• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Marvelous Buff

Multipurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April (2018) maybe 2017
The subject of this post is that marvelous piece of gear called the Buff, which incidentally is made in Spain, which somehow makes it even more appropriate for the El Camino. There are many types of Buffs, the UV Buff, the Reflective Buff, the Insect Shield Buff, the Wool Buff, but I went with the standard microfiber Buff which lists at $20 American, although they can be found cheaper if you shop around. Essentially the Buff is a tubular scarf which can be worn in many configurations including hat, pirate rag, and neck sun shield. I resisted buying the Buff for many years, seeing them on display at REI and thinking they were useless items of fluff only appropriate for hiking yuppies who seemed to be overly concerned about the color of their gear. I finally bit the bullet and bought one to discover that they are marvelously useful and versatile bits of gear that are especially appropriate for folks with Celtic skin that tends to glow in the dark.
For me they can function much like the radiator of a car when soaked with water and worn around the neck. The evaporation of the water cools the blood going to and from the head which makes a person feel much cooler, at least it does for me. The secret is to soak the Buff with water often, about every 30-45 minutes if possible to maximize the cooling effect as the water evaporates rapidly in hot weather. I think this will be possible to do on the El Camino as water is so readily available.
Anyway give the Buff a try if you've a mind too and you most certainly will cool down and find it a very useful piece of gear.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When planning your Camino consider that there are perhaps 8-9 Camino de Santiago specific and highly unique Buff designs that ARE ONLY AVAILABLE along the Camino, and at shops in Santiago de Compostela.

While there for the past month as a volunteer in the Pilgrim Office, I bought several as gifts for friends. They were only €13.50 (about $14.25). So, not only are they unique souvenirs, and cheaper in Spanish, but they are uber useful.

In 2014, while on the Frances, west of Sahagun, I used mine to make a compression bandage for my head, together with a packet of tissues, after I fell over a fence. Of course, I landed on my head...doh! And ALL head wounds bleed prodigiously. It worked like a charm.

I hope this helps.

I resisted buying the Buff for many years, seeing them on display at REI and thinking they were useless items of fluff only appropriate for hiking yuppies who seemed to be overly concerned about the color of their gear
I had a similar disdain, until someone gave me a merino wool one. It is now one of my most precious camino companions. In cool/cold weather, it provides warmth for the cold mornings and I can easily remove it when I warm up without stopping. It can be pulled up over the face, or up at the back to substitute for a light hat. When I'm not wearing it, it has a dedicated little pouch on my hip belt so it is easily accessible and I know that I haven't lost it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love my buff and will be taking two with me next month on the Portuguese route. They work great, doubled over a few times, as eye masks when sleeping. I was never tormented by flashlights at night.

I use mine as headbands to keep my huge hair in check and the first thing I do every time I get a new one - apart from the merino ones - is to cut it in half so the headband doesn't get too thick and tight. That way I also instantly have a backup!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a longtime Buff convert and addict I do have to warn you that they breed!
I have to admit the same skeptical attitude as others have expressed. But someone recently gave me one, and I've definitely seen the light.
However. Less than a month later I have two. Now I know why.:)

@gerardcarey...buff redemption?:Do_O

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Me merinowool buff has done two Caminos already and it is going to Camino Norte next year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm a bit confused about this. Are you saying that the Buffs sold elsewhere on not genuine 'Buffs'.? The ones I've purchased at MEC in Canada do me just fine. And IF they are being sold under the brand name Buff and were not purchased from the company who manufacturers them, should they be held accountable? Doesn't seem like something a Canadian company would do. It also feels a bit odd to have these sold on the forum commercially unless payment for advertising is being made to Ivar???

Of course Buffs are available all over the world. I was only pointing out that LTfit had been kind enough to organise a Camino Buff for the forum for little or no personal gain and some time and effort spent. They are sold because they are not free.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Of course Buffs are available all over the world. I was only pointing out that LTfit had been kind enough to organise a Camino Buff for the forum for little or no personal gain and some time and effort spent. They are sold because they are not free.
Thank you....I was not aware of that. I was aware that they are not free.

Thank you....I was not aware of that. I was aware that they are not free.
Clarification…William, I was not aware someone had been organizing purchases through the forum.That thread was before my time. I'm also aware they are sold everywhere. Maggie

As with most things in life wash often otherwise they smell rank.
I have a 20 year old Buff I keep in a plastic bag (from Camino #1) because even Fabreeze couldn't help it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is right William, to date I have sent out over 300 Camino de Santiago buffs to forum members all over the world.

