils/shortenings will be a softer bar, faster to melt, goes mushy over time in the shower.

Combining animal fat and vegetable fats with 10% coconut oil, will give you something in the middle, not too hard or soft, not too much goo. I hope that helps.

My personal favorite is animal fats/oils with coconut oil in a soap, I use it daily. It is 5% superfatted.
Thanks for the information. Been thinking about making my own for the next stage of the Camino. Most likely better value for money.

JillGat
I used the GetLathered conditioner bars across the CF. I don’t shampoo.
Do you have a recipe for your bars that you would share. Any chance that you make conditioner bars?

Sadly, these ship from the US and even though these bars can be purchased as a pair for $34, the shipping cost is $50 to Canada, so $85US is quite steep for one shampoo and one conditioner bar.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sadly, these ship from the US and even though these bars can be purchased as a pair for $34, the shipping cost is $50 to Canada, so $85US is quite steep for one shampoo and one conditioner bar.
While the Get Lathered bars are very good, I have used shampoo bars from other Etsy sellers that are just as good. I'm sure that there are Etsy sellers in Canada making these types of shampoo bars. You need to make sure that they are "syndet" bars - not soap made with lye shampoo bars. Here's one in Calgary https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmElleEmSoaps?ref=l2-shopheader-name&section_id=25297795

I see that not one of these 50+ replies have followed your format... And I have only used Lush shampoo bars for my hair so there is not much point in following your format, sorry!

I was actually quite happy with the Seanik (seaweed) bar, which was my first ever shampoo bar, but yes, the seaweed pieces were slightly irritating.

I don't mind the strong smell of Godiva at all and actually like that it slightly perfumes the contents of my pack... This is now the shampoo bar that I keep going back to.

I give them both 7/10 (for hair).

Transportability for both is easily 10/10. I have never found it difficult to keep my travel soap dry and mess-free. What I normally do is give it a firm-ish squeeze to get rid of the slimy suds before putting it into the tin / ziplock bag and leave the tin / bag open overnight. No need for any of the fancy tricks mentioned above.

Another Lush shampoo bar that I have tried is the brown one with henna (can't remember what it was called now). It crumbled like a cookie after the first use and I hated it for that reason! They seem to have discontinued this product, which is hardly surprising given that it was such a dud.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Am I the only person that has to cross the street when going past a Lush store because the smell makes me gag?
I find the smell from Lush overpowering too even just walking past it. My friends love it and every time we met in Glasgow they would spend ages in there. I used to go to the bookshop across the road and tell them to come and find me when they were finished in Lush.

I see that not one of these 50+ replies have followed your format... And I have only used Lush shampoo bars for my hair so there is not much point in following your format, sorry!.

Heheh, you noticed that too eh? I was aware that people would probably take the thread off in different directions, but I clearly underestimated the potential for that to happen! Thanks for being the only one who responded in the way I originally was after. I appreciate your reviews.

I find the smell from Lush overpowering too even just walking past it. My friends love it and every time we met in Glasgow they would spend ages in there. I used to go to the bookshop across the road and tell them to come and find me when they were finished in Lush.
I was born down the road from the Kennington Oval cricket ground in south London. You'd see people have the a similar reaction to the Marmite factory and cross the road to avoid it.

For our overseas readers Marmite is a brown, yeasty glop scraped up from the bottom of the barrel after making beer. Australians have something similar called Vegimite, I don't think anybody else has been foolish enough to follow suit - it's truly rank.

Here's another of my reviews of a new bar:

Honey I washed my hair (honey) bar

Hair: Very gentle, best for light, curly hair.
Body: 6/10 - Works okay, strong fragrance, not quite brash enough to cut through grease, but certainly useable. Soft texture of bar means it gets used up quickly if you're using it for body.
Clothes: 9/10 - excellent results and they smell great afterwards too
Shaving: 7/10 - Suitable for shaving. Good results.
Transportability: 6/10 - One of the softest bars means it may easily deform and gets used quickly, but fine if kept dry, and no problems with goo

HIT! Another great all-rounder, and a good alternative to the citrus bars for people who want a gentler shampoo. The cost of this is the softer texture, meaning it won't last as long.

