• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The most emotional place?

Jan_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés: July/August 2014

Camino Francés: May/June 2017
Hello Peregrinos!

I'm just curious.. :) Which place(s) was the most emotional for you during El Camino?

For me: Cruz de Ferro and Monte Do Gozo!
I was totally happy and full of euphoria there! I cried of joy! I feel like it was yesterday!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Cruz de Ferro for sure. I wept with a fellow pilgrim... no idea why we did, but we did !! And of course, Santiago the first time I got there. Couldn't stop crying for 2 days (maybe more). I've no idea what happens, and I really don't care. I love the experience. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm still on the Camino Portugues, but for me so far it's been a place that was halfway up the Alto da Portela Grande and the motorway overpass just outside O Porriño.
Considering the amount of water i have soaked up in the last week on the Camino, I'm expecting quite heavy waterworks out of the eyes when I get to SdC.

Last edited:
Aside from arriving at the Santiago Cathedral I had a very emotional moment at the beautiful octogenal church at Torres del Rio on the Frances.
Quietly sitting there with two peregrinas from New Zealand I received a text message from a workmate telling me that the patient who was in our care for more than thirty years died peacefully. Hed did not have any family so we caretakers were his instant family ( of course taking into consideration our profeesional distance...hope this makes sense ? ) . The next day my walk was a tribute to this dear man and a big reminder why I'm still blessed to be able to work in mental health.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I was shocked to see several walkers (I will not call them pilgrims) deliberately mocking the Cruz de Ferro with consciously ridiculous poses, competing with one another to see who could have the most mocking photo taken. I stood on the opposite side of the Cruz de Ferro from them to leave my stones, tributes to a family who had lost their daughter to cancer and to my doctor, who supports a chronically sick sister in a country without public medicare. It rained. I cried, from shock and dismay. It was a very emotional moment.
I attended mass at Barbadelo, just out of Sarria, at the little 12th cent. church of Santiago. This was the only time on my camino when I received the sacrament; as a non-Roman Catholic Christian I was attempting to respect Catholic regulations. It was a very emotional experience in this wonderful church.

Cruz de Ferro for sure. I wept with a fellow pilgrim... no idea why we did, but we did !! And of course, Santiago the first time I got there. Couldn't stop crying for 2 days (maybe more). I've no idea what happens, and I really don't care. I love the experience. Buen Camino
I have to say that my first feeling in Santiago was - well ok, I'm here! Nothing more, I just didn't realize where I am.. But after leaving Santiago, direction to Finisterre and Muxia, I told myself - wow, I really made it and I'm in Santiago! And when I turned and saw the towers of cathedral I almost cried..

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had an emotional 'breakdown' a few kilometres from Fromistra... it came out of the blue and took the wind from my sails. Even now, reading it in my blog brings tears to my eyes. It wasn't anywhere in particular... but for me it was the end of something and the start of something else.

If you're interested about halfway down the page I talk about 23 Tree Hill https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/23-tree-hill/#more-56

Also, my husband took this photo of me as I turned the corner into the main square in Santiago... I'd just spotted him and my son and burst into tears... so happy to have finished and so happy to see them.

x19.jpg

My first really emotional moment was at the pilgrim mass after the original mass in Carrión de los Condes. I think we all cried as it was so intimate with the nuns and we got small gifts to carry to Santiago. The priest hold a beautiful speech for us.

Second time was when I saw the cathedral for the first time. Right outside a fish store. I started to cry and sobbing there on the street. I had made it. I had walked from SJPdP on my own!

Then when I saw the sea in Cee when I walk towards Fisterra. I had missed water so much. I live my a lake and on CF you don't see much water.

The other caminos have had there moments as well. On San Salvador I started to cry of pure joy of the beauty. On CP I all of a sudden started to think of my grandmother and I couldn't just call her from Portugal and I missed her so much there and then that I started to cry.

But those moments on CF will always be special moments.

My first really emotional moment was at the pilgrim mass after the original mass in Carrión de los Condes. I think we all cried as it was so intimate with the nuns and we got small gifts to carry to Santiago. The priest hold a beautiful speech for us.

Second time was when I saw the cathedral for the first time. Right outside a fish store. I started to cry and sobbing there on the street. I had made it. I had walked from SJPdP on my own!

Then when I saw the sea in Cee when I walk towards Fisterra. I had missed water so much. I live my a lake and on CF you don't see much water.

The other caminos have had there moments as well. On San Salvador I started to cry of pure joy of the beauty. On CP I all of a sudden started to think of my grandmother and I couldn't just call her from Portugal and I missed her so much there and then that I started to cry.

But those moments on CF will always be special moments.
Yes, that mass in Carrion was very special. I still have that little star the nuns gave me in my wallet and carry it with me everyday.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, that mass in Carrion was very special. I still have that little star the nuns gave me in my wallet and carry it with me everyday.

YES, How true I remember that day as if just happened what a beautiful moment I also carrie that with me :) another moment for me was when I come down an hill and was olives trees around a very old men stop me to chat, we chat a little and he hand me a very large size walnut from a bag and said "eat this will give you strength" I said thank you and we left opposite direction in about 50 meters I stop and ask Señor como te llamas? ( sir, what is your name) he said Jesus, that for me is unforgettable

zzotte

As others said before me, seeing the Ocean before the descent onto Cee. It took me a while to realise it was the sea (doh), it looked like the continuation of the hills I was on, it was grey and white and looked like a sea of ...slates....
I was so unbelievably moved when I realised and I still am when I think about it.
On finishing VdlP, arriving in Santiago was finally very moving, it hadn't been before, go figure!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Peregrinos!

I'm just curious.. :) Which place(s) was the most emotional for you during El Camino?

I was totally happy and full of euphoria there! I cried of joy! I feel like it was yesterday!
for me it was 5k marker before my destination everyday...had to dig deep....lol

The monument is the middle of nowhere to honour those killed during the civil war. It says something along the lines of " Their deaths were not in vain, but their shooting (assasination) was". And discovering Eunate. And meditating on the boulders facing the sunset in Muxia. Ah...but I lie. I just saw a picture of Maneru and it reminded me of the moment I believed in Camino Magic.

I breed a rare breed of Spaniels, and it is thought they go back to a Spanish breed called the Pachon de Navarra. It was early morning, on a grey and wet day, before my first cafe con leche. The local bar was closed, I was disappointed. And then there it was. A Pachon! It was as if that moment had been made just for me.

And then there was another early morning, I had left Los Arcos, I think, before sunrise. As I wear glasses, condensation is an issue, and I cannot win: either I can't see due to the condensation or I can't see when I take them off because I am nearsighted. All of a sudden, going uphill along a path between pine trees, I saw a figure. It looked a like a nun, or better yet those drawings, paintings, of the Virgin Mary: white veil, blue dress. I thought I was having a vision! I was startled. Turns out it was a road sign! Round one of top of the post, then rectangular below. I laughed and laughed. I wondered how many other visions through history were due to poor eyesight. o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So many places.....so many emotions.

There are the obvious places that 'stir' the emotions. And then there are those emotions that spring out on you, perhaps triggered by a place, something you notice, a person, a memory.....

The 'obvious' ones were the Cruz De Ferro. I lingered for an hour and could have stayed all day....
Meeting 'David' and resting a while at his Cantina.
The Mass in Santiago.

But the more powerful ones were whilst walking. Usually alone. Sometimes great sadness and regret, more often great joy.....tears of joy..... and deep realisation and understanding.

Where were these moments?

On the top of the Pyrenees.
Sitting on the rocks looking at the Ocean in Muxia.
Sitting by the path looking out over the Lavender covered Hills above Acebo,
Resting underneath a Cherry Blossom near Hospital de Orbigo.....

