• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Meseta vs. The VdlP from Seville to Salamanca...

Time of past OR future Camino
For those of you have have walked both, a sincere and simple question; I am aware of the infrastructure differences/issues but my question drives to the experiential matters....

"Does the VdlP walk have the same "mind-emptying" effect/impact as the Meseta?"

Thank you in advance for your informed response(s),

B

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, but rather the stretch Seville-Salamanca than from Salamanca onwards.

Not really, the landscape in Seville and Extremadura is dramatic and impressive: you would find similar effects in Tierra de Barros (Fuente de Cantos to Mérida), perhaps in Aldea del Cano to Alcántara and in most of the provinces of Salamanca and Zamora

This next photo is in Salamanca two weeks ago

and these next ones in Zamora

I just love that type of landscape!!!

For those of you have have walked both, a sincere and simple question; I am aware of the infrastructure differences/issues but my question drives to the experiential matters....

"Does the VdlP walk have the same "mind-emptying" effect/impact as the Meseta?"

Thank you in advance for your informed response(s),

B
I did both Caminos (Frances and la plata) . I you are looking for 'mind-emptiness' , the VDLP is the best. You are much more alone there ! And you pass real treasures. Like Sevilla, Merida, Caceres , Salamanca.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you, @omar504!

Yes, I have the Levante on my wish list. My seasonality of travel and probable climate conditions restrict me to the Seville to Salamanca route for the near future.

I do appreciate your advice.

B

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, @omar504!

Yes, I have the Levante on my wish list. My seasonality of travel and probable climate conditions restrict me to the Seville to Salamanca route for the near future.

I do appreciate your advice.

B
I'll be on it again late july

I would say no. For me the Camino Frances was a pilgrimage. The VdlP was a long distance walk. I did much more brain emptying and processing on the Frances. Whilst the distances filled with ‘nothing’ are longer on the VdlP, maybe they were so long that I was distracting myself with podcasts/Spanish radio/music etc to get though the km. The meseta almost melts into insignificance compared with the VdlP.

Either way, my observation is that I needed to walk a certain number of weeks (?2) to get to a brain emptying place. And if i wanted to have any chance of brain emptying and processing i needed to take my headphones out!

Thank you, @Espee84 , for a contrary opinion. With all due respect, I believe the VdlP is my likely best option within the next year or so. But I have taken your comment on board.

All my walks have been pilgrimages, and I do agree on the time factor being important. Personally, after the first few traverses, I reached that mental space rather quickly...and I love it!

However, next time out, I will be guiding someone who needs a bit more time to reach that wonderful place and I cannot see myself on the CF again.

Oh, and the headphones/ear buds/whatever? Just not a part of my experience as I prefer pure unfiltered nature. Boredom is a risk that I embrace.

Everybody is different.🙂

B

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great! I set out on the VdlP on a pilgrimage but for me it turned out to be a very different and less spiritual experience than the CF - and for me that means connecting with my Christian faith and making space to spend time with God.

I have been reflecting on what differentiates a pilgrimage from a long distance walk. On the CF I stayed in more Parochial and donativo albergues where there was often a pilgrim’s blessing and space for reflection - which gave me a particular space and time to pray. On the VdlP there seemed fewer people who were specifically walking for spiritual reasons.

Another factor was the challenge of the walking on the VdlP. And as I mentioned above - I realised I had reached a stage in my Spanish learning where I could understand the radio (very exciting!) so I spent a lot of time listening to Radio Nacional de España - a good opportunity to practise my Spanish while in Spain. And - surprise surprise - when I did take out my headphones I had a lot more time to think and process!

“What make a pilgrimage a pilgrimage?” is no doubt a question that has been discussed extensively on this forum...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’m leaving for my third Camino this weekend and will start in Burgos to Rabanal. Looks like it will be quite warm on the Meseta, I would appreciate any insights from the forum on traveling these stages. At this point I am working at getting my pack down to 5kg to insure plenty of water for the 9-10 days between Burgos and Leon.

You’ll be fine. It’s really beautiful at this time of year. The only section I had trouble with was the 16ish km stretch outside Carrion de los Condes and that’s only because I left before anywhere was open for coffee! This is the longest section with ‘nothing’ (if I remember correctly) and there was even a van on the side of the path selling coffee after 10km. It’s really not as bad or boring as people make it out to be. And it’s not pan flat! Enjoy it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Ed Aster -

@Espee84 got in before me regarding the 'scarce water' zone. Yes, make sure you are topped up leaving Carrion!

That being the more potentially worrying stretch, I also need to point out that the segment from Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos onto either Reliegos or Mansilla de Las Mulas lack both shade and refreshment stops. In Fall 2017, no one had set up a van or tent for refreshments on that stage. I only mention this because it is a path further away from traffic and you should know this should you be tempted to take it.

Just so you know. The rest of the stages pose no concern...and personally? I love the Meseta!

B

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.