• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Madrid - mid- April

Duke

Time of past OR future Camino
French & Portuguese
I'm in Manzanares now after a Madrid start. So far I haven't seen any other pilgrims. I saw some pole tracks. But no albergues. It is beautiful, blue skies, puffy clouds and birds singing
In Colmar I called the number on the hostal and was directed to walk about ten minutes and was put up in a room, no passport or registration - 20€. In Manzanares the albergue is closed but I stayed at a hostal near the old castle for 55€. Not complaining but the infrastructure isn't there yet. The way marking is excellent and I want to put in a good word for the work the Amigos de Santiago have done. Their office off Sol was well staffed and friendly.
Just one additional note- without Spanish it could be a lonely jaunt, especially in April. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Duke,
Will be walking out of central Madrid tomorrow (Tues). Thanks for the above!! Will appreciate any tips & advice you can pass along. I have links to @KinkyOne @peregrina2000 @Anniesantiago & @Undermanager - ALL of which have been helpful! -so far! Very much looking forward to this Camino! Have a good one!!
Terry
I wish you as wonderful Camino de Madrid as it was mine. And a lot of sunshine :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm in Manzanares now after a Madrid start. So far I haven't seen any other pilgrims. I saw some pole tracks. But no albergues. It is beautiful, blue skies, puffy clouds and birds singing
In Colmar I called the number on the hostal and was directed to walk about ten minutes and was put up in a room, no passport or registration - 20€. In Manzanares the albergue is closed but I stayed at a hostal near the old castle for 55€. Not complaining but the infrastructure isn't there yet. The way marking is excellent and I want to put in a good word for the work the Amigos de Santiago have done. Their office off Sol was well staffed and friendly.
Just one additional note- without Spanish it could be a lonely jaunt, especially in April. Buen Camino

Hi, Duke,
Hope you continue to enjoy. I think you will find that the pilgrim infrastructure is actually astonishingly good after those first few hiccups. Lots of great albergues, which is surprising given the small number of pilgrims.

And a request for anyone walking -- if you get to Wamba, and if you like Romanesque churches, would you go inside and take a few pictures so I can enjoy it from afar? I was told that even if the church isn't open, it's easy to find the senora with the key, which I never knew. One of my Camino de Madrid regrets was never getting inside that church. :).

And fingers crossed for good weather from here on -- the Iberian peninsula has had a crazily rainy April so far, kind of like the May it had a few years ago. Go figure, I guess it's the luck of the draw. Buen camino, Laurie

Terry,

Welcome to the Madrid Camino. I'm in Santa Maria, a day past Segovia. It was a long day but a beer and some tapas were perfect (restaurants are closed Mondays in Santa Maria). I usually post on Facebook if you're interested. You needn't friend me. It's open- Duke Klassen.

Buen Camino,
Duke

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, @Duke ! Just arrived in Tres Cantos! And got my 1st Buen Camino for this trip from a local! Will check out your FB page!
Buen Camino
Terry

Thanks, @Duke ! Just arrived in Tres Cantos! And got my 1st Buen Camino for this trip from a local! Will check out your FB page!
Buen Camino
Terry
That's great to hear Terry!
What was the weather like on the way? No rain I hope, but there might be some tomorrow.

Ultreia!

Just arrived in Tres Cantos! And got my 1st Buen Camino for this trip from a local!

Enjoy every step and every stop of your camino.

What was the weather like on the way? No rain I hope

I'm not her but I can tell you it rained in Madrid today so I'm pretty sure she saw rain. I don't know if while walking or once in Tres Cantos though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am curious as to what you walk was like from Cercedilla to Segovia?

Ultreya
Joe

That's great to hear Terry!
What was the weather like on the way? No rain I hope, but there might be some tomorrow.
Ultreia!
Enjoy every step and every stop of your camino.

I'm not her but I can tell you it rained in Madrid today so I'm pretty sure she saw rain. I don't know if while walking or once in Tres Cantos though.