It wasn't really about specific places for me. It was about the 'Rhythm of the Walk' taking my thoughts to new places and my surroundings at that moment just magnifying the emotion beyond what I thought possible...........

So I suppose I recall the emotion, and then...where I happened to be at the time.... Maybe it's where the inner journey and the outer journey overlap that creates the magic?

Last edited:
Muxia...at the cathederal at the ocean...I knew it was over...but in Santiago the Botafumeiro is still the best show in town...saw it 4x times.
On my last day in Santiago, a Sunday, I went to the cathedral for the mass and found the Botafumeiro swinging. Rather than risk a choking fit, I left in a hurry and headed for St Benet's (sp.?) Church, which I knew had a mass half an hour later. I found myself in a parish mass for local Catholics. The service was in Galego and a music and mass book helped me follow. There was something special about worshiping in Santiago with local Christians.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had an emotional 'breakdown' a few kilometres from Fromistra... it came out of the blue and took the wind from my sails. Even now, reading it in my blog brings tears to my eyes. It wasn't anywhere in particular... but for me it was the end of something and the start of something else.

If you're interested about halfway down the page I talk about 23 Tree Hill https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/23-tree-hill/#more-56

Also, my husband took this photo of me as I turned the corner into the main square in Santiago... I'd just spotted him and my son and burst into tears... so happy to have finished and so happy to see them.

View attachment 23974

That's so sweet! did you know they were going to meet you?

Hi, I must have missed the reference - would you please tell me in more detail where the Civil War monument is. Those who were among the first to resist the fascists deserve enormous respect. I would like to pay my respects as I do at The Communards Wall at Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. - Mike
Found it. It's the Monumento de los caidos just after Villafranca Montes de Oca, 7 km before San Juan de Ortega.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Funny how you start missing forum members when you don't see their posts for a while, as is the case with you SYates. Anyone know where Variyani (sp?) is these days?
I've just recently joined the Forum, so don't know the folks you enquired about. But I like the quote by Basho that's part of your signature. I will walk my first Camino in 5 weeks and your Basho quote is the phrase which so far best sums up my attraction to The Camino Frances. "Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home". Thank you. - Mike

On every camino over the past 10 years there have been stretches which seemed to be in another world. Past were the hoards of camera-clicking tourists and/or pilgrims as well as any urbane atmosphere with a bar at every corner. All was reduced to simple basics; I was alone on a seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky. The only sound was the companionable crunch of my boots and perhaps distant birdsong.

Happily for me while tramping along and alone I often sensed that special moment when everything 'clicks' realizing that this is, indeed, MY way and that all is and will be good. ...Perhaps such secular transcendence felt while walking might be akin to what runners call 'the zone'. Your body can handle the task while your spirit glows with the effort. Neither easy, nor impossible; all simply is. ...Thus, thankfully you continue.

MM

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Peregrinos!

Muxia is my 'special place' and my perfect journey's end. I would ideally like to end all of my future Caminos there.

Cruz de Ferro was also very poignant for me - perhaps because I reached it on my birthday in June 2014. Also, my stone represented a really difficult situation that I had been managing for the previous 6 months and that seemed to be coming to an end. The act of laying down my stone felt quite symbolic at that moment. However - that turned out to be somewhat ironic. The situation in question became much more difficult within days of my return home and I discovered a whole new level of stress and challenge! A year or so later I could look back and laugh at my Cruz de Ferro photo - and I could finally understand how everything does indeed pass and that some situations just are what they are. I now also see that walking the Camino has helped to develop my inner strength and resilience and my ability to navigate myself and others through some very tough waters. I am very grateful for that Camino lesson. If I leave a stone at Cruz de Ferro next time, I think it will represent a wish to remain grateful for and open to the unexpected gifts from the Camino and from life.

.Cruz de F.JPG

Last edited:
The side chapel in Santiagio cathedral where I attended a mass in English on my second night in the city. Being a small space, yet packed with pilgrims, it offered an intimacy that wasn't there for me in the spectacular Pilgrims' Mass. The visiting priest, Fr Basil Postlethwaite - who had previously walked Le Puy to SdC, so understood the varied feelings of those he was ministering to - struck just the right chord, blending the sacred, good humour and human warmth. Even before the service began, it was here that I felt overwhelmed by emotion.

Top of Mt Jezkibel in Basqueland, at Cathedral in Santiago and first glimpse of Finisterra...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cruz de Ferro was also very poignant for me

I wanted the Cruz de Ferro to be something special because I brought a rock from Denver to what felt like at the time the "top of the world"...only to get there just in time for a bus full of tourists to start climbing all over the mound like a bunch of ants after their very difficult road crossing...well you get the idea...just completely destroyed the moment and any potential for pictures...but just seeing the "0 km marker" at Finisterre with a few real Pilgrims made up for the everything I lost at the Cruz de Ferro.

I've just recently joined the Forum, so don't know the folks you enquired about. But I like the quote by Basho that's part of your signature. I will walk my first Camino in 5 weeks and your Basho quote is the phrase which so far best sums up my attraction to The Camino Frances. "Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home". Thank you. - Mike
Hi Mike. And welcome to the forum. Of the many Haiku poets, Basho is my favourite. Five weeks!....you must be very excited. How well I know that feeling. I wish you Buen Camino and everything you wish for yourself.

As a part-timer pilgrim still working, with two separate week walks over two years, the Camino takes longer to permeate. For me, my last day of my second year coming down to Burgos, just off a cloudy Matagrande, suddenly a hymn from school 40 years ago popped into my head - and I sang loudly on my own as I strode down the hill...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wanted the Cruz de Ferro to be something special because I brought a rock from Denver to what felt like at the time the "top of the world"...only to get there just in time for a bus full of tourists to start climbing all over the mound like a bunch of ants after their very difficult road crossing...well you get the idea...just completely destroyed the moment and any potential for pictures...but just seeing the "0 km marker" at Finisterre with a few real Pilgrims made up for the everything I lost at the Cruz de Ferro.
Yeah, that blacktop road running right next to it does take a bit away from it, at least I thought so. Last time I was there, several people arrived at the cross on motorcycles, all rumbling, and stopped and did the old photo ops. I didn't stop, and just trekked on through. Any potential pilgrims out there reading this, just to let you know, it isn't a bastion of quiet isolation on the Camino. Not trying to put you off from it, just letting you know. Besides, you can find your own personal "Cruz de Ferro" anywhere on the Camino. It doesn't have to be that one.

What a great thread topic. It led to a wonderful reminiscence for me.

Simply put, it was the people.

Day 1, looking down on Roncesvalles from the pass. It was very cold and wet and we had been slogging through mud for hours. I hadn't eaten enough at Orrison and had completely "bonked" somewhere around the fountain of Roland (we were so excited to get underway that we hadn't taken the time to stock up nuts, chocolate, etc. in SJPdP). Snails were going faster then I was at that point. By the time we arrived, we were too late to attend Mass and receive the pilgrims blessing, too late to do laundry, and too late to go out for dinner before they locked the doors (I kept thinking about that scene in The Way where the woman at the counter scolds, "You Americans, you are always late!"). We walked in and the hospilatero took one look at me, moved quickly from behind the counter and said, "I can do two things for you right now. Here, let me take your pack off your shoulders. Now sit right over here and take your shoes off and I'll put them away for you." I was right at the edge of tears for his kindness. Then, after a brief shower, he let my son and I down into the area with the food vending machines, even though it was past hours and needed to be locked, and we ate our first night's meal from a vending machine. A young woman, also a pilgrim, came by, sat with us, and offered some comforting words and I almost wept again. We met her and her boyfriend the next morning, and they saved us from a wrong turn because we were hunched down against the rain and the arrow for the turn was up high.