Last edited:
Sorry to be THAT person, but can any European recommend a shampoo bar that is curly girl approved (or at least that doesn't contain sulphates)?

I used Godiva by Lush last time and I LOVED a bar shampoo for the weight reduction but found that it wrecked my hair. Two washes with normal shampoo after getting home made it all better but I figured the Godiva, as a shampoo+conditioner, would have been my best option. Not so.

€46,-
I've only tried one and I like it so much that I'm not going to risk trying others! (also I've given as a gift to my friend who loved it)

Jumping Juniper (purple, no bits)
Pros
• smells fresh and flowery (lemon, lavender, rosemary), but not girly. Even my husband is using it
• amazing for my long oily thin hair (Japanese origin), clean with no need for conditioner
Cons
• every Lush consume complaints: hard maintenance, softens very fast under moisture, breaks down and runs down the shower

I've tried another brand (Airmid, from Ireland) and I haven't adapted to its waxy feeling.

Sorry to be THAT person, but can any European recommend a shampoo bar that is curly girl approved (or at least that doesn't contain sulphates)?

I used Godiva by Lush last time and I LOVED a bar shampoo for the weight reduction but found that it wrecked my hair. Two washes with normal shampoo after getting home made it all better but I figured the Godiva, as a shampoo+conditioner, would have been my best option. Not so.
I can only answer as far as my Lush bar research goes - the Jason and the Argon-oil one supposedly has the least sulphates. The green SOS bar also uses non-palm-oil derived sulphates instead, which might treat your hair better. I've found the Honey I've Washed My Hair one to be gentle on my curly hair too, but no long-term test results yet.

I just bought the Karma Komba and the Brazilliant. I find the smell overwhelming. I hope it fades or I will have to leave it outside on the deck. I won't be able to carry it in a backpack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just looked at Matador Flat Pak or the JR Liggetts carrycases for soap/shampoo bars and thought I'd share. It looks like the Matador might be an interesting option because it closes at the top and the JR Liggett one looks like it doesn't. I might spring for the Matador and try it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just looked at Matador Flat Pak or the JR Liggetts carrycases for soap/shampoo bars and thought I'd share. It looks like the Matador might be an interesting option because it closes at the top and the JR Liggett one looks like it doesn't. I might spring for the Matador and try it.
I checked out the Matador, and almost bought it, but it just looked too small for my shampoo bar (not a Lush bar) And it's very expensive. I wrap my shampoo bar in a small piece of microfiber towel, and keep it in a zip lock baggie.

https://matadorup.com/collections/accessories/products/flatpak-soap-bar-case?variant=12135840874609

Last edited:
"I wrap my shampoo bar in a small piece of microfiber towel, and keep it in a zip lock baggie".

That is exactly what I do too!

I used a Lush ba on one of my caminos many years ago. To buy I thought it was expensive and to use it didn't last very long..only a coupole of weeks.
The shop seemed over powering with aromas..in fact I could smell the shop several shops away. To me it all seemed a bit gimcky and girly

€46,-
I’m a Liggetts girl. Cut it into 4ths so only used the smaller cube. Kept the rest in great shape. Only ended up using half a bar for 30 days. Also carried a 1/4 of a bar of FelsNaprha for clothes washing.

The Karma Komba is available in shops again so you can see it, smell it and even take the tester one and wash your hands with it in store to see how it works and feels. The Brazilliant is online only, so is more of a risk. Try a few if you have the opportunity, like the Honey one which I haven't tried but should be milder than the lemony one. Good luck!

Hi, ive just checked in London shops and one like u say is online only the other karma out of stock.... Any other sugestions as I leave in 2 weeks

@Cookiedave Did you not see or smell another one you liked? The lemony Montalbano is fresh and unisex, and a lot of people like the sweet vanilla scented Honey I washed (something). Seanik and the coconut have bits in them and some of the others are way too strongly scented in my opinion.