Tuesday, the day you two posted these, I walked from Iglesia de Santiago to Plaza de Castilla & bus to Tres Cantos. Next day I followed @Anniesantiago 's wonderfully detailed directions out of TC - then followed all the yellow arrows to this arroyo crossing - see my attached photo. I don't consider myself a risk-taker, but with poles and some confidence that the Camino would assist, started across. 3/4 of the way, the left pole and left foot slipped, and I went totally under water! Guess the Camino WAS, in fact, assisting me - I managed to get out of the river. I was just looking at @Duke 's FaceBook page and found his photo of the same spot just a few days earlier with stepping stones high enough out of the water to make it quite easy to get across. Guess there had been a lot of rain in those few days. Several locals said it was also snow melt. I continued walking towards Colmenar Viejo but came to another "ford", and immediately decided "no, I cannot do this again". I had just called 112 when I looked up and saw a bicyclist walking across the arroyo just above the stepping stones I had used. He helped me get back across the river, and back up the hill towards Tres Cantos. That's a dangerous spot that might warrant a sign in an appropriate spot - shortly out of TC, for example. But with so few people walking the Madrid - who knows... But I'm ok! So many gratitudes! It could have been way worse! Alas, the next morning I slipped while taking a shower-hit my back on the rim of the tub - no broken bones! Am now in Madrid for a few days. Will return to the Frances, forego the Madrid, and decide next steps in the next couple of days! On the Frances, I know where the rivers and sturdy bridges are, and albergues don't have bathtubs!!:)
Buen Camino !
Terry - - I may be an old lady, but I'm a very sure-footed old lady! These are the only falls I've experienced on several Caminos!:mad:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 15
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, Terry, I'm so sorry to hear such bad news. You may be old lady but you're very brave old lady to walk solo in such weather conditions. I would be honoured to meet you someday.

Hope everything will end well and that you enjoy your Camino whichever that might be :)

Hi Terry, I set out from Tres Cantos with your warning ringing in my ears. Luckily the crossings were all passable today. I was very happy that I had my poles for stability though!

Tuesday, the day you two posted these, I walked from Iglesia de Santiago to Plaza de Castilla & bus to Tres Cantos. Next day I followed @Anniesantiago 's wonderfully detailed directions out of TC - then followed all the yellow arrows to this arroyo crossing - see my attached photo. I don't consider myself a risk-taker, but with poles and some confidence that the Camino would assist, started across. 3/4 of the way, the left pole and left foot slipped, and I went totally under water! Guess the Camino WAS, in fact, assisting me - I managed to get out of the river. I was just looking at @Duke 's FaceBook page and found his photo of the same spot just a few days earlier with stepping stones high enough out of the water to make it quite easy to get across. Guess there had been a lot of rain in those few days. Several locals said it was also snow melt. I continued walking towards Colmenar Viejo but came to another "ford", and immediately decided "no, I cannot do this again". I had just called 112 when I looked up and saw a bicyclist walking across the arroyo just above the stepping stones I had used. He helped me get back across the river, and back up the hill towards Tres Cantos. That's a dangerous spot that might warrant a sign in an appropriate spot - shortly out of TC, for example. But with so few people walking the Madrid - who knows... But I'm ok! So many gratitudes! It could have been way worse! Alas, the next morning I slipped while taking a shower-hit my back on the rim of the tub - no broken bones! Am now in Madrid for a few days. Will return to the Frances, forego the Madrid, and decide next steps in the next couple of days! On the Frances, I know where the rivers and sturdy bridges are, and albergues don't have bathtubs!!:)
Buen Camino !
Terry - - I may be an old lady, but I'm a very sure-footed old lady! These are the only falls I've experienced on several Caminos!:mad:

There are about 6 walkways like this in that section between TC and Colmenar. I walked across the stones but balance is critical. The distance is short and one might just walk through the water. You could just put plastic bags over your shoes to prevent wet feet.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There are about 6 walkways like this in that section between TC and Colmenar. I walked across the stones but balance is critical. The distance is short and one might just walk through the water. You could just put plastic bags over your shoes to prevent wet feet.

Ultreya,
Joe
It wasn't a matter of getting my feet wet - the current was stronger than I thought and even with good balance and poles, I was pushed straight into the river - totally submerged for a bit - but "fought" my way to the bank and up to dry land! Also at the time, the water was so deep and muddy, one could not see the bottom to walk across - I would have! Alas... Less than a week before @Duke walked over the same place - has a photo - and I certainly would have wadded thru. And I understand that a few days after my dunking, someone else was able to wade thru the same spot - the water was much lower! Just " lucky", I was!
Have enjoyed your postings, tho wish you'd had better weather!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back