Coming into Najera, my son suddenly had real problems with tendinitis on his knee, and it took us over an hour to cross the last 1km to get him to the polideportivo on the edge of town. I left him there at the cafe with some money, walked in to find an albergue, and explained the situation to the hospitalera, who arranged a taxi back to get him. She then helped me get him settled and got out this old bag of some kind of frozen vegetables (the printing on the label was long worn off) that must have been used on pilgrim's knees since the middle ages. Her kindness was extraordinary, and then she exceeded even "extraordinary" as she intercepted me going to the laundry, told me that my son needed me more so she was going to wash our clothes. Words failed me; tears did not.

From O'Cebriero to Santiago, we walked with the young woman and her boyfriend. On the final day into Santiago, they stopped short to go the final 10k the next morning, but Kaleb and I finished that evening. The next evening, we met them again at one of the restaurants, and she was oddly glowing. That morning, when they had arrived in Santiago, he proposed to her on the Cathedral stairs. As she told the story, all I could do was grin like a little kid to see the joy of this young woman who had been so very kind to us.

Our final delight was coming back early from Finisterre to Santiago to find two couples that we'd met on Day 1 hiding from hail under an old oak tree. We'd walked on and off about two weeks with them, and so it was natural (Camino natural?) to wander around the city for several hours, ducking into every bar, albergue, and restaurant until we found them, all to hoist one last pint. Find them we did; hoist we did!

To all the beautiful volunteers who receive far less thanks than they deserve and far more grief from us pilgrims than anyone deserves, THANK YOU!

To all the pilgrims who offer kindness and friendship and shine brightly with the best of what humanity was created to be, BUEN CAMINO!

Last edited:
Like most people I had many moments along the Camino, but two stand out above them all.

The first was in the church at San Juan de Ortega. Something special overcame me inside there. After spending a good bit of time with my walking companions, I bid them 'good bye' while I stayed behind to ponder things. After they left I sat alone, thought, and prayed. I did this often, but that afternoon something inside my head and heart was different. Once I collected my thoughts I wrote this prayer:

The Warrior & the Pilgrim:

"People may not see the connection between the warrior & the pilgrim. Let me tell you what I know. They both know Spartan conditions, heat, cold, pain, trust, loneliness, fellowship, heartbreak, loss, but above all- honor. They are guided by an ideal that others may never see or know- but it is there, always.

For some the pressure may become too much and even after their return they may be unable to cope. This is the reality that is not shown in movies or written about in books. So I ask you St James to look over the pilgrim and the warrior- for as the Peregrino and Matamoros, you have inspired both through the ages. Amen."

It was personally meaningful to me, but at first I was not sure I wanted to share it with anyone. However, about a week later, in Hermanillos, I met a family walking with their son, who had just returned from Afghanistan, and I truly realized what I had written when I shared it with them.

The second was Santiago, when I was reunited with my youngest daughter. As they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words'

image.jpg

The Warrior & the Pilgrim:

"People may not see the connection between the warrior & the pilgrim. Let me tell you what I know. They both know Spartan conditions, heat, cold, pain, trust, loneliness, fellowship, heartbreak, loss, but above all- honor. They are guided by an ideal that others may never see or know- but it is there, always.

For some the pressure may become too much and even after their return they may be unable to cope. This is the reality that is not shown in movies or written about in books. So I ask you St James to look over the pilgrim and the warrior- for as the Peregrino and Matamoros, you have inspired both through the ages. Amen."
It's really beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Hi Mike. And welcome to the forum. Of the many Haiku poets, Basho is my favourite. Five weeks!....you must be very excited. How well I know that feeling. I wish you Buen Camino and everything you wish for yourself.
Maggie, Thanks for your good wishes. I found a copy of Basho's "The Narrow Road To The Deep North" tucked away in my bookshelf, will take it with me and dip into it as I walk. I'm listening to "Don Quixote" as I train. I will spend a week in Madrid with a side trip to Cervantes' Toledo before my Camino Frances. I notice that you live in Victoria. My dad retired there, died 10 yrs ago. I'm American (born), Canadian (early life) and now Australian (came out here on my own at 21). My road leads to Spain next. That'll make it 4 passports! Buen Camino.

Maggie, Thanks for your good wishes. I found a copy of Basho's "The Narrow Road To The Deep North" tucked away in my bookshelf, will take it with me and dip into it as I walk. I'm listening to "Don Quixote" as I train. I will spend a week in Madrid with a side trip to Cervantes' Toledo before my Camino Frances. I notice that you live in Victoria. My dad retired there, died 10 yrs ago. I'm American (born), Canadian (early life) and now Australian (came out here on my own at 21). My road leads to Spain next. That'll make it 4 passports! Buen Camino.
Well you have me beat by one. I have Canadian, U.S. and EU passports . Add the inspiration of the Camino to what you are reading now, you are in for your journey of a lifetime. Keep us posted.

€46,-
I suppose the one moment that choked me up the most was on my first Camino while I was in the pilgrim's office in SJPdP getting my pilgrim's passport. I could barely talk to the volunteer. No tears, but could hardly talk. Caught me off-guard. I kept thinking what the heck man, get yourself together. I suppose it just hit me at that moment that I was actually going to start walking the Camino. Culmination of a long journey just to get there.

The bridge leading into Santiago from the VDLP where the train crash occurred. It was almost the anniversary too. It felt appropriate to leave a rosary I had been given along the way there.
Saying goodbye to my camino buddy that I had met in Alcuescar and ended up walking with to SdC. That really made the end of the journey seem real. St James Day was hard and I was teary all the way out of Santiago as I started for Finisterre.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm from far away from the Camino--Oregon. It is much more expensive to purchase airfare and a much longer trip to Europe for west coast Americans than it is for many people.

It had been a long, emotional period of time--four years--and I knew that walking Camino Frances would be something very important and special for me. I was carrying a lot of baggage after losing both parents, which took me back to losing my favorite person in the world--my brother, who looked very much like me and was the only person I really loved and trusted as a teenager.

So, after all that planning, fretting, anticipating, retiring--before the Camino--, getting my stepdaughter's wedding planned and finished, hopping a flight, and taxiing, crossing the Pyrenees, and walking for about a week, I finally called my husband from the large wide steps of an Albergue.

Sitting on the steps, completely exhausted, I used FaceTime for the very first time and saw my husband. I burst into tears and cried for at least a minute, and could NOT control myself in any way. My husband just smiled and said all the right things, and was amazed that from halfway around the world, we could use little phones to see each other, and it was a moment.

Was this related to the Camino, or to Camino magic? Of course. Crying is wonderful for the soul, and we can't always just make crying happen. But when we see the face of love and understand the huge sacrifice of time, effort, money--to get to an ancient pilgrimage--we understand better the enormity of endeavor, intent, and the call.

Cruz de Ferro?

I had kind of an unusual experience there. There were two gentlemen, one on the east side, and one on the west. The gentleman on the east side wanted to talk to me about the stones I had brought. I am not much of a talker about such things when they are going on, so I was friendly but let him move on. At the cross, I saw a very moving collection of school photos of a beautiful and young Asian girl. Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, awkward middle years, teen years...13 little photographs, culminating in a photo of a young 18-year-old, pretty and confident. The photos were neatly held together with a rubber band, and they had not been there all that long. I flashed back to losing Denise Thiem early that year; before my journey to Spain in September, her body had just been found. Clearly, these photos had been left by a mom, a dad, a sibling? Perhaps this girl had died in a car accident? Anyway, it was obvious that someone had invested years of love and care in this girl. Who but a parent would have all those years of photos? I then thought of my brother. Gone at 18. My parents so busy in their own grief that they didn't notice me free-falling into depression and substance abuse. Fortunately, I survived myself.