@Cookiedave Did you not see or smell another one you liked? The lemony Montalbano is fresh and unisex, and a lot of people like the sweet vanilla scented Honey I washed (something). Seanik and the coconut have bits in them and some of the others are way too strongly scented in my opinion.
Hi nidarosa,
No if i'm honest.... I was reading all the reviews before i go and buy one.... lol
It is also interesting that i saw a guy online talk about lush soap and also the chewable tablets for toothpaste... So thinking about 2 products from lush....
Do you know about the tablets ?
regards

I have tried the toothy tabs but apparently they are quite harsh so I just bring a smaller tube of regular toothpaste with all the protections and benefits I know from home. Some people do think that Lush stores have an overpowering smell, but I don't think any other pharmacy/beauty shop would be any better if none of their products were packaged ... I like the fact that my Lush shampoo bar has a refreshing smell when I get to the shower after a hot and dusty day, and find that the smell doesn't linger on the hair so shouldn't bother anyone else. Some of them can be a bit too drying, I certainly found that with Seanik, but the rose scented Jason/argan oil, the orangey Brazilliant and the caramel/vanilla Honey etc, are pretty good even when washing every day. I have tried lots of other brands, none of them work for me - some won't lather up so are hard to get into and out of the hair, some need a vinegar rinse which is impractical, and the US Etsy products are just too expensive with postage. Then again, a small bottle of normal shampoo will also do the trick!

Can anyone recommend which works best as shampoo + conditioner? I'll also use it for body wash but not clothes. Presently I use a leave-in conditioner so my hair combs out wet without snarls. My hair is thinnish and tends towards dry.

Lush markets Godiva as shampoo + conditioner but everyone here says it falls apart. I'm thinking Jason & Argan Oil (love the smell) is my best bet if I cut it into small pieces so it doesn't turn to mush. I'm also looking at the Get Lathered line but none say "shampoo + conditioner."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm also looking at the Get Lathered line but none say "shampoo + conditioner."
Get Lathered has a separate conditioner bar. I haven't used theirs, but I use one from another etsy seller, and it lasts forever! I cut it in half because I need to use so little.

@trecile I have, but they tend to be cold pressed soap bars sold as shampoo, and not the syndet bars @JillGat advised me to look for. The few I have found, have still been very low lather and a mess to get in and out. The only bars that work for me the way I want, are the Lush ones. I wouldn't mind trying something else though and if someone finds a good UK/EU Etsy seller who makes decent syndet bars, I'd love to hear about it!

€46,-
I've used Godiva and quite like it. It helps keep it intact if you dry it out after use.

Hi nidarosa,
No if i'm honest.... I was reading all the reviews before i go and buy one.... lol
It is also interesting that i saw a guy online talk about lush soap and also the chewable tablets for toothpaste... So thinking about 2 products from lush....
Do you know about the tablets ?
regards

Lush will give you samples of every product they sell, including the shampoo bars and tooth tabs.

You can make your own tooth tabs from your regular toothpaste too, thus getting rid of the container. It's been detailed elsewhere in the forum.

@NorthernLight Actually that's not entirely true, they don't give out samples of the round shampoo bars though they will cut off a smaller piece off the bigger block ones like Trichomania (coconutty with bits) and some of the more recent ones that aren't moulded to size.

My local store gives quarter cuts of any round shampoo bar you want to test.

This ^^^^ same experience with Liggets, used it for 2 Camino's and at home.

Hi, ive just checked in London shops and one like u say is online only the other karma out of stock.... Any other sugestions as I leave in 2 weeks
I have long oily hair and I got on very well with the Jumping Juniper and no conditioning. The smell is very refreshing with lavender, rosemary and lemon.

I just bought the Liggett's sample pack this week and have tried two kinds. This is my first time trying shampoo bars, so I'm not sure if this is how they are, but neither of the ones I tried created any lather. My hair felt very squeaky clean which I guess is OK but I definitely need a conditioner.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.