Wouldn't mind putting through a new order...
If this implies a plan to place another order, I am a newbie who would like to get one.

As with most things in life wash often otherwise they smell rank.
I have a 20 year old Buff I keep in a plastic bag (from Camino #1) because even Fabreeze couldn't help it.
Hi Jeff - have you tried soaking the Buff in two cups of white vinegar? Leave for 30 minutes and then throw it in the wash.
Cheers - Jenny

Hi Buff lovers new and old,

After long delay I have put through a new order of these original Camino de Santiago Graffiti Buffs (see resource section and PayPal link:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-buff.80/
Here original thread about the Buff:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/buffs-camino-design.10034/page-5#post-369234). Thanks to a large order by an Amigos group I could cover the minimum requirement of 50 units.

For those of you who have a back order, your Buff will be sent out on approximately December 8th. I will send you a pm with the exact details. As always, they will be sent in a regular envelope by standard, not registered mail, to keep down the costs.

Any newbies should contact me if interested.

Cheers and thanks for your patience. I have invested in a large supply so will be able to fulfill any new requests coming my way.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took a merino wool buff in september. It became a critical 4th layer. On days, usually the a.m., when it was too warm for even a shell jacket and too cold for T shirt, I used the buff around my neck. ( not even on my head, though there came a time for that)
That layer of warmth provided a luscious heat to my whole body

Hi Buff lovers new and old,
After long delay I have put through a new order of these original Camino de Santiago Graffiti Buffs (see resource section and PayPal link:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-buff.80/
Here original thread about the Buff:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/buffs-camino-design.10034/page-5#post-369234). Thanks to a large order by an Amigos group I could cover the minimum requirement of 50 units.
For those of you who have a back order, your Buff will be sent out on approximately December 8th. I will send you a pm with the exact details. As always, they will be sent in a regular envelope by standard, not registered mail, to keep down the costs.
Any newbies should contact me if interested.
Cheers and thanks for your patience. I have invested in a large supply so will be able to fulfill any new requests coming my way.
Is there a picture and description (e.g. what fabric is it) of the buff buried in that older thread? It would be good to put that information on the Resources page, and/or post it here.) :)

I found the Camino Marketplace Facebook group, but I don't see this particular Buff listed there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is there a picture and description (e.g. what fabric is it) of the buff buried in that older thread? It would be good to put that information on the Resources page, and/or post it here.) :)
I agree in the Resources section - then it is always available rather than repeating it
here....

It does not have to be a Buff brand. I found these Headsox with Australian Aboriginal designs on them - having trouble working out which one to take on my next Camino - too much choice!

Ivar also has some for sale here - support the forum!

It does not have to be a Buff brand. I found these Headsox with Australian Aboriginal designs on them - having trouble working out which one to take on my next Camino - too much choice!

Ivar also has some for sale here - support the forum!
Sorry, Kanga with Buff (being a major brand name), I didn't know that this particular item supported the forum and I'm all for that. What is its brand name?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The ones in the forum shop are also the Buff brand.

Buff makes a number of different Camino designs. In their catalogue there are 9! Including one I saw last May in Muxia that was not yet in their catalogue but now is!

http://www.buffwear.com/buff-adult-headwear/camino-santiago-collection

Don't know why it makes me so happy to see it in the catalogue since I find Merino Buffs itchy and synthetics too tight.... But they will make you want to give the cie a few €.

Anyone looking for a real cooling gadget to wear, try one of these, made front crystals meant to keep hanging baskets and golf courses moist: Let sit in water until the gel is nice and thick, and at night leave in the fridge. Do not leave it in a plastic bag at room temp!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XX4XA8/?tag=casaivar02-20

No need to wet these during the day.

Moving Maggie, I really would not assume that the people who make the bands sold on the Forum support the Forum, just that they manufacture items, of all sorts, sold by Ivar.

As for Buff, it will make any tube you want for a minimum order of 50. So if you are planning a wedding, christening, graduation, make your design and order away.

In answer to all the above:

1) this Buff is manufactured by BUFF in Spain and is made of "soft, breathable 100% microfiber polyester with Polythene Active Odor Control" (from Buff USA website).

2) this started as a project for members of the Forum and was extended to the larger Camino community through the Camino Marketplace Facebook page. I took the item off that page when all Buffs were sold. I am putting it back up today as I have reordered another 50.

3) There are many Buffs on the market but this particular Buff design is not available anywhere else.

4) Pictures are on the Resource page for all to see (it has been there for several years). I have personally sent out at least 300 to date.

Should anyone have any particular questions please pm me.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.