So, I crossed over the rocks and went to the bench on the other side. There, I saw that the bench had been provided by a group--I don't remember whom. I was glad, though, and appreciative. I sat there and just quietly shed a few tears and was in the moment with all of the emotion and loss experienced by so many others. That's when the west guy walked up with his beautiful little dog, long flowing hair and blue eyes. An older gentleman--in his 60's at least--he had started the walk much earlier that day. I saw him when I was at a square pool of water, kind of a fountain. He had driven up, gotten his little dog out, gotten his stick out, and started walking. Now he was hiking back.

He let me pet his dog, and we exchanged friendly words--and he was a very gentle, handsome, kind person. I am sure that he was one of those angels unawares who notices people and just does the right thing. His little dog--a Jack Russel terrier--frolicked around and brought a smile to my face.

The weather started moving in again--a little wind arose, and it was a bitterly cold day. I bid the fellow goodbye, and he hiked through the trees on the opposite side of the road. I got up and began a long walk. It was an early November day.

I have mentioned above my experience at the Cruz de Ferro, which was very emotional but far from inspiring. I should like to say a brief word for those busloads of pilgrims who may arrive there en masse, disturbing the meditations of walking pilgrims. A friend of mine was one of them a couple of years ago. An older priest with health issues, he could not have walked a pilgrimage, although he said that the bus stopped at one point to let out the passengers to walk a ways. He is a wonderful devout man who made his pilgrimage the only way he could. I am glad that places like the cruz de ferro are accessible to such people and so grateful for the time and health that I had to walk a longer and slower way. We are all one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cruz de Ferro and Alto del Perdon was really emotional for me.

Also, the big wooden cross after the village Atapuerca. Actually I think this was the most emotional moment for me.

I had been crying all night. I thought a lot about my life, what I was doing with it, where I was going. I had a lot of ghosts to kill, and feelings to identify so that I could finally put them aside. I guess it was a small identity crisis, and I wanted to change some sides of myself into something better, because I did not like myself. I avoided my partner, and our Camino family the next morning. I just couldn't look him or them in the eyes, because I knew they would see my vulnerable state of mind, and the fact that I had been crying all night, while they were asleep. I don't like to show my "weaker" sides.

I broke down at the cross, and sat down by a bench a few meters away. Pilgrims had gathered small and big rocks, and formed a large heart right in front of it. My partner saw me, and sat beside me, and finally I let him see me and let him know, that I wasn't okay. We talked, and I cried, and he held me. Some of the other pilgrims saw us when passing us, and one of the elderly women began crying. She took a picture of us and said, that she had laid a stone for love at the cross, and then she saw us, and our love for each other.

I will never forget that.

Not so much emotional, as deeply touched by so many small things along the way.

The sound of birds, running water and cowbells brought a deep sense of peace and well-being
I felt 'cloistered' and safe through the many forest trails
I loved all the 'nothingness' on the Meseta
The 'Godliness' of nature
A lone woman singing in one of the smaller churches
The wife who must have walked 20 mins and very quickly to catch up to me so she could return my glasses I had left at their little stand where they were selling fruit & water.
I welled up a couple of times just by seeing familiar faces at the cafes/bars (having walked alone a most of the journey)
Such kindliness from so many along the way (Google translate wanted to use Kinkiness)
The surprise birthday cake from Nate and Faith at Pilgrim House in Santiago

So much more, but 'nuf for now.

I'm from far away from the Camino--Oregon. It is much more expensive to purchase airfare and a much longer trip to Europe for west coast Americans than it is for many people.

It had been a long, emotional period of time--four years--and I knew that walking Camino Frances would be something very important and special for me. I was carrying a lot of baggage after losing both parents, which took me back to losing my favorite person in the world--my brother, who looked very much like me and was the only person I really loved and trusted as a teenager.

So, after all that planning, fretting, anticipating, retiring--before the Camino--, getting my stepdaughter's wedding planned and finished, hopping a flight, and taxiing, crossing the Pyrenees, and walking for about a week, I finally called my husband from the large wide steps of an Albergue.

Sitting on the steps, completely exhausted, I used FaceTime for the very first time and saw my husband. I burst into tears and cried for at least a minute, and could NOT control myself in any way. My husband just smiled and said all the right things, and was amazed that from halfway around the world, we could use little phones to see each other, and it was a moment.

Was this related to the Camino, or to Camino magic? Of course. Crying is wonderful for the soul, and we can't always just make crying happen. But when we see the face of love and understand the huge sacrifice of time, effort, money--to get to an ancient pilgrimage--we understand better the enormity of endeavor, intent, and the call.

Cruz de Ferro?

I had kind of an unusual experience there. There were two gentlemen, one on the east side, and one on the west. The gentleman on the east side wanted to talk to me about the stones I had brought. I am not much of a talker about such things when they are going on, so I was friendly but let him move on. At the cross, I saw a very moving collection of school photos of a beautiful and young Asian girl. Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, awkward middle years, teen years...13 little photographs, culminating in a photo of a young 18-year-old, pretty and confident. The photos were neatly held together with a rubber band, and they had not been there all that long. I flashed back to losing Denise Thiem early that year; before my journey to Spain in September, her body had just been found. Clearly, these photos had been left by a mom, a dad, a sibling? Perhaps this girl had died in a car accident? Anyway, it was obvious that someone had invested years of love and care in this girl. Who but a parent would have all those years of photos? I then thought of my brother. Gone at 18. My parents so busy in their own grief that they didn't notice me free-falling into depression and substance abuse. Fortunately, I survived myself.

So, I crossed over the rocks and went to the bench on the other side. There, I saw that the bench had been provided by a group--I don't remember whom. I was glad, though, and appreciative. I sat there and just quietly shed a few tears and was in the moment with all of the emotion and loss experienced by so many others. That's when the west guy walked up with his beautiful little dog, long flowing hair and blue eyes. An older gentleman--in his 60's at least--he had started the walk much earlier that day. I saw him when I was at a square pool of water, kind of a fountain. He had driven up, gotten his little dog out, gotten his stick out, and started walking. Now he was hiking back.

He let me pet his dog, and we exchanged friendly words--and he was a very gentle, handsome, kind person. I am sure that he was one of those angels unawares who notices people and just does the right thing. His little dog--a Jack Russel terrier--frolicked around and brought a smile to my face.

The weather started moving in again--a little wind arose, and it was a bitterly cold day. I bid the fellow goodbye, and he hiked through the trees on the opposite side of the road. I got up and began a long walk. It was an early November day.
Thanks for your elegant and intimate stories. I don't expect anything from the Camino Frances (April '16) but will allow whatever happens. I wonder if you've noticed any posts by movinmaggie? Her signature is a quote by Basho:"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home."

I've experienced a lot of loss, much of it recent. Jen and I had 3 sons. One died many years ago, aged two and a half. Our second-born son died 5 years ago aged 35. He left a granddaughter who is now almost 7 yrs old. Jen was fighting cancer at the time of Adam's death and survived until 2 years ago. Our youngest son was devastated, his big brother was his best friend and then his mother was gone. But Jesse and his partner had twin girls a few months ago - they were born on my birthday. I have another son in Canada - I met him for a few minutes when he was a day old and met him again 5 years ago when he was 47.

Fortunately, I've never suffered from depression. There are many in Syria and such places who have suffered terribly - my life is a joy in comparison. I put one foot ahead of the other, walking with those I am so fortunate to love.

I'm not religious in a formal sense. I am interested in a handful of philosophical/non-theistic "religions" such as Zen Buddhism and Taoism.

