• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The metal pedestrian bridge

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
Hi all, just a quick one . Can anyone tell me where the pedestrian bridge is.. the one that's made of metal and zigzags up and over a road (or train track??) I seem to remember it was in the latter half of the Frances . As I was walking into a town at the end of the day so it might be one of the popular stage stop places... Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about because I certainly don't 🤣🤣
Hugs
Andy x

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all, just a quick one . Can anyone tell me where the pedestrian bridge is.. the one that's made of metal and zigzags up and over a road (or train track??) I seem to remember it was in the latter half of the Frances . As I was walking into a town at the end of the day so it might be one of the popular stage stop places... Hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about because I certainly don't 🤣🤣
Hugs
Andy x

Astorga.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is at least one very similar on the Norte - stage that follows Santander.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wonderful!! Thank you sabineP you're a star.. it's been driving me insane all morning trying to remember where it was!!
It's hard to forget, quite a drag after a long day up from San Martin, then a final slog up the hill into town!! Others have mentioned there is an alternative path across the railway line, but definitely not recommended..

Yes, I remember it well. During our second camino, there was a pilgrim just ahead of us as we approached Astorga. He had trekking poles with the metal tips. He clanked ahead of us on the street and sidewalk, then when he reached the pedestrian bridge, he clanked all the way up and back down. So annoying! Bob

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hugs
Andy x
I certainly can

Attachments

• 20170615_104846.jpg
    20170615_104846.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 283
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or the rattling beast of a bridge on the Portugués Coastal route.
It was pouring with rain when I crossed that one. And traffic going too fast. Or is it a different bridge you are thinking of?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't remember it being very difficult, but I do remember thinking it was comical when a group started up ahead of me, and we could look across at each other walking different directions, some on the zig and some on the zag.
OMG
and I can’t remember it at all!
I am wracking my tiny mind but not a flicker, not a notion and I’ve been Scrutinising the picture here

we’ve been through Astoria a number of times so how can both of us forget this bridge?
I remember the Cathedral, the museum and that’s about it! Guess I’ll have to go back again through Astoria so watch this space

The first time going into Asorga, I was a good girl and walked over the bridge. The second time, no mas. I hopped across the tracks shortly before that. There's a beaten path that you can see on google earth, so clearly I'm not the only one.

View attachment 100274
You and every local going to work/shopping in Astorga!

I wonder if they'll ever take down the "You have priority over oncoming traffic" sign?

1621185968480.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OMG
and I can’t remember it at all!
I am wracking my tiny mind but not a flicker, not a notion and I’ve been Scrutinising the picture here

we’ve been through Astoria a number of times so how can both of us forget this bridge?
I remember the Cathedral, the museum and that’s about it! Guess I’ll have to go back again through Astoria so watch this space
You probably got lucky and followed some other pilgrim or local who knew the 'live fast' way across the tracks.

I feel like Astorga needs a pair of those tourist binoculars, up in the Cathedral tower, just for looking back at the pilgrims slogging their way over the tracks. Extreme people watching.

I have been over that bridge twice, and quite enjoyed it, as a sign that I was approaching Astorga and a chance to get a better view of the surroundings. I did what I always do when walking, and automatically adjusted my pace to my surroundings, so I did not see that it was in any way difficult.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first time going into Asorga, I was a good girl and walked over the bridge. The second time, no mas. I hopped across the tracks shortly before that. There's a beaten path that you can see on google earth, so clearly I'm not the only one.

View attachment 100274
I went around the Pilgrim Torture Tower!.

Last edited:
Hi Margaret
Letting you know that when I clicked on your link - it didn’t take me to any of your posts. It links me to a (2012 thread ) by Annie Santiago about unlocking iPhone 3
??
Thanks for telling me, I edited the post.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I remember walking across it once with another pilgrim and we encountered a jabbering wild eyed pilgrim going the other direction. He told us he was trying to get back home and a girlfriend had taken all his money....ummm, ok lol. Anyway, we gave him some tins of sardines, crackers, cookies and even a soda. He was quite grateful and marched off. Interesting encounter.

Hugs
Andy x
I am thinking it was MOLINASECA after a very steep hill with loose gravel beforehand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am thinking it was MOLINASECA after a very steep hill with loose gravel beforehand.
Curious if you read any of the posts after the OP. 😊 I think everyone agrees that the bridge in question is the one just before Astorga. If I recall correctly the bridge before Molinaseca is across a river and is a rather nondescript bridge, not the monster before Astorga that appears out of the blue and jars one’s sensibilities.

Anticipating dragging myself over it as I had done on the Frances a couple of years earlier, I was dreading it...but I was so pleasantly surprised when Astorga came into view from the South on the Via de la Plata, avoiding it completly!

To my mind it is an ugly, over-engineered, god-awful monstrosity. I would have though from an engineering perspective, an underpass would have been a far simpler solution to span a single line but perhaps drainage and flash flooding prevented that alternative or perhaps someone's brother in law owns a steel business, who knows....