This forum is also a Camino. The Camino is the people we meet on our shared journey.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Thanks for your elegant and intimate stories. I don't expect anything from the Camino Frances (April '16) but will allow whatever happens. I wonder if you've noticed any post uhs by movinmaggie? Her signature is a quote by Basho:"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home."

I've experienced a lot of loss, much of it recent. Jen and I had 3 sons. One died many years ago, aged two and a half. Our second-born son died 5 years ago aged 35. He left a granddaughter who is now almost 7 yrs old. Jen was fighting cancer at the time of Adam's death and survived until 2 years ago. Our youngest son was devastated, his big brother was his best friend and then his mother was gone. But Jesse and his partner had twin girls a few months ago - they were born on my birthday. I have another son in Canada - I met him for a few minutes when he was a day old and meet him again 5 years ago when he was 47.

Fortunately, I've never suffered from depression. There are many in Syria and such places who have suffered terribly - my life is a joy in comparison. I put one foot ahead of the other, walking with those I am so fortunate to love.

I'm not religious in a formal sense. I am interested in a handful of philosophical/non-theistic "religions" such as Zen Buddhism and Taoism.

This forum is also a Camino. The Camino is the people we meet on our shared journey.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Mike my heart goes out to you Mike. I am deeply touched that you were able to share this. You certainly are in understanding company here as others have shared their posts. I have no formal religion, butyears of T'ai Chi

Mike my heart goes out to you Mike. I am deeply touched that you were able to share this. You certainly are in understanding company here, as others have shared their posts. I have no formal religion, but years of T'ai Chi and past several years, studies in Buddhisim. Through my darkest times I have always sought time in the mountains for nurturing. This is a 2-part post, having hit
The key too soon first time.

Emotional. Oh was I emotional when I realised I would be walking back UP that ridiculously steep descent into Campomanes on the San Salvador coz one of the kids had dropped his socks off his pack. I RAGED up that hill! I was furious with the son and madder at myself for not sending him back to reap the consequences of his stoopid actions! I came back down in tears after finding the socks, with the realisation that grace is undeserved and immeasurable.

I cried the day I discovered my daughter had been hurt far away in India and I was stuck in Spain and her Daddy was in NZ and we couldn't be there for her.
I cried a couple of weeks later when my father-in-law, who by now was in India with my daughter, heard worse news: his brother had died in NZ - and he chose to stay with her rather than return for the funeral.
I cried on the way back from Finisterre to Santiago when it had been raining for a couple of days and it was my wedding anniversary and hubby was in NZ and I felt bad at not being there and we nearly took a bus and the albergue was full!
I don't cry much at home;-)

A few days ago I mentioned the importance of the Monumento de los Caidos.

I grew up in a family a refugees, from Spain, to camps in France. With a great uncle who suffered every day from his civil war injuries, when a bomb hit his home, while he was in his bath.

When I walked the Camino the fisrt time, it was after my mother's passing. I brought her home, with a little rock, just like in the movie, but with a stone from the grave yard where she now is.

I did not know about this monument before heading out. Just carried a tiny stone, but more importantly a handkirchief that belonged to my grand father. And that is where I left it.

Thanks for your elegant and intimate stories. I don't expect anything from the Camino Frances (April '16) but will allow whatever happens. I wonder if you've noticed any posts by movinmaggie? Her signature is a quote by Basho:"Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home."

I've experienced a lot of loss, much of it recent. Jen and I had 3 sons. One died many years ago, aged two and a half. Our second-born son died 5 years ago aged 35. He left a granddaughter who is now almost 7 yrs old. Jen was fighting cancer at the time of Adam's death and survived until 2 years ago. Our youngest son was devastated, his big brother was his best friend and then his mother was gone. But Jesse and his partner had twin girls a few months ago - they were born on my birthday. I have another son in Canada - I met him for a few minutes when he was a day old and meet him again 5 years ago when he was 47.

Buen Camino, - Mike

This is going to sound very strange, but your losses are very comforting to me to hear about, as I know so few people who have lost as many people as I have. I am so comforted to know someone who seems to be so settled and stable in all this grief that life can bring.

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost two sons and your wife, but very glad to know about Jesse and his partner's twin girls. What a wonderful blessing that they were born on your birthday.And you have another son in Canada...one to get to know a bit? I used the word "blessing" there in a respectful way, thinking of your relationship with Buddhism and Taoism :)

Thank you so much for sharing who you are with all of us here. I was glad that you called attention to MovinMaggie's signature, and also appreciate your wisdom.

Deb

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is going to sound very strange, but your losses are very comforting to me to hear about, as I know so few people who have lost as many people as I have. I am so comforted to know someone who seems to be so settled and stable in all this grief that life can bring.

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost two sons and your wife, but very glad to know about Jesse and his partner's twin girls. What a wonderful blessing that they were born on your birthday.And you have another son in Canada...one to get to know a bit? I used the word "blessing" there in a respectful way, thinking of your relationship with Buddhism and Taoism :)

Thank you so much for sharing who you are with all of us here. I was glad that you called attention to MovinMaggie's signature, and also appreciate your wisdom.

Deb
Deb, I'm very pleased to hear that you found some comfort in my story. I found comfort in yours too. - Buen Camino

Cruz de Ferro?

Deb, I couldn't bring myself to 'like' your post. Without even knowing you, I have felt your strength through this forum. I used to think that 'Loss' was my middle name, but over the years, I have more than come to terms with everything. That's the wonderful thing about growing older. Now I find time even more precious, so I treasure every day. What helped me a lot, was my nine years going to in India to work with children in need. The lessons I learned from them would fill a book (which I am working on), ten years in building my gardens 'up island' and my move to Victoria, BC 15 months ago. You will be familiar with Tillamook. My oldest, dearest and most treasured friend passed away two years ago there. Her her memorial was celebrated in the Haystock Rock area. I left a stone for her on the Camino, but not where most leave them. Bless you Deb.

Deb, I couldn't bring myself to 'like' your post. Without even knowing you, I have felt your strength through this forum. I used to think that 'Loss' was my middle name, but over the years, I have more than come to terms with everything. That's the wonderful thing about growing older. Now I find time even more precious, so I treasure every day. What helped me a lot, was my nine years going to in India to work with children in need. The lessons I learned from them would fill a book (which I am working on), ten years in building my gardens 'up island' and my move to Victoria, BC 15 months ago. You will be familiar with Tillamook. My oldest, dearest and most treasured friend passed away two years ago there. Her her memorial was celebrated in the Haystock Rock area. I left a stone for her on the Camino, but not where most leave them. Bless you Deb.

Maggie dear--and I don't even talk about the hardest losses!

I am very interested in your life experiences, and wondering what years you were in India. I was in Cambodia from 1994 through 2000. I had experiences there that are beyond memorable, life and death experiences, tropics and amputees and temples and war and loss. I don't talk a lot about Cambodia in specifics. Perhaps a book will be there for me too!

Tillamook...my older sister was born there, and my parents lived there after they were first married. Very sorry to hear that your most treasured friend passed, but Haystack Rock is a special place.

Bless you back.

Hi, I must have missed the reference - would you please tell me in more detail where the Civil War monument is. Those who were among the first to resist the fascists deserve enormous respect. I would like to pay my respects as I do at The Communards Wall at Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. - Mike

Hi Mike
We stopped and took several pictures at the monument on a drizzling day that befitted the mood.

D015_0015.JPG D015_0007.JPG

When we got back home I discovered this book Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past[/I] which describes how the graves are being discovered and delves into the silence about them.

Hi Mike
We stopped and took several pictures at the monument on a drizzling day that befitted the mood.

View attachment 24023 View attachment 24024

When we got back home I discovered this book Ghosts of Spain: Travels Through Spain and Its Silent Past[/I] which describes how the graves are being discovered and delves into the silence about them.
Hi, and thanks - I'll check out that book. When we were in Barcelona 3+ yrs ago I tried to book us on an historical walk which wiggled around some of a local area off La Rambla starting in the churchyard where the civil war started! (Could that be right? I'm sure that's what the tour site said.) The website was not very well organised and I couldn't get in touch with the guide in time so we missed out. A good few years ago I saw a documentary about the last few survivors from the American Abraham Lincoln Division of the International Brigades who went to Spain to fight with the Republicans. One guy, chain smoking, stalked like a haunted panther in a cage saying "We fought the good fight and we lost." So I'll drop in at that memorial and think of him and Garcia Lorca and all those murdered by their brothers. There's the silence of shame in France too these days. The recent Paris massacre was an abomination but so was the one in 1961 http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/19/hollande-massacre-algerian-protesters-1961 - Buen Camino, Mike

Maggie dear--and I don't even talk about the hardest losses!

I am very interested in your life experiences, and wondering what years you were in India. I was in Cambodia from 1994 through 2000. I had experiences there that are beyond memorable, life and death experiences, tropics and amputees and temples and war and loss. I don't talk a lot about Cambodia in specifics. Perhaps a book will be there for me too!

Tillamook...my older sister was born there, and my parents lived there after they were first married. Very sorry to hear that your most treasured friend passed, but Haystack Rock is a special place.

Bless you back.
Deb I'll send you a PM re India, so as not to deter from the original topic. Maggie

Like @mspath there were moments on the Camino when the crowds raced past, the path turned a corner and then suddenly I was all alone. It was contrastingly quiet and still - quite mystical under a vast sky - and those moments touched something really deep within me.

Perhaps the stand out emotional moment though was on the steps of the Cathedral in Santiago. Mixed emotions but powerful ones:
  • Relief - I had made it despite carrying a significant injury (not recommended)
  • Exhaustion - more in an emotional sense as we had travelled with a companion and had helped her achieve a long held dream. I'd been drained both physically and emotionally by the effort of all the unexpected extra demands and total change in personality but I had maintained my equanimity, risen above it all and 'kept the show on the road'.
  • Peace - hard to describe but in the years leading up to our Camino both my hubby and I had cared for and lost both sets of parents - my Mum and hubby's father to dementia, Dad to heart failure and hubby's mother to cancer in what could only be described as chaotic family dynamics. Arriving in the Plaza del Obradoiro, it was though a gentle strength had solidified within me.
  • Delight - perhaps this is THE Camino moment. Yes, definitely. An old and dear friend back home in Australia is bravely battling cancer and navigating a bitter divorce. She lived every moment of our Camino with us and I had timed our arrival at the Cathedral so that she could see us on the webcam. Standing on the steps of the Cathedral and waving madly while texting her on the other side of the world was a highlight. Technology can be such a gift at such times. We were all in tears for all sorts of reasons.
  • Realisation - a very strong sense that I would return here and that the next Camino is just for me... these lines came to me, a slightly different take on an often quoted Hillel passage:
If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
and once I am for myself, what am I?
And if not now, when?

D044_039.PNG D044_043.png

Emotional as in 'happy'?

Probably the moment at the very beginning of my first Camino standing there on the bridge over the river at St Jean - amazed that I had, finally, actually, unbelievably, arrived - and intoxicated by the prospect of the adventure ahead of me. A moment that can never be recaptured

Emotional as in 'moved'?

Probably the moment I spent studying the fading monochrome photo of a young man that I found hanging on the side wall of the church in Hornillos - the local boy who'd become a priest and then been shot in Madrid in '36. Made me cry. RIP, hermano.
(Post edited by Ivar, political)

Last edited:
Emotional as in 'happy'?

Probably the moment at the very beginning of my first Camino standing there on the bridge over the river at St Jean - amazed that I had, finally, actually, unbelievably, arrived - and intoxicated with the prospect of the adventure ahead of me. A moment that can never be recaptured

Emotional as in 'moved'?

Probably the moment I spent studying the fading monochrome photo of a young man that I found hanging on the side wall of the church in Hornillos - the local boy who'd become a priest and then been shot in Madrid in '36. RIP, hermano.
That was one of my favorite little village churches on the CF, and that's one of my favorite towns. I think I remember that photo hanging on the wall. Did not know the history behind it.

Edited by Moderator

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Muxia...at the cathederal at the ocean...I knew it was over...but in Santiago the Botafumeiro is still the best show in town...saw it 4x times.
It certainly is the best show in town. My son who had just finished his camino from SJPDP said it was the greatest thing he had seen in all his travels (and he is very well travelled) I agreed with him and shed more than a few tears.

I have deleted a number of posts that offend Rule 2. Please everyone, read the forum rules (bottom right). There are some topics that will inevitably cause offence and they will be deleted.
Thank you Kanga & Ivar. I certainly cringed when I first read the initial comment.

Hello Peregrinos!

Does the bus transfer to the airport of SdC count? Getting home was very emotional too, as was opening my pack when I got there; my woollen hat, a few strands of her beautiful hair from when I lent her the hat at Foncebadon. I had 'camino vision' for as much as a month afterwards, a symptom which affected me greatly.

The monument is the middle of nowhere to honour those killed during the civil war. It says something along the lines of " Their deaths were not in vain, but their shooting (assasination) was". And discovering Eunate. And meditating on the boulders facing the sunset in Muxia. Ah...but I lie. I just saw a picture of Maneru and it reminded me of the moment I believed in Camino Magic.

I breed a rare breed of Spaniels, and it is thought they go back to a Spanish breed called the Pachon de Navarra. It was early morning, on a grey and wet day, before my first cafe con leche. The local bar was closed, I was disappointed. And then there it was. A Pachon! It was as if that moment had been made just for me.

And then there was another early morning, I had left Los Arcos, I think, before sunrise. As I wear glasses, condensation is an issue, and I cannot win: either I can't see due to the condensation or I can't see when I take them off because I am nearsighted. All of a sudden, going uphill along a path between pine trees, I saw a figure. It looked a like a nun, or better yet those drawings, paintings, of the Virgin Mary: white veil, blue dress. I thought I was having a vision! I was startled. Turns out it was a road sign! Round one of top of the post, then rectangular below. I laughed and laughed. I wondered how many other visions through history were due to poor eyesight. o_O

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3 MB · Views: 11
Hello Peregrinos!

For me it was each time I read the scripture in Spanish at a pilgrim Mass. It started as, "Oh, what the hell, I'll ask" in Roncesvalles, and finished on the high altar in Santiago at the Friday evening "swinging" Mass, when I nearly "lost it." I also lost count of the number of times I did it. I think it was sixteen.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 7
I was shocked to see several walkers (I will not call them pilgrims) deliberately mocking the Cruz de Ferro with consciously ridiculous poses, competing with one another to see who could have the most mocking photo taken. I stood on the opposite side of the Cruz de Ferro from them to leave my stones, tributes to a family who had lost their daughter to cancer and to my doctor, who supports a chronically sick sister in a country without public medicare. It rained. I cried, from shock and dismay. It was a very emotional moment.
I attended mass at Barbadelo, just out of Sarria, at the little 12th cent. church of Santiago. This was the only time on my camino when I received the sacrament; as a non-Roman Catholic Christian I was attempting to respect Catholic regulations. It was a very emotional experience in this wonderful church.

So sorry you experienced such a bad situation at the Cruz de ferro Albertagirl. My whole Camino Francès was emotional, but two most weepy moments were upon arrival at Roncescalles, standing alone in front of Santiago statue, and the Cruz, again standing alone. Sobbed both place - out of love and compassion I think, but definitely feeling connected to all pilgrims, past present and future.
Re: non-Catholic receiving sacrament: arriving at Arzacq-Arraziquet, in France on a subsequent camino, I was invited to attend mass while visiting the little church there. At communion, I told the old (93 I think) curé that I hungered for communion but was an Anglican. "Ta, ta, ta" he said, "I don't know that". More tears...
So, don't despair Albertagirl, the good far outweights the bad on the Camino.... as in the world, I guess. Hope that is what stays with you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not being even remotely religious, it was different for me than most.

I was very excited the morning I was walking into Santiago. But arriving was pretty anti-climatic; I couldn't see the city from up the hill as I pictured it in my mind (didn't know you had to go off-route), and walking into the city was just so normal, like any other city... Walking into the Cathedral was disappointing when we found out we had to find an arrangement for the backpacks when all you want to do is go inside and see it! The city is beautiful, but it wasn't how I'd imagined it.

It was walking into Cee on the way to Finisterre that was most emotional for me. Suddenly getting a glance of the blue strip of water in the distance, seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time - you suddenly realize how far you've gone. It was truly beautiful. I'm also more a nature- than a city-person.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
that mass was /is my most emotional memory,Amazing nuns,

For me following the mass at San Juan de Ortega. A fellow Camino walker Ale had sung a beautiful solo. I took a tissue from my pocket to blow my nose and smelled the distinctive perfume of my mother. Mysterious as she had been dead 10 years and these tissues were from Lidl!!! Such a sad but warm loving time for me.

Deb
Heavens, just reading many of these posts have brought tears to my eyes. Some very brave, kind and wonderful people here on this forum and being able to share these things must surely help others on their journey. For me, the most emotional time of the Camino is always when we hit the suburbs of Santiago. I just start crying and keep on crying the whole way to the square. I can't even speak to my husband about how I feel during this time, and when we reach the cathedral I withdraw from everything and just sit on my own for a little while just looking up at the cathedral. It seems crazy I know and hard to explain but even writing about it now makes me feel emotional. Last year, just as we got our compestelas, the man dealing with me stood up and shook my hand and what did I do? Just burst out crying! I felt so embarrassed as I was not expecting to do that but I think he understood.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While trying to put this together.theevening before Cruz de Ferro ladt Juane. just trying to post this sitting in a Templars inn at the hook co wexford ireland brings tears that even now i can't understand.

Attachments

• 2015-06-03 09.02.00.jpg
    2015-06-03 09.02.00.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
Sorry I think I made a mess of that Siamon Mc kinley was a larger then life racing who was killed in co Clair check him out ( the white escort )
Oldman

Hello Peregrinos!

I unloaded a lot of personal baggage at Cruz deal Ferro. It was an emotional climb, experience, and decent.

I found the mass at Carrion de Los Condes at Santa Maria deal Camino church very emotional. At that mass all pilgrims were called forward and each asked their country of origin. The pilgrims were blessed as a group and individually. We were given a token gift made by the nuns. It was an amazing experience.

My glasses popped apart and I took one of the lenses and placed it at the Cruz de Ferro and kept the other. I also placed a stone from a young Italian girl whose father had died recently. I wrote a note to The Lord and wrapped it to the stone. I bent my head down to the pole and wept softly. Another time I was late to some Gregorian music at the monastery at Samos. I stood in the back and wept uncontrollably. I never felt like that before. I am a believer too.
Incidentally, that detour to Samos was one magnificent walk, down through those old oaks and that river valley all
alone!
RicksRicks

Just contemplating what may have been the most emotional place - perhaps moment - on the Camino, seems quite a personal challenge. There have been quite a few 'gifts' at different times and in different places, each of which are wonderful reminders that the Camino is not simply an extended excursion.

On entering the beautiful Church in Lubián (Camino Mozárabe-Sanabrés), which is one of the few that is left open to visit on total trust, I was quite unexpectedly and tremendously moved, and unashamedly burst into tears. Nothing more then being totally moved.

We walked with our 14-15 month old son. We did so with the full knowledge that while it might affect his personality (in a positive way), he wouldn't remember or understand the Camino. We were fine with that. But when he, totally unprompted, reached out to touch the bust of James behind the altar in the cathedral.....you could have heard a pin drop in the room. Even the priest assigned to watch the people walk by stood up and was moved. We hadn't said a word to him about it, didnt point out the bust. Presumably he'd just seen everyone else touch it, but it sure as heck FELT like divine intervention. But when my wife went to walk away (he was in a pack) he leaned out as far as he could (further than id ever seen him lean out) and touched James.

The other emotional element was realizing that for all of the worrying (and planning) we'd done about getting him to adjust to life on the Camino, the far more difficult thing was getting him to adjust to life after the camino. At that age, after 31 days, it had become his "normal" Walking. Eating. Napping. Having strangers flirt with him. And then it was over. And we couldn't even explain why.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I suppose the one moment that choked me up the most was on my first Camino while I was in the pilgrim's office in SJPdP getting my pilgrim's passport. I could barely talk to the volunteer. No tears, but could hardly talk. Caught me off-guard. I kept thinking what the heck man, get yourself together. I suppose it just hit me at that moment that I was actually going to start walking the Camino. Culmination of a long journey just to get there.
Mark, mine is arriving at Praza do Obradoira, every time, five times now, the tears well up and I share the moment with everyone else who has arrived that day at that time. Numero seis will be July 2016. Stay strong my friend.

Mark, mine is arriving at Praza do Obradoira, every time, five times now, the tears well up and I share the moment with everyone else who has arrived that day at that time. Numero seis will be July 2016. Stay strong my friend.
You too, Don. Stay strong and keep the vino flowing.
Cheers and ultreia!

Hi, I found this picture in my foto gallery .
I stayed there for a while, for me it was a special place.
Wish you well, Peter.

Attachments

• 20150430_075542.jpg
    20150430_075542.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not being even remotely religious, it was different for me than most.

I was very excited the morning I was walking into Santiago. But arriving was pretty anti-climatic; I couldn't see the city from up the hill as I pictured it in my mind (didn't know you had to go off-route), and walking into the city was just so normal, like any other city... Walking into the Cathedral was disappointing when we found out we had to find an arrangement for the backpacks when all you want to do is go inside and see it! The city is beautiful, but it wasn't how I'd imagined it.

It was walking into Cee on the way to Finisterre that was most emotional for me. Suddenly getting a glance of the blue strip of water in the distance, seeing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time - you suddenly realize how far you've gone. It was truly beautiful. I'm also more a nature- than a city-person.
Like you, I'm not religious. More curious and philosophical, I like to think. I've had a post removed for a too-vigorous response to a catholic priest (I read the rules more closely after that). The more posts I read, the more I wonder what percentage of Camino travellers are religious. It seems to me that a large majority of people on this forum are religious. My childhood was spent in French Canada in the midst of a Catholic culture. I've since (therefore?) become much more "catholic" re morality and ethics. I've been a vegetarian for 46 years, for instance.

It will be interesting for me to find out if and when I become emotional. My first Camino (Frances) in April. Beauty, including my 3 tiny granddaughters, can turn on the waterworks. I expect it's likely to happen when I'm physically and mentally exhausted. It will be interesting to find out.

Like you, I'm not religious. More curious and philosophical, I like to think. I've had a post removed for a too-vigorous response to a catholic priest (I read the rules more closely after that). The more posts I read, the more I wonder what percentage of Camino travellers are religious. It seems to me that a large majority of people on this forum are religious. My childhood was spent in French Canada in the midst of a Catholic culture. I've since (therefore?) become much more "catholic" re morality and ethics. I've been a vegetarian for 46 years, for instance.