In my mind, it’s easier (and more fun) to cross than the wind-swept pedestrian bridge over the highway before Leon....
Memorable pilgrim moment. Pilgrim 1, on the bike, is passing as Pilgrim 2 cuts off a dred - which he has been doing one by one along the way, leaving them in places that struck him as memorable or significant. Which that bridge certainly is.
IMG_7909 (2).JPG

Anticipating dragging myself over it as I had done on the Frances a couple of years earlier, I was dreading it...but I was so pleasantly surprised when Astorga came into view from the South on the Via de la Plata, avoiding it completly!

To my mind it is an ugly, over-engineered, god-awful monstrosity. I would have though from an engineering perspective, an underpass would have been a far simpler solution to span a single line but perhaps drainage and flash flooding prevented that alternative or perhaps someone's brother in law owns a steel business, who knows....
I was overjoyed to see, in the distance, this green, metal bridge when trudging my lonely 3 day walk North on the VDLP. Happy to see all the pilgrims again.

I was overjoyed to see, in the distance, this green, metal bridge when trudging my lonely 3 day walk North on the VDLP. Happy to see all the pilgrims again.
And I loved those few solitary days of the northern end of the VDLP!😄
To each their own...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Memorable pilgrim moment. Pilgrim 1, on the bike, is passing as Pilgrim 2 cuts off a dred - which he has been doing one by one along the way, leaving them in places that struck him as memorable or significant. Which that bridge certainly is.
View attachment 100618
If I were to leave some of my hair in memorable or significant places along the Camino I would have been bald long before I reached Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hugs
Andy x
I’m pretty sure that’s just before Astorga
we crossed it 9/21/2018 and stayed in town that night.

john

You probably got lucky and followed some other pilgrim or local who knew the 'live fast' way across the tracks.

I feel like Astorga needs a pair of those tourist binoculars, up in the Cathedral tower, just for looking back at the pilgrims slogging their way over the tracks. Extreme people watching.
I must have followed someone as well, as I can’t remember it either

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1621703416011.jpeg
My wife’s face sums up her lack of enthusiasm having to cross this monstrosity after a long grueling day. We pushed hard on this cold, wet day, motivated to get to the chocolate museum before it closed. In the end, it was a bit disappointing but I’m sure our mental state had something to do with it. We have a good laugh about this memory every time we talk about it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So nice to be reminded about this bridge - I had completely forgotten about it! We were a few small groups who met while walking it - passing each other - again and again - on the bridge. We walked together after the bridge and had a wonderful dinner together in Astorga!

It's hard to forget, quite a drag after a long day up from San Martin, then a final slog up the hill into town!! Others have mentioned there is an alternative path across the railway line, but definitely not recommended..
You can just walk across the tracks. Look both ways first. The one on the Norte where you walk across a bridge is riskier but again easily doable. After Santa Cruz de Bezana.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can just walk across the tracks. Look both ways first. The one on the Norte where you walk across a bridge is riskier but again easily doable. After Santa Cruz de Bezana.
Yes I've walked across that one on the Norte...twice! Even after Nieves at Santa Cruz went to great lengths to dissuade pilgrims from crossing it. In fairness, the railway line at Astorga is probably a lot safer!

Yes I've walked across that one on the Norte...twice! Even after Nieves at Santa Cruz went to great lengths to dissuade pilgrims from crossing it. In fairness, the railway line at Astorga is probably a lot safer!
one you are just walking across the tracks (Astorga). the other you are walking across a 70 meter bridge. (Santa Cruz de Bezana).

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That's true and I've done plenty of way riskier and far more foolhardy things in my life up to now and somehow survived...I spent much of my childhood playing on the railway tracks...but as an adult I just wouldn't recommend to others whose abilities I can't judge, to put themselves in harms way by crossing an active railway line.
one you are just walking across the tracks (Astoria). the other you are walking across a 70 meter bridge. (Santa Cruz de Bezana).

I remember having an exhausted lunch break there. It was such a hot day and that bridge zig sagged for ever!

Am I remembering correctly, before the Green Monster, you come off a hill, passing the statue of the Thirsty Pilgrim, and before that the donativo lunchspot?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been over the bridge twice, and enjoyed it both times. I like odd and unusual things. If a town has a tower of some kind, I just have to climb it. Last time over the green monster, my daughter and I were walking with two other men and they said they were crossing the railway line before the bridge as it was easier. I told my daughter not to do that but come with me across the bridge just for the experience. She loved it and was glad she did it. It certainly gave all of the previous contributors in this thread something to look back on and remember.

Hugs
Andy x
It's in Astorga certainly and it's over the train track.

Hugs
Andy x
Hi, andwild. That bridge certainly it's in Astorga and it's over the train track. "Buen Camino!"