It will be interesting for me to find out if and when I become emotional. I expect it's likely to happen when I'm physically and mentally exhausted. It will be interesting to find out.
It is not religious for me. It is totally spiritual and you can not escape that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is not religious for me. It is totally spiritual and you can not escape that.
I have enormous respect for selflessness. Kindness and friendship (=love minus lust) are god to me. Profound respect for everyone here who seeks truth at the limits of and beyond their understanding. My best friend of 30 years became a religious fundamentalist. He died 15 years ago. Our friendship became very difficult for both of us. A religion that isn't inclusive is, to me, false. But, a zennish thought: Groucho Marks said "I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member." In other words, it seems to me, a searcher must search alone.

Hi Mike, I know how you're feeling "5 weeks to start your camino"...wish you the best of journeys...BUEN CAMINO !!! For me walking into OCebreiro was very emotional, it was magic, a rainy and cold September afternoon, that viewfrom top of the hill...spectacular !!! Also a "cena comunitaria" in Sarria (albergue A porta) great people we met there, everyone had a story about why we were walking "nuestro camino"... Have fun, enjoy every moment....BUEN CAMINO MIKE !!! Saludos, Monica

Hi Mike, I know how you're feeling "5 weeks to start your camino"...wish you the best of journeys...BUEN CAMINO !!! For me walking into OCebreiro was very emotional, it was magic, a rainy and cold September afternoon, that viewfrom top of the hill...spectacular !!! Also a "cena comunitaria" in Sarria (albergue A porta) great people we met there, everyone had a story about why we were walking "nuestro camino"... Have fun, enjoy every moment....BUEN CAMINO MIKE !!! Saludos, Monica
Thanks so much, Monica. My departure date approaches. I walked 16 kms yesterday, boring. Can't wait for the real thing. Buen Camino! - Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Before I write about my most emotional moments, I'd like to thank everyone who has written on this topic. The Camino that I walked last summer meant so much to me. I'm sure I'm in good company in saying that the Camino experience is with us every day and each hour!! Thank you Forum members, and Ivar, for helping keep this experience awake.

So, I could go on forever about this stuff. I only prepared for about a month before leaving Oregon for Porto. The longest "training day" was a two mile walk from my house to the high school and back, without the pack. So, I had practically no idea what to expect, other than I knew I was going.

Three moments at the top of the list:

1) Pure childish happiness and perfect smiles: walking with a Hungarian fellow I'd met the night before at Casa Fernanda--we both agreed that we were probably the slowest people on the Camino, (we joked, "in the entire history of the Camino!!") and would make good walking partners. This was only my second day walking, so knew little of what to expect. We walked at the laziest pace ever created. Loved it. We passed nobody that day/everyone passed us. So... this moment happened-- he and I are walking down a quiet Portuguese village lane, and, down about 100 yards, several teeny young children were giggling, peeking around the corner of their garden rock wall, and waiting for at us to pass the house. When we approached, we saw that they had, with great pride, set up a stand with macrame things that they'd made, and selling them for 1euro. I stopped, smiled happily at these half a dozen youngsters, and said hello. They were all so amazingly exuberant!! Giddy. Smiling. Such BIG smiles. I only knew about three words of Portuguese and they only knew about three words of English. All we did was laugh and giggle and smile together. What a beginners moment for me. I bought one of the items that they were selling and figured I'd just throw it away (pack weight, you know), but give them the euro for their effort. But that ornament became the first, and most precious item attached to my pack. Perfect happiness and smiles--mine and their's. Precious moment.

2) Love and Loss: Only my third day walking. I left Ponte de Lima, walking on my own, feeling like I'd made as many pack adjustments as I could make, etc. A new confidence had emerged. I was a walker. A pilgrim. Headed to Santiago. About 5km outside the city, I came upon a wayside cross. The type with many small stones left by others. So, I told my new pilgrim self, "I'm a pilgrim. It's time to leave a stone for my brother, Chris (whom this trip was dedicated)." So I picked up this random little grey stone and placed it at the base of the cross. BOOM. Deep feelings of incredible Love and Loss welled up from within. Love. And Loss. And, love, again. And then more love. When I was at this wayside cross, an incredible explosion of 'nowness'... defined the remainder of the Camino for me. Blew my socks off. That random... little... grey... stone.

3) "Perfect. They are all Perfect" (Ken Watenabe, in 'Last Samurai', when reflecting on cherry blossoms): I'd made it to Santiago. Met wonderful people along the way. Saw extraordinary sites on virtually every step of the way. But, I'd finished the walk in half the time. (My daily 10km expectation was far below what I actually did. I remember the first day when I hit the 10km mark, which was at about 11am that morning, and paused for about three minutes, maybe two, and then walked on. So much for planning one's Camino.) Santiago was amazing--the happily cheering groups, the church services, the many pilgrims. But, after three nights, I moved on to Finesterre. I had an amazingly tranquil place to stay above the city. I walked to the lighthouse on my first full day. I figured that this would be, in a way, just a kind of touristy day for me--my Camino had "officially ended", I told myself, in Santiago. For some reason though, each step towards 'the end' seemed to add potency and power and beauty to every previous step I'd taken. I figured I'd spend an hour at the lighthouse and then wander back to my pension. But, I stayed, walked, wandered, listened, gazed, sat...captured for hours and hours at 'the end' of the world. I was filled with the most amazing feelings of...utter tranquility, contentedness, happiness and peace. Blissful. Another BOOM moment out of the blue.... Didn't see that one coming.....

And then, there's #4, and #5.... And #6.....

I could include at least 500 powerful emotional experiences. Probably 5000. I don't think there is enough space on the website!!!!

Love to you all.

Totally agree with you Kip, this forum is my "link" to El Camino, thanks to all the members for sharing and for being part of MI CAMINO !!!! :)
Buen Camino to all !!!!

For me, the most moving times were at the albergue in Orisson (where we really met our first pilgrims who shared - or held in - incredible stories of their journeys so far and reasons for their Caminos), Roncevalles (a truly historic tiny village), Cruz de Ferro (for obvious reasons - at least obvious to most people) and at the English language mass in Santiago cathedral (as a C&E churchgoer but otherwise devout Catholic, to have the sunbeam shine down through the window and hit you on the head as the fantastic priest consecrates communion during an intimate mass, well... it has to be special).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It will be interesting for me to find out if and when I become emotional. My first Camino (Frances) in April. Beauty, including my 3 tiny granddaughters, can turn on the waterworks. I expect it's likely to happen when I'm physically and mentally exhausted. It will be interesting to find out.
The statistics from the pilgrim's office in Santiago seem to show that only about 4%-5% of pilgrims didn't walk for religious/spiritual reasons (i don't remember the exact figures but you can find them easily online). I think they should break the groups apart: non-religious and non-spiritual, spiritual, and religious. Just because I'm curius. ;) BTW, it seems some people also say it was religious/spiritual because they don't want to get a "fake" compostela (you get a different paper if you didn't walk for religious or spiritual reasons). I have no problem with my "fake" compostela! It's just as pretty, and they've recently changed it to make it look nicer. It's also written in Latin now, like the "real" one.

(Post edit: Made myself look at this year's statistics. It seems like I was wrong and they do break the groups apart. Also the numbers are changing... http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgrims-office/statistics/ See under Peregrinos por Motivacion)

My own experience at least shows that most people will be at least somewhat spiritual. However "spiritual" is difficult to define sometimes, and "finding yourself" isn't always a mystical experience. I got the non-religious compostela because I didn't think I had a "spiritual" experience. But I'm a skeptic :)
From Sarria on you'll meet many more religious pilgrims, or at least, that's what I've seen.

I hope you have an amazing, emotional experience! Buen camino Mike.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back