Wonder if locals complain the green monster whenever they cross it by their legs not wheelchairs everyday? Spaniard are clever, why not add stairs as an alternative to cross the rail?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That's true and I've done plenty of way riskier and far more foolhardy things in my life up to now and somehow survived...I spent much of my childhood playing on the railway tracks...but as an adult I just wouldn't recommend to others whose abilities I can't judge, to put themselves in harms way by crossing an active railway line.
Glad you said that. I know the bridge on the Norte after Bezana. I remember the priest at Guemes also warned against it. It's a longish bridge and it is a frequently used suburban line. Once you start to walk along it and a train approaches, or worse, two trains approach at the same time from opposite directions, there is nowhere to go except to flatten yourself against the structure of the bridge. This, of course is assuming that you actually see or hear them approaching. Don't do it. Take the long way round or take the train.

Wonder if locals complain the green monster whenever they cross it by their legs not wheelchairs everyday? Spaniard are clever, why not add stairs as an alternative to cross the rail?
Fascinating topic, that metal construction between San Justo de la Vega and Astorga. I googled a bit ... no, the locals don't seem to complain. Looking at the map, I guess there are very few locals in the immediate vicinity because there are very few houses. There is a small industrial complex (to the right, not seen on the screenshot) with plenty of cars parked outside in Google Street View. There's San Justo de la Vega at a distance of a good 3 km (to the right) so that would make nearly an hour of walking, and I guess these locals are like the locals elsewhere, they take their car or bike or moped or the bus when they need to go to Astorga. This footbridge is a landmark for the pilgrim to experience and to enjoy! Some have, no doubt, trodden the small footpath to the north of the bridge to cross the railway there but oh what have they been missing by not walking over the metal bridge.

This is what we are talking about, mostly: the Camino (yellow) and the footpath, the metal footbridge, and the road bridge across the Plasencia-Astorga railway line:
Pasarela.jpg

Last edited:
This is what we are talking about
Here's the very clear image from Googlemaps already posted upthread that shows both the bridge and the path that goes around it, no doubt used by everyone except pilgrims. As @Kathar1na says, there are other ways over the tracks, for cars/cycles or footraffic.
Screenshot_20210524-134956_Opera.jpg

no doubt used by everyone except pilgrims.
You are right! My faulty memory! The wonders of the internet! I thought I had known about the footpath when we walked but I must have learnt about it afterwards on this forum in an earlier thread. Because streetviewing it now, I have no recollection of noticing the small footpath. By that time, we must already have been mesmerised by the green metal structure beckoning us.

Where they walk.jpg

Hugs
Andy x
Not my graffiti, but it amused me at the time.

Attachments

• 20140509_113306.jpeg
    20140509_113306.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are there not rapid trains through that stretch of rail line? Perhaps not, with the station not too far away. A pedestrian unfamiliar with schedules could get flattened on the footpath.

I recall following a local across the tracks my first camino. On my subsequent caminos, I have embraced the torturous metal bridge and celebrated my crossing!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This bridge, imo, is ridiculous. It must have been built and engineered by the Mayors son on an open-ended contract. This is a standard rail crossing maybe 10 meters, Max. A well paved cross over with gates would have sufficed. This is a 2 second crossing on foot. Look both ways and walk. If this was done to support the wheel chair bound, they should have built a lift, straight cross-over and lift down.

Does the job, try getting power for a lift out there, or even think about getting bicycles into a lift. Suits walkers, cyclists wheelchair users (both the self powered and pushed variety). It is heartening that the planners thought of all users and not just walkers.

I nay be wrong but is there not a similar bridge between Viana and Logroño?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Does the job, try getting power for a lift out there, or even think about getting bicycles into a lift. Suits walkers, cyclists wheelchair users (both the self powered and pushed variety). It is heartening that the planners thought of all users and not just walkers.

I nay be wrong but is there not a similar bridge between Viana and Logroño?
There is already electric out there for trains and lighting.
Cyclist could easily utilize a well paved crossing. Same with walkers. Two second crossing max.
There are train crossings, in Spain, that have well designed lifts for Handicapped. The current design of this bridge could be challenging for an aged person in a wheelchair.

If this was in your neighborhood, my guess is you would use path vs. walkway. ;-)

That said, bridge is there and you have options.

Exactly! It jarred my pilgrim sensibilities. 😳 But really, it’s a perfectly reasonable bridge, catering to all requirements. Just a bridge we love to hate ... just look at how much mileage we’re getting from it. 😊
Yes, but when we purchase aDistance Certificate when we arrive in Santiago do they account for the extra steps? My certificate shows I walked 799 kilometers...I'm sure that bridge ramped it up by another hundred! 😊

If this was in your neighborhood, my guess is you would use path vs. walkway. ;-)

That said, bridge is there and you have options.
Nope, I used the bridge. I exercised the option knowing of the path. I saw no problem with it. I'll try to understand your concerns next year when I use it again.

What surprises me is that the rail authority have not fenced off the track to stop the unofficial path or put signals to notify when trains are approaching if they are happy with it, as is normal in most of Europe.

Have fun either